all time sellouts

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beebs

Re: all time sellouts

Post by Beebs »

beantownbubba wrote:"Selling out" (whatever that is) AND not making money? I think the word for that is failure.

This seems to be assigning some cash value to selling out while I believe it's a condition of one's integrity and soul.

I know a guy who briefly in his youth was an earnest song writer. He now tries to write formulaic "christian country pop" songs cause that's what he hears on the radio and thinks he's going to cash in. He's never made a single penny off of a song and I maintain that he's as big a sell out as they come.

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There are sorts of ways to sell out and not all of them are bad. Getting song placements in movies or TV has always seemed to be an acceptable route while commercials are seen as unacceptable. To me they're really the same and both can be done badly and both can be done well. If your song about real emotion and the loves of your life has the lyrics changed to promote a dish rag with greater absorbency you most likely have done it wrong. If your song plays in a beer commercial while beautiful horses march across the countryside if your song was already good, it probably still is.

this
Beebs is not a ragey man

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Beebs wrote:
In my interpretation you can sell out and never make more than a quick buck, here and there…

And/Or

You could make gobs of cash and still maintain your dignity, artistic and otherwise.

Interesting. I can't think of an example, though?
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Penny Lane wrote:
Beebs wrote:
In my interpretation you can sell out and never make more than a quick buck, here and there…

And/Or

You could make gobs of cash and still maintain your dignity, artistic and otherwise.

Interesting. I can't think of an example, though?

Yeah, kind of a flaw in the argument. How to come up with an example of a sell out that didn't "make it" by selling out, but yet we're aware of?

I'll come up with something.
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beebs wrote:I know a guy who briefly in his youth was an earnest song writer. He now tries to write formulaic "christian country pop" songs cause that's what he hears on the radio and thinks he's going to cash in. He's never made a single penny off of a song and I maintain that he's as big a sell out as they come.

Agreed. I'd also describe him as a failure (as a songwriter).

As I understand it, the term "selling out" refers to a conscious attempt to make something popular w/out regard to one's own aesthetic/artistic integrity. IOW, whether one succeeds or not is not relevant to determining whether one has sold out. I'm just suggesting that one who has sold out yet not made money has achieved a double whammy of an "achievement."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:As I understand it, the term "selling out" refers to a conscious attempt to make something popular w/out regard to one's own aesthetic/artistic integrity. IOW, whether one succeeds or not is not relevant to determining whether one has sold out.

I'm not sure that one has to sacrifice their "own aesthetic/artistic integrity" when making a conscious effort to be popular. First though, let's be clear, we are talking about two separate but sometimes interrelated things here. The first is trying to consciously make art that it is more commercial. I think there are more artists/bands that are accused of this than truthfully do this, sometimes by assholes like me or sometime actually me, but there is no question it happens. Bonnie Raitt did this with Nick of Time and succeeded. She had released a string of really good records that consistently topped out on the charts middle of the pack anywhere from 25-80 and then released an album in 1986 that came nowhere near those respectable, if unspectacular numbers. She talked with her many friends in the business and came up with a strategy to sell more records. In 1989 she succeeded with Nick of Time that topped off at #1 and went multi-platinum. Artistically the album is pretty damned good too, she used more outside songwriters, slicker production and less of her trademark slide guitar work but you can't say it was crap either. Was it a sellout? Yes, because she consciously set out to make a more salable product. Did she sacrifice her artistic integrity? I don't think so unless of course you believe that slide guitar defined who she was prior to that record. I'm sure some do, objectively it's probably not so.

The second kind of sellout being discussed is lending, or more accurately selling, your song(s) to a commercial venture larger than or even unrelated to your own efforts. This would be either writing specifically for movies, TV, advertising, etc. or selling previously written songs to those ventures. Again this can be done with the utmost integrity (Patterson Hood's Depression Era comes to mind) or it could be written with a distinct commercial appeal (think James Bond themes, not all of them bad but all of them sold for their commercial potential). I think it's much easier to tell whether an artist has crossed a line in this type of "sellout" than it is in the one discussed above. Again if your song about your beloved mother is changed to sell soap, well you probably messed up the integrity score but if, in contrast, your beautiful song is purchased and used intact to promote a quality product well maybe not so much. if you consistently sell to the latter and never to the former than I think you can probably sleep easy at night knowing that you have both satisfied your financial needs and desires without singing intimate thoughts about washing your clothes. Win-win.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i honestly see Glenn's side of that. He's just as big (if not bigger) a part of the Misfits and their iconography as Jerry. why shouldn't he get $ from merch sales?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:i honestly see Glenn's side of that. He's just as big (if not bigger) a part of the Misfits and their iconography as Jerry. why shouldn't he get $ from merch sales?

The point wasn't who deserves what money. The point was that Black Flag has a merch deal with Hot fucking Topic

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I've been thinking about this a lot recently & have decided that I am the all-time sellout. I was gonna be somebody. I was gonna make a difference. Instead I have become something far less than that. I sold out to the safer road, the less risky path. I was gonna be part of the solution & instead I let myself become overwhelmed by my own problems. I sold out to 500 gallons of Jack Daniels & about 2 tons of marijuana. I talk the talk but I don't walk the walk. I am a proletariat peon who was gonna break the very corporate stranglehold that I have succumbed to. I was gonna fix their fuzzy math. I was gonna blaze the golden path. I sold out to complacency. I make Rod Stewart look like a bastion of integrity.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

tinnitus photography

Zip City wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:i honestly see Glenn's side of that. He's just as big (if not bigger) a part of the Misfits and their iconography as Jerry. why shouldn't he get $ from merch sales?

The point wasn't who deserves what money. The point was that Black Flag has a merch deal with Hot fucking Topic

are you confusing Misfits with Black Flag?

or with Hot fucking Topic?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Zip City wrote:

No idea why I wrote Black Flag when I just read the article. My bad

tinnitus photography

even if it was Black Flag, there are tons of counterfeit uses of that symbol. Ginn's a dick (and should spread his $ around to other members), but if he wants to license the 4 bars to Hot Topic, go ahead.

linkous

Post by linkous »

I've only read the first few posts, but if the criteria is indeed "betraying your music for the sake of bank" as one poster said, then for me that sounds like a certain band from Athens, GA. Circa 1986 by my reckoning, no pun intended.
Last edited by linkous on Thu May 08, 2014 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Slipkid42 wrote: I make Rod Stewart look like a bastion of integrity.

you shut your whore mouth
Beebs is not a ragey man

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Zip City wrote:

The legend grows.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

love the bull fighter arm swing at the end.

Dean

Post by Dean »

Black Keys

I get working to get your music heard, but damn, to license it out to EVERY Tom, Dick, and Harry to come calling?

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

dime in the gutter wrote:
love the bull fighter arm swing at the end.

WTF did I just watch? What in the eff does Paul Stanley have to do with coffee? Or the circus?

Would most Folgers drinkers even know who Paul Stanly is? Out of makeup?

Head hurts, world unraveling

Beebs is not a ragey man

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

bathroom bump
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Hiya Ryan. Hiya pal.
Last edited by linkous on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I don't want to overshare here but....that Paul Stanley Folgers commercial made my dick hurt.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Rocky wrote:I don't want to overshare here but....that Paul Stanley Folgers commercial made my dick hurt.
I watched it after reading that and I'm disappointed. I thought she was going to swing low enough to take him out with two feet to the groin.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Indicative of how people misunderstand/misinterpret the term "sell out", I've seen it tossed at Sturgill Simpson's new record a lot today. Call it what you want, but he ain't "selling out" at all.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:Indicative of how people misunderstand/misinterpret the term "sell out", I've seen it tossed at Sturgill Simpson's new record a lot today. Call it what you want, but he ain't "selling out" at all.
There will always be a subset of music fans that simply want every artist they like to copy and paste their first album over and over for their entire careers.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Zip City wrote:
Smitty wrote:Indicative of how people misunderstand/misinterpret the term "sell out", I've seen it tossed at Sturgill Simpson's new record a lot today. Call it what you want, but he ain't "selling out" at all.
There will always be a subset of music fans that simply want every artist they like to copy and paste their first album over and over for their entire careers.
Agree with that, there's nothing worse. Which is why The Fall are the best band of all time natch!

Sturgill Simpson's album is a real divider I reckon. It's not very original, fairly grandiose, overloaded with horns and I can't bring myself to listen to it. However, I can understand why people will really love it.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Sturgill gives zero fucks.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sturgill: "linkous? never heard of him"

linkous

Post by linkous »

Zip City wrote:Sturgill: "linkous? never heard of him"
every cloud...... :D

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

linkous wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Agree with that, there's nothing worse. Which is why The Fall are the best band of all time natch!

Sturgill Simpson's album is a real divider I reckon. It's not very original, fairly grandiose, overloaded with horns and I can't bring myself to listen to it. However, I can understand why people will really love it.

Why is that?
FWIW, I think it does sound fairly original; it is grandiose and horn-heavy, but I dig it.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Smitty wrote:
linkous wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Why is that?
FWIW, I think it does sound fairly original; it is grandiose and horn-heavy, but I dig it.
Just my opinion. I'm not the biggest fan of his voice , and it's a bit in your face on this record. I kind of overlooked it on the first two albums.