Misc Shit

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

Re: Misc Shit

Post by dime in the gutter »

well, you've always got mudcrutch.

disney was almost in louisiana. thank god for old by politics getting in the way.

no good music out of miami over the years?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

dime in the gutter wrote:no good music out of miami over the years?
I was mulling this over and I realize there was a lot of music from Florida, and specifically from Miami, that I don't personally listen to but would like to know more about. If there's a commercial act like Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine, then there are dozens of lower-level acts doing the same thing which I'd probably like more. Or might not. They can't all be Shakira. But you get what I mean. So I think it's less the population increase than the demographic changes. I didn't know till I looked it up that there are not one but two genres of dance music--Miami bass and Florida breaks--which have some level of popularity.

Which got me to thinking that the of two big American cities I've never seen, maybe seeing Miami before it goes under is more important than seeing Seattle before the tsunami. And I still don't want to see Las Vegas. Or go to Chelsea.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

charlie pickett!!!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

dime in the gutter wrote:charlie pickett!!!
you beat me to it.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Really good No Depression article about Herb Pedersen, who I know has a few fans on here. Good stuff about Jerry Garcia, Gene Clark, The Dillards, Eagles..etc.
http://nodepression.com/article/herb-pe ... a-and-more

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

My ABB tribute band played at The Foundry in Athens last night. Kevin Sweeney, of Hayride, etc. fame, runs the sound there and he sat in with us on several songs. Dude is a monster guitarist.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

John A Arkansawyer

I came to a realization today which belongs in the pop music version of Slonimski's Lexicon of Musical Invective:
I wrote:I hate the very idea of Americana. It's just roots music by, for, and about white people, rock filtered through NPR's aging kidneys. If only so many of the bands who are slotted into it weren't so great! Then I could hate them. But I can't.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Dear Prudence on rail etiquette. It's the last item.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Those of us of a certain age whose main reason for living involved tearing the shrink wrap off a new record will enjoy this: https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... th/528549/

John A Arkansawyer

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Markalanbishop wrote:Has any decent music come out of Florida since the early 70's? I mean after Parsons, Skynyrd, ABB, Petty, Buffett, the Mavericks, and I'm sure a couple of others I'm forgetting, it seems like a wasteland. There are no doubt good local bands but I never hear about them. I grew up there but left in 1976. The explosion in population after Disney just fucked everything up I guess.

Was googling and laughed at this:
As a borderline banana republic—and the unequivocal wang of the US—Florida as a cesspool of old people, tourism, Nascar fans, shame, and pretty much everything else that sucks, is the ongoing reason why a majority of music from the Sunshine State tends to suck as well. From shitty boy bands in the late 90s, to crappy pop-punk bands and revolting death-metal crapola, it’s hard to imagine anything musically proficient emerging from some place so awful.

Can anyone educate me?
i guess it depends on your definition of 'decent music' but Florida was ground zero for death metal in the US...
http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/music/t ... me-6421141

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I'm sure we all have our own lists:

Slate’s Definitive Ranking of Songs in Which Aliens Exterminate All Life on Earth
no Children of the Sun, list invalid ;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

For those of you not on the book of face, or who are not friends with me because I only know your 3DD name :D , I play in an Allman Brothers tribute band as a hobby. Last night we played at Northside Tavern here in Atlanta. We started our second set, look over, and there's fucking Jaimoe and his Jassz Band members hanging out. They checked us out for 4 or 5 songs and then came up and sat in with us. It was so fucking cool. They ended up staying for the entire set and Jaimoe was out on the dance floor having a great time. Here's Stormy Monday--Jaimoe is playing my drums and I moved to the other kit.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Markalanbishop wrote:Jaimoe is playing my drums
8-) 8-) 8-)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

was definitely more than just a little surprised when I heard Kevin Morby in a Volvo ad

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Markalanbishop wrote:For those of you not on the book of face, or who are not friends with me because I only know your 3DD name :D , I play in an Allman Brothers tribute band as a hobby. Last night we played at Northside Tavern here in Atlanta. We started our second set, look over, and there's fucking Jaimoe and his Jassz Band members hanging out. They checked us out for 4 or 5 songs and then came up and sat in with us. It was so fucking cool. They ended up staying for the entire set and Jaimoe was out on the dance floor having a great time. Here's Stormy Monday--Jaimoe is playing my drums and I moved to the other kit.
that is awesome.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:that is awesome.
Totally. I've been telling this story to pretty much everyone I know, even the ones I have to tell who Jaimoe is.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Totally.
x3 Awesome indeed. But can someone please tell me how to pronounce Jaimoe?? :oops:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Totally.
x3 Awesome indeed. But can someone please tell me how to pronounce Jaimoe?? :oops:
+
?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

^^^
I think that's Norwegian for JAY moe.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Totally.
Think that’s hard, try pronouncing Jai Johanny Johanson ;)

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:^^^
Thank you bubba
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:^^^
Exactly. But with the accent on the two and the four.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

whatwouldcooleydo?

tomorrow there is live Christmas jazz (whatever that is) at a local winery called Odyssey

So, does this qualify as Jazz Odyssey?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Markalanbishop wrote:For those of you not on the book of face, or who are not friends with me because I only know your 3DD name :D , I play in an Allman Brothers tribute band as a hobby. Last night we played at Northside Tavern here in Atlanta. We started our second set, look over, and there's fucking Jaimoe and his Jassz Band members hanging out. They checked us out for 4 or 5 songs and then came up and sat in with us. It was so fucking cool. They ended up staying for the entire set and Jaimoe was out on the dance floor having a great time. Here's Stormy Monday--Jaimoe is playing my drums and I moved to the other kit.
Saw this on bt.etree and Immediately wondered if this was Mark's band. A glance at the band members showed that it indeed our boy's group!

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=597101

Tribute Band - A Celebration Of The Allman Brothers Band
Variety Playhouse
Atlanta, Georgia
1/6/2018

Source: Schoeps CCM4V's>Lunatec V2>Sound Devices 722 (24/44)
FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC/AARP Center Section, 3rd Row, Between Seats 7 & 8, 7 1/2' High
DSP: Sound Devices 722>Sound Forge 10.0>CD Wave>flac(16)
ID3 Tagged In Foobar 2000
Recorded By: Z-Man
Seeded By: Z-Man

Disc I

01 Little Martha
02 Ain't Wastin' Time No More
03 *Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
04 *Done Somebody Wrong
05 *Statesboro Blues
06 Don't Want You No More >
07 It Ain't My Cross To Bear
08 *Black-Hearted Woman
09 Revival
10 In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
11 Blue sky

Disc II

01 Midnight Rider
02 Come And Go Blues
03 Southbound
04 Jessica
05 Tell The Truth
06 *Trouble No More
07 *One Way Out
08 *Soulshine
09 Whippin' Post

* With ? On Harmonica

Larry Griggs - Guitar And Vocals
Rod Gunther- Guitar
Oliver Nichols - Vocals And Percussion
Chris Jones - Bass
Tom Stinson - Drums
Mark Bishop - Drums
John Marsten - Percussion And Acoustic Guitar
Henry Davis - Keyboards

whatwouldcooleydo?

listening to David Bromberg's version of Mr. Bojangles. I'll be damned if every single time I ever hear this song I don't get a big lump in my throat at "the dog up & died" and "cause I drinks a bit" :( :( :(

John A Arkansawyer

You figure LJ would know whether Tori Amos sings "I'm just a girl who hates to sin", "I'm just a girl who lives to sin", or "I'm just a girl who likes to sin" in "Happy Phantom"? I distinctly hear 'lives' on both the original and the remaster (except when I hear 'likes'), but the live versions I've listened to distinctly sound like 'hates'. The lyric sheet says 'hates'. But just listen at 1:23 and hear for yourself:

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

As a big fan of anything Tori put out up until the mid '00's, and since LJ isn't around to chime in- I will give you my two cents.
Without a lyric sheet to compare to, here's what I hear (off the remastered Little Earthquakes):
"I'm still an angel to the girl who lives to sin." (keep in mind, that I went from Adam's House Cat to listening to this which is a tough transition! ;) )

John A Arkansawyer

From Adrian Belew's Facebook page:
at last nights show in Santiago I was truly mobbed by the audience. at the end of the show (a very exciting show, by the way) instead of exiting back to the dressing rooms I walked straight out into the sold-out theatre and slowly made my way up the aisle. there were people literally hanging off of me. there were times when I couldn’t move. it wasn’t scary, it was beautiful, the love I felt from all those people.

if you’ve ever wondered why us “older gentleman” continue to tour the world, that’s it in a nutshell.

when I finally reached the doorway exit at the top of the aisle, it opened into a jam-packed lobby! a surge of energy shot through the room and they all began doing one of those soccer chants, “oh oh uh oh oh”. I never felt so much love. I nearly cried with happiness.

thank you Santiago.

John A Arkansawyer