Albums of the year 2016.

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

linkous

Albums of the year 2016.

Post by linkous »

Ok, its only mid November but I got the new issues of Mojo and Uncut today, and both have their album of the year lists.

So I'll start the ball rolling and list their top 10's.

Uncut.

1. Bowie - Blackstar.
2. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool.
3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree.
4. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker.
5. Ryley Walker - Golden Sings That Have Been Sung.
6. PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project.
7. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide To Earth.
8. Anohni - Hopelessness.
9. Teenage Fanclub - Here.
10.Beyonce - Lemonade.

Mojo

1. Bowie - Blackstar.
2. Michael Kiwanuka - Love & Hate.
3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree.
4. Lambchop - FLOTUS.
5. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker.
6. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression.
7. Frank Ocean - Blonde.
8. Paul Simon - Stranger To Stranger.
9. PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project.
10.Heron Oblivion - Heron Oblivion.

Kudzu will probaly post that it's far too early for these lists (and he may well be right), but it is what it is and these lists are now out there.
The problem for these mags is that their lists were probably made up late Oct/early Nov so they could be published in time. This means that albums like the new one from A Tribe Called Quest (my current No 1) are omitted, and I'm sure there may well be some others before the end of the year.

DBT was no 13 in the Uncut list, and unbelievably was nowhere to be seen in Mojo's top 50, and didnt even make their Americana top 10. Still we can console ourselves that Michael Kiwanuka and Paul Simon both made albums worthy of top 10 status this year :o

beantownbubba

Re: Albums of the year 2016.

Post by beantownbubba »

linkous wrote:DBT was no 13 in the Uncut list, and unbelievably was nowhere to be seen in Mojo's top 50, and didnt even make their Americana top 10.
Yeah, I'd have to say that's unbelievable.

Damn, I didn't even know teenage fanclub had an album out this year :(
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Phildelphia-based magazine Decibel has put out their list of the top 40 albums of 2016:

40. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation
39. Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire
38. Venomous Concept - Kick Me Silly VC III
37. Aluk Todolo - Voix
36. Inverloch - Distance | Collapsed
35. Eerie - Eerie
34. Sumac - What One Becomes
33. Child Bite - Negative Noise
32. Inquisition - Bloodshed Across the Empyrean Altar Beyond the Celestial Zenith
31. Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas - Mariner
30. Graves at Sea - The Curse that Is
29. Chthe’ilist - Le Dernier Crépuscule
28. Phobocosm - Bringer of Drought
27. Testament - Brotherhood of the Snake
26. SubRosa - For this We Fought the Battle of Ages
25. Bölzer - Hero
24. Neurosis - Fires Within Fires
23. Mizmor - Yodh
22. Wretch - Wretch
21. Virus - Memento Collider
20. Oathbreaker - Rheia
19. Ghoul - Dungeon Bastards
18. Diamond Head - Diamond Head
17. Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
16. Destroyer 666 - Wildfire
15. Crowbar - The Serpent Only Lies
14. Funeral Moth - Transience
13. Blood Ceremony - Lord of Misrule
12. Asphyx - Incoming Death
11. Trap Them - Crown Feral
10. Cobalt - Slow Forever
9. Gorguts - Pleiades Dust
8. Hammers of Misfortune - Dead Revolution
7. Inter Arma - Paradise Gallows
6. Gehennah - Too Loud to Live, Too Drunk to Die
5. Abbath - Abbath
4. Oranssi Pazuzu - Värähtelijä
3. Blood Incantation - Starspawn
2. Nails - You Will Never Be One of Us
1. Khemmis - Hunted
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

This is impossible to do right now. Not only was it an amazing year for music that will require a lot of time to process/rank, but there are half a dozen albums that I haven't had enough time with (Tribe, Metallica, Jim James) or haven't even come out yet (Ryan Adams, Hamilton Mixtape).

I also thought Black Star came out last year for some reason
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

1. American Band
2. Schmilco
3. You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing to Go Back to
4. Rest in Chaos
5. Real

I still gotta spend more time w/FLOTUS
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Hiss Golden Messenger - Heart Like A Levee
Lambchop - FLOTUS
Ryley Walker - Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
The Dead Tongues - Montana
Cass McCombs - Mangy Love
Bon Iver - 22, A Million
Tortoise - The Catastrophist
Kevin Morby - Singing Saw
Hallelujah The Hills - A Band Is Something To Figure Out
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
William Tyler - Modern Country
Steve Gunn - Eyes on the Lines
Thee Oh Sees - A Weird Exits
Wilco - Schmilco
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

WarHenRecords wrote:Hiss Golden Messenger - Heart Like A Levee
Lambchop - FLOTUS
Bon Iver - 22, A Million
Wilco - Schmilco
I believe you are the first one I've seen mention The Dead Tongues (Ryan Gustafson) here. Montana is my favorite thing he's released since his debut album called Donkey LP. He's presently working with Molly Sarle of Mountain Man on her first record. Hopefully, that will be out next year sometime.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Lambchop - FLOTUS
Bon Iver - 22, A Million
Wilco - Schmilco
I believe you are the first one I've seen mention The Dead Tongues (Ryan Gustafson) here. Montana is my favorite thing he's released since his debut album called Donkey LP. He's presently working with Molly Sarle of Mountain Man on her first record. Hopefully, that will be out next year sometime.
Just saw Ry play 10 shows while I was on the crew for Hiss Golden Messenger tour this fall.
He is incredible and a very kind soul.
Montana is the best record no one has heard. Hoping people start to get hip.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

WarHenRecords wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Lambchop - FLOTUS
Bon Iver - 22, A Million
Wilco - Schmilco
Just saw Ry play 10 shows while I was on the crew for Hiss Golden Messenger tour this fall.
He is incredible and a very kind soul.
Montana is the best record no one has heard. Hoping people start to get hip.
I first heard of him around 2008-9 or so when the Drug Horse Collective was still going strong. At that time, he was also playing quite frequently with a band called Max Indian (that's since disbanded). After that first solo album, Ryan and Carter Gaj from Max Indian formed an avant garde electronica / ambient outfit called Nude Hues. I've been glad to see him get back into his rootsy side in more recent years.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

nice to see Car Seat Headrest getting some serious love at #4 :D
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Very nice to see.

This is going to be a tough year for me. I' think I know my top 5 in DBT, Dexateens, Caleb Caudle, Dinosaur Jr. and The I Don't Cares but after that the order is in question and then there's a lot of decent stuff but nothing earth shattering. Last year I had 30 records that could have been top 10, this year isn't even close.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

not sure what (if anything) it says about me: I have 16 of the 50
Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

So far...

1. Lydia Loveless - Real. DBT had taken this spot for awhile, but I've come back to thinking this is basically a masterpiece with only one even psuedo-misstep (Heaven)
2. Drive-By Truckers - American Band. This rips hard. DBT back in form, excellent lyrically. I can get bored with a couple Patterson tracks, but they've all worked for me at various points.
3. Dexateens - Teenage Hallelujah. This makes me want to do bad/dirty things. Isn't that what good rock and roll is about?
4. Wheeler Walker Jr. - Redneck Shit. This is legitimately the best country album of the year. I'm completely serious.
5. Jack Ingram - Midnight Motel. This is legitimately the 2nd best country album of the year. Really well written songs, with entertaining rambling between them, often telling the stories behind the songs.
6. Hiss Golden Messenger - Heart Like a Levee. Title track might be the song of the year.
7. Okey Dokey - Natty Chile. Absolutely no new ground is broken. Who gives a shit when it sounds this good?
8. Austin Lucas - Between the Moon & the Midwest. A sonically sprawling, guest-star laden concept album about the singer's divorce that weaves between shit-kicking country rock and stuff that makes Isbell seem light hearted.
9. Eastside Bulldog - Todd Snider. Hilarious, tossed off, and balls out rocking. The world needs more of this.
10. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth. While it drags in spots, the highest are that of the genre-defying mind-blowing variety. Few albums sound like this.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Early thoughts....

Bowie, A Tribe Called Quest, Lambchop, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Sublime

DBT, Chance The Rapper, Danny Brown, Frank Ocean - Close but no cigar

Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Thee Oh Sees, Iggy Pop, The I Dont Cares, Bob Mould - Pleasantly surprised, never saw that coming

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Will need a bit of time to come up with a best of list but the most disappointing album of the year has to be

The Low Anthem - Eyeland

I've listened to it half a dozen times and I still have no idea what the hell they were trying to do on this.

I'm also surprised by how many year end lists don't have a place for PJ Harvey's Hope Six Demolition Project - looking at you Consequence of Sound and Rough Trade
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

walthers

Post by walthers »

Iowan wrote:So far...

1. Lydia Loveless - Real. DBT had taken this spot for awhile, but I've come back to thinking this is basically a masterpiece with only one even psuedo-misstep (Heaven)
2. Drive-By Truckers - American Band. This rips hard. DBT back in form, excellent lyrically. I can get bored with a couple Patterson tracks, but they've all worked for me at various points.
3. Dexateens - Teenage Hallelujah. This makes me want to do bad/dirty things. Isn't that what good rock and roll is about?
4. Wheeler Walker Jr. - Redneck Shit. This is legitimately the best country album of the year. I'm completely serious.
5. Jack Ingram - Midnight Motel. This is legitimately the 2nd best country album of the year. Really well written songs, with entertaining rambling between them, often telling the stories behind the songs.
6. Hiss Golden Messenger - Heart Like a Levee. Title track might be the song of the year.
7. Okey Dokey - Natty Chile. Absolutely no new ground is broken. Who gives a shit when it sounds this good?
8. Austin Lucas - Between the Moon & the Midwest. A sonically sprawling, guest-star laden concept album about the singer's divorce that weaves between shit-kicking country rock and stuff that makes Isbell seem light hearted.
9. Eastside Bulldog - Todd Snider. Hilarious, tossed off, and balls out rocking. The world needs more of this.
10. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth. While it drags in spots, the highest are that of the genre-defying mind-blowing variety. Few albums sound like this.
I like this list. I was really into four of the albums before I even looked at what you had written down. I have since been digging through these albums and of like them all except for Wheeler Walker. That one's a bit out there for sure it kind of reminds me of something that should be" does humor belong in music" thread. I don't know maybe he's not joking but it is pretty offf the wall.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

walthers wrote:

I like this list. I was really into four of the albums before I even looked at what you had written down. I have since been digging through these albums and of like them all except for Wheeler Walker. That one's a bit out there for sure it kind of reminds me of something that should be" does humor belong in music" thread. I don't know maybe he's not joking but it is pretty offf the wall.
He's joking, but he's not at the same time. The guy loves country music, and the playing is 100% serious. The character behind the singer is comedy, but a lot of the songs are just barely at that level. "Fuck You Bitch" and "Better Beatin' Off" sound like serious classic country other than the profanity in the chorus. The message and themes are ones that are pillars of the genre.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

My faves of year

Tier 1
DBT - American Band
Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth
Wilco - Schmilco
Ty Segall - Emotional Mugger
Dexateens - Teenage Hallelujah

Tier 2
Honey Radar - Blank Cartoon
Caleb Caudle - Carolina Ghost
Charles Bradley - Changes
Peter Wolf - A Cure for Loneliness
Lambchop - FLOTUS
Wussy - Forever Sounds
Parquet Courts - Human Performance
Jesu/Sun Kil Moon
Margo Price - Midwest Farmer's Daughter
M. Ward - More Rain
Angel Olsen - My Woman
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
Natural Child - Okey Dokey
The Jayhawks - Paging Mr. Proust
Hard Working Americans - Rest in Chaos
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
Michael McDermott - Willow Springs

walthers

Post by walthers »

Iowan wrote:
walthers wrote:

He's joking, but he's not at the same time. The guy loves country music, and the playing is 100% serious. The character behind the singer is comedy, but a lot of the songs are just barely at that level. "Fuck You Bitch" and "Better Beatin' Off" sound like serious classic country other than the profanity in the chorus. The message and themes are ones that are pillars of the genre.
I get it, it was just a little surprising once I turned it on. I did some research on him and see that he is a comedian. I agree the music is country for sure, sounds great, kind of makes me think of country meeting 2 Live Crew! :D

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Maybe I'll revise this as we get closer to the end of the year but here's a top 10 for now:

1. DBT- American Band
2. Dexateens- Teenage Hallelujah
3. Sturgill Simpson- A Sailor's Guide To Earth
4. Caleb Caudle- Carolina Ghost
5. Richmond Fontaine- You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing to Go Back to
6. Two Cow Garage- Brand New Flag
7. The I Don't Cares- Wild Stab
8. Hard Working Americans- Rest In Chaos
9. Dinosaur Jr.- Give a Glimpse of What You're Not
10. Lydia Loveless- Real

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

HWA is just outside my Top 10; could swap it for Bulldog on the right day.

"Teens of Denial" by Car Seat Headrest could move into my Top 10. I'm pretty stuck on it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

One thing I'll add is that I had not given all that many listens to TCG- Brand New Flag until this week and now I can't stop listening. I'm absolutely blown away by it and I don't think there's any question that it's their best album to date. Given enough time it could end up as high as #2 on this list. It's a stunning record.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:One thing I'll add is that I had not given all that many listens to TCG- Brand New Flag until this week and now I can't stop listening. I'm absolutely blown away by it and I don't think there's any question that it's their best album to date. Given enough time it could end up as high as #2 on this list. It's a stunning record.
I saw that in your list and didn't even realize they had something out this year. I'll hopefully check it out later today.

Clams

Post by Clams »

All these Best Of lists that are floating around the internets have me checking out lots of records I missed during the year. I just discovered the Margo Price record a few days a week and I'm 100% hooked on her. Currently listening to Car Seat Headrest with the volume cranked and really liking it (though I doubt I'm cool enough for it).
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:All these Best Of lists that are floating around the internets have me checking out lots of records I missed during the year. I just discovered the Margo Price record a few days a week and I'm 100% hooked on her. Currently listening to Car Seat Headrest with the volume cranked and really liking it (though I doubt I'm cool enough for it).
I've tried to work my way through some of the constant top 10's (Solange, Beyonce, etc.) and just can't get into them. I respect the hell out of what they do, but it hasn't clicked. I loved Frank Ocean's last album, but can't get into this one.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats has weighed in on his favorite music (and podcasts and radio) of 2016:

JOHN DARNIELLE, THE MOUNTAIN GOATS — BEST OF 2016
top ten 2016, ranked:
Moon Tooth, Chromaparagon
James Ferraro, Human Story 3
King, We Are King
Defiled, Towards Inevitable Ruin
A Tribe Called Quest, We Got It From Here…Thank You 4 Your Service…
Robert Rich, What We Left Behind
Autechre, Elseq
Mithras, On Strange Loops
Robin Trower, Where Are You Going To
Church of Misery, And Then There Were None

bonus five, unranked, any of these could have made the top 10 on a given day:
Chris Forsyth, The Rarity of Experience
Matthewdavid’s Mindflight, Trust the Guide and Glide
Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool
Ulcerate, Shrines of Paralysis
Cough, Still They Pray

honorable mentions not to be missed:
Skuggja, A Piece for Mind and Mirror
Exmortus, Ride Forth
Cadaveric Fumes, Dimensions Obscure
SVLFVR, Shamanic Lunar Cult

podcasts:
Ultima Thule
Resident Advisor
Sword and Scale
Pseudopod
Welcome to Night Vale

daily listening absolutely as essential as everything on the above list:
LOCAL FUCKING RADIO thank you WXDU WXYC WNCU and WCPE for being there for me every single day
WFMU.org, vital every day of the week, special mention to DJ Micah’s Music of Mind Control, the absolute best
Hearts of Space, a electronic & space-music radio show now available streaming (hos.com) & on a subscription model that gives access to decades of archives. I first heard it in the 80s & I’m subscriber: utterly essential, timeless, useful, healing, transporting music, a program richly deserving of support, dude was representing ambient music way before it got any shine from anybody
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:All these Best Of lists that are floating around the internets have me checking out lots of records I missed during the year. I just discovered the Margo Price record a few days a week and I'm 100% hooked on her. Currently listening to Car Seat Headrest with the volume cranked and really liking it (though I doubt I'm cool enough for it).
The last time I was as instantly obsessed with a song as I am with "Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales" was the first time I heard "Marry Me".

Teens of Denial is in my Top 10.

The BJ Barham solo album is really good too.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Iowan wrote:
The last time I was as instantly obsessed with a song as I am with "Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales" was the first time I heard "Marry Me".

American Aquarium's last album kinda missed the mark for me so I haven't even listened to the solo project. I should check it out.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:
Iowan wrote:

American Aquarium's last album kinda missed the mark for me so I haven't even listened to the solo project. I should check it out.
I feel the same way about Wolves.

I keep coming back to it, as it took a long time for burn.flicker.die to connect for me, but it still hasn't clicked. I prefer the solo project. It has a couple AA rehashes, but they work well and the new stuff is very good.