Artist of the Week 8/9/2010 The Replacements

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Artist of the Week 8/9/2010 The Replacements

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

A funny

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

New Tommy Stinson interview. Yes he mentions The 'Mats and the "R" word. I'll believe all that when I see it but it's fun to think about.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I've been loving the new EP. Considering the number of 'Mats fans around here I figured I'd see more enthusiasm for it. Instead, there's been none.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I've been loving the new EP. Considering the number of 'Mats fans around here I figured I'd see more enthusiasm for it. Instead, there's been none.

I love it. I'm sorry I haven't effervesced. I'm with ya though Kudzu and I do hope for a reunion.

Just as an aside, there was a an in depth 'Mats discussion going on in the Men's room of the 40 Watt last Saturday night. Swamp was talking about how he knows how I feel about them but try as he may he can't get into 'em. He also told the story of seeing them open up for Tom Petty the night they stole Mrs. Petty's clothes to wear on stage. That was, of course, the last time they opened up for Petty and Swamp's son's first show ever. Others joined into the conversation and the whole thing was quite surreal. Still I wasn't sure there was any more appropriate place to debate the Replacements than the Men's room at a legendary Rock club. It somehow worked for me. And then Slobberbone took the stage...

Kudzu Guillotine

I wish there had been a full length interview with Patterson for Gorman Bechard's Color Me Obsessed documentary. Instead, there's an excerpt from a blog post Patterson made (which seems to have disappeared into the ether). During a Q & A Gorman did following a screening here last year, he said he had hoped to do an interview with Patterson but they kept missing each other out on the road so it never happened.

I'm not sure what it is with the Mats but it seems they're only known to the most diehard music buffs. I think the infamous Jon Bon Jovi quote ("How can they be the best band of the 80's if I've never heard of them") really speaks to that. At least some folks do know "I'll Be You" because of some AOR airplay and due to MTV but beyond that a lot of folks seem to be clueless. The name sounds familiar so a lot of people seem to acknowledge them but I have a feeling they really have no idea who they are.

For me, I heard a lot about them through the years but it wasn't until Don't Tell A Soul that I ever purchased one of their albums. In the early 90's I picked up Bash n' Pop's album and Westerberg's 14 Songs but it wasn't until late in the decade when I bought Perfect's When Squirrels Play Chicken EP that I seriously started digging into Westerberg's solo albums as well as the Mats' back catalog. One of their albums that I purchased was Sorry Ma, I Forgot to Take Out the Trash which I promptly returned because I just wasn't able to get into it. Probably because I've just never been all that into punk rock. I'm told that I'd probably like Hootenanny but I still haven't added that one to my collection. I definitely like everything from Let It Be on though.

I know a lot of folks are against a Mats reunion but since I never got to see them I would love to (even though it obviously wouldn't be the same). Over the years I have seen Stinson (Gorilla Village Head era) and Westerberg (14 Songs tour) but that's it. Westerberg played here several years ago on a solo tour but I missed out on that one. For anyone that may be interested, here's a link to that new Stinson interview TC mentioned.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

This article from Paul Westerberg on songwriting is linked in the article Smitty posted above.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... ssible/?hp

It's a good read and contains this instantly quotable Westerbergian phrase "Even Beethoven plagiarized Handel."
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine

Full coverage of last night's show in Toronto courtesy of Slicing Up Eyeballs:

The Replacements at Riot Fest: Photos, video, setlist from first ’Mats show in 22 years

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

I don't even know what to say. A lot of people made me feel silly for being so into this and to be honest, I don't even know why I was so forthright about it, myself. Generally speaking, for me, music festivals are to be avoided. Some people are very comfortable being pushy. I am not. I never want to be told, "You made me do this and it sucked..." but for whatever reason, I forced a bunch of people to go to this. There was a lot of, "What the fuck is wrong with you?!" and "Please pull your head from your ass..." There was so much rationalizing along the lines of, "Look. We know that Dinosaur, Rocket from the Crypt and Iggy are going to be fantastic (and they were). That alone is worth the price of admission..." Anyway, all those fuckers (AKA my dearest, oldest friends) who caved and showed up owe me an enormous debt of gratitude. Though to be fair, it meant a lot to have them there. Go sentimentality!

And to anybody who can get it together to go to Chicago and/or Denver: Please go. I am pretty sure you won't regret it.

I understand the reticence. We don't like to see our heroes topple. But they didn't. They prevailed, unequivocally.

And that is the end of my self-congratulatory, "I am so vindicated" preamble.

After Iggy Pop's amazing performance, I decided to head as close to the stage as possible. I have been going to punk rock shows for a while and even though I haven't really done it in like a decade, I know how to tactfully navigate my way up front without pissing too many people off, but I didn't expect to be so successful that I would end up front and centre on the rail, but that is indeed where I did end up. I don't know how I got so lucky, but that was the sweetest of spots. At one point I looked up on stage to see my very good friend John watching from behind the band. I was very jealous because he was like, up there, with them. But after he said, "Settle down. The amps were facing you and all I could really see were the backs of their heads and you eye-fucking each and every one of them..." He can be a bit over the top and is no stranger hyperbole. I am sure it wasn't that bad, but I would be remiss if I did not mention how extremely easy on the eyes each and every one of those guys is right now. They are not young men, but they all look smoking. Westerberg in particular, looks great. Photos don't do him justice. He is handsomer than ever. But really they all are, even the new guys. They know how to dress. Their clothes fit properly. They have good haircuts and great style and swagger. As I type this, it occurs to me that the expression in my eye may well have been a bit lascivious after all. Up and coming bands should take a page from their aesthetic. (Established bands might consider it too.)

And they certainly did play the shit out of the songs. They were loud and tight. The sound was great and Paul's voice is fit. The 2 non original members were excellent additions. They are talented players, with the right sound and they fit in well with the Paul and Tommy. Nobody could have asked for a better set list. Inevitably there were favourites left out, but only because they have so many good songs and they had a limited time to play. The whole list is published on the internet, but highlights for me were Color Me Impressed, Favorite Thing, Androgynous, Little Mascara, Bastards of Young... so many highlights...

I am not exactly sure why he did it, but for some reason Paul decided to come out for the encore wearing a Montreal Canadiens jersey. So he's obviously still kind of a dysfunctional jerk because the Habs are a polarizing force here and they are widely despised. I, of course, adored this gesture. A) A quick review of my personal history would reveal that I am crazy about dysfunctional jerks; and B) I am from Montreal. I love, love, love the Habs. There was my ultimate punk rock, teenage heart throb wearing the jersey of my team. And, here, in enemy territory, no less. I am emotional about both the Replacements and the Habs. The Habs represent home and family to me. I started going to games at the forum, with my dad, at a very young age. So I went, "Go Habs go!" and some guy said, "Shut up you stupid bitch. I should punch you in the head!" (Stay classy Toronto!) And with that, my sentimental journey ended. Anyway, Paul is still stirring shit up...

But he looked great up there, comfortable and relaxed, as though doing this show was the easiest thing in the world for him(other than remembering the lyrics).

It was an extraordinary day. I would be surprised if this line-up doesn't do a full fledged tour at some point. They looked like they were having a great time and I am sure they would enjoy the revenue. If they can keep going the way they did last night, I would heartily encourage everyone to check them out.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

Kudzu Guillotine

Thanks so much for the report, it sounds like you had a blast. Unfortunately Chicago and Denver are out of the question for me but like a whole lot of other people, I do hope they see fit to go on a full scale tour at some point.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

As I was watching the video I noticed for the first time how much Tommy looks like Bob. Never saw the family resemblance back in the day.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I, for one, say more concert reviews from PonyGirl. Felt like I was there.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rocky wrote:I, for one, say more concert reviews from PonyGirl. Felt like I was there.

x2

Now I need me some of the 'Mats my ownself.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Rocky wrote:I, for one, say more concert reviews from PonyGirl. Felt like I was there.

x2

Now I need me some of the 'Mats my ownself.

You're on notice, PonyGirl: You have 24 hours after DBT's Toronto show to put up a review of this quality. ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Damn, it'll run me close to $1000 by the time all is said and done to go see them in Denver. And my house really needs painted. Put it off last year for a trip to Jamaica that I remember in fragments (though good ones). Saw Replacements for something like $10 the first time I saw them back in 84, and the shows were a wide mix in the meantime, although the only ones I didn't like were the boring ones when they were opening for Elvis C. Assume they're going to try to do more after this, but Westerberg rarely holds it together for long, and who knows how long Axl will let Tommy stay out and play. Talk about ambivalence.

Kudzu Guillotine

I would love to see Tommy permanently defect from G n' R. Then again, I've never fully understood that connection anyway. I know he's said in interviews that it's not the $$$ but I have a very hard time believing that. G n' R always struck me as the kind of band that the Mats' thumbed their noses at. Maybe I missed something.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I will only go if they play in Sacto and the tixs are less than thirty bucks. I listened to yesterdays show this morning and I thought It was better than I had assumed it would be, but still so much less than it could have been, although they did really nail a couple of tunes.
Keep calm and have a cigar

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Sir Bubba: I would never write a review of DBT for this board, though I certainly do love that band and believe that their live shows are indeed second to none. I am predisposed to snarkiness and this is not the place for that. I mean it in a good-natured way, but I often fail to convey that effectively. Allow me to predict that they will be on fire, there will be an air tight wall of sound and many of the attendees will be among the best damn people on earth. Unfortunately due to a scheduling conflict, I am not sure that I can even attend. Now that my compatriots have returned to La Belle Province, I can concede that there is much that is great about Toronto and my favorite thing about it is the Royal Horse Show, which is that week. It's huge. Springsteen was there last year, hanging out, watching his daughter kick ass (she is incredible). It's really the best thing ever, like WAY better than Christmas. Every year my friends and I get box seats, watch the competition, then we go to the fancy, posh bar for a couple of hours and then we close out the night at the cowboy bar. I would love to try to bring the girls to the rock show, but the thing about that cowboy bar is that there are like, real cowboys there. But how great would it be if I could get like 16 horse girls in cocktail attire to rush the stage at the Truckers? I wouldn't encourage them to do that, but if they showed up, they just would and that would be an event that I would be happy to write about. But I am never going to get them out of the cowboy building, so it's a bit moot. I may still try to head to the rock show on my own though.

Lotus: As much I dearly love to say I told you so, especially in regards to this (still haven't found that turn off to the high road), nobody should ever be influenced by anything I say. Ever. (Not that you ever would be...) Also, you say it was boring, but I still really envy you for having caught that Mats/Elvis double bill.

Kudzu: Tommy is doing the G n R gig for the money, for sure. He just knows not to bite the hand that feeds him while he is talking to the media. But trust me, it's the cash and not devotion to that puffy cartoon, Axl Rose.

Sacto: Hey, I can't really disagree with you. But, and of course you are well aware of this, being there is different than listening to the recording. The energy was pretty zingy... And Paul Westerberg is so fucking refreshing. I am so sick of musicians who drone on about their good deeds and philanthropy. Rock stars aren't supposed to need my approval and he never did and he still doesn't and that's how I like it. He doesn't care and I know I sound like an idiot, but I love that. I almost bought a T-shirt and I haven't bought merch, in god... I've never bought merch (possibly because I've sold so much of it over the years). But the shirts say, "Hate us on Facebook," and they have a middle finger illustration on them, done in the style of the "like" icon from Facebook. I love that kind of audacity. He covered Sham 69 and Ethel Merman... He more or less implied that all his songs sound the same when he said something like, "Well if you liked that one, we have many more that sound just like it!" In this age of social media and so much slick promotion, his irreverence and commitment to oddness kind of restored my faith that there are people out there who are still independent minded individuals. And he still rocked the house like a pro. But my advice (which should definitely be ignored), would be to catch them while they are hot. Because it could all go south in a hurry. I hope with all my heart that it does not, but I would not be surprised if it did.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Snark? Who doesn't love some snark in their DBT reviews? Besides, the truckers will not be taking the stage until well after the horses are back in their stalls, so that doesn't even qualify as a conflict (hey, maybe the pregame should be at the horse show!)

But tell me again about the 16 girls in cocktail dresses rushing the stage...

Oh, yeah, that snarky bit about show reviews did not go unnoticed. :) ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Just posted to YouTube a few days ago, an interview with Westerberg in which the interviewer has no idea who he is. I've run into a lot of folks over the years that claim to know who the Replacements are but when I start talking to them some more, I find that they really have no idea. Probably because the name sounds so familiar.

On Thanksgiving Day in 2010 we randomly ran into Paul Westerberg of The Replacements who was doing some early Christmas shopping at a South Minneapolis Walgreens. Reporter Liz Collin had no idea who he was and Paul was having some fun with her.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

PonyGirl wrote:
Lotus: As much I dearly love to say I told you so, especially in regards to this (still haven't found that turn off to the high road), nobody should ever be influenced by anything I say. Ever. (Not that you ever would be...) Also, you say it was boring, but I still really envy you for having caught that Mats/Elvis double bill.

Mileage discount got me $100 airfare. Careful search got me $120 car for five days. Raising a child gets me a free bedroom, beer and Colorado's finest in residual benefits. That just leaves a $50 tic and I'm in. Hell yeah...

The Elvis show was when Elvis was in his long hair and beard phase and he was pretty good that night though it was hot hot hot as I recall on a summer Baltimore evening. The Mats just didn't want to be there, didn't want to be opening and were reliving their Tom Petty opening trauma issues out. It all worked out because I got to see them with Uncle Tupelo opening for them somewhere right around that time in a Norfolk bar instead of a soulless amphitheater. For me though, nothing will beat the first time in a little dive in Indianapolis right around the time when Tim came out, them all hanging out at the bar before the set because there was no such thing as a backstage at this place, buying them drinks because they had no money, Tommy and Paul shepherding Bob out of the bar while he was still standing after one round turned into several and then kicking ass in one of those glorious nights where you know you're seeing it for real right in front of you. So that will never happen again, but I hope Paul holds his shit together long enough to pull off the Denver show as I really thought about swearing him off after the last time when he just laid on the floor behind his amp playing his guitar with only his feet sticking out and refusing to sing and instead having people from the audience hop up and take a turn at the mike. But hey, some years leaves you wanting some more and hoping you'll get it.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

lotusamerica wrote:Mileage discount got me $100 airfare. Careful search got me $120 car for five days. Raising a child gets me a free bedroom, beer and Colorado's finest in residual benefits. That just leaves a $50 tic and I'm in. Hell yeah...

I suspect you are just trying to torture Dean.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

lotusamerica wrote:

Mileage discount got me $100 airfare. Careful search got me $120 car for five days. Raising a child gets me a free bedroom, beer and Colorado's finest in residual benefits. That just leaves a $50 tic and I'm in. Hell yeah...
[/quote]

I am excited and happy for you!!! Also kind of jealous. I can't wait to hear all about it. The rumours are that they got paid a lot to do these festival shows and that that will be it, so good for you for seizing the moment.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Review from yesterday's show in Chicago (completely jealous that they played there the year after I left town, oh well I saw them break up there 22 years ago):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... ull.column

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Review from yesterday's show in Chicago (completely jealous that they played there the year after I left town, oh well I saw them break up there 22 years ago):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... ull.column

A bunch of Unified Scene folks descended for this show - I heard good things.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Sitting at the bar in the Denver airport. Happy weekend. On my phone so not much to say except the Replacements ended their little three show run as they should've. In pink skirts, oversized clipon western shirts and giant Woody cowboy hats, they worked their way through another career retrospective set similar to Toronto and Chicago only missing the acoustic singalong faves replaced by some unrehearsed songs and cover songs. Tight set, unafraid of playing songs only a few of us probably even knew, ignoring calls to play more hits and ending with a Hootenanny encore with Westerberg on drums and attempts to play random covers that nearly all fell apart within a few bars, other than Detroit Rock City. Paul tried to move back to singing and did a Daltry mic swing that looked semicool until he finished off the move without the mic attached and just an empty wire in his face. He cracked up, found it on the floor, chucked it into the audience and walked off stage, tommy said "you hired us!" and followed him and that was that despite the audience waiting another fifteen minutes hoping for another more proper encore.

Little mascara, I Will Dare, Shiftless When Idle, Alex chilton and Bastards of Young were standouts.

Skyway, Swinging Party, Unsatisfied, and Waitress In the Sky were absent.

Love it or be annoyed by it as you wish.

Kudzu Guillotine

This could be a sign that these guys plan on sticking around for a while. Or not.

The Replacements website opens for business

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

From FB:

To answer a few common questions: We will be restocking the store very soon so those who are missing their sizes will be bummed no longer, and we will have new stuff in the store as time goes on. Oh, and in regards to more tour dates, the answer is

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

I finally caught up with what I thought was a documentary Color Me Obsessed: A Film About The Replacements; and, it turns out to have been a vast and breathtaking disappointment (to me at least). Would it have killed Gorman Bechard to have a narrator, or, for fuck's sake at least a soundtrack? Many interesting interviews are watered down by lack of narrative voice, zero actual music, and at two hours plus in this droning format it is just shy of unwatchable.

Someone needs to create a proper "rockumentary" film about this topic. Truly.