protest/political songs (who, what, when, why, how?)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Swamp

protest/political songs (who, what, when, why, how?)

Post by Swamp »

Didn't know if this thread was here already but given the political climate lately I thought it would be interesting.
One Tin Soldier has always been my favorite.
I also really dug Neil Youngs Living With War album.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: protest/political songs (who, what, when, why, how?)

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I dig the old school stuff like Joe Hill (too bad there are no recordings of him), of course Woody Guthrie, and lots of the labor music from early 20th century. this one is excellent

Smithsonian Folkways has a series of "classics," I recommend both the Classic Labor Songs and Classic Protest Songs
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

Here's a nice one that many will remember from not so long ago

Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wow this is kind of a large topic.

Protest music didn't start w/ Woody Guthrie, but he's the start of it for me, the first protest singer I recognized as such and who I could identify as a writer and singer of protest songs (as opposed to "traditional"). "This Land is Your Land" is notable because at least some (many? most?) people don't recognize that it is a protest song.

Dylan of course. "Blowin' in the Wind," "Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll," "Ballad of Emmitt Till," "Hurricane," "The Times They Are a Changin'" and on and on.

Phil Ochs seems to be well-remembered by those who were there at the time but forgotten by everyone else. "Outside of Small Circle of Friends" and "I Aint Marching Anymore" were a couple of his more popular songs when I was growing up.

Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come" is classic. "I'm Black and I'm Proud" by James Brown measures how much difference a decade or so can make. Marvin Gaye's What's Going On was the bridge to Sly Stone's There's A Riot Going On which tells the tale of dashed hopes, later picked up and taken in several directions by Public Enemy and others. Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" may be the greatest of all the civil rights protest songs. Gives me chills every time I hear it.

The Vietnam War sparked a ton of anti-war protest songs. Just a few: "Wooden Ships" by Jefferson Airplane (and CSNY), "Feel Like I'm Fixing to Die Rag" by Country Joe & the Fish, "Ohio" by CSNY, "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire, "Bring the Boys Home" by Freeda Payne, "Fortunate Son" and "Who'll Stop the Rain" by CCR, "Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie, "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye, several by John Lennon including "Give Peace a Chance" and "War is Over," "War" by Edwin Starr. Springsteen came later w/ several including "Born in the USA" (another one that confused at least some people like Ronald Reagan).

Tom Lehrer's 2 albums brilliantly mixed political protest, humor and music. The fact that he was an MIT math professor just made the whole thing that much more "so Sixties." Simon & Garfunkel's "Silent Night/7 O'Clock News" was an interesting attempt at a more general sense of outrage at the world (as opposed to the war or civil rights specifically).

The Ramones suddenly went political for "Bonzo Went to Bitburg." I'm not sure about this but I think at least one of the band members was the child of Holocaust survivors.

Other than "Joe Hill" I'm not really up on the labor stuff but second WWCD's recommendation of the Smithsonian as a great source.

Phew. I think that's more than enough for now.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The sound quality is less than pristine but the performance is a prime example of R.E.M. firing on all cylinders as a live band circa '89.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Todd Snider's Peace Queer EP and parts of The Devil You Know

Neil's Living with War and maybe Monsanto Years, I haven't listened to the latter.

Johnny Cash has a ton.

Kris Kristofferson's Third World Warrior; it's one of my favorites, extremely maligned and forgotten.

Willie Nelson - parts of Across the Borderline and scattered songs throughout his career

Steve Earle's The Revolution Starts Now and to a lesser extent Jerusalem; scattered songs throughout his discography, on every album.

Mere Haggard's Chicago Wind album (some tracks, anyway) is a hell of an evolution from "Okie from Muskogee" and "The Fighting Side of Me"

Bruce Springsteen Ghost of Tom Joad

and the greatest protest song so far this century, "We Can't Make It Here Anymore" (and "Cheney's Toy" and his new one, "Remembrance")

And a quarter of DBT's output

Patterson's "After It's Gone"
Last edited by Smitty on Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

What's going on - (Marvin Gaye, but this version by Donny Hathaway is the ultimate imho)

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

paulc

Post by paulc »

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

RolanK wrote:What's going on - (Marvin Gaye, but this version by Donny Hathaway is the ultimate imho)

Right on RK. If ya'll don't know Donny Hathaway, start with Everything is Everything. So amazingly good - one that will stay with you forever. "The Ghetto"....wow.
Last edited by ramonz on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Man, that is some intense stuff. Thanks for sharing linkous. I am named after Robert Emmet (my first and middle name). Legend has it he was the last man drawn and quartered by the Brits. I am fascinated with the stories those two songs recall, but I must admit, I haven't been able to spend the time required to fully understand all the nuances (if there are any!) of what's gone on and what's to come. But one day I will. Is there a particularly good book as a place to start? Thanks.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

ramonz wrote:
RolanK wrote:What's going on - (Marvin Gaye, but this version by Donny Hathaway is the ultimate imho)

Right on RK. If ya'll don't know Donny Hathaway, start with Everything is Everything. So amazingly good - one that will stay with you forever. "The Ghetto"....wow.
Indeed. I only "discovered" him a couple of years back. That live album is on my top five live albums list.

On the topic of protest songs:
Meat is Murder - The Smiths (I never became a vegetarian though)
Strange Fruit
Mississippi Goddamn - Nina Simone
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ramonz wrote:
Man, that is some intense stuff. Thanks for sharing linkous. I am named after Robert Emmet (my first and middle name). Legend has it he was the last man drawn and quartered by the Brits. I am fascinated with the stories those two songs recall, but I must admit, I haven't been able to spend the time required to fully understand all the nuances (if there are any!) of what's gone on and what's to come. But one day I will. Is there a particularly good book as a place to start? Thanks.
I am also well behind where I'd like to be on the history, but for a fascinating glimpse at "real life" during The Troubles, check out Adrian McKinty's Detective Sean Duffy trilogy (sometimes known as The Troubles Trilogy). Great crime fiction, but really just great fiction which paints an incredible picture of the times. This might be a good time to mention that my wife is descended from Daniel O'Connell, Ireland's "Great Liberator" for whom O'Connell Street in Dublin is named.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

beantownbubba wrote:Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come" is classic. "I'm Black and I'm Proud" by James Brown measures how much difference a decade or so can make..
It was less than 4 years between the release of Sam Cooke's song (December 1964) and the release of the James Brown song (August 1968)...a good indicator of how fast things moved in the 1960s.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bill in CT wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come" is classic. "I'm Black and I'm Proud" by James Brown measures how much difference a decade or so can make..
It was less than 4 years between the release of Sam Cooke's song (December 1964) and the release of the James Brown song (August 1968)...a good indicator of how fast things moved in the 1960s.
Huh. I didn't literally mean 10 years (I probably would have guessed 6 or 7) but I didn't think it was as few as 4, either. You're right.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Lots and lots by Billy Bragg, from the clever and subtle to the angry and vitriolic. Here's a good 'un:

And good call on "Strange Fruit." A powerful tune, and even more so with Billy Holiday's version and the backstory.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Lot of stuff I hadn't thought about in a while. Dylan's "Hurricane" has been my favorite Dylan since I first heard it.
Now I'ved been inspired to take the Dexateens off the turntable ( for a while anyways ) and put on Desire and then
follow it up with the best of Johnny Horton. Maybe not politcal but definatly patriotic.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Dylan - "Masters of War"
Donovan - "Universal Soldier"
Buffalo Springfield - "For What it's Worth"

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

beantownbubba wrote:
ramonz wrote:
I am also well behind where I'd like to be on the history, but for a fascinating glimpse at "real life" during The Troubles, check out Adrian McKinty's Detective Sean Duffy trilogy (sometimes known as The Troubles Trilogy). Great crime fiction, but really just great fiction which paints an incredible picture of the times. This might be a good time to mention that my wife is descended from Daniel O'Connell, Ireland's "Great Liberator" for whom O'Connell Street in Dublin is named.
Thanks Bubba, will check that out.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Will Trump Bring Back Protest Music? Common, Drive-By Truckers & Others Weigh In

Donald Trump during an election night rally on Nov. 9, 2016 in New York City.
AP Photo/ Evan Vucci

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Malvina Reynolds. Holly Near.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

one belt loop wrote:Holly Near.
Her records don't kill me, but her stuff is awesome live.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Save the Whales!!
"Tell me what kind of men are these.........