What was the last record (so far) that amazed you?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

What was the last record (so far) that amazed you?

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I mean a record that completely rocked your world and changed what you thought of when you thought about music. I've had a few: Freak Out, Highway 61 Revisited, White Light/White Heat, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Radio Ethiopia, Hooker 'n' Heat, Telephone Free Landslide Victory, Southern Rock Opera, but I haven't had one since this one, a couple years after it came out:

It was like someone left Bruce Springsteen out overnight. He still tasted okay at first but a little weird, and after a while you got this queasy feeling. I'd never heard anything like it before. It obsessed me for weeks.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

dogstar

Re: What was the last record (so far) that amazed you?

Post by dogstar »

I heard this playing in a record shop a couple of years ago and it completely blew me away. Needless to say I bought a copy there and then.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

scotto

Post by scotto »

Maybe this is cheating since it's already amazed all of us (well, most of us) a long time ago and this is essentially gilding the lily, as it were, but when this came out I couldn't get enough of it, played it back to back to back to back. Yeah, I still go back to the originals for day-to-day play (they're outtakes for a reason, for the most part), but as a document of fevered creativity, this amazed me. Judges' ruling?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I don't know about the last one, but the first one that pops into my head was way back in 1990 or 1991.

As I was evolving my musical tastes in early high school, I was getting into progressively heavier music. I went from Guns N' Roses to Metallica, which was a pretty big jump for a 13 year old (...And Justice For All). But then I was at a party and someone put on "The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste" by Ministry and it completely blew my mind. I had no idea that music could be THAT heavy/fast. It was just brutal and angry and relentless, and it send me down a path of exploring more industrial music, eventually leading me to bands like Nine Inch Nails.

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

scotto wrote:Maybe this is cheating since it's already amazed all of us (well, most of us) a long time ago...as a document of fevered creativity, this amazed me. Judges' ruling?

If it's a document of fevered creativity, it's definitely the sort of thing I'm asking about. You know how the first Randy Newman album, the one normal people just call "the Randy Newman album", is actually titled Randy Newman (Creates Something New Under The Sun)? That's the sort of thing I mean--something relentlessly creative, and I think something at least a little of its moment in time.

So yeah. Something so creative you went "Jesus H Kennedy!" when you first heard it. Bone Machine. Little Earthquakes. Randy Newman (Creates Something New Under The Sun), for that matter. Nothing quite like it before. But as you suspected, I'm most interested in the most recently created record like that which you've heard. If this were science, I'd be tracking age you heard it at and age differential between you and it, but this is just an old man's idle curiosity.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be