Rolling Stones opinion needed regarding Mick Taylor....

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

DiamondDave

Rolling Stones opinion needed regarding Mick Taylor....

Post by DiamondDave »

Alright....here I go..Other than the four from Liverpool,..I'm a Stones fan. big Keef fan most of all. But, also a huge Mick Taylor fan. Revisited this clip tonight, and it for some reason struck me that early on and up until a certain point Mick dismissive towards Taylor....like if you want it...take it.....around 6:00 or so it seems that Mick finally forces himself into the mix. Golden after this moment...just builds and builds.

"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

chuckrh

Re: Rolling Stones opinion needed regarding Mick Taylor....

Post by chuckrh »

I saw the 50 & Counting tour in Vegas 2012. I've seen the Stones over 20 times & had never seen them with Mick Taylor. I'm old but not that old, haha. I was very excited for it. & Taylor delivered on "Midnight Rambler" in spades! Was hugely disappointed they only let him play the one song. I'm not counting the decorator guitar on "Satisfaction". Truth be told, the rest of the concert was disappointing. That tour was mostly a lost opportunity with the exception of Glastonbury. I'm a lifelong Stones fan & I have pretty much given up on them as a live entity. The set lists continue to shrink & are for the most part the same every show. Keith is a shadow of himself & Mick has taken over. I miss Bobby Keyes a real lot, too. There was another lost opportunity at that Vegas show. They were bringing out guests every show & BB King was at home in Vegas at the time of the show. Instead, we got Katy Perry. While I don't mind her music, it was not a good choice. Now BB is gone. All that being said, I am really enjoying the new blues record. I wish they would give up on the pop/rock star thing & continue in that vein. I don't think Mick's Peter Pan fixation will allow it though. Most likely, if they play more live, it will be the same thing, only much slower every time out.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Mick Taylor is by a very wide margin the best guitar player to ever play with the Stones. I saw him sit in with The Dead in NYC in 1988 and he was amazing.
Keep calm and have a cigar

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

sactochris wrote:Mick Taylor is by a very wide margin the best guitar player to ever play with the Stones. I saw him sit in with The Dead in NYC in 1988 and he was amazing.
Do tell!! I am a big Dead and Taylor fan. Sticky Fingers my fav Stones LP.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

blackwll wrote:
sactochris wrote:Mick Taylor is by a very wide margin the best guitar player to ever play with the Stones. I saw him sit in with The Dead in NYC in 1988 and he was amazing.

He came out unannounced, on Sep 24th 1988, at The Dead's Rain Forrest benefit concert. at Madison Square Garden in NYC. He sat in on the Dead's own, West LA Fadeaway, and the Willie Dixon blues classic, Little Red Rooster. There are excellent quality videos of it floating around online. Check it out. You wont be disappointed.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

sactochris wrote:He came out unannounced, on Sep 24th 1988, at The Dead's Rain Forrest benefit concert. at Madison Square Garden in NYC. He sat in on the Dead's own, West LA Fadeaway, and the Willie Dixon blues classic, Little Red Rooster. There are excellent quality videos of it floating around online. Check it out. You wont be disappointed.
Finish the story, tell them who the other guests were that night ;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
sactochris wrote:He came out unannounced, on Sep 24th 1988, at The Dead's Rain Forrest benefit concert. at Madison Square Garden in NYC. He sat in on the Dead's own, West LA Fadeaway, and the Willie Dixon blues classic, Little Red Rooster. There are excellent quality videos of it floating around online. Check it out. You wont be disappointed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAd23A8wdYk - Set 1 w/ Mick Taylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5wZHikee7M - Set 2 has quite the guest list

whatwouldcooleydo?

blackwll wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAd23A8wdYk - Set 1 w/ Mick Taylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5wZHikee7M - Set 2 has quite the guest list
I did the 4 nights of Landover that started that September 88 tour but was unable to go on to Philadelphia or NYC. However, they came back around southward in mid-October and I was able to go to St. Petersburg, which did not suck.... not one bit :lol:

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Mick Taylor sitting in with Little Feat at the Rainbow Theatre in London from 1977.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Mick Taylor sitting in with Little Feat at the Rainbow Theatre in London from 1977.

much better than the hateful fred! :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I saw the last five nights of the 88 MSG nine show run. It was my first time in NYC and it was magical. I spent the first four night at the Chelsea Hotel in the room Dylan wrote Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands in. I spent the last two in a duplex right on Gramercy park. On the night that I was there that there wasn't a Dead show I saw the Tom Tom Club at CBGB. The trip was truly magical. The Chelsea was still seedy as hell at that point. I hadn't even gotten checked in yet before a transvestite gave me her room number. It was just like a Lou Reed song, which was exactly what I was expecting

whatwouldcooleydo?

absolutely love the manic electric version of Masters of War with Mick Taylor on the Real Live album (this isn't the version on the album but from the same tour)

whatwouldcooleydo?

sactochris wrote:
blackwll wrote:

He came out unannounced, on Sep 24th 1988, at The Dead's Rain Forrest benefit concert. at Madison Square Garden in NYC. He sat in on the Dead's own, West LA Fadeaway, and the Willie Dixon blues classic, Little Red Rooster. There are excellent quality videos of it floating around online. Check it out. You wont be disappointed.

Jerry rockin' his classic 88 haircut that we called the "Ben Franklin" :D