Artist of the Week 8/9/2010 The Replacements

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Shakespeare

Re: Artist of the Week 8/9/2010 The Replacements

Post by Shakespeare »

agreed. i guess all that was intentional (to make the doc about the fans and not the music) but it was painfully boring for me.

i imagine westerbergs a tough guy to bring on board for a project like this but id love to see a real replacements documentary

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare wrote:agreed. i guess all that was intentional (to make the doc about the fans and not the music) but it was painfully boring for me.

i imagine westerbergs a tough guy to bring on board for a project like this but id love to see a real replacements documentary

No, I wouldn't imagine Westerberg would get on board with anything like that because he does not now, nor has he ever, given a shit. It's part of what makes him one of the greatest songwriters I've heard, and, on the right night, one of the greatest performers I've seen but it's also what ultimately led to the 'Mats self destruction.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I attended a screening of Color Me Obsessed a year or so ago and knew about the approach of the film going in. Yes, it was hard to get used to at first but the more I watched, the more I liked it and understood why Gorman filmed it that way. It sorted reminded me of a long form "Bastards of Young" video. In a Q & A afterwards, he said Patterson was originally intended to be one of the commentators but they could never get their schedules lined up. I'd still love to read Patterson's original blog post about the Mats but I believe I read somewhere (maybe here) that it's no longer online.

Kudzu Guillotine

This year's Coachella lineup is being reported by Slicing Up Eyeballs and KROQ so hopefully this isn't a hoax as a fake poster has been rolling out well ahead of time for the past few years. For whatever it's worth, I haven't been able to access Coachella.com, probably because of heavy traffic trying to confirm the lineup.

Coachella 2014: The Replacements, Pet Shop Boys, Afghan Whigs, Bryan Ferry, Toy Dolls

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Shot from a set of never before seen photos of the Replacements. Click on the image to link to the article.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Supposedly The 'Mats Coachella set is streaming live tomorrow night at 8:45 PDT but I can't find official confirmation of that. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Supposedly The 'Mats Coachella set is streaming live tomorrow night at 8:45 PDT but I can't find official confirmation of that. Anyone else hear anything about this?

This is the link that's been posted on the The Replacements - Live Archive Project page on FB. Looks legit to me.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Supposedly The 'Mats Coachella set is streaming live tomorrow night at 8:45 PDT but I can't find official confirmation of that. Anyone else hear anything about this?

This is the link that's been posted on the The Replacements - Live Archive Project page on FB. Looks legit to me.

That's the official Coachella link for sure but where does it say the Replacements?

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

That's the official Coachella link for sure but where does it say the Replacements?

Good question. I don't see them listed either but I've found at least two articles saying that their set is going to be streamed on Friday, April 11 at 8:45 (PT). This is one, this is another.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

While I get that is a totally Replacements thing to do, I would be fucking pissed if I finally get a chance to see The Mats and they bring out Billie Joe Armstrong to sing while Paul lays about on a couch.

There is a very strong possibility that I am going to make it to ACL festival in Austin this year and they better not pull that shit. :) :evil:
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Kudzu Guillotine

Gator McKlusky wrote:While I get that is a totally Replacements thing to do, I would be fucking pissed if I finally get a chance to see The Mats and they bring out Billie Joe Armstrong to sing while Paul lays about on a couch.

I agree.

I hope this reunion extends beyond festival shows at some point. I know of at least one person that says they wouldn't go see them because it's "not the Replacements" but this same person has no problem going to see NRBQ, which only has one original member. I know it's not the same as seeing the Replacements in their prime but I wouldn't hesitate to go see them if they came to my area. Hell, the one opportunity I do recall having to see them was in the 90's on the tour for All Shook Down when Westerberg and Stinson were the only original members.

Kudzu Guillotine

I've never cared much for Green Day myself but the current version of the Replacements obviously think enough of Billie Joe Armstrong to have him there.

The Replacements Played Another Festival Set With Billie Joe Armstrong

Will

Post by Will »

I was there Saturday. Endured being wedged in a huge crowd during Conor Oberst's set (wife's favorite, so we were really close to the front), then a complete downpour that left us soaked before we could get our ponchos out. It was worth it for the Mats set. They seemed to be having a blast, and Armstrong knew better than to try and take any of the spotlight. Westerberg fumbled the words to Alex Chilton briefly, but plowed right on through. Really worth the wait.

Stinson did something really cool earlier in the day, too. At 12:30, they had a group from the Songs for Kids foundation play. Songs for Kids brings musicians into children's hospitals to provide learning opportunities for the patients. The group playing Saturday was fronted by a 13-year old named Nicholas who performed a couple of songs he wrote while going through chemotherapy. He played keyboards, backed by the adults, including Stinson on bass. Nicholas may not realize it now, but having that story is going to get him all kinds of cool girls when he's older.

Good fest overall--got to see Isbell (who brought out Candi Staton to sing Heart on a String), The Hold Steady, Langhorne Slim, Dawes, and others. Just waiting on my sunburn to fade now.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

They were so good last weekend. Paul was pissed off. I hate to say it, but his anger made it better than ever and especially nostalgic. I don't know what happened but he started the show by saying, "Someone's getting fired tonight..." And he ended it by saying, "We are The Cements!" He changed lyrics from, "I don't know" to "I don't care" and his entire commentary was pretty much a total snarkfest. He insisted on constantly mispronouncing the name of the fest. It brought me back. He even performed laying down for a bit. But they played amazingly. The whole show was searing. I'm generally indifferent to Billy Joe Armstrong but he fit in very well. I remember that he had a very unfortunate, very public breakdown, but I also remember largely agreeing with what he said while it happened (though i don't actually remember what that was, but I think it coincides well with the Replacements' general attitudes and views.) The set list is all over the internet and it was a good one. Tommy played the whole set smirking and staring at the ground the way one might stare at their plate while out to dinner with their ragey, alcoholic dad and something had just triggered his ire. I kind of think that the Replacements are the only truly independent-minded band out there playing shows of this size. It was really interesting to juxtapose this show against the one I saw last summer, which was the first of their "reunion era." Last year they had to prove that they could do it. This year, they are demonstrating that they can do it while not giving a fuck. But you could see the cracks on Sunday. They weren't cracks in terms of quality of music or playing, but you could see Westerberg kind of teetering and considering going over the edge. But he didn't. He was strong and hilarious... but you still had a "without a safety net" feeling the whole time... Friends of mine conceived of and created this festival. It started 8 years ago, with a crowd of 25,000 people. Last weekend 135,000 people attended. God I hate festivals, but I'm really happy for my friends and excited for their success. It was also like a reunion of sorts for me and I started drinking early and the night ended extremely late. I was very tired the next day, but I made it to brunch. While there, a friend asked if I had recently seen my old family house, by the lake in the country. I said, "Yeah, yeah, yeah... last summer. Here, I'll show you a photo... Oh... Woah..." They said, "what?" I said, "I have no recollection of meeting Tommy Stinson last night, but here's a photo of me biting him..." There turned out to be a series of photos of me, my friend Jen and Tommy. I think he may have been more softly spoken than I would have expected and very nice. I think. Anyway, that band makes me do things that no other band does. I will no longer attend festivals to see any other band, ever, and I believe that's the first time I've ever asked to have my photo taken with a musician at a show. They'll always be my favourite.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

Kudzu Guillotine

Thanks for the review. I do hope they'll eventually do some more shows outside of festivals, otherwise I'll probably never see them (nothing against festivals, btw). It'll also be interesting to see friends backtrack on their statements about refusing to see them because "it isn't really the Replacements". I can guarantee that if they were to announce a show in this area that those people will quickly forget they ever said anything of the kind.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

I think Paul Westerburg is too volatile to go on the road for real. I think the band is realizing, as bands do, that they can cash in very nicely playing between 3 and 5 festivals a year. I'd be shocked if they toured.

I've always hated festivals. I think outside shows lose their intensity, I don't love crowds and festival sets are often fairly lacking. I may go to Osheaga again because I'm connected to it and it's a bit of a different experience for me, but I don't know. The Truckers played around the corner from my house on their last tour and I didn't buy a ticket. Instead I drove for an hour and a half to watch them in a small club, which was great, for the most part and much more my kind of thing.

I'd be very curious to learn who the nay-sayers of the current line-up are seeing that's so much more compelling that this. This drummer is such a better drummer than Chris Mars, no disrespect to Chris Mars intended. I expect he'd agree... And the guitar situation is wicked. As has been said several times, it's really about the songs and Paul and Tommy...

And I still find them so refreshing... In the social media age, I find bands tend to have wierd co-dependant relationships with their fans and it kind of creeps me out... I like my rock stars to be a little less needy. And these guys still really don't give a fuck and I like that.

Kudzu Guillotine

So far, the closest they've been to here was the Shaky Knees Festival in Atlanta. I have a friend that went who said she really enjoyed the Replacements (even with Billie Joe who she said was never a distraction). I know they've got that show coming up in NYC next month with the Hold Steady and Deer Tick. If something like that were happen around here, I'd be all about it. On the naysayer's front, I've got at least one friend that's said it's not really the Replacements without Bob Stinson and that they refuse to see them. Like I said, I imagine if they were to announce a show in this area, that person would quickly eat their words.

On the festival front, I can't say I'm totally opposed to them other than the fact that so many of the sets are abbreviated. I've only been to a handful (Woodstock 94, ACL, HORDE, Furthur, etc) over the years but it's not something I really go out of my way to do. That said, something like Hopscotch and last years IBMA's World Of Bluegrass festival (which is in Raleigh every September until 2017) are a bit different as they're spread out across several different venues throughout downtown. I'm not sure if you've seen this but it's worth a read.

Why the Summer Music Festival Bubble is About to Burst
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Thanks for posting that article. I found it very interesting and thought provoking but not super surprising. We definitely live in the era of commercializing everything. I hate it, but this certainly seems to be the direction the world is heading in. There was a club in Toronto called the Mod Club. Now it's called The Virgin Mobile Mod Club. Sigh... I took one walk around Osheaga becasue friends of mine were working all over it. There is so much sponsorship, marketing, so many contests, so much stuff for sale. It's actually extremely impressive, if not more than a little depressing. A convenience store chain had little boothes all over the grounds, which incidentaly are fairly sprawling, selling water, candy and condoms. I bet they made a killing. I have been a curmudgeon my entire life and even at age 22 or whatever, when Lolapalooza started up, I had no time for festivals. I remember watching footage of Woodstock on TV with my boyfriend one night and saying to him, "Thank god I am here on this couch and not there. It looks horrible there..." But between the ages of 16 to 21, I would have LOVED a festival like Osheaga. There's good-looking, stylish kids as far as the eye can see, along with great food and lots of beer and other booze. Oh yeah, and music... That's the other problem. I don't actually like watching shows with people who are festival fans more than they are music fans... But I was sequestered in VIP with my middle-aged friends and it made me happy to see the kids having so much fun. I just didn't want to be among them, which is probably appropriate given my age. I hope Osh prevails. I think it will because it has one thing that the other North American festivals don't, which is a drinking age of 18.

Kudzu Guillotine

Even though I've mostly only done the day parties at Hopscotch the last couple years, the thing that struck me most about it the first year was when I drove downtown and there was music coming out of nearly every club and street corner. It was surreal seeing the Helping Hand Mission Marching Band going down the street just prior to PE that year. I hope it's able to maintain that level of excitement for me (and others) in the years to come. To me, it's not so much about the roster but the atmosphere that's created by something like Hopscotch.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I 'm just realizing Pony Girl bit Tommy Fuckin' Stinson!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

He tastes like musician. (Chicken that's been marinating in cigarettes and whiskey for a good while.)

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Patterson posted the other day "The Replacements make me happy". To that I say Amen. Loved seeing this odd redemption of my beloved 'Mats.

Kudzu Guillotine

Covering Billy Joe Shaver at ACL Fest last weekend.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

In the mystery I just finished,House Rivals by Mike Lawson, one of the characters is an FBI agent from the Twin Cities. Her name is Westerberg.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard