Guided by Voices/Robert Pollard

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: Guided by Voices/Robert Pollard

Post by tinnitus photography »

yeah that Lexo record is incredible! so good.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:06 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:30 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:04 pm
Robert indicated Saturday that there's another GBV in the can too.
Tremblers & Goggles By Rank slated for July.

Lizard On The Red Brick Wall
Alex Bell
Unproductive Funk
Roosevelt's Marching Band
Goggles By Rank
Cartoon Fashion (Bongo Lake)
Boomerang
Focus On The Flock
Puzzle Two
Who Wants to Go Hunting

Out 7/1/22

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Tremblers and Goggles by Rank (2022)

Is Robert Pollard finally showing signs of slowing down? Ten songs? That’s all you got, Bob? Before we start thinking about putting Pollard out to pasture, this lineup’s thirteenth album since 2017 may contain eighteen songs less than the classic Alien Lanes, but its ten songs clock in at a mere three minutes shy of the 1995 masterpiece. Tremblers and Goggles by Rank is a ten-song album devoid of snippets or anything that could be classified as filler. Guided By Voices’ second full-length record of 2022 is tight as fuck and mines from all of Pollard’s 4 Ps – pop, punk, psych & prog. I’ve said it before and as long as it is the case, I will continue to champion this lineup’s ability to crank out relevant, fresh material at such an insanely blistering pace. The official release notes, always an enjoyable read of well-written hyperbole, sums things up nicely:
Tremblers And Goggles By Rank marks a new phase in Robert Pollard's songwriting evolution. His songs have always included non-traditional approaches to form and song structure, but with this album, he has pushed it further than ever. While the familiar Guided by Voices pop-craft and melodic virtuosity always occupies center stage, the first-time listener will never be able to predict what's coming next in a song. "Alex Bell" and "Focus On The Flock" are the two anchors, each one expansive and filled with rock grandeur, and both exemplifying the complex wordplay, melodies, and structures that are hallmarks of the album. GBV's latest batch of brilliant songs ride on colorful psychedelic flourishes and brash post-punk textures that make this ten-song album a one-of-a-kind head trip. While there are hooks and earworms aplenty within, this album is a complex and kaleidoscopic journey, representing a new echelon in the Guided by Voices universe. It represents another level of songwriting and performance from the group. It plays out like an intricate and powerful collage, in a very multicolored and multi-faceted fashion; a work grand in scale and undertaking. There are triumphant and glorious choruses, deep and dark wormholes, sinewy twists and turns, bold and theatrical bravados, massive cliffs, plateaus, peaks, and valleys-these emotional landscapes reach new and unexpected heights along the way.
As one of Pollard’s biggest musical heroes and inspirations famously asked fifty-five years ago, “Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I’m sixty-four?” With two fantastic albums (Crystal Nuns Cathedral, Trembles and Goggles by Rank) under his belt since turning sixty-four last October, and no signs of slowing down any time soon, the answer to Paul’s question is an emphatic, “Yes!”

1. Lizard on a Red Brick Wall – Wire-esque post-punk/prog rocker to kick things off. Kevin March’s thunderous drumming and those synths compete for space. Synths get sucked into a vacuum and smothered before eventually giving out. March is pronounced the winner. Impressive opening statement/tone setter. “We write the songs about the planets and stars.” (9)
2. Alex Bell – The lead “single” from the album is power pop/prog hybrid gem from Pollard. Taking a stylistic detour or two, it’s also a rare GBV track that makes it beyond the five-minute mark. If you get off Exit 13 to Chris Chilton Ave., you take your first left onto Alex Bell Pk. Plenty of power chords and hooks for the fans to revel in. “I see you around every time there’s a ghost in town.” (9)
3. Unproductive Funk – Big, dense riff announces this track. Swagger Bob on full display. Gillard laying down some wicked guitar lines on this lean, propulsive rocker. “Okay, no – forget it, just back off. Horizons offer nothing, just whack off.” (8)
4. Roosevelt’s Marching Band – This song is so familiarly GBV, yet comes off sounding fresh and original. The tempo is dialed down a bit from the previous three tracks, but that doesn’t mean it is devoid of hooks. Love the groove the band cooks up and Gillard continues to thrill with his guitar wizardry. This is my favorite song on the album. “I’m drowning in a loser’s cycle, week to week.” (10)
5. Goggles by Rank – The previous track bleeds into the title track to conclude side one. Tempo and energy are cranked back up. March, once again, getting after his kit with ferocity. Song undergoes an abrupt stylistic shift at the 1:49 mark. “An index of flesh wounds in naked truth magazine.” (8)
6. Cartoon Fashion (Bongo Lake) – The brilliance of Robert Pollard is on full display on the side two opener. On a song that clocks in at just under three minutes, Bob breaks it into four distinct sections (a. All Sick Again; b. Bongo Lake; c. Letter Man, Better Man; d. Bring on the Frobs) and manages to blend it together seamlessly. Another mini prog masterpiece to add to the catalog. All sorts of vocal stylings utilized. “Well, who the fuck are you?” (9)
7. Boomerang – More of a plodding, grinding track that brings to mind the classic lineup. Sounds like it is about to fall apart into the bridge before triumphantly rallying to a lighters-up conclusion. “We love truth, but speak of it all wrong.” (7)
8. Focus on the Flock – Another vigorous power pop ass-shaker. Just enough punch to balance out the creaminess. Doug with a great string arrangement to add some excellent texture. “Truckers suck on the hot rod’s patience in limbo down at the pinball station.” (8.5)
9. Puzzle Two – This track will sneak up on you. A moody, brooding, ominous arrangement with Gillard letting loose in the latter half. Pollard and his bandmates wade into the doom metal end of the pool with some dashes of prog thrown in for good measure. Gillard puts your speakers through a workout. “There’s always a mystery.” (9)
10. Who Wants to Go Hunting? – Sprawling, epic prog rocker to wrap things up. I’ve said it several times over the course of these write-ups – Pollard is a master sequencer. He has few peers in this realm. It is extremely rare that GBV will stretch out in this fashion, but I love when it occurs. “All new research. . . Popular t-shirts.” (9)
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:52 pm
Tremblers and Goggles by Rank (2022)

Is Robert Pollard finally showing signs of slowing down? Ten songs? That’s all you got, Bob? Before we start thinking about putting Pollard out to pasture, this lineup’s thirteenth album since 2017 may contain eighteen songs less than the classic Alien Lanes, but its ten songs clock in at a mere three minutes shy of the 1995 masterpiece. Tremblers and Goggles by Rank is a ten-song album devoid of snippets or anything that could be classified as filler. Guided By Voices’ second full-length record of 2022 is tight as fuck and mines from all of Pollard’s 4 Ps – pop, punk, psych & prog. I’ve said it before and as long as it is the case, I will continue to champion this lineup’s ability to crank out relevant, fresh material at such an insanely blistering pace. The official release notes, always an enjoyable read of well-written hyperbole, sums things up nicely:
Tremblers And Goggles By Rank marks a new phase in Robert Pollard's songwriting evolution. His songs have always included non-traditional approaches to form and song structure, but with this album, he has pushed it further than ever. While the familiar Guided by Voices pop-craft and melodic virtuosity always occupies center stage, the first-time listener will never be able to predict what's coming next in a song. "Alex Bell" and "Focus On The Flock" are the two anchors, each one expansive and filled with rock grandeur, and both exemplifying the complex wordplay, melodies, and structures that are hallmarks of the album. GBV's latest batch of brilliant songs ride on colorful psychedelic flourishes and brash post-punk textures that make this ten-song album a one-of-a-kind head trip. While there are hooks and earworms aplenty within, this album is a complex and kaleidoscopic journey, representing a new echelon in the Guided by Voices universe. It represents another level of songwriting and performance from the group. It plays out like an intricate and powerful collage, in a very multicolored and multi-faceted fashion; a work grand in scale and undertaking. There are triumphant and glorious choruses, deep and dark wormholes, sinewy twists and turns, bold and theatrical bravados, massive cliffs, plateaus, peaks, and valleys-these emotional landscapes reach new and unexpected heights along the way.
As one of Pollard’s biggest musical heroes and inspirations famously asked fifty-five years ago, “Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I’m sixty-four?” With two fantastic albums (Crystal Nuns Cathedral, Trembles and Goggles by Rank) under his belt since turning sixty-four last October, and no signs of slowing down any time soon, the answer to Paul’s question is an emphatic, “Yes!”

1. Lizard on a Red Brick Wall – Wire-esque post-punk/prog rocker to kick things off. Kevin March’s thunderous drumming and those synths compete for space. Synths get sucked into a vacuum and smothered before eventually giving out. March is pronounced the winner. Impressive opening statement/tone setter. “We write the songs about the planets and stars.” (9)
2. Alex Bell – The lead “single” from the album is power pop/prog hybrid gem from Pollard. Taking a stylistic detour or two, it’s also a rare GBV track that makes it beyond the five-minute mark. If you get off Exit 13 to Chris Chilton Ave., you take your first left onto Alex Bell Pk. Plenty of power chords and hooks for the fans to revel in. “I see you around every time there’s a ghost in town.” (9)
3. Unproductive Funk – Big, dense riff announces this track. Swagger Bob on full display. Gillard laying down some wicked guitar lines on this lean, propulsive rocker. “Okay, no – forget it, just back off. Horizons offer nothing, just whack off.” (8)
4. Roosevelt’s Marching Band – This song is so familiarly GBV, yet comes off sounding fresh and original. The tempo is dialed down a bit from the previous three tracks, but that doesn’t mean it is devoid of hooks. Love the groove the band cooks up and Gillard continues to thrill with his guitar wizardry. This is my favorite song on the album. “I’m drowning in a loser’s cycle, week to week.” (10)
5. Goggles by Rank – The previous track bleeds into the title track to conclude side one. Tempo and energy are cranked back up. March, once again, getting after his kit with ferocity. Song undergoes an abrupt stylistic shift at the 1:49 mark. “An index of flesh wounds in naked truth magazine.” (8)
6. Cartoon Fashion (Bongo Lake) – The brilliance of Robert Pollard is on full display on the side two opener. On a song that clocks in at just under three minutes, Bob breaks it into four distinct sections (a. All Sick Again; b. Bongo Lake; c. Letter Man, Better Man; d. Bring on the Frobs) and manages to blend it together seamlessly. Another mini prog masterpiece to add to the catalog. All sorts of vocal stylings utilized. “Well, who the fuck are you?” (9)
7. Boomerang – More of a plodding, grinding track that brings to mind the classic lineup. Sounds like it is about to fall apart into the bridge before triumphantly rallying to a lighters-up conclusion. “We love truth, but speak of it all wrong.” (7)
8. Focus on the Flock – Another vigorous power pop ass-shaker. Just enough punch to balance out the creaminess. Doug with a great string arrangement to add some excellent texture. “Truckers suck on the hot rod’s patience in limbo down at the pinball station.” (8.5)
9. Puzzle Two – This track will sneak up on you. A moody, brooding, ominous arrangement with Gillard letting loose in the latter half. Pollard and his bandmates wade into the doom metal end of the pool with some dashes of prog thrown in for good measure. Gillard puts your speakers through a workout. “There’s always a mystery.” (9)
10. Who Wants to Go Hunting? – Sprawling, epic prog rocker to wrap things up. I’ve said it several times over the course of these write-ups – Pollard is a master sequencer. He has few peers in this realm. It is extremely rare that GBV will stretch out in this fashion, but I love when it occurs. “All new research. . . Popular t-shirts.” (9)
I ordered 1 from the demon Bezos. I pre-ordered a blu-ray of the Pink Floyd "Animals" & needed something else to get free shipping. Looking forward to the Animals surround sound. Also has the infamous 2018 mix & the original mix in high res. GBV will be here next week although I have heard it.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

The band sure are working out there prog rock obsessions on the new record. I'm also hearing the Stooges & the Who in the mix. Interesting record.

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:19 am
The band sure are working out there prog rock obsessions on the new record. I'm also hearing the Stooges & the Who in the mix. Interesting record.
Everywhere we go, people wanna know who the fuck we are.
Well, who the fuck are you?

- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^^^first listen now. I like what I hear.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

wish they would pull this one out occasionally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGkDhwy4sCY

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:30 pm
wish they would pull this one out occasionally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGkDhwy4sCY
Bottomless hole, rock and roll...
- DPM

cortez the killer

The combination of a strong line-up and Travis Harrison's phenomenal production/engineering (which is incredible on TaGbR) have played a huge role in the direction Pollard has taken Guided By Voices.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

travis does live sound for them too. he's good.

cortez the killer

I took the two 2022 releases, Crystal Nuns Cathedral and Tremblers and Goggles by Rank, and reimagined them as one double album.

Side 1
1. Eye City
2. Alex Bell
3. Excited Ones
4. Goggles by Rank
5. Crystal Nuns Cathedral
6. Eyes of Your Doctor

Side 2
1. Cartoon Fashion (Bongo Lake)
2. Climbing a Ramp
3. Roosevelt's Marching Band
4. Focus on the Flock
5. Re-Develop
6. Boomerang

Side 3
1. Lizard on a Red Brick Wall
2. Mad River Man
3. Puzzle Two
4. Forced to Sea
5. Huddled

Side 4
1. Unproductive Funk
2. Come North Together
3. Never Mind the List
4. Birds in the Pipe
5. Who Wants to Go Hunting?
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

tinnitus photography

hey CtK - my girlfriend went to a GBV show earlier this year at Cat's Cradle in April and Pollard mentioned something about some shows together with Dinosaur Jr. well that was months ago w/ no announcement, but i did talk w/ Dino's manager at Newport and he said it's still in the works but not quite settled yet w/ all the details.

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:48 pm
hey CtK - my girlfriend went to a GBV show earlier this year at Cat's Cradle in April and Pollard mentioned something about some shows together with Dinosaur Jr. well that was months ago w/ no announcement, but i did talk w/ Dino's manager at Newport and he said it's still in the works but not quite settled yet w/ all the details.
That would be awesome! Last time I saw GBV in Holyoke, J Mascis was standing next to me.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

tinnitus photography

cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:57 pm
That would be awesome! Last time I saw GBV in Holyoke, J Mascis was standing next to me.
are you going to the Holyoke show? i will be there w/ my girl, and then we're off to Woodsist for the weekend.

cortez the killer

Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:49 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:57 pm
are you going to the Holyoke show? i will be there w/ my girl, and then we're off to Woodsist for the weekend.
Figured I was out due to the time of the year, but I think I can swing this one.
- DPM

cortez the killer

cortez the killer wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:26 am
Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department (1999)

#4 in the Fading Captain Series. Is it a solo album or a collaboration? I’m sure tinnitus will sick the Dayton Mafia on me for calling this a Pollard solo album, but that’s a risk I am willing to take. Joined by GBV bandmate Doug Gillard, Bob released his second solo project of 1999 and fourth overall. Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department is a “postal album” in that the songs were written by Pollard and sent to Gillard where he recorded all the instrumental parts on cassette four-track. Those tracks were shipped back to Bob where he laid down the vocals at Cro Mag Studio in Dayton, with John Shough once again engineering the project. I’m far from an expert on the recording process, nor am I an audiophile. However, I cannot believe that an album recorded in such a lo-fi manner (4-track cassette) can sound so fucking incredible. Not only is this LP superior to the GBV one released three months earlier (Do the Collapse), it’s better than the majority of the GBV catalog. Bob’s songwriting and vocal performances rank among the best he’s ever done and Doug Gillard’s playing is simply incredible. Pollard fatigue was beginning to set in among critics and fans, so the record did not receive the type of high praise it should have upon its initial release. But, for my money, this is an essential Bob album and easily one of the best things he has ever released. It’s also the first Pollard album I really connected with, so I’m sure that boosts the album’s profile in my eyes.

1. Frequent Weaver Who Burns – In a catalog full of them, this is such a great song title. What is a frequent weaver who burns? Is it a pot-smoking rug-maker? Is it self-referential in that he weaves countless songs and albums and refuses to stop, choosing to go the burn out rather than fade away route? Either way, from the opening acoustic guitar riff, I’m hooked. Those hooks and melodies that were largely absent on Kid Marine are back, baby! Gillard’s drumming on the outro deserves a mention. “Clipped at the hip peg-legged and cracked, expressing trivial concern. And then I long. I’m the frequent weaver who burns.” (10)
2. Soul Train College Policeman – Another hall-of-fame song title. Cymbal crash gives way to a spacey synth blast. A simple guitar and an ominous-sounding Pollard eventually bring us to a fist-pumping chorus. “Baby stay shaking, laughing and baking. Post-Christmas cupcake hand-grenades.” (9)
3. Pop Zeus – Hard-charging blast of Pollard’s unique brand of power pop. This track is an absolute WINNER! One of my early favorites in his vast catalog. So hard to resist this nugget. Brings me great joy every time I hear it. Incredible, engaged vocal performance to match the high-energy guitar lines Gillard lays down. “He who shits out magic may shine. For the good of a customs and calling, call him Max. Send him a fax. Charge him no tax. Pop Zeus!” (11)
4. Slick as Snails – Oof! This one smacks hard. Soaring arena rocker that never fails to fire me up. Just love the way Pollard stretches out those words. Really hamming up that British accent, too. Gillard drops a WICKED guitar solo on us. “The imprint where you sat, dig the ripples caused by that. I can ride them out.” (11)
5. Do Something Real – Starts out sounding like a post-punk track, before dialing up some hooks and settling into more of a pop groove. Appeared on the soundtrack to Steven Soderbergh’s 2002 film, Full Frontal. “You’ll die or you won’t. You try or you don’t. Do something real…” (8)
6. Port Authority – Longest track on the album (4:05) starts out as a moody, sparse song with some interesting synth sounds splashed in. It builds perfectly from there. However, instead of a bombastic, climactic conclusion it seems to be destined for, we get the Fading Captain treatment and the song disappears into the void. Gillard proves himself to be quite the capable drummer, too. “Miracle girls, commercially perfect, excel at Port Authority. Shall I run out to meet your hopes of liquor, tobacco & chocolate? Up on chalkleg mirror mountain, subtle and juicy.” (9)
7. Soft Smoke – We get our first snippet of the album. This is an acoustic track with Pollard spitting some absurdist poetic lyrics. “Thick miracles evaporate fast. This is the land of soft smoke.” (6)
8. Same Things – Previous track is cross-faded into this one. Other than the fact that it’s listed as such on the track listing, you wouldn’t know that it’s a different song. Bob’s vocals are double-tracked and given the echo-effect treatment. Carries an ominous, proggy vibe. (6)
9. And I Don’t (So Now I Do) – Similar chord progression and sound as the opening track, “Frequent Weaver Who Burns”. Hits all the same sweet spots those mid-tempo GBV classics do. Some excellent, harmonic “Ohhhhs” and Ahhhhs” thrown in there for perfectly creamy effect. More top-notch Gillard guitar work. “A panoramic expo. Hey, give me a ballpark estimate. I don’t drive a good car or a bargain, so now I do.” (10)
10. Tight Globes – Starts out a bit restrained until it morphs into a full-blown, Who-worthy, fist-pumping anthem. That awesome spacey synth blast from Waved Out’s “Subspace Biographies” returns to add texture and volume to Gillard’s incredible laser-sharp guitar solo. Thirsty Bob loves him some hot blondes and their tight globes. “Blonde machine in yellow spacecar, zip your legs in smooth rubber. You pass me and harass me. #1 is on the run…” (11)
11. I Get Rid of You – Another sludgy, moody track with a strong prog vibe. More spacey synth blasts. My least favorite track on the record. (4)
12. Life Is Beautiful – Lo-fi acoustic ballad. Sounds like a demo. Better suited for the upcoming Suitcase project than a proper album. The album is starting to drag a bit now. (4)
13. Messiahs – Such a cool sounding guitar part throughout. Can’t tell how Doug gets that effect. Is it some pedal-affected slide guitar? Either way, I dig it a lot. “I like it out there. The timeclock kills must be the iron wills of future kings who ride their ships through fast atmospheres.” (7)
14. Larger Massachusetts – Shout out to my home state! Starts out with that late-night, weary-sounding vibe. Some great noodling by Doug. While a bit more restrained, Bob still manages to deliver some very strong melodic vocals. “Well, when black clouds hover so low, we will rise to kiss you. Don’t stop blushing, gushing in buckets of color.” (7)
15. And My Unit Moves – Definite dip in fidelity on the last track, as you can hear that sweet tape hiss clearly. Doug takes a stab at some piano and does a very nice job. Bob delivering those somber, but proudly defiant vocals. Very different than much of the material on the record, but it doesn’t feel out of place. (6)
Recent issue of Shindig magazine ranked this #28 in an under-the-radar ‘90s list.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Wow. I wish they were doing more dates with Dinosaur Jr. That would be a good double bill.

cortez the killer

1 Matter Eater Lad
2 Damn Good Mr. Jam
3 Hunter Complex
4 My Impression Now
5 Scalding Creek
6 Mobile
7 Melted Pat
8 Glow Boy Butlers
9 Hey Aardvark
10 Spring Tiger
11 Rubber Man
12 Big School
13 Volcano Divers
14 Indian Fables
15 Pink Gun
16 Dusty Bushworms
17 Gelatin, Ice Cream Plum
18 Grandfather Westinghouse
19 Johnny Appleseed
20 Scalping the Guru

Scalping the Guru

Scalping The Guru is an archival GBV release envisioned and sequenced by Robert Pollard as a cohesive album, featuring select tracks from four Guided By Voices EPs released in 1993-1994 by Domino, City Slang, Siltbreeze and Engine Records. These hard to find records are essential for fans of Vampire On Titus and Bee Thousand, with GBV classics including "My Impression Now", "Matter Eater Lad" and “Big School".

https://www.rockathonrecords.com/guided-by-voices

This is a PRE-ORDER for an October 28th release date.
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:58 pm
1 Matter Eater Lad
2 Damn Good Mr. Jam
3 Hunter Complex
4 My Impression Now
5 Scalding Creek
6 Mobile
7 Melted Pat
8 Glow Boy Butlers
9 Hey Aardvark
10 Spring Tiger
11 Rubber Man
12 Big School
13 Volcano Divers
14 Indian Fables
15 Pink Gun
16 Dusty Bushworms
17 Gelatin, Ice Cream Plum
18 Grandfather Westinghouse
19 Johnny Appleseed
20 Scalping the Guru

Scalping the Guru

Scalping The Guru is an archival GBV release envisioned and sequenced by Robert Pollard as a cohesive album, featuring select tracks from four Guided By Voices EPs released in 1993-1994 by Domino, City Slang, Siltbreeze and Engine Records. These hard to find records are essential for fans of Vampire On Titus and Bee Thousand, with GBV classics including "My Impression Now", "Matter Eater Lad" and “Big School".

https://www.rockathonrecords.com/guided-by-voices

This is a PRE-ORDER for an October 28th release date.
Nice collection. I've got most of this stuff one way or another but will probably get this. Matter Eater Lad & Johnny Appleseed are classics! I used to have a massive GBV collection but had to sell some of it during a bad $ time. Still have quite a bit.

cortez the killer

Cool nod to the original working title of what became Alien Lanes, too.
- DPM

cortez the killer

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:41 am
Alien Lanes (1995)

19. King and Caroline – “The scenario is bright for the King & Carol-” Another one of my favorite moments on Alien Lanes is Pollard stopping short of finishing Caroline on that opening verse. Why does he do that? It fuckin' fascinates me. I don’t know why, but I tear up, drop my head and move it side-to-side every time this song comes on. There are those songs that inexplicably attack your central nervous system and this is one of those for me. Raise a beer, grab some Kleenex and pump your fist along with me. (10)

And the wisdom they will sell us...
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Woodsist Fest was fun. can't believe i couldn't find Cortez at the Holyoke show... he was probably about 2 people away from me.

cortez the killer

Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:14 am
Woodsist Fest was fun. can't believe i couldn't find Cortez at the Holyoke show... he was probably about 2 people away from me.

His hamstring-stretching routine should be adopted by every NFL, NBA & MLB franchise.
- DPM