Fifty Years Later...

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Fifty Years Later...

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The Village Voice is digitizing its archive. I was looking for a particular story (anyone with late January 1977 issues lying around, give me a call) and stumbled onto this:

Jethro Tull, 50 Years On. Should We Care?
The Voice never much liked Ian Anderson and crew. Is it time to give the old sod on the park bench a break?

Like this guy, I've long thought Tull never truly fit the prog rock genre. As the guy says on The Wall, "How can you have any prog rock if you don't play your synths?!?" They're just rock. Though when I was a teen I did think of them as prog rock, but Tull, ELP, Genesis, and Procol Harum was pretty much all the prog rock bands I loved. I had Autobahn and a couple of Kansas records and one by Triumverate I liked, but I seldom played my Yes or Pink Floyd.

But enough about Tull--or is it?--and way more than enough about me. What other bands have lasted fifty years and are getting reassessed lately?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

scotto

Re: Fifty Years Later...

Post by scotto »

Well, they do have the flute and pretentiousness, so that would put them squarely in the prog camp. But, back in high school when I liked them OK--and who didn't back in high school?--they were more rock and roll. I'm not sure "prog" was even a thing back then (late '70s), but the bands who subsequently fell under that banner weren't at all like Tull, again, flutes and pretentiousness notwithstanding. Besides, Ian Anderson had a full-throated raspy rock and roll voice. Don't prog bands require a castrato?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Benefit is a stone-cold classic record. i really love it. no wonder Iommi was a Tull member for a few weeks. he saw it.

worrierking

Post by worrierking »

There is a reason adolescent males pick up guitars rather than flutes. Nothing Tull did changes any of that.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

worrierking wrote:There is a reason adolescent males pick up guitars rather than flutes. Nothing Tull did changes any of that.
:twisted:

https://open.spotify.com/track/6tMRsQ9n ... TxUWzYJqEQ

John A Arkansawyer

tinnitus photography wrote:Benefit is a stone-cold classic record. i really love it. no wonder Iommi was a Tull member for a few weeks. he saw it.
I've probably listened to it more than to any other Tull record, though if I had to Pick One Song, it'd be "Teacher".
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

tinnitus photography wrote:Benefit is a stone-cold classic record.
Amen.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

LBRod wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:Benefit is a stone-cold classic record.
Amen.
Double Amen.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Gimme Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, Songs From The Wood, and a collection of other notables, I'm good with that.
Now it's dark.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

worrierking wrote:There is a reason adolescent males pick up guitars rather than flutes. Nothing Tull did changes any of that.
I knew a guy that picked up Ian's flute. Ian was not a happy camper. It's somewhere in Jax.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

John A Arkansawyer

Flea wrote:Gimme Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, Songs From The Wood, and a collection of other notables, I'm good with that.
You know, this is one of the most solid five-record starts to a band: This Was, Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Thick As A Brick.

John A Arkansawyer