Misc Shit

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Re: Misc Shit

Post by Smitty »

I'm Not Old, Your Music Does Suck
Thursday, March 17, 5pm, ACC 11AB

The title of this panel is an abbreviated version of a bumper sticker you might have seen: "It's not that I'm old; your music really does suck." After more than 20 years of writing about music, and at least twice that as a listener, I've reached the point where a great deal of what I hear getting passed off as good and new seems simply like recycled ideas, or worse, like it has roots in sounds that would have been laughed at in the not-too-distant past. That's why I pitched this to the South by Southwest PanelPicker and will be its moderator.

Naturally it's not moderators modern music needs – it's innovators. Will today's music be looked back on fondly in 20 years, or is it all just disposable, looking to score with an ever more splintered audience? Care to buy a cassette? They seem to be making a comeback. In the early 1950s, noted science-fiction writer Theodore Sturgeon said, "Ninety percent of everything is crud." That's become known as Sturgeon's Revelation, though the last word is frequently misquoted as "crap." Time to revise Sturgeon's figure to be much higher.

How much of this is the loss of traditional gatekeepers? Perhaps the new gatekeepers – Apple, American Idol – have little sense of musical history and are clueless about the lack of just plain good songwriting. Despite all the increases in technology and the ability for any one musician's material to be heard anywhere around the globe, we're somehow suffering the laws of diminishing returns – less good music, not more. Not only is rock dead, but country, blues, folk, and pop have also run dry.

A great deal has been made about the decline of the music business. But few talk about the decline of the music itself. What if part of the reason the business is in trouble is that the music doesn't touch people the way it once did? I'll be joined by a panel of seasoned music critics to discuss everything from the aforementioned American Idol to Pitchfork and all points in between. Black arm bands available upon request

http://www.austinchronicle.com/music/20 ... does-suck/

somebody's bitter
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:
a bumper sticker you might have seen: "It's not that I'm old; your music really does suck."

I need to get one of those stickers.

As an aside, my car is a 2004 and I'm getting closer and closer to the day that I finally plaster the back end in bumper stickers. I've been threatening to do it for a while.
If you don't run you rust

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams wrote:
Smitty wrote:
a bumper sticker you might have seen: "It's not that I'm old; your music really does suck."

I need to get one of those stickers.

As an aside, my car is a 2004 and I'm getting closer and closer to the day that I finally plaster the back end in bumper stickers. I've been threatening to do it for a while.

Just be warned, if you start, the one that reads "Coexist" will cause other bumperstickers to start breeding like rabbits. That's a friend of mine's theory anyway. Well, it's more like, "if someone has a Coexist bumpersticker it means the rest of their car will be coated in decals" (or something along those lines).

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

http://www.tipitinas.com/content/webcast/

North Mississippi All Stars, Live from Tipitinas, video stream Saturday Mar 19

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Got a q for all ya'll who are more familiar with the music biz/how record labels work...

I was reading an article today about how Hank III abstained from playing new songs in his live shows, because if his record label at the time (Curb) heard the songs he would be unable to put them on a future album after his contract was up, because any songs he wrote while under contract to Curb would be licensed to their publishing company - now I've never heard of such a thing, even if they do own the rights to any songs he writes while under contract to them I don't see how they could claim ownership until he actually published the song and I don't see how it would be possible to prove that a song was written while he was under contract with them...

it was just kinda befuddling cuz I've never heard of a situation like that, and was wondering if any of ya'll who are more educated in record co. ways could elaborate...

njMark

Post by njMark »

I have a Coexcist sticker on my car, it caused all the Glenn Beck listenin, jingoistic uber-patriots I work with to have a mass apoplectic reaction. And now I know why my car always has a red puddle underneath it, here I was thinking it was trans fluid.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:Got a q for all ya'll who are more familiar with the music biz/how record labels work...

I was reading an article today about how Hank III abstained from playing new songs in his live shows, because if his record label at the time (Curb) heard the songs he would be unable to put them on a future album after his contract was up, because any songs he wrote while under contract to Curb would be licensed to their publishing company - now I've never heard of such a thing, even if they do own the rights to any songs he writes while under contract to them I don't see how they could claim ownership until he actually published the song and I don't see how it would be possible to prove that a song was written while he was under contract with them...

it was just kinda befuddling cuz I've never heard of a situation like that, and was wondering if any of ya'll who are more educated in record co. ways could elaborate...

I don't understand your question, Smitty. If he played a song while under contract to Curb, clearly it could only have been written while under contract to them (or earlier, which most likely wouldn't be relevant assuming he's been w/ them for some length of time). Or put another way, how could he (a) play a song live while under contract w/ Curb; (b) record it later after the contract is up and (c) claim that he wrote it after the contract was up?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Smitty wrote:Got a q for all ya'll who are more familiar with the music biz/how record labels work...

I don't understand your question, Smitty. If he played a song while under contract to Curb, clearly it could only have been written while under contract to them (or earlier, which most likely wouldn't be relevant assuming he's been w/ them for some length of time). Or put another way, how could he (a) play a song live while under contract w/ Curb; (b) record it later after the contract is up and (c) claim that he wrote it after the contract was up?

Easy. He could claim he wrote years before he was ever on contract, assuming the contract didn't have any clause that stated they owned the rights to any pre-existing songs.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Easy. He could claim he wrote years before he was ever on contract, assuming the contract didn't have any clause that stated they owned the rights to any pre-existing songs.

Exactly - also I don't believe a song could be considered "finished" until it's been published. Just seems kinda crazy to me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

No, not so easy. How old is Hank III? How many years has he been w/ this label? You think he can just come up w/ a song now and say, oh, yeah, i wrote this 20 years ago and just found it in the basement? Sure, it's a factual matter and it's for a jury to decide if the parties were really serious about pursuing it, but the point is Hank can't just say "I wrote this before my contract w/ you" and have that be the end of it.

And if he performs it, I'm sure that would be considered "finished enough" for Curb's purposes.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sound of the instrumental coda at the end of Decoration Day reminds me of the sound of All the Young Dudes. It'd be a great transition.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I wouldn't consider all the "groundbreaking" songs referenced as being so, but a cool article nonetheless

http
6 Songs That Were Decades Ahead of 'Groundbreaking' MusicBy M. Asher Cantrell Apr 10, 2011 819,132 views

Most great bands are considered revolutionary in some sense: You wouldn't expect anyone in the 60s to sound like Radiohead or Nine Inch Nails, just like you wouldn't expect anyone in the '30s to sound like The Beatles. That's why the songs on this list are so bizarre to listen to; they were so far ahead of the curve that their genres weren't even invented yet.

In fact, we're going to say that only time travel can explain songs like ...

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_19094_6- ... z1JTkpRfea

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Motörhead’s Lemmy Kilmister fronts new rockabilly supergroup — The Head Cat

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/backsta ... z1LnPqZ5Ir

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Smitty wrote:Motörhead’s Lemmy Kilmister fronts new rockabilly supergroup — The Head Cat

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/backsta ... z1LnPqZ5Ir

Authors are getting lazy, it's not their first album. I got their first album from emusic and it is quite good. I think a lot of people around here would enjoy it.

I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Kudzu Guillotine

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Smitty wrote:Motörhead’s Lemmy Kilmister fronts new rockabilly supergroup — The Head Cat

Saw them open for the Reverend Horton Heat. Everybody just wanted to hear Ace of Spades.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Extremely excited about this

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/jack-whi ... an-project
Jack White On Bob Dylan Project

Guitarist picked to record Hank Williams song

Music Posted by Robin Murray Wed, 11/05/2011
Jack White has spoken to ClashMusic about working on Bob Dylan's new tribute to Hank Williams.

Even the greats have heroes. For Bob Dylan, country icon Hank Williams remains an inspiration, a well of savage poetry he can draw on when his creative juices begin to run a little dry.

A few years ago the singer came in contact with a folder of lyrics, which Hank Williams had supposedly left behind. The words to a number of unreleased and unrecorded songs, Bob Dylan proposed to inject new life into the lines.

Similar to the 'Mermaid Avenue' project embarked on by Billy Bragg and Wilco, Bob Dylan began inviting artists to take part.

Jack White has previously confirmed his involvement with the project, and recently spoke to ClashMusic about the exact working process behind resurrecting the lost words of Hank Williams.

"I did a project with Bob Dylan: he put together twenty or twenty-five people to finish writing Hank Williams songs that only had lyrics and didn’t have music - it was the opposite of this project. I did this a year beforehand - I had to write music for Hank Williams’ lyrics" he explained.

"I looked through all the piles of lyrics, and one of ’em just kept speaking to me. Sometimes you think it’s gonna be really hard to find my spot, and then it picks it for you. You don’t even have to choose it; it just picks it for you."

As yet, a full release date for the project is unknown. Typically, Bob Dylan has remained cagey about the full cast list, although Jack White accidentally let slip a few names during an interview with MTV News.

"He did one, asked Willie Nelson to do one, asked me to do one, and I think Lucinda Williams and Alan Jackson are on it too" the Nashville based guitarist explained. "I think it might come out this year. It's a cool record.”

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

anyone seen this?
Paint It Black: An Alt Country Tribute To The Rolling Stones Lead [-]

High on the platter
04/21/2011 12:17 PM
SHIDOOBEE Shattered
Tags : None

Cowboy Junkies, The Handsome Family, Giant Sand and Mary Gauthier are among the artists featured on the upcoming Paint It Black: An Alt Country Tribute To The Rolling Stones. The album is due from Reimagine Music, the company that put out Subterranean Homesick Blues: A Tribute To Bob Dylan’s ‘Bringing It All Back Home.’ The album was produced by Jim Sampas, who produced the Jay Farrar/Ben Gibbard collaboration One Fast Move Or I’m Gone: Music From Kerouac’s Big Sur and the Springsteen tribute Badlands.
“This collection brings clearly to mind the maverick country energy that Gram Parsons injected into the Stones’ turn of the decade style,” says Sampas. “This grouping of artists is a dream come true for me and their alt country style suits these songs well, with one foot grounded in traditional country’s past in violins, harmonicas and pedal steel guitars, and another kicking into the 21st century, with modern recording techniques and synths.”
Check out the full Paint It Black track listing below:
Great Lake Swimmers – “Before They Make Me Run”
Matthew Ryan – “Streets of Love”
Cowboy Junkies – “Moonlight Mile”
Hem – “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”
Everest – “Sweet Virginia”
The Bittersweets – “Loving Cup”
Giant Sand – “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”
Lee Harvey Osmond and Mary Gauthier – “Dear Doctor”
Over the Rhine – “Waiting On a Friend”
Handsome Family – “Faraway Eyes”
Blue Mountain – “Torn and Frayed”
Brian Ritchey – “Paint It Black”
Neal McCarthy & Ivo Matos – “Wild Horses”
Barbara Kessler – “You Got The Silver”
Anders Parker – “Coming Down Again”

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The complete list for Americana Music Association Honors and Nominees:

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Band of Joy, Robert Plant
Welder, Elizabeth Cook
Harlem River Blues, Justin Townes Earle
Blessed, Lucinda Williams

ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Buddy Miller
Elizabeth Cook
Hayes Carll
Robert Plant

NEW/EMERGING ARTIST OF THE YEAR
The Civil Wars
Mumford And Sons
The Secret Sisters
Jessica Lea Mayfield

DUO/GROUP OF THE YEAR
The Avett Brothers
The Civil Wars
Mumford And Sons
Robert Plant and the Band Of Joy

SONG OF THE YEAR
Decemberists with Gillian Welch- “Down By The Water”
Elizabeth Cook – “El Camino”
Hayes Carll – “Kmag Yoyo”
Justin Townes Earle – “Harlem River Blues”

INSTRUMENTALIST OF THE YEAR
Buddy Miller
Gurf Morlix
Kenny Vaughan
Sarah Jarosz
Will Kimbrough

http://www.twangnation.com/2011/05/23/a ... announced/

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Shane Wilson & Coldwater - check em out

I ain’t special - MUSIC is special. Just so happens it’s what I do to earn a living...
So, I’ve played and written music my entire life. I’ve been lucky at times, and I’ve been good at times, and I’ve struggled... A LOT. The “right” musicians didn’t come along for me until about 6 months ago, and they are Bassist SHAWN DONAHOO and Drummer CLAY MARTIN - COLDWATER.
I’m honored to be an Alabama Music Hall of Fame Achiever and a Carnegie Hero Medal Winner.
I was humbled when critics embraced my ZANE RECORDS releases in 1999 and 2001, dubbing my newfound writing abilities as “platinum.” My song, “Town That Knows Everything” was heralded as “the best song SPRINGSTEEN never wrote.”
Yeah, I know. “Go figure!”
I’ll give you a list of credits like every musician/songwriter/artist does, but I’m more excited about now than then. However, I have been incredibly blessed to have worked or recorded with:
Greg Allman; “Idol” winner - Taylor Hicks; Sugarland; Widespread Panic; the late, great Buddy Miles and Butch McDade; Oteil Burbridge of The Allman Brothers; Derek Trucks; Bonnie Bramlett; Chuck Leavell; Jimmy Hall; The Drive-By Truckers; The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section; The Memphis Horns; Dan Penn, Spooner Oldham and Donnie Fritz; Delbert McClinton; Mark Wills; Lenny LeBlanc (“Above All”); Jerry Joseph; Bloodkin; Whew!! I have been lucky!

COLDWATER is four hours of original, marketable and crowd-pleasing music spring-loaded and ready for energizing shows everywhere. We are a Roots Rock, Americana, Southern Roul (rock and soul) trio based out of Decatur, AL.

Web Presence: Reverbnation.com/shanewilson; Facebook.com/shanewilson88; myspace.com/shanewilson88; twitter and shanewilsonmusic.com are currently under construction.

“Sincerely, thank you for your interest, your time and your support of original artists everywhere.” SHANE WILSON and COLDWATER

stream his music & more here

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
The complete list for Americana Music Association Honors and Nominees:

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Band of Joy, Robert Plant
Welder, Elizabeth Cook
Harlem River Blues, Justin Townes Earle
Blessed, Lucinda Williams

ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Buddy Miller
Elizabeth Cook
Hayes Carll
Robert Plant

NEW/EMERGING ARTIST OF THE YEAR
The Civil Wars
Mumford And Sons
The Secret Sisters
Jessica Lea Mayfield

DUO/GROUP OF THE YEAR
The Avett Brothers
The Civil Wars
Mumford And Sons
Robert Plant and the Band Of Joy

SONG OF THE YEAR
Decemberists with Gillian Welch- “Down By The Water”
Elizabeth Cook – “El Camino”
Hayes Carll – “Kmag Yoyo”
Justin Townes Earle – “Harlem River Blues”

INSTRUMENTALIST OF THE YEAR
Buddy Miller
Gurf Morlix
Kenny Vaughan
Sarah Jarosz
Will Kimbrough

http://www.twangnation.com/2011/05/23/a ... announced/

That's great to see Will Kimbrough getting some props.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

pretty sure that Black Flag went through that same thing w/ Unicorn....that's why there's a hole in their discography between '82 and '84.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Chicago to rename street after legendary soul singer Sam Cooke

By Associated Press
3:02 a.m. CDT, June 18, 2011

CHICAGO (AP) — The city of Chicago plans to honor soul singer Sam Cooke with his own street.

City officials will rename a section of 36th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue "Sam Cooke Way" during a Saturday afternoon ceremony. Cooke was born near the street location in Chicago's Bronzeville neighborhood.

more here
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Free MP3 Sampler from CMT (of all places)

Share / Embed
1. The Apache Relay - “American Nomad” 03:39 info download
2. Jessica Lea Mayfield - “Our Hearts Are Wrong” 03:06 info download
3. Dylan LeBlanc - “Emma Hartley” 03:20 info download
4. Caitlin Rose - “Shanghai Cigarettes” 03:52 info download
5. Justin Townes Earle - “Learning To Cry” 02:41 info download
6. Hayes Carll - “Stomp & Holler” 03:06 info download
7. Sunny Sweeney - “From a Table Away” 03:40 info download
8. Sons of Bill - “The Rain” 04:13 info download
9. Jonny Corndawg - “Night Rider” 04:00 info download
10. Joe Pug - “How Good You Are” 04:19 info download
11. The Civil Wars - “Barton Hollow” 03:25 info download
12. Matraca Berg - “Racing The Angels” 04:16 info download
13. Steve Earle - “Waitin’ On The Sky” 03:28 info download
14. Middle Brother - “Me, Me, Me” 02:57 info download
15. Ponderosa - “I Don’t Mind (Live from American Songwriter)” 04:37 info download
16. Randy Montana - “1000 Faces” 04:03 info download
17. Walker Hayes - “Why Wait For Summer” 03:42 info download
18. Miss Willie Brown - “Couyon Crazy” 03:01 info download
19. Randy Rogers Band - “Interstate” 04:42 info download
20. Josh Kelley - “Gone Like That” 03:58 info download
21. Diana Jones - “High Atmosphere” 02:44 info download
22. Andrew Combs - “Wanderin’ Heart” 02:39 info download
23. Charlie Louvin - “Weapon Of Prayer” 03:13 info download
24. Robert Ellis - “Westbound Train” 04:09 info download
25. Wrinkle Neck Mules - “Catfish And Color TVs” 04:08 info download
26. Ryan Tanner - “I Never Did My Best” 04:58 info download
27. Marty Stuart - “Hummingbyrd” 03:21 info download
28. Jim Lauderdale - “Patchwork River” 04:42 info download
29. Lori McKenna - “Still Down Here” 04:03 info download
30. Buddy Miller - “God’s Winged Horse” 04:10 info download
31. Jason Isbell - “Codeine” 05:38

Kudzu Guillotine

For a "zoomable" version of this image, click here.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Was Townes Van Zandt better than Dylan?

By all accounts the life of Townes Van Zandt was high southern gothic made real. The briefest of biographies on this musician puts you in mind of the fractured lives imagined by Tennessee Williams. It's a narrative rife with confounded expectations and hounding demons from which, by dint of talent and endurance, astonishing beauty was extracted.

Kudzu Guillotine

joelle

Post by joelle »

miscellaneous shit?
centro-matic is THE shit.
gas blowin out of their eyes kind of excellent.
fuck the cusp,
they are pure magnificent .

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/articles/ ... lliam-gay/

This kid I know, a friend of mine, was looking at the cover of the vinyl album he was holding. He looked perplexed and a little irritated. "This guy's ripping off The Clash," he said. I looked. The color scheme of pink and green and white and black framing the portrait in the center was eye-catching, and it was somewhat punkish.....