Misc Shit

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Misc Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:So I've been immersing myself in the music of American Music Club and the Red House Painters and holy shit. I'd say AMC nailed the typical "alt country" sound earlier than any of the so called seminal bands and have more in common with the 90's/00's alt country sound than any of the commonly cited fore bearers (rank and file, true believers, scorchers etc) but hardly ever get mentioned in alt country discussions. If you're unfamiliar with them, give everclear or the united kingdom/California combined set a listen.

Smitty, meet RevMatt.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I've had an amazingly fruitful couple months when it comes to discovering music (or more accurately, getting around to listening to stuff I've neglected).
Afghan Whigs/Twilight Singers, really delving into Mark Kozelek/RHP, Low, Belle and Sebastian, M.Ward/She&Him, Deerhunter, Mogwai, Sharon Van Etten, Angel Olson, Orenda Fink, St. Vincent, LCD Soundsystem, Future Islands....
Lots of stuff that really wasn't in my wheelhouse before, including post rock/ambient, electronica and synth pop. Surprised myself a little, although I'm far from being a detractor of western blues based music ;)
Right now I'm obsessed with Yo La Tengo, who I'd never heard a note of ( aside from Autumn Sweater) three days ago. and then nothing turned itself inside out is so damned good (I'm mostly a quieter more introspective music fan).
I request Scotto do an aotw on them, and tinnitus write up mogwai.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Smitty wrote:I've had an amazingly fruitful couple months when it comes to discovering music (or more accurately, getting around to listening to stuff I've neglected).
Afghan Whigs/Twilight Singers, really delving into Mark Kozelek/RHP, Low, Belle and Sebastian, M.Ward/She&Him, Deerhunter, Mogwai, Sharon Van Etten, Angel Olson, Orenda Fink, St. Vincent, LCD Soundsystem, Future Islands....
Lots of stuff that really wasn't in my wheelhouse before, including post rock/ambient, electronica and synth pop. Surprised myself a little, although I'm far from being a detractor of western blues based music ;)
Right now I'm obsessed with Yo La Tengo, who I'd never heard a note of ( aside from Autumn Sweater) three days ago. and then nothing turned itself inside out is so damned good (I'm mostly a quieter more introspective music fan).

Some great stuff in there, Smitty. I had a huge Belle & Sebastian period around the time when Fold your hands child was released and got all of their albums up till then. Lost track of them a bit after that. Think If you're feeling sinister is my favorite of those four first albums. That Yo La Tengo album is also really great.

Btw. This made me remember another band I was into around the same time. Sophia. Ever heard of them? Check out the albums Fixed Water and The Infinite Circle if you haven't.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yo La Tengo's catalog is deep and wide and I'm not familiar w/ a lot of it, but you'll definitely want to check out I Can Hear The Heart Beating as One which is generally considered to be their masterpiece.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So my daughter, who is eleven and a half, is getting more into music. Last Sunday, she traded me her One Republic CD (not bad, kind of to Coldplay what Coldplay is to U2) for Glossary's Feral Fire. Any thoughts on what I should trade her next? Maybe There Is A Bomb In Gilead?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Didn't really know where to post this. I think it's pretty cool.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

linkous

Post by linkous »

A journalist spends a whole month listening to nothing but The Fall, and comes out a convert.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicb ... t-45597792

John A Arkansawyer

Did one of you pick this up? If so, please give them a call:

Our Band Only Sold One Copy Of Our Album And We'd Like It Back
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

linkous

Post by linkous »

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Here's a cool article on the Bitter Southerner website about the banjo. By the way, since I'm only 3 years into my DBT obsession, did Cooley's banjo make an appearance on the Dirt Underneath Tour?

http://bittersoutherner.com/history-of-the-banjo
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Markalanbishop wrote:Here's a cool article on the Bitter Southerner website about the banjo. By the way, since I'm only 3 years into my DBT obsession, did Cooley's banjo make an appearance on the Dirt Underneath Tour?

http://bittersoutherner.com/history-of-the-banjo

Yes

John A Arkansawyer

So this is great and I misheard the lyrics the first times through before looking them up:

I thought she was saying "Gilded Cage" and what she's actually saying is (and this is unusual--the misheard lyrics are typically better than the real thing) is "Guilded Age", according to the lyrics. Now, is that supposed to be "Gilded Age"? Or is is just barely possible she means this, one of the most ambitious web comics around:

http://guildedage.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/2009-09-04-0000b.jpg

It took me a few weeks to realize what an achievement that sucker is. If you're inclined to read it, start from the start and be patient.

UPDATE: Of course, the lyrics in the video clearly say "Gilded Age", which I assume is the most definitive answer. Thanks for playing. I lose, but at least I shoot.

John A Arkansawyer

So if you are a hardcore Clint Black fan or know someone who is, a very close friend of mine just turned up an unusual collector's item:

This tells a little about why he and his folks signed this chair and why they support the charity it was made for.

I've got a suggestion out to her that she offer a percentage of the sale price to that charity. Any thoughts on how much? Should the percentage go up with the price?

John A Arkansawyer

The Associated Press wrote:In the second item of the California 10th NewsMinute sent March 16 to users of the state broadcast wire, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Robert Durst is a member of a band. He is a real estate heir; Fred Durst is the former frontman of Limp Bizkit.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

The very definition of avant-garde.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Image
The Associated Press wrote:In the second item of the California 10th NewsMinute sent March 16 to users of the state broadcast wire, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Robert Durst is a member of a band. He is a real estate heir; Fred Durst is the former frontman of Limp Bizkit.
His new threads

Beebs is not a ragey man

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Appropriate song for this weekend.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LOL, MAB. Happy holidays to everyone. I always think it's especially cool when Easter and Passover coincide as they do this year. May these signature events of spring be a harbinger of actual spring this year. Speaking for myself, I'm more than ready!

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

beantownbubba wrote:LOL, MAB. Happy holidays to everyone. I always think it's especially cool when Easter and Passover coincide as they do this year. May these signature events of spring be a harbinger of actual spring this year. Speaking for myself, I'm more than ready!
I'm getting ready to go to the in-laws for Passover, tomorrow is my mother's 80th Birthday party & Sunday it's the Filipino Easter at my brothers'. Cultural diversity is my middle name.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

^^^My office is about 50/50 split Jewish and Christian. I tried to get a West Side Story old school Jets v. Sharks rumble going today with lots of show tunes, dancing, and bad Puerto Rican accents. No luck. Happy Holidays everyone!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Slipkid42 wrote: Sunday it's the Filipino Easter at my brothers'.
Will there be lumpias? If so I am jealous.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

LBRod wrote:
I'm not really sure about lumpias. There is quite a bit of exotic cuisine, incl. a big fish that stares back at me.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Slipkid42 wrote:
LBRod wrote:
I'm not really sure about lumpias. There is quite a bit of exotic cuisine, incl. a big fish that stares back at me.
They are tasty little egg rolls with spectacular dipping sauce.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

So a buddy called yesterday with a free ticket through his wife's employer to see the Blue Man group at the Fox here in Atlanta and I figured why not. The drumming/percussion part of the show was great but the "comedy" stuff sucked. They had a 4 piece band of really excellent players. Glad I went but even more glad I didn't pay $70(!!!) for my seat. Really visual show-my friend and I were lamenting our lack of foresight in forgetting the weed! Live and learn.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

My buddy John Lyndon passed this along from Alan Walden. Pretty cool. Can't figure out how to post the pictures. Sorry.

I had asked Alan Walden to send me his recollections of his days with Percy Sledge. Alan was kind enough to put this together for us. You just can’t beat hearing this first hand.
John

Dear John & Friends,

Percy Sledge was my signing to our booking Agency. Phil had signed Otis Redding before I came to work and then signed Sam & Dave when he turned...........So when the opportunity arrived for me to sign some one it just happened to be Percy.......... Rick Hall of Fame Studios was the first to play me "When A Man Loves A Woman". He had presented to Atlantic on behalf of Percy's producer and manager, Quinn Ivy.and the reaction from Jerry Wexler was overwhelming...... He made a deal immediately and all of our lives were about to change. Test pressing were being hand delivered to every major disc jockey in the United States, a treatment never seen before in the R & B Industry......Jerry Wexler was The God Father Record Executive of R & B and word went out that this was HIS BABY!!!

I jumped on a plane and flew to Muscle Shoals right away to sign Percy.......After meeting with Quin Ivy and making my proposal, I went to meet The Man, himself! Percy worked as an orderly at the Colbert County Hospital and when I arrived he was coming out of a room where he had just given a patient an enema. He still had on rubber gloves, pulled them off and washed his hands........As I was shaking hands with him, I told him "Percy Sledge, You are going to be a STAR!!!!" His reply was simple, Do you think I can quit this job?" We signed contracts for the booking agency only at that time.

I could not wait to return to Macon and announce the news........I played the demo first for Phil who liked it but predicted it would probably go to the top 70s...... )-:Then I played it for Otis and he also liked but but predicted top 60s....... )-: Then I played it for my Father, "Pops" Walden......He said "That damn funeral march is not going to sell s-it!!!! )-

Within 10 days "When A Man Loves A Woman sold 1,300,000 copies and it went all the way to NUMBER ONE WITH A BULLET!!!!! It was the biggest and fastest selling Soul Single in the world! My first signing was a huge step up the ladder of success.

The first photo I am attaching is of Percy, Myself, and Jack Chisholm, Ouinn Ivy's CPA at a cocktail party in Percy's honor the week that he had the NUMBER ONE record in the country........The second photo attached is him performing that night with King Curtis and his Orchestra........ If you look closely you may notice Jimi Hendrix playing guitar......Jimi looked so much like Johnny Jenkins that I thought Phil had surprised me by sending Johnny to New York. I headed toward the stage to say hello to Johnny and only when I got real close did I realize it was not him.........I went on back to my table with Percy and when the band took a short break, this guitar player came walking by our table. Damn, he even walked like Johnny Jenkins........I said, "Hey Man, have you ever heard of Macon, Georgia? " His reply blew me away, "What are you going to do, tell me about Johnny Jenkins?"......I laughed and said "Exactly!!!" He and I did not get to talk any more because of all that was going on, but I found out later that he had played with Little Richard too and that he knew Twiggs.......

I tried to surround Percy with good people and good musicians Which brings us to photo three of Percy and Twiggs together with Twigg's famous Packard Limo..... Twiggs went out as Percy's road manager, set up books, made sure the band rehearsed and that Percy made every gig...... Twiggs was my number one road manager along with Earl Speedo Simms. He was also my trouble shooter and women chasing partner.He and I shared the same taste in women......If I had an impossible task about the road, I called Twiggs and 90% of the time he worked it out.One time Otis' band had to jump from Baton Rouge to Baltimore in a 1946 Flexie Bus....He called me back to say if the bus travels at 72 miles per hour and they limit their stops only for fuel, getting food to go and restrooms all in a rush, they can make it just in time for the show.......He was wrong, they arrived 30 minutes late.....but went on and slayed the audience......

Some of the great musicians with Percy included a lot of Macon People......Tony Dorsey, Calvin Arline, Robert Coleman, Gary Lester, Charles Burns, and Clarence Lucas.........Photo four shows Phil and I out to greet Percy, his cousin, Jimmy Hughes and Quin Ivy.......Quin later decided management was not for him and that he wanted to just produce........so then Phil and I became his manger as well as his agent....This photo is taken at 535 Cotton Ave and I thought by Bob Johnson but it must have been by Paul Acree.........

Percy not only scored with "When A Man Loves A Woman" followed it with five more consecutive chart records including "Warm & Tender Love", "It Tears Me Up", "Take Time To Know Her", "Cover Me", "Baby, Help Me" and then he recorded a great Al Gallico song, "Sudden Stop". He and Otis became close which brings us to number five photo of Percy, Otis, Jimmy Johnson and myself at Fame studios during an Arthur Conley Session.........Photo six is a poster from one of their dates together at the world known Apollo Theater in Harlem, NY.... They remained close until the very end....Photographs 7 & 8 are from Otis' funeral.......You can see Percy at the top right...........

Percy even became a Capricorn Artist with an album produced by Quin Ivy titled "I'll Be Your Everything" which I personally think has some fantastic tracks on it.....but Capricorn was becoming a Rock & Roll Company and R & B had slowed down tremendously......... Discouraged by it all Quin stepped back and David Johnson bought Quin's Broadway Sound and became Percy's producer and he remained so all the way. His latest production was Percy singing Spiritual.......Photo 9 is of David and Percy together.....

Percy was inducted into The Music Hall Of Fame and made one of the best acceptance speeches I have heard.......including thanking Phil, "Pops", and myself.... Photos 10 & 11 are the night before when he played "Rock A Billys" here in Macon. I gave him one of the old fashion R & B introductions and afterwards Percy said "After that introduction you gave me I knew I had to be great, not just good!" Photo # 10 is Percy, Charles Burns and myself and # 11 is my daughter, Jessica, Percy and myself.......

The last time I got to see Percy was when Jessica brought him to Washington Park here in Macon with College Hill Alliance.which turned out to be the largest crowd ever for a musical event.....It was packed all the way to the sidewalk in front of the Post Office......Photo 13 is the advertisement......... To surprise Percy Jessica and Jamie got me to ride to Atlanta with them to pick him up........ I had a sign like I was his driver in front of my face and he came up and said "I'm Percy Sledge" to which I replied "You ain't no Percy Sledge, I just saw him in Savannah and he is a big guy!" He replied "This sounds like Alan Walden to me!!!" I dropped the sign and we hugged and hugged......Here is a link of that day.......

He gave it his ALL that day and on the last three songs his voice began to crack.......Did he leave the stage? No way, he stayed out there like a true trooper he was and finished........Photo 14 is me leading Percy to the stage........# 15 is him shaking hands with my son, Christian and # 16 is of him, Carl Pruett and myself...

In finishing, I must tell you what I cherish the most,,,,,,,,Percy Sledge and I never had an argument in all the years I had known him..........He gave real meaning to the word, FRIEND!!!!!

Sincerely & Soulfully,

Alan
Alan Walden
2003 Inductee, Georgia Music Hall Of Fame

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/ ... usic-scene

If you dig the Laurel Canyon scene/stories, you'll like this.

linkous

Post by linkous »

RolanK wrote:
Smitty wrote:I've had an amazingly fruitful couple months when it comes to discovering music (or more accurately, getting around to listening to stuff I've neglected).
Some great stuff in there, Smitty. I had a huge Belle & Sebastian period around the time when Fold your hands child was released and got all of their albums up till then. Lost track of them a bit after that. Think If you're feeling sinister is my favorite of those four first albums. That Yo La Tengo album is also really great.

Btw. This made me remember another band I was into around the same time. Sophia. Ever heard of them? Check out the albums Fixed Water and The Infinite Circle if you haven't.
Some incredible stuff to just be discovering there Smitty, a few of my all time favourite bands named in your post - Afghan Whigs, Low, Belle and Sebastian and LCD Soundsystem. I noticed at the top of this page you had also just got into American Music Club. I was utterly obsessed with them in the late 80's and early 90's, and saw them every time they came to the UK. Possibly my favourite gig of all time was AMC in Edinburgh when they were touring Everclear.
Given that you were listening to Yo La Tengo (beantownbubba is right by the way, I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One is their masterpiece), and LCD Sounsystem I wonder did you ever get around to Stereolab? While utterly unique in their own right (as well as absolutely fucking terrific !!) they would probably appeal to fans of those two bands. Recommended albums would be Emperor Tomato Ketchup and Mars Audiac Quintet.

I know this discussion is pretty old hat, but your post on AMC caught my eye at the top of the page!