Stevie Ray Vaughan

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ChicoHarris

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post by ChicoHarris »

Stevie Ray Vaughan died 20 years ago today.
I did not find out until a week or so later, as I was at sea in the Bering, off the coast of Alaska. A plane dropped mail and a letter from my mother ended with:
“P.S. Isn’t it a shame about Stevie Ray Vaughan?” and I thought, “What?”
Grand in my memory is seeing him in Memphis with Brian Setzer opening. They ended the show jamming together and it was sublime.
"Pride and Joy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU0MF8pwktg
Last edited by ChicoHarris on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuthierJustin

Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn

Post by LuthierJustin »

Vaughan**
awesome ACL video where he breaks a string mid-song
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Alpine Valley (where he played his last show and died nearby) is about 25 minutes from where I sit. At the time I lived about an hour away but actually had tickets for the show. The thing was that I had seen SRV twice in the previous six months, had also seen Clapton once during that time so when I had a chance to see Santana, who I had never seen, for free at a competing and closer shed (the late unlamented Poplar Creek) I sold my tickets to friends and instead went with a group to Santana. One of my few regrets in life is that I couldn't have seen him play that one last time.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

This has 8m hits on youtube. That is quite a tribute to the man if you think about it.