The Magpie Salute

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cockblocktherock

The Magpie Salute

Post by Cockblocktherock »

Just got home from seeing the first show for these guys. Rich Robinson, Marc Ford, Sven Pipien of The Black Crowes along with a few others playing lots of Crowes tunes, a few covers, and a few from Marc and Rich's solo catalog. It was outstanding. If you dig the Crowes or just good RnR, get out and see them when they announce more dates as I assume they will. Started out with a great tribute to the late, great Eddie Hawrysch, former Crowes keyboard player that was supposed to be a part of this before he passed away a couple months ago.

chuckrh

Re: The Magpie Salute

Post by chuckrh »

Really like the record & watched several clips on youtube. I need to see this band!

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

They're great...I flew to London to see them for the 4 nights run in April (their 5-8 shows in total after the NYC run in January). The album is a beautiful look at the muscianship of the past, but also look int othe future. At the end of the year they gonna record another album with all new original material, and that will be interesting way more. They can do great stuff, especially with Rich & Marc together.

And also, the album is a greta farewell to Eddie...he really shine through the recordings. His last.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

This is what they wrote on the album sleeve, and every word is spot on. I really love that last sentence.

"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I got tickets for Seattle yesterday & bought the cd. CD is really good! A pleasant surprise.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Could have sworn I posted this yesterday. Oh well.

Check out this live, well mixed song. It's an album cut from the great 70's band War.

By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I've been listening to some fantastic tapes from California. Evidently the band is taper friendly. The sets are changing every night & the band is locked in a really awesome groove. The Rich Robinson/Marc Ford guitar things is pretty magical. I couldn't help thinking about the Allmans with Duane & Dickie. Lofty comparison but not out of line. Looking forward to seeing them next week.

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

saw them a few weeks ago in Atlanta, go see them if you get the chance, you won't be disappointed.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

chuckrh wrote:I've been listening to some fantastic tapes from California. Evidently the band is taper friendly.
Fairly certain Crowes and every Crowes offshoot have been/are all taper friendly
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
chuckrh wrote:I've been listening to some fantastic tapes from California. Evidently the band is taper friendly.
Fairly certain Crowes and every Crowes offshoot have been/are all taper friendly
We're lucky that Rich Robinson got custody of the sacred Humble Pie 8 track when the Crowes broke up whilst Chris went in a more unfortunate direction... ;)