Albums of the year 2016.

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Albums of the year 2016.

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Funny. Wolves is my favorite American Aquarium record and it's not close. I'll have to check out the solo record.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Maybe I'll revise this as we get closer to the end of the year but here's a top 10 for now:

1. DBT- American Band
2. Dexateens- Teenage Hallelujah
3. Sturgill Simpson- A Sailor's Guide To Earth
4. Caleb Caudle- Carolina Ghost
5. Richmond Fontaine- You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing to Go Back to
6. Two Cow Garage- Brand New Flag
7. The I Don't Cares- Wild Stab
8. Hard Working Americans- Rest In Chaos
9. Dinosaur Jr.- Give a Glimpse of What You're Not
10. Lydia Loveless- Real
Nice. If you do an expanded format, would you consider adding Alejandro Escovedo's Burn Something Beautiful?

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I finally got around to listening to Burn Something Beautiful. It's great.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

StevieRay wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Maybe I'll revise this as we get closer to the end of the year but here's a top 10 for now:

1. DBT- American Band
2. Dexateens- Teenage Hallelujah
3. Sturgill Simpson- A Sailor's Guide To Earth
4. Caleb Caudle- Carolina Ghost
5. Richmond Fontaine- You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing to Go Back to
6. Two Cow Garage- Brand New Flag
7. The I Don't Cares- Wild Stab
8. Hard Working Americans- Rest In Chaos
9. Dinosaur Jr.- Give a Glimpse of What You're Not
10. Lydia Loveless- Real
Nice. If you do an expanded format, would you consider adding Alejandro Escovedo's Burn Something Beautiful?
I like it a lot actually. Just haven't given it enough listens. I did hear n vinyl it at the jonicont residence through his amazing system and it kicked ass.

Clams

Post by Clams »

emandrisdad wrote:I finally got around to listening to Burn Something Beautiful. It's great.
Agree
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Funny. Wolves is my favorite American Aquarium record and it's not close. I'll have to check out the solo record.
That's not an unusual sentiment. I think it's a little too tightly crafted for me. Maybe.

BJ's solo record just lands for whatever reason.

Clams

Post by Clams »

A typically eclectic Best Of list from Aquarium Drunkard

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2016/12 ... in-review/

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Clams wrote:A typically eclectic Best Of list from Aquarium Drunkard

Best one I've seen yet.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Clams

Post by Clams »

WarHenRecords wrote:
Clams wrote:A typically eclectic Best Of list from Aquarium Drunkard

Best one I've seen yet.
Agree. Not only had me going back to some records I haven't seen on any other lists (Steve Gunn, William Tyler) but the AD descriptions get you hearing them in new ways.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

That list was snootier than NPR's :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:So far...

1. Lydia Loveless - Real. DBT had taken this spot for awhile, but I've come back to thinking this is basically a masterpiece with only one even psuedo-misstep (Heaven)
2. Drive-By Truckers - American Band. This rips hard. DBT back in form, excellent lyrically. I can get bored with a couple Patterson tracks, but they've all worked for me at various points.
3. Dexateens - Teenage Hallelujah. This makes me want to do bad/dirty things. Isn't that what good rock and roll is about?
4. Wheeler Walker Jr. - Redneck Shit. This is legitimately the best country album of the year. I'm completely serious.
5. Jack Ingram - Midnight Motel. This is legitimately the 2nd best country album of the year. Really well written songs, with entertaining rambling between them, often telling the stories behind the songs.
6. Hiss Golden Messenger - Heart Like a Levee. Title track might be the song of the year.
7. Okey Dokey - Natty Chile. Absolutely no new ground is broken. Who gives a shit when it sounds this good?
8. Austin Lucas - Between the Moon & the Midwest. A sonically sprawling, guest-star laden concept album about the singer's divorce that weaves between shit-kicking country rock and stuff that makes Isbell seem light hearted.
9. Eastside Bulldog - Todd Snider. Hilarious, tossed off, and balls out rocking. The world needs more of this.
10. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth. While it drags in spots, the highest are that of the genre-defying mind-blowing variety. Few albums sound like this.
Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial is in.

Eastside Bulldog is HM.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

The ones that come immediately to mind are shown below, the Steve Gunn would probably be number 1 if you asked me to rank them

Steve Gunn - Eyes on the Line
PJ Harvey - Hope six demolition project
Jim James - Eternally Even
King Creosote and Michael Johnson - Bound of the Red Deer
Hiss Golden Messenger - Heart like a levee
Drive by Truckers- American Band
Steve Mason - Meet the humans
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton tree
Case/Lang/Veirs - S/T
Wilco - Schmilco
King Cresosote - Astronaut meets Appleman
William Tyler - Modern Country
Sturgill - A Sailors Guide ...

I picked up a few things at the weekend that I need to listen to (Karl Blau, Julia Jacklin)

Favourite reissues:

Game Theory - Big Shot Chronicles
Various Artists - Nigeria 70
Sun Ra - Singles
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Zip City wrote:That list was snootier than NPR's :lol:
not enough mainstream rap for you?

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

I put my top 20 (plus more!) list up over here: http://jeremyetc.com/2016/12/13/the-top ... t-i-guess/

Also Slant's top 25 albums and singles lists, both of which I contributed to, are below:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/features/a ... ms-of-2016
http://www.slantmagazine.com/features/a ... es-of-2016

I'm not gonna bother trying to defend Britney Spears claiming the #10 spot. What are you gonna do.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Zip City wrote:That list was snootier than NPR's :lol:
not enough mainstream rap for you?
What a weird comment

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I listened to less music in 2016 than in any year since I bought my first single and most of that was in the last 2 weeks as I’ve made an attempt to catch up a little bit. That says a lot about me and nothing about what’s on offer, because it seems like there’s plenty of good to great music out there. Since I haven’t listened to nearly enough music to have a legit top 10 (to say nothing of 40), here’s an overview of pretty much every record I listened to in 2016. The ratings are intended as a general indication of quality, or maybe an attempt to fit these albums into a mythical typical year.

The most obviously notable thing about 2016 is that not only did so many great musicians die, but there were an unusually large number of albums about or influenced greatly by death. INPO after the first 3 “death albums.”

Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker. Cohen grapples with death with the same unflinching honesty with which he has always examined love, relationships and other difficult topics. Typically excellent. Top 5ish.
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Skeleton Tree. I’m kind of proud of myself for actually getting up the courage to listen to this once, but I also have to say that I am unlikely to ever listen to it again; actually I find it hard to believe that anyone would voluntarily choose to play this. But the quality and depth of the music is undeniable. Special category: Top 5ish as long as one doesn’t listen to it.
David Bowie – Blackstar. Bowie being Bowie until the end. That’s a compliment. Top 10 for how much I like it, top 3 for how much I appreciate his continuing explorations and pushing of boundaries.

Drive-By Truckers – American Band. I remain obsessed by this album and mesmerized by “Once They Banned Imagine.” If standing up to repeated (and I mean repeated!) listenings is the sign of a great album, then this is a great album. Top 3.
A Tribe Called Quest – We Got It From Here… Thank You for Your Service. I don’t claim any real knowledge of or connection to hip hop but great is great and this album is great. Grabbed me from the first note and didn’t let go. Top 3.
Alejandro Escovedo – Burn Something Beautiful. I actually think that he’s hurt by consistently releasing consistently good albums. This is yet another really good album. Especially like the one about NYC and the one that, ummm, samples, “Bang a Gong”. I’d go out of my way to see a double bill of Escovedo w/ Garland Jeffreys. Top 10ish
Teenage Fanclub – Here. A solid outing by an old favorite and a bit of a rebound from the last one I heard (there apparently was also one in between). Top 20ish
Peter Wolf – A Cure for Loneliness. Another long-time favorite delivers another fine effort but it suffers a bit in comparison to previous work. Top 10-15
Michael Kiwanuke – Love & Hate. I guess I sort of understand the fuss, but this just didn’t move me. Top 30ish
Lambchop – FLOTUS. I think this is a first for me: I’m not sure whether I love or hate this album. I do know that it’s not anything in the middle, lol. I’m not sure I’ll listen to it enough to actually decide. Let’s compromise at top 20.
Paul Simon – Stranger to Stranger. Meh. “Wristband” is undeniably funny. Edge of or maybe just south of top 40.
Lydia Loveless – Real. I like this a lot. I just don’t like it as much as the last one. Top 10-15.
Frightened Rabbit – Painting of a Panic Attack. Ummm, let’s just say that this did nothing for me. South of top 40.

The Marcus King Band – s/t. Uh huh. Soul music meets southern rock and both are better for it. That voice! Nice guest spot by Derek Trucks. I bet there’s some hard-won wisdom behind “Guitar in my Hands.” My guess is that this guy must absolutely kill it live. Top 15ish.
Car Seat Headrest – Teens of Denial. The band is new to me so in that sense easily the best debut of the year. Fresh, engaging, built on the shoulders of giants in the best way, passionate. I could really fall for these guys. Top 5.
Dexateens – Teenage Hallelujah. Another one of way too many musical mysteries: How could they not even be a little bit big? And the bass player’s pretty good. Top 10.
Sturgill Simpson – A Sailor’s Guide to Earth. Really liked the last one, don’t get the fuss about this one. Maybe top 40.
Adele – 25 – Yawn. Virtually unlistenable except it’s so bland that who cares? And I speak as someone who loved the first album and really liked the second. On a popularity to quality ratio easily the worst album of the year.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

beantownbubba wrote: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Skeleton Tree. I’m kind of proud of myself for actually getting up the courage to listen to this once, but I also have to say that I am unlikely to ever listen to it again; actually I find it hard to believe that anyone would voluntarily choose to play this. But the quality and depth of the music is undeniable. Special category: Top 5ish as long as one doesn’t listen to it.
the movie was a beautifully touching companion piece. highly recommended.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

tinnitus photography wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Skeleton Tree. I’m kind of proud of myself for actually getting up the courage to listen to this once, but I also have to say that I am unlikely to ever listen to it again; actually I find it hard to believe that anyone would voluntarily choose to play this. But the quality and depth of the music is undeniable. Special category: Top 5ish as long as one doesn’t listen to it.
the movie was a beautifully touching companion piece. highly recommended.
agree with bubba about finding "it hard to believe that anyone would voluntarily choose to play this." Great album but knowing the context makes listening a really rough ride. Reminds me of the quote Dylan said about people who love Blood on the Tracks: “A lot of people tell me they enjoy that album. It’s hard for me to relate to that. I mean… people enjoying that type of pain, you know?

really wanted to see the film but it played here only one night and the night/time just didn't work for us :(
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

tinnitus photography

it's coming out on DVD next year.

listening to the mp3s now.

linkous

Post by linkous »

On the Nick Cave album

I find it hard to believe that anybody would find it hard to believe "that anyone would voluntarily choose to play this".

I bet Nick Cave is over the moon about this ;)

I find the album strangely uplifting, it's arguably amongst the greatest records he's ever made. Can't wait to hear it in a live setting.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Fast 'n' Bulbous has posted its list of the top albums of 2016. Check the link below if you'd like to read it.

http://fastnbulbous.com/lucky-16/#albums
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

tinnitus photography

i didnt; realize that both Causa Sui and The Drones had new records out this year.

listening to the soundcloud stream of Causa Sui now and it's great.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

tinnitus photography wrote:listening to the soundcloud stream of Causa Sui now and it's great.
yeppers. using groove hammers and astro plainers to hang heavy doors.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm stuck in my annual conundrum of trying to catch up on all the albums before formulating a list, and it's basically hopeless

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Sturgill Simpson – A Sailor’s Guide to Earth. Really liked the last one, don’t get the fuss about this one. Maybe top 40.
I'd put it away for a long time and revisit. I've had a journey with this record. The first time I heard it I was blown away. I wasn't sure exactly what it was I was hearing but the songs were pretty good, the playing extraordinary and the album just flowed nicely. As y'all know about me by now I find sequencing and production often elevate middling songs to the point of creating an extraordinary album. That's what I thought this record was. Then after a few weeks I was bored by it. I felt a sameness about it that didn't warrant anymore listens at that time.

Fast forward to about a month or so ago. I put the record on, gave it some serious volume and listened to the songs and the playing this time instead of the sequencing and production. First off the playing is beyond incredible. Each part means something and works with the whole in a way that very few artists achieve. The guitars weave in and out of the horn and string arrangements in such a way as to leave me almost speechless. It doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before. Country, soul and rock have never blended so seamlessly in such a way to make genre meaningless. Ray Charles best work Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music is probably the closest analogue but that's probably selling both records short. Then come the songs that I first dismissed as middling and now see as something approaching true genius. What I previously saw as a master work of sequencing I now came to see as a master class in songwriting. Welcome to Earth sets it all up as Simpson's ode to his newborn son and every song after builds on that theme including the controversial take on Nirvana's In Bloom . some songs sound like they could have fit nicely on Metamodern Songs like Sea Stories with it's classic country vibe and instrumentation but then you have songs like Keep it Between the Lines that sound like that same concept turned upside down. Throughout all of it is this loose guidebook to his son that even someone like me who never had children can relate to.

The bottom line is that I totally understand not getting the greatness of this record if you haven't let the discovery be a journey and instead saw the record as a destination. It isn't an album that can be easily digested although I would think it would be easily liked by most on first listen. I have always felt that all the best records require work before their greatness becomes evident and this is no exception. So for you Bean, I would suggest forgetting this exists for six month and then put it on in a quiet place, or maybe with headphones and while your surroundings should be quiet the music should played loud. I think then, and maybe only then, the brilliance of a Sailor's Guide To Earth will reveal itself to you.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks TC. Quite eloquent. I'll probably take your advice.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

linkous

Post by linkous »

All the lists you could ever need congregated here

http://www.albumoftheyear.org/lists.php

And the aggregate Albums of the Year here.

http://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/summary/2016/

I think we can all guess the No 1 before we look.

DBT sit proudly at No 40 in this aggregate list. If you look at the 39 records above them I reckon only the Iggy Pop album could be classed as a "rock" album, and he's a solo artist. So by my reckoning DBT made the critics "Rock band Album Of The Year"!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

linkous wrote:All the lists you could ever need congregated here

I guessed wrong

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:

I guessed wrong
What did you guess? Lemonade?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I guessed wrong
What did you guess? Lemonade?
Yep