Songs of the Year 2017

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Songs of the Year 2017

Post by Iowan »

Obviously the year is far from over, but what's everyone got thus far?

Top 10 so far
"The Housefire" Turnpike Troubadours
"Feet Don't Fail Me Now" Queens of the Stone Age
"Feathered Indians" Tyler Childers
"Tupelo" Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit
"Slow Down Easy" John Moreland
"Shortcut" Bash & Pop
"Sidelong" Sarah Shook & The Disarmers
"Alex Nieto" Chuck Prophet
"Sinking Down" Son Volt
"Whitewash" Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

I've been obsessed with all of these throughout the year. If the studio version of "White House Road" (Tyler Childers) been closer to the live acoustic version, it would have claimed a spot.

Also of note, about half of these songs are from albums I'm pretty sure won't be in my year end Top 10.

211poundsofpork

Re: Songs of the Year 2017

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Tupelo is a decent song from a mediocre album but to me it is not even close to Song of the Year. As for "Whitewash" - that is funny because that is my least favorite on the new album. Interesting.

Iowan wrote:Obviously the year is far from over, but what's everyone got thus far?

Top 10 so far
"Shortcut" Bash & Pop
"Sinking Down" Son Volt

I've been obsessed with all of these throughout the year. If the studio version of "White House Road" (Tyler Childers) been closer to the live acoustic version, it would have claimed a spot.

Also of note, about half of these songs are from albums I'm pretty sure won't be in my year end Top 10.

Clams

Post by Clams »

In my opinion it's been a very strong year for new music, and a couple of songs come immediately to mind...

Willie Nelson "Still Not Dead" is a great tune and makes you smile
Chuck Prophet "Jesus Was a Social Drinker" and also "Alex Nieto" are both excellent
Tyler Childers "Feathered Indians" and "Whitehouse Road" (Iowan, I'd like to hear that acoustic version you mentioned). "Banded Clovis" too.

Definitely a few others that I can't recall at the moment

All that said, it'll be hard for anything to top God in Chicago by Craig Finn:

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I had a rental car without a CD player this weekend, and I think I'm the only person here who might put this into such a list, maybe because I hear so little commercial country these days that when it sounds good, it sounds really good, but I heard this song for the first time over the weekend and I think it made it into mine:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Hurray for the Riff Raff's "Living in the City" is pretty high on my list. (and The Navigator!)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I had a rental car without a CD player this weekend, and I think I'm the only person here who might put this into such a list, maybe because I hear so little commercial country these days that when it sounds good, it sounds really good, but I heard this song for the first time over the weekend and I think it made it into mine:

I don't know that I'm going to run out and listen to the new Brad Paisley album, but he's without a doubt one of the most likeable and authentic mainstream country guys. Hell of a guitar player too.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

211poundsofpork wrote:Tupelo is a decent song from a mediocre album but to me it is not even close to Song of the Year. As for "Whitewash" - that is funny because that is my least favorite on the new album. Interesting.

Iowan wrote:Obviously the year is far from over, but what's everyone got thus far?

Top 10 so far
"Shortcut" Bash & Pop
"Sinking Down" Son Volt

I agree that Nashville Sound is a mediocre album, but man Tupelo sticks with me for some reason.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:In my opinion it's been a very strong year for new music, and a couple of songs come immediately to mind...

Chuck Prophet "Jesus Was a Social Drinker" and also "Alex Nieto" are both excellent
Tyler Childers "Feathered Indians" and "Whitehouse Road" (Iowan, I'd like to hear that acoustic version you mentioned). "Banded Clovis" too.

There's an urgency to it that makes it stick out.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The Perilous Night
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Tried just going off the top of my head, so I’m sure I missed something, but my absolute favorites so far:

“Feathered Indians” - Tyler Childers
“Last of My Kind” - Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit
“Old Wounds” - John Moreland
“Groundswell” - Angaleena Presley
“Either Way” - Chris Stapleton
“Codeine Dream” - Colter Wall
“Weakness” - Margo Price
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

"Smell the Roses" - Roger Waters
"Break a Guitar" - Ty Segall
"FEAR." - Kendrick Lamar
"This House is on Fire" - Dead Man Winter
"Funerals" - Phoebe Bridgers
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

"Mary Rose" - Gasoline Lollipops
"Feathered Indians" - Tyler Childers
"This Is How It Ends" - Steve Earle
"Kate McCannon" - Colter Wall
"Nail My Feet..." LBIII & GF
"Toy Gun" - A Giant Dog
"DUCKWORTH." - Kendrick Lamar
Last edited by Mundane Mayhem on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:"Mary Rose" - Gasoline Lollipops
Yes, I'm going to keep banging this drum. Excited to see their Halloween show here in Denver on 10/20.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

walthers

Post by walthers »

Iowan wrote:
Clams wrote:In my opinion it's been a very strong year for new music, and a couple of songs come immediately to mind...

There's an urgency to it that makes it stick out.
Yes, fantastic version, thanks for sharing.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Think I'd add "The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness" by The National to my list. Also "The Memo" by Father John Misty.
Last edited by Mundane Mayhem on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Tried just going off the top of my head, so I’m sure I missed something, but my absolute favorites so far:

“Weakness” - Margo Price
Surely the song of the year can't be limited to a single genre.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Tried just going off the top of my head, so I’m sure I missed something, but my absolute favorites so far:

“Weakness” - Margo Price
Surely the song of the year can't be limited to a single genre.
True, problem with going off the top of my head is I tend to group stuff together. Kendrick Lamar definitely has some contenders that I’ve seen posted, and I’m partial to a few off Father John Misty’s latest album.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

The War On Drugs - Thinking of a Place
GospelbeacH - You're Already Home
Rhiannon Giddens - We Could Fly
Willie Nelson - Old Timer
Strand of Oaks - Taking Acid And Talking To My Brother
The Dream Syndicate - How Did I Find Myself Here?
Linda Perhacs - The Dancer
Aimee Mann - Simple Fix
The Sadies - The Elements Song
David Rawlings - Airplane
Laura Marling - Nothing, Not Nearly
Gregg Allman - My Only True Friend
Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - If We Were Vampires
The Secret Sisters - Mississippi
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

WarHenRecords wrote:
Damn, forgot about that one! Should be on my list too.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

INPO:

"Feed the Pain" Lost Balloons
"Malibu Entropy" Rips
"My Children" Protomartyr
"Need to Feel Your Love" Sheer Mag
"Rooftops" The Bats
"Glide" The Dream Syndicate
"Away" Bed Wettin' Bad Boys
"Star Roving" Slowdive
"French Press" Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever
"Predator" Will Johnson
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm still a pretty big fan of the list I posted up there. Kinda forgot about John Moreland after I didn't care for his last album.

I still love Tupelo too, despite being pretty disinterested with Isbell's career at this point.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Thanks for bumping this thread, haven't listened to God in Chicago in ages. That song, and especially the video, still gives me goosebumps.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:24 am
Thanks for bumping this thread, haven't listened to God in Chicago in ages. That song, and especially the video, still gives me goosebumps.
I listened to it a few times this spring after the last THS album came out. It's a pretty stunning piece of art.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:39 am
I'm still a pretty big fan of the list I posted up there. Kinda forgot about John Moreland after I didn't care for his last album.

I still love Tupelo too, despite being pretty disinterested with Isbell's career at this point.
Pretty disinterested in Isbell’s career at this point. Yeah that’s exactly how I feel. It’s happened gradually over the years. I hardly ever find myself listening to him.

Is there anything to a rumor I heard about Turnpike Troubadours talking reunion? Hope so.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:36 pm
Iowan wrote:

Pretty disinterested in Isbell’s career at this point. Yeah that’s exactly how I feel. It’s happened gradually over the years. I hardly ever find myself listening to him.

Is there anything to a rumor I heard about Turnpike Troubadours talking reunion? Hope so.
I have no idea, but I kinda doubt it with RC Edwards and Hank Early's band releasing their first album next month, and Kyle Nix and Gabe Pearson are touring his album from last year pretty hard.

If I had to guess, I'd put money on an Evan Felker solo album in the next two years - his "Southeastern", if you will. That will probably be a stunning work of art, and within 5-6 years, my guess is that enough time will have passed and demand will be high enough for a Turnpike reunion. I doubt it will be any time soon though.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:17 am
Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:36 pm
Iowan wrote:

I have no idea, but I kinda doubt it with RC Edwards and Hank Early's band releasing their first album next month, and Kyle Nix and Gabe Pearson are touring his album from last year pretty hard.

If I had to guess, I'd put money on an Evan Felker solo album in the next two years - his "Southeastern", if you will. That will probably be a stunning work of art, and within 5-6 years, my guess is that enough time will have passed and demand will be high enough for a Turnpike reunion. I doubt it will be any time soon though.
Ten four. Well I hope it happens at some point. I didn’t know what the other guys were up to now. In a write up that I did about a recent trout fishing trip I took to Rabun County I quoted a few lines from The Bird Hunters.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.