RIP Gord Downie (Tragically Hip)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

RIP Gord Downie (Tragically Hip)

Post by chuckrh »

Gord has lost his battle with brain cancer. A gifted performer who followed his muse. He will be missed!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 53-w504219

blessedcurse

Re: RIP Gord Downie (Tragically Hip)

Post by blessedcurse »

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Rest in Power Gord.
My condolences to all of Canada today in the loss of such a treasure.

Art continues to imitate life and that last Canadian tour was an epic way to go out. The Living Bubba indeed.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

blessedcurse wrote:Image
An incredibly inspiring man. RIP Gord.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I had criminally overlooked the Tragically Hip for way too many years until Gord Downie's struggles brought their music back to my attention. The first takeaway was just how fucking good the music was but the second, and much more important, was bravery and fierceness of spirit I saw in this man as he battled cancer. Inspiring hardly covers it. RIP sir, you fought one hell of a fight.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Here's a statement from earlier today from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau:

“For almost five decades, Gord Downie uncovered and told the stories of Canada. He was the frontman of one of Canada’s most iconic bands, a rock star, artist, and poet whose evocative lyrics came to define a country. The Tragically Hip’s music invited us to explore places we had never been – from Mistaken Point to Churchill – and helped us understand each other, while capturing the complexity and vastness of the place we call home. Gord’s command of language was profound. He painted landscapes with his words, elevating Canadian geography, historical figures, and myths. When he spoke, he gave us goosebumps and made us proud to be Canadian. Our identity and culture are richer because of his music, which was always raw and honest – like Gord himself. In the wake of his diagnosis, Gord only fought harder for what he believed in: social justice, environmentalism, and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples. Before passing, he shined his light on the story of 12-year-old Chanie Wenjack who died from hunger and exposure after trying to find his way home from a residential school. For his work raising awareness of Indigenous issues, he was inducted as a member of the Order of Canada in 2017. Gord did not rest from working for the issues he cared about, and his commitment and passion will continue to motivate Canadians for years to come. On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to Gord’s family, friends, bandmates and crew members, and his many, many fans. He will be sorely missed.”

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Such sad news - RIP Gord - your music lives on forever.....

http://www.thehip.com/news/statement/

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^^ Chuck thanks for posting that from Trudeau.

We knew this day was coming but that's still doesn't make it any easier.

RIP.

By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG7NhdmJfao

Check this out. A friend from Canada turned me on to them, along with David Wilcox (not the one from NC) . Pretty trippy back in the day.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Grainy footage of The Tragically Hip on Saturday Night Live back in the day.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/125904/
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life