Where Are You, Jay Bennett?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Where Are You, Jay Bennett?

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I went to post this under the Wilco Artist of the Week thread but was surprised to learn there wasn't one. At any rate, I figured this would be something folks here are interested in. Though I'd been aware of them for a while and had even seen them in concert prior to this (Mermaid Avenue tour), it wasn't until a friend gave me a copy of Being There in the late 90's that I really sat up and took notice. Then, I was all in for summerteeth. All told, I think I saw Wilco with Jay something like two times; the aforementioned Mermaid Avenue tour and when they opened for R.E.M. in 1999 when summerteeth was new. I wish I had seen them more back then but am just thankful to have seen them at all during the Jay Bennett era. For more information on the doc, click on the image below. If you'd like to contribute to the Kickstarter, there's just a few days left to do so.

About this project
A feature-length documentary on Jay Bennett, a legendary musician, who as a member of Wilco, was a large part of the genius behind three seminal albums (Being There, Summerteeth, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot -- he co-wrote most of Summerteeth and YHF with Jeff Tweedy) as well as the Mermaid Avenue/Woody Guthrie sessions with Billy Bragg, and who went on to a critically acclaimed solo career, before dying tragically at the age of 45.

Rocky

Re: Where Are You, Jay Bennett?

Post by Rocky »

I guess this is becoming Gorman Bechard's schtick; films about cult musicians. The Replacements, Grant Hart, Lydia Loveless and now Jay Bennett.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Rocky wrote:I guess this is becoming Gorman Bechard's schtick; films about cult musicians. The Replacements, Grant Hart, Lydia Loveless and now Jay Bennett.
He also makes other types of movies so I'm not sure if I perceive it as "schtick." The way I look at it, if one more person learns about any of these artists through one of these films that wouldn't have known about them otherwise, then I consider that to be for the greater good for those of us that love music. By the way, he's also currently at work on a documentary on Sarah Shook. Personally, it's one I'm looking forward to seeing just as I am this one.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Rocky wrote:I guess this is becoming Gorman Bechard's schtick; films about cult musicians. The Replacements, Grant Hart, Lydia Loveless and now Jay Bennett.
He also makes other types of movies so I'm not sure if I perceive it as "schtick." The way I look at it, if one more person learns about any of these artists through one of these films that wouldn't have known about them otherwise, then I consider that to be for the greater good for those of us that love music. By the way, he's also currently at work on a documentary on Sarah Shook. Personally, it's one I'm looking forward to seeing just as I am this one.
Yep, schtick.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

This reaction is odd coming from folks on a message board that largely listen to and actively support artists that are often off the grid and aren't considered mainstream. While I'm a long time fan of Wilco and have seen I'm Trying To Break Your Heart, I look forward to learning more about Jay Bennett. Also, if you truly believe that making documentaries about these type of artists is "schtick," I suggest checking out Gorman Bechard's filmography at this link.

GormanBechard

Post by GormanBechard »

The Replacements, Archers of Loaf, Grant Hart, Lydia Loveless, Sarah Shook, Jay Bennett. Some say I have a "shtick." I say I have a love for sharing the brilliant yet often overlooked and misunderstood. The underdogs of rock and roll who are really the ones keeping it alive. (Sort of like the Drive By Truckers, y'know.)

Why Jay Bennett? Because when Jay Bennett took the stage with Jeff Tweedy in Wilco, it was like witnessing a miracle. And when Fred Uhter brought me his amazing footage and said he needed my assistance, there was no way I could say no. I loved the three Bennett-era Wilco albums as much as any I've ever heard.

With only a few days to go, please pledge your support for getting “Where are you, Jay Bennett?” made. It’s an all or nothing proposition. If you aren't in a position to back the project, please share! Help us continue to tell the music stories that shaped all of our lives. We're at 90% with three days to go. And we have some amazing rewards. Please check it out...Thank you. Gorman Bechard

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/go ... =user_menu