Mandolin Orange

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

DiamondDave

Mandolin Orange

Post by DiamondDave »

Saw Mandolin Orange last night and came away rather impressed. I went having only listened to a few youtube clips, of which, the Tiny Desk Concert was the deciding one. Glad I went. They put on one heck of a show, albeit a short one. The opener, Rachel Baimen started us off at 8pm, and everything was done by 10:15pm. But, with that one criticism, they managed to grace us with a bunch of great music for the evening. "Wild Fire" is about as well written as a song can be. A song that causes thought, while not being overly forceful. They commented a couple times how much they loved the feel and sound of the room. So much so, that they ended with a mike free show closer at the stage edge, of Ralph Stanley's "Little Birdie". I was fortunate to get the set list, and Andrew and Emily were gracious enough to sign it for me following the show.
A closing thought on the crowd. Say what you will about hipsters and or millennials, of which I would say was the predominant group in attendance last night. It was one of the most polite, attentive and respectful crowds I've seen at a music event all year. No drunks, no pushing or shoving for space. Even the talkers were few and far between. At times, I swear you could have heard a pin drop. It was refreshing to say the least. All in all, it was a great night for music in OKC. Next up, I've got John Moreland on 12/2 and Steve Earle on 12/21.....both at the this same venue.

"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: Mandolin Orange

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Saw them at a festival this past summer and they were one of the highlights of the weekend for me. Blindfaller is a great album for anyone looking to get into them.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I have seen and enjoyed them several times, and I'm looking forward to my next opportunity.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Cool band.
Joe Westerlund from Megafaun on drums.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords