Elvis 68 Comeback Special on the big screen

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Elvis 68 Comeback Special on the big screen

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Tomorrow is the 41st anniversary of the death of Elvis (his truth is marching on :cry: :cry: :cry: ), and the 68 Comeback Special is being shown in theaters (also shown on August 20). If the theater here in Chico is showing it, I imagine it is nationwide. Locally it is a 7:30 PM showtime.

If you've never seen this, run, don't walk, to the theater. It deserves every bit of its exalted reputation

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

scotto

Re: Elvis 68 Comeback Special on the big screen

Post by scotto »

This was such a big deal.
I became an Elvis fan thanks to my friend's big brother's Elvis records and watching those "travelogues" that were local TV staples. This coincided with the special and I remember watching it when it aired. It was sponsored by Singer and Singer sewing machine stores gave away a choice of two Elvis pictures to promote the show: One of him with Santa (it aired in December) and one of him in the leather jacket. Being a hip 8-year-old, I chose the leather jacket pic.
Two things: Can you imagine a time when sewing machine stores were common and a time when a major rock star's TV special would be sponsored by a sewing machine company?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

My favorite part of that is the "unplugged" part where the Big E plays with the ol' guys in his original bad Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Rocky wrote:My favorite part of that is the "unplugged" part where the Big E plays with the ol' guys in his original bad Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana.
Then never played with them again.