3DD Artist o' the Week 8/23/2010- SLOBBERBONE!!!!

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: 3DD Artist o' the Week 8/23/2010- SLOBBERBONE!!!!

Post by cortez the killer »

I'm still plugging away with these guys, hoping someday it will stick.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I think they might tour again next summer finally. I bet a live show does it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cortez the killer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I think they might tour again next summer finally. I bet a live show does it.

Hopefully they invade New England and win over the travel pussy.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Much thanks to Smitty for pointing me towards the discography (and LM for that great write up), but I got Barrel Chested and Crow Pot Pie yesterday, and I'm really enjoying them. "Billy Pritchard" makes Patterson's murder ballads look wimpy (and it's hard to call Wig wimpy). Holy shit, is that a powerful song. These two albums are just littered with great songs. I like Everything You Thought a lot, and these are just as good if not better.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Slobberbone rock.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:Slobberbone rock.

Like motherfuckers. Like motherfuckers.

Seriously my second favorite band.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

One of their shows here with the DBTs at the Lakeside Lounge (now Slim's) back in the early 00s has since become the stuff of legend. It became known as the "pants down!" show with various wives and girlfriends de-panting members of both the DBTs and Slobberbone during the encore. Not that I actually wanted to see that part, mind you. Photos surfaced shortly afterwards but were quickly yanked from the innerwebz.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:One of their shows here with the DBTs at the Lakeside Lounge (now Slim's) back in the early 00s has since become the stuff of legend. It became known as the "pants down!" show with various wives and girlfriends de-panting members of both the DBTs and Slobberbone during the encore. Not that I actually wanted to see that part, mind you. Photos surfaced shortly afterwards but were quickly yanked from the innerwebz.

I didn't know Lakeside Lounge wasn't there anymore. I took my wife there in the middle of the day during our honeymoon after we had just seen Topdog/Underdog with Jeffrey Wright and Don Cheadle at the public theater. I also went to LL with Monty 610 and Howlin Wolf in Oct of 07 after The Bowery Ballroom Dirt Underneath show. Patterson, Shonna, Neff and Spooner were all there drinking when we walked in. It was pretty fuckin cool. They had an insane jukebox and a photo booth. Very badass place.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Kudzu Guillotine

sactochris wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:One of their shows here with the DBTs at the Lakeside Lounge (now Slim's) back in the early 00s has since become the stuff of legend. It became known as the "pants down!" show with various wives and girlfriends de-panting members of both the DBTs and Slobberbone during the encore. Not that I actually wanted to see that part, mind you. Photos surfaced shortly afterwards but were quickly yanked from the innerwebz.

I didn't know Lakeside Lounge wasn't there anymore. I took my wife there in the middle of the day during our honeymoon after we had just seen Topdog/Underdog with Jeffrey Wright and Don Cheadle at the public theater. I also went to LL with Monty 610 and Howlin Wolf in Oct of 07 after The Bowery Ballroom Dirt Underneath show. Patterson, Shonna, Neff and Spooner were all there drinking when we walked in. It was pretty fuckin cool. They had an insane jukebox and a photo booth. Very badass place.

I should have clarified that I was referring to the Lakeside Lounge in Raleigh, not the one in New York. The two are affiliated but the owner of the one in Raleigh (Van Alston) changed it to Slim's Downtown Distillery sometime in the early 00s. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the one in New York is run by Eric "Roscoe" Ambel. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the Lakeside Lounge in Raleigh becoming Slim's, the Yayhoos (who were the first band to play Slim's) returned to play another gig. Unfortunately attendance was very low because everyone was around the corner at the Pour House to see those piss-poor Whiskeytown imitators, American Aquarium.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Any word on that Brent Best solo album. Gave him my $$$, and haven't heard from him since. :evil:
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

I believe he's mentioned it a few times and I heard a few new tunes at an acoustic gig. as far as I know he said he'd been recording and his fans helped him out, etc...
be patient, love.
NSFW

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Got pictures from that night... jesus, what a mess! The Man Love tour was the most fun I've ever had.
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

I'm late to the party too, but it's almost quittin' time and I'm not doing anything so I'll tell y'all a little story... my memory is a little rough, but it's close...

The Freedom 2 stank like hell, but we were headed to Florida and I was on the road so you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Back in the van days I traveled with DBT as much as I could - wore tight shirts, sold merch and tried to keep from bursting with pride when the 10 people in whatever club the band destroyed that night became hardcore fans 10 minutes into the show. In those days, there was a lot of craziness, but there was always good music - always a soundtrack. On this day, I believe Cooley was in the driver's seat and Patterson was controlling the CD player. He said he'd run sound for this little Texas band when they came and played the High Hat, and he had their new CD. He popped in Barrel Chested, turned to me and said, "This is going to be your new favorite band." He eyed me with a big ole smile and sang along with Brent Best:

"There've been girls that loved me,
But I cheated on them,
With a woman named Whiskey,
And Gin, her best friend
Their affections flow like liquid
To a thousand other men,
Who'll trade loving for liquor;
Salvation for sin."

Needless to say, I fell in love that day. I fell so in love that I decided to go to Texas for the Fry Street Fair one year, and see Slobberbone in the flesh. It's worth noting that I'd ridden over there with some friends and they had Centro-Matic in their CD player, and I loved it right away and resolved to get some of their music... but I was there for Slobberbone. I knew they were playing in some record store, so I found it and wandered around, picking through the vinyl. I was standing in the "H" section when for some reason I got goosebumps, and turned around to find myself staring into the green eyes of Mr. Best himself. I didn't know it was him, but when he climbed up on stage, those goosebumps came back. Jess, Tony and Brian got up there and the place packed out - for good reason. They KILLED. I was left catching my breath, and had to escape the torrent of emotions their music had created in me, so I took off down the street as soon as it was over.

Later that night (or maybe it was the next) they played an outdoor party at what I think was a frat house. Everyone was drunk and happy, me included - but some sloshed idiot actually stole the wheelchair of a disabled guy who was leaning on the front of the stage. Slobberbone stopped dead in the middle of a song and Brent hollered that they would not continue until that wheelchair was back in place. The red-faced douche who had taken it meekly gave it back and disappeared, and the band resumed tearing the shit out of their instruments - a sweaty, insane, incredible show. By the end of the night I was in so much rock & roll ecstasy that I didn't sleep... I just kept listening to my brand spankin' new Slobberbone CDs until the sun came up.

Little did I know then that through chance and circumstance, DBT and Slobberbone would become tight and play together many times over the years, or that I'd spend so much time and money following them, or that they would become some of my best friends and favorite people. I can't tell you how many times a Slobberbone song or show has moved me to tears of joy, or how much fun I've had just knowing them as people. Eventually I'd repay Patterson for turning me on to them by turning him loose with my Centro-Matic CDs while he stayed at my house for a short time, booking shows and listening to music while I was at the day job. I'd have to say we came out even steven on that one.
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Jenn, your stories are priceless. One of the first things I ever read about Slobberbone was your review of "Everything You Thought.." on amazon

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Going to see em on Friday. Man, it's been too long. The last "show" I attended, I paid 5 bucks to watch a band rehearse. I am gonna rawk out with my guac out! :D :D :mrgreen: :D
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

:D

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

:D

Kudzu Guillotine

Looks like the solo record, as well as a new Slobberbone album are still on the way. Just not so sure when...

Brent Best Talks About Going Solo, The Legacy of Slobberbone and Having Rachel Maddow As a Fan (Dallas Observer)

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

For several years, there has been talk of a solo album. When are you going to get around to that?
I've shelved it twice now. I wasn't happy with it the first time and the second time I lost it to a hard drive crash. It's a fan-funded album and I've realized that maybe I am a little too precious with it. When I was making albums for a label, at some point, it was always, "Fuck it. Here's your album." But these are my fans and I cannot have an adversarial relationship with the fans. Perhaps I need to treat it more like work and just get it done.

What didn't you like about the first recordings?
I think I overcooked it. I needed it to be simple and sparse. That's part of the danger of having a home studio. I think, ultimately, what I am doing right now will be the demos for the solo record.

At least this is kinda good news. I was just talking about the solo cd this weekend. I sent my money and wondered if it will ever come out.

Clams

Post by Clams »

lajakesdad wrote:
For several years, there has been talk of a solo album. When are you going to get around to that?
I've shelved it twice now. I wasn't happy with it the first time and the second time I lost it to a hard drive crash. It's a fan-funded album and I've realized that maybe I am a little too precious with it. When I was making albums for a label, at some point, it was always, "Fuck it. Here's your album." But these are my fans and I cannot have an adversarial relationship with the fans. Perhaps I need to treat it more like work and just get it done.

What didn't you like about the first recordings?
I think I overcooked it. I needed it to be simple and sparse. That's part of the danger of having a home studio. I think, ultimately, what I am doing right now will be the demos for the solo record.

At least this is kinda good news. I was just talking about the solo cd this weekend. I sent my money and wondered if it will ever come out.

That's wrong. If he collects money from his fans to make a record, then he should make a record. Or give back the money. Give them something anyway.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

cortez the killer

I'm a day late & a dollar short, but better late than never. The Adios Lounge did a peice yesterday on International Slobberbone Day.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Two excellent covers - "Too Early" Son Volt & "Can't Hardly Wait" The Replacements
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

So does that mean that the ol' light bulb finally went off for you?

cortez the killer

It didn't go off, but I am more motivated to take it out of the package.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

cortez the killer wrote:It didn't go off, but I am more motivated to take it out of the package.

It's a testament to your excellent musical credentials that you keep trying. I mean that seriously btw. I'm curious though, have you ever listened to the Drams record? I'm wondering if that side of Brent Best might appeal a bit more.

This tune in particular (not that it hasn't been posted here before):

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

A couple of pictures from Jenn's wedding:

As fine a performance as I've seen from the boys in a while (not that they aren't always a blast). They were celebrating the wedding in proper fashion.

Kudzu Guillotine