3DD Artist o' the Week 8/23/2010- SLOBBERBONE!!!!

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

littlemamma

3DD Artist o' the Week 8/23/2010- SLOBBERBONE!!!!

Post by littlemamma »

I wrote bad poetry about tigers screwing when I was in high school
and I don't like being told what to do
but I hope you will read my adoring and slightly boring write-up about Slobberbone. This is a band, I tell you, you must listen to them.

I am an idiot. I spent my formative years in Austin Texas going to dance clubs and listening to hip hop. I would read the weekly paper and see Slobberbone in the show listings and grin and think to myself, "What a great name..." and never go check them out.

I was introduced to Drive-By Truckers by my then husband back in 2006. I was pregnant and struggling and "gravity is gone" and "world of hurt" and "feb. 14" spoke to me. Circumstances were difficult for the next couple years, but I saw my first DBT show in fall 2008. I saw Fool No Where rocking out, though I didn't know him, and thought, "Wow. He's a fan". By the end of the show I was enchanted with the band. I was high on the Rock Show for months. It was literally all I could talk about every night. So I found ninebullets.org, and waited 3 weeks for approval. I lurked and got to "know" the members. I saw Jenn B's avatar, "Ryan Adams ain't no Brent Best" and I researched.

Then getting into the "Listening" Thread, that band Slobberbone kept popping up. I was curious about who this Brent Best character was. How badass could he be to be better than the also new to me Ryan Adams. Previous to DBT, I was listening to Raffi and Laurie Berkner. But Ryan Adams had a rep. from Whiskeytown, and he got press. And if Jenn" says he's better, he must be. But I dragged my feet. I didn't check out Slobberbone. I saw Dime in the Gutter rave about the Drams Jubilee Dive and checked that out first. It's the first and only album of a post breakup Slobberbone minus their bass player Brian effin' Lane and with a couple a great guys Chad and Keith (glossary accd'g to wiki) and Brian called The Drams Brent's Big Star (also wiki). I'm not good with line-ups and facts, all's I know is The Drams are poppy and gorgeous and beautiful.

BUT THEY'RE NOT SLOBBERBONE...

OK OK, thank you for indulging me in my Truckers rambling on and traumas from days gone by and some lurking and looming in the not not so distant past, but Slobberbone is a drinking band, so don't mind me whilst I crack a cold one.

I am the luckiest girl in the world. I live in Dallas, Texas. I can see Brent Best, the lead singer songwriter for Slobberbone, nowadays probably once a week if I want. But in 2009, he and Slobberbone were reuniting, and I was going to the Barley House in early February to see night 2 of said reunion. I still hadn't really heard much Slobberbone, but my dear friends of 9B had talked them up enough. And Tequila Cowboy did ensure I had heard a few tracks before the show. So I go and I meet FNW for the first time, thanks Cotter for realizing we lived in the same zipcode. We proceed to see hours of rock show goodness and happiness with bad sight lines and decent sound.

Jess Barr on the Gold guitar, cigarette constantly burning, one finger in the air, shredding solos
Brian Effin Lane, the world's tallest bass player and sing the hell outta back up on "Gimme Back My Dog" or pull out a stand up bass and bow for Little Drunk Fists (that was another show, but still)
Tony Parker, who risked taking a pee break mid set knowing that Brent Best would start an impromptu singalong about said pee break, kick ass drummer
and of Centro Matic Scotty Danbom and his expensive haircut playing keys...or fiddle if you're lucky
It was legendary. Lodi to Cinnamon Girl to Meltdown. 15 minutes of Haze of Drink...
It was my first DBT show feeling all over again...
and Brent Best is funny and adorable and writes better than Ryan Adams...for sure.and his gruffly sweet singing and strumming endear the listener. For me it's for life.

Then my world crashed in three days later, my daughter almost died. I sat in the ICU waiting room and listened to "Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today"...for weeks.
Lord I'm only just one man...hey baby, it's the end of the world, have a good time...we've all missed the prom still we're used to this dance...it was mine before you'd hound me and bound me, ground me, then pound me...gimme back my dog...direction's just an arrow, not a place to reside, but none of that crap means squat alone on a Sunday night...

the Kevin Kerby penned "Josephine" epic lament of love lost and never recovered, the loverly Lazy Guy with Patterson chiming in, Why Don't You Try?...

they've all got holes to plug, she's a shovel in your hands,she's a pail of sand, someone you once dug...and he flashed a smile at me then he drove straight off the road...Just a letter from this house you once blessed
Where I'm still waiting for the forwarding address, Just a note from the past we once shared, Where I'm still waiting on a present from the future to get me there...I saw that girl you used to know at the other end of the bar, I never thought she'd ever get that far, She said you two were through, it seemed you were driving for different things
I said I understood, I've wrecked that car...

So start there, then get Barrel Chested, Crow Pot Pie, Slippage, and see them live. Trust me... between the drunk songs about fuckin up there's also stories of real people, with real problems, and murder, and abuse, and dark times, and love won and lost...it's that uplifting ness amongst the fuckity...

Brent Best wants to do a Last Waltz style show in Denton, TX one day with all our heroes. I sure hope it happens.
He just sang a love song called "Horsefly"at the last solo acoustic set I saw that is gorgeous and he has more new story songs along the lines of "Billy Pritchard" "engine Joe" folks surrounded by sadness and despair, that you can't look away from, and cringe, and can't wait to hear again. There's too much to go through. Too much to love.

p.s. Tilt-a- whirl will light your hair on fire...

my computer's all fuckt up, someone post a pic of patterson and bb hugging or something...
Last edited by littlemamma on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSFW

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: 3DD Artist o' the Week- SLOBBERBONE!!!!

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Nice job LM! Slobberbone is one of the most under heard bands ever (although not around these parts).
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

nice.... write up.

Clams

Post by Clams »

From the heart (as always). Well done, LM.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

It's a big dumb heart...and thanks.
sorry about the premature post-jackulation.
NSFW

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Well done LM, heart is always good and should be shared as often as we can!!! :D
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Well done, littlemamma!
I went to see Slobberbone open for DBT on 9/18/02 in NYC. For some reason (can't have been a very good one), I was late to the show & missed more than half of the Slobberbone set. Fast forward to June 2003. Two of my Neil Young friends are crashing at my place between shows. I tell them that Slobberbone is playing Southpaw in Brooklyn and we have to go. At first they're not sure...then I tell them they closed with Cortez The Killer last September and they may well cover Neil again. They're in! We go and it's a great show and sure enough they closed with Cortez again. :-)
After the show I bought EYTWRWWT from Brian Lane and later got the rest...
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

yeah, saw them do Cortez the Killer at the Industrial Street Bash this year. I creamed my romper...

Oh and you can hear Brent heckling in a loving way, his pals from DBT when they debuted SRO tunes back in 2001 at Dan's. It's effin great.
NSFW

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

2nd only to DBT in my book. Great fuckin band, should be legendary.
I Can Tell Your Love is Waning should be a alt country/rock n roll standard.
And it's nowhere near my fav song of theirs - nice job LM
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Smitty wrote:2nd only to DBT in my book. Great fuckin band, should be legendary.

Thanks! That would be neato bandito to hear Guy or JJW or Kris Kris steal that song...
NSFW

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

littlemamma wrote:
Smitty wrote:2nd only to DBT in my book. Great fuckin band, should be legendary.

Thanks! That would be neato bandito to hear Guy or JJW or Kris Kris steal that song...

Patterson & Brent single-handedly kept the country music tradition of murder ballads alive.
and speaking of Kevin Kerby - does anyone have any of his lps? I can't find them anywhere - he also wrote the breathtaking "Paper Mills" on Joey Kneiser's (Glossary) solo album
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Smitty wrote:
littlemamma wrote:

Patterson & Brent single-handedly kept the country music tradition of murder ballads alive.
and speaking of Kevin Kerby - does anyone have any of his lps? I can't find them anywhere - he also wrote the breathtaking "Paper Mills" on Joey Kneiser's (Glossary) solo album

I've got one, Beautiful and Bright. It's ok. It's a lot about being in recovery and stuff. He was great live though.
NSFW

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I love your big dumb heart. Public record.

I'm not completely in love with Slobberbone, but I sure would like to see them live and see how that changes things for me. Some of my favorite people love 'em live.

Favorite drunken quote from a Slobberbone show text: ON FIRE THEY ARE

You keep me posted on that Dallas show schedule, missy.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

can we get a Slobberbone mix uploaded ?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Any word on that Brent Best solo album? I sent him my money, and I am sure a lot of others here sent theirs.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Here's some not terribly spectacular pics from my phone-camera that I took @ the Slobberbone show last summer in Chicago:

(note - that's TC in the lower right). Centro-matic's Scott Danbom was on the keyboards & violin. Glossary opened for them.

Here are some clips from the same show:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Well done, LM! Kinda Lester Bangsish. That's a compliment in case u're not familiar w/ the late great lamented Mr. Bangs (Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Almost Famous).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

beantownbubba wrote:Well done, LM! Kinda Lester Bangsish. That's a compliment in case u're not familiar w/ the late great lamented Mr. Bangs (Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Almost Famous).
What he said!
Alsum job LM.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Great write-up LM! Slobberbone might be my favorite band I have discovered (out of many) as a direct result of DBT and 9B's.

(We are all glad the sight of a sweaty FNW did not scare you off DBT) :lol:
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

wow, Lester Bangs-ish...thanks! :oops: :D :mrgreen:
NSFW

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

You rock! You are a rock and I look forward to meeting you.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

StevieRay wrote:Danbom

It's Danbom, Danbom, D-D-D-D-D-D, Danbom, Danbom.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

PeterJ wrote:Any word on that Brent Best solo album? I sent him my money, and I am sure a lot of others here sent theirs.

He mentioned that at the last solo gig I went to. He has enough money to do it, and mentioned recording it this fall. The new songs sounded great.
NSFW

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

This is so alsum, LM!
I've been hooked since you told me about them and I heard Barrel Chested (i start all my races now w/that song).
I also love Billy Pritchard and Engine Joe like crazy and love the live stuff you sent, I definitely think he can rival Ryan Adams at his best. He definitely kills him in the personality department from what I know.
And YES, Lester Bangsish is right. This is from the heart, your whole body is heart. ;) We're all learning a lot from you every day.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Where's a good place to check out studio Slobberbone? I have a Drams album (Jubilee Drive) and find it kind of "meh", outside a few songs.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

One of my all time favorite bands. The first time I ever heard of the Drive By Truckers was when I read the credits for E.Y.T.W.R.W.R.T. when it came out in late 2000, and read that Patterson had sung on the song Lazy Guy.
Keep calm and have a cigar

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Iowan wrote:Where's a good place to check out studio Slobberbone? I have a Drams album (Jubilee Drive) and find it kind of "meh", outside a few songs.

Barrel Chested or Everything You Thought...
NSFW

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

great job, lm. keep preaching.

lord, you're only just one (wo)man.

they are all great lp's...but everything you thought is a flat out masterpiece.

bb is an amazing talent.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

The reunion show LM mentioned was my first exposure to Slobberbone, except for Lazy Guy which I heard on a local radio station. It didn't take long to figure out that there is real synergy between band and audience. That was one of the reasons I got into Bruce, then DBT. I absolutely love when mutual adoration exists between entertainer and his/her followers. I knew this was a band for me.

Then...I grabbed a live recording of the show we'd attended and listened with my best shure ear buds and a glass of whiskey. I never brought the bottle with me because that might be a "problem." But refills meant getting up so when I returned, I always went back to the start of the song and REALLY listened. I'm not a musician, and even less artsy fartsy. Neanderthal, three chords and a cloud of dust and I'm happy. But the writing, man the writing hooked me and it never let go. Lot's of anger, agony, and heartache that hits home like a steel toed kick to the gut. But, it made me appreciate the good in my life instead of focusing on the darkness. And for that, I'm glad I jumped in.

still you must confess, things are still a mess, for sure. when you're less in her eyes than before

went out to find an old friend but I lost me one instead. I lost it all for just another score

I'll be damned if I'll let you, take my heart and tear it apart. And make me watch the tears fall from your face

'Cause I can tell your love is waning from the looks and smell of it. Like getting caught behind a cattle truck and all you smell is shit ...

Used to be nothing sweeter than the signals it could send, the musical hand it could lend. could be a lonely man's best friend
Where's the place at the table for folks like them?
Having a broken heart wears you out.