To Whoever it was that posted the link to Opeth on 9B...

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

To Whoever it was that posted the link to Opeth on 9B...

Post by RevMatt »

Thanks a whole lot. I went out and bought their album, Blackwater Park this week and think it is fantastic. If someone had told me two weeks ago that I would not only own a Scandanavian death metal album but would think it was one of the best albums I've heard in a long time, I would have told them they were out of their mind. But Opeth is great. They are what King Crimson would sound like if Robert Fripp was 35 years old again and had grown up listening to Metalicca, Megadeth and Anthrax. Even the Cookie Monster growling works in the context of their songs. It just goes to show you that composition and musicianship trump all other considerations when it comes to music.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Bill in CT

Re: To Whoever it was that posted the link to Opeth on 9B...

Post by Bill in CT »

You're welcome, RevMatt. Opeth is one of my favorite bands. As you say, they combine prog rock with extreme metal in a very artistic way. I recommend exploring the rest of their catalogue too, though you started with my favorite of their albums to date. Let's go see them the next time they come to the NYC area...they do great shows.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Bill, you're on.

I called my old manager and told him about Opeth. Death metal, thrash, prog rock, jazz fusion and Nick Drake -- all in the same song! Opeth is the real deal.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I might give them another go. I really dislike the cookie monster vox on most of that stuff. And I dislike the high pitched screeching on some of the others.

The pinnacle of metal vocalists is Ozzy Osbourne (circa 1980): discuss.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

With Opeth the Cookie Monster growling works in the context of the song. And within each song their are so many dynamic changes: balls to the wall headbanging followed by a mellow accoustic twelve string interlude followed by a Carlos Santana-ish jazzy guitar solo. And the thrashy riffs are a whole lot more complex than you think they are at first: strange poly-rhythms with layers of guitar noise on top. At the same time, they never cease to be death metal. Usually I dismiss the entire genre of Scandanavian death metal summarily. But these guys are flat out great musicians.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Steve French wrote:I might give them another go. I really dislike the cookie monster vox on most of that stuff. And I dislike the high pitched screeching on some of the others.

i don't know much about Opeth, but black metal bands don't tend to have the cookie monster vocals going on...that's more death metal/grindcore.

Steve French wrote:The pinnacle of metal vocalists is Ozzy Osbourne (circa 1980): discuss.

i like him, but i wouldn't say he's the best.

i love Wino's (Scott Weinrich) vocals a lot...check out St. Vitus or The Obsessed.

Jus Oborn (Electric Wizard) is also ace.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Ozzy is probably my fave heavy metal singer, not so much his technique or ability, but for his total attitude. When it comes to sheer rock star attitude he is right up there with Jim Morrison, Mick Jagger, David Lee Roth and anyone else. Ozzy's attitude is a celebration of totally irresponsible teenage behavior. I can't listen to Black Sabbath without thinking about all the crazy f@#&ed up s@#t we used to do back in high school. I can't go into detail in case my kids are lurking, but Ozzy is the personification of all of that.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

favorite metal singer - Phil Anselmo
favorite metal band - Pantera
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Motorhead is probably my all-time favorite metal band. Followed by Black Sabbath and Metallica. But the more I get into Opeth, the more of a threat they are to move into my top 3. They are already in my top 5. They replaced Deep Purple at number 5 and are moving up close behind Blue Oyster Cult for number 4.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Steve French wrote:I might give them another go. I really dislike the cookie monster vox on most of that stuff. And I dislike the high pitched screeching on some of the others.

The pinnacle of metal vocalists is Ozzy Osbourne (circa 1980): discuss.

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)

Rob Halford (Priest)

Geddy Lee (the early years)

Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Sabbath, solo, Heaven and Hell, etc)

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Missed this thread. Big fan for many years. Haven't seen them live since Peter Lindgren (rhythm) left but I'm sure they still kill it. One of those bands that when you first see live you realize everything on the records is just them playing in the studio. No dubbing or layering at all. Very, very talented bunch of musicians. For a little taste of their versatility check out how it all changes at around 2:50.

Blackwater Park, by the way, was produced by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree. Another band you might enjoy if you dig this kind of goodness. Not very many metal fans around 9b, nice to have a chat going.

LJ! Where you at?
Beebs is not a ragey man

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Not a big fan of Death/Doom/Black metal per se but I might have to check these guys out. Maybe that's not totally true. I do l like Electric Wizard, Kyuss, Sleep and Orange Goblin. As far as great metal vocalists Ozzy was one, but so was Rob Halford and definitely Ronnie James Dio. Especially Dio for his range and power.

There's an album on eMusic called "High Volume: The Stoner Rock Collection" that's also worth checking out.

Not forever, just for now.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

I love anything Steven Wilson is involved with.

Opeth does Deep Purple
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Beebs wrote:

Missed this thread. Big fan for many years. Haven't seen them live since Peter Lindgren (rhythm) left but I'm sure they still kill it. One of those bands that when you first see live you realize everything on the records is just them playing in the studio. No dubbing or layering at all. Very, very talented bunch of musicians. For a little taste of their versatility check out how it all changes at around 2:50.

Blackwater Park, by the way, was produced by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree. Another band you might enjoy if you dig this kind of goodness. Not very many metal fans around 9b, nice to have a chat going.

LJ! Where you at?

they started getting way too sissy at the 3:10 mark. not my thing. guitars are too clean. give 'em some superfuzz.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

I dig this one too

\m/ :twisted: \m/

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

'Scratch wrote:Not a big fan of Death/Doom/Black metal per se but I might have to check these guys out. Maybe that's not totally true. I do l like Electric Wizard, Kyuss, Sleep and Orange Goblin. As far as great metal vocalists Ozzy was one, but so was Rob Halford and definitely Ronnie James Dio. Especially Dio for his range and power.

There's an album on eMusic called "High Volume: The Stoner Rock Collection" that's also worth checking out.

thanks for the headsup. Ive got some Kyuss and Desert Sessions stuff which I like.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I want my band to do a death metal version of Jim Carroll's "When The City Drops Into The Night", complete with Cookie Monster vocals. I think that song would be the perfect death metal song.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

And Opeth kicks ass. I am a fan thanks to Bill in Ct. and the rest of the 3DD folks. I swear, you get turned on to more great bands on this site than anywhere else.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

DBT fandom is a non-exlusive brother and sisterhood. We like BOTH kinds of music..... wait for it....... wait for it......... country AND western!!

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Steve French wrote:
thanks for the headsup. Ive got some Kyuss and Desert Sessions stuff which I like.

I am listening to Kyuss right now, Best Josh Homme band IMO

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beebs wrote:

If you don't run you rust

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Zip City wrote:Opeth is pretty brilliant musically, but the vocal style is enough to make me never listen.

I hope whoever started the cookie monster vocal trend has a VIP room reserved in hell

Have you heard the Damnation album? Its all clean vocals