Artist of the Week 8/9/2010 The Replacements

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

emandrisdad

Re: Artist of the Week 8/9/2010 The Replacements

Post by emandrisdad »

I'm going to see Tommy tomorrow night, he's a chatty sort so maybe I'll ask him about this article. Although having read it, it sure doesn't sound very promising for the folks that would like to see it happen.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Reunion talk is beginning to rear it's ugly head again.

I don't ever want to see it. What's the point really? The thing that was my beloved Mats died long before 1991 and I don't need to see any ghosts. Now Paul getting out there and playing again I would go see and I do hope to catch Tommy at some point, but the Replacements? They don't exist anymore.

Easy to say for those who got to see them! I would be all over this if it happens; especially if Chris was on the drums.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Gator McKlusky wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Reunion talk is beginning to rear it's ugly head again.

I don't ever want to see it. What's the point really? The thing that was my beloved Mats died long before 1991 and I don't need to see any ghosts. Now Paul getting out there and playing again I would go see and I do hope to catch Tommy at some point, but the Replacements? They don't exist anymore.

Easy to say for those who got to see them! I would be all over this if it happens; especially if Chris was on the drums.

If this actually happens, I definitely want to see them. I saw Westerberg when he was out on tour for 14 Songs and Stinson on tour for Village Gorilla Head but that's it.

rip_this_joint

Post by rip_this_joint »

I'd love to see Westerberg and Stinson do something together. Wouldn't have to be under the banner of the Replacements either. Collaborating on something along the lines of PW's Grandpaboy stuff would be fantastic. I would think that any collaboration with Westerberg would have to be more gratifying than that joke Axl calls GnR these days.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

While mindlessly net surfing I came across this gem from 2002. Good stuff here:

Paul Westerberg: The Man Who Wasn’t There
August 16, 2002

After his wild life with the Replacements, Paul Westerberg learned to disappear. But when St. Paul returned, he found his down-and-out disciples waiting for him. By Jonathan Valania

And then one day, long after anyone bothered paying attention, he just disappeared. He simply wasn’t there anymore. There was no puff of smoke or trapdoor involved. He just slowly faded away while we were looking right at him or through him or past him. And nobody even blinked.

story continues here
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Click on the image for more info.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

When did Paul change the spelling of his last name?

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

I was lucky enough to see the band once, just before they called it a day.

After a bit of searching on the internet I found this blog post which has pictures from the gig I went to.

http://flashtightpocket.blogspot.com/20 ... ments.html

The band look at lot more sobber than I remember!
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

MSNBC just used the intro to Bastards Of Young as bumper music going into a commercial break!
Keep calm and have a cigar

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

sactochris wrote:MSNBC just used the intro to Bastards Of Young as bumper music going into a commercial break!
sellout.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

dime in the gutter wrote:
sactochris wrote:MSNBC just used the intro to Bastards Of Young as bumper music going into a commercial break!
sellout.

I hope your jokeing.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Kudzu Guillotine

Some dates for screenings of the Color Me Obsessed documentary have been posted on the website for the film but I'm not sure of their accuracy. For instance, the Facebook page for the film lists a date of Thursday, January 12th for a screening at the Nightlight in Chapel Hill but this isn't reflected on the Color Me Obsessed website.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Some dates for screenings of the Color Me Obsessed documentary have been posted on the website for the film but I'm not sure of their accuracy. For instance, the Facebook page for the film lists a date of Thursday, January 12th for a screening at the Nightlight in Chapel Hill but this isn't reflected on the Color Me Obsessed website.

I've been looking forward to this doc for awhile.

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Some dates for screenings of the Color Me Obsessed documentary have been posted on the website for the film but I'm not sure of their accuracy. For instance, the Facebook page for the film lists a date of Thursday, January 12th for a screening at the Nightlight in Chapel Hill but this isn't reflected on the Color Me Obsessed website.

As have I. I just had that Chapel Hill date confirmed so I'll probably go to it next week.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Iowan wrote:

As have I. I just had that Chapel Hill date confirmed so I'll probably go to it next week.

Bums me out that (as usual) Iowa is completely circled, but gets no dates. Sioux Falls? The hell.

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:Bums me out that (as usual) Iowa is completely circled, but gets no dates. Sioux Falls? The hell.

This is what was posted on their FB page in regards to bringing the movie to your town:

If it books movies only for a week at a time. it won't work. We need a theatre that books INDIE movies for one or two nights, or a weekend. We need someone in the town to pester the hell out of them, and set it up. This is GRASSROOTS...YOU do legwork. This is how Vancouver and Chapel Hill happened. And don't do it on Facebook. Do research, then send me an email: ColorMeObsessed@gmail.com

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Iowan wrote:Bums me out that (as usual) Iowa is completely circled, but gets no dates. Sioux Falls? The hell.

This is what was posted on their FB page in regards to bringing the movie to your town:

If it books movies only for a week at a time. it won't work. We need a theatre that books INDIE movies for one or two nights, or a weekend. We need someone in the town to pester the hell out of them, and set it up. This is GRASSROOTS...YOU do legwork. This is how Vancouver and Chapel Hill happened. And don't do it on Facebook. Do research, then send me an email: ColorMeObsessed@gmail.com

Well, well, well.

I may have to give the indie theatre the neighborhood over from me a call.

Kudzu Guillotine

Couple of hard to find Westerberg/Grandpaboy tracks that have been posted to the YouTubes. I'm one of the ones that doesn't find out about these random releases until after they're gone. Very frustrating.

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

There’s a pause, and then the announcer sounds like she’s just found a dead mouse in her can of Tab: “We apologize … here they are: The Replacements.” The crowd reacts a little nervously – is something not quite right here? There’s a hiccup of silence, then one sole bass drum thump that has nothing to do with the riff guitarist Slim Dunlop had launched into – the opening chords to “Talent Show” from the ‘Mats’ Don’t Tell A Soul album. As the camera begins to slowly swoop in on the stage, lead singer/guitarist Paul Westerberg leans into the mic: “What the hell are we doing here?” Uh-oh … someone’s not sticking to the script …

Here's the whole thing: http://www.jambands.com/columns/brian-robbins-the-maine-line/2010/03/28/the-replacements-alex-chilton-s-beautifully-twisted-children
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.

Kudzu Guillotine

New article about Tommy Stinson that not only focuses on his years with the Mats but on his solo work as well.

Here Comes A Regular (From Chronogram Magazine)

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Twin Cities music hero Slim Dunlap hospitalized by a stroke

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 59503.html
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gator McKlusky wrote:Twin Cities music hero Slim Dunlap hospitalized by a stroke

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 59503.html

Sick about this. Met him several times and he's a hell of a nice man.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Saw the 'Mats during the "Don't Tell A Soul" tour in Oklahoma City. Slim took time to talk to fans after the show, and although I didn't meet him, he seemed like a genuine guy from a distance and from everything I've read about him. I really hope everything works out for him.

Two highlights from that show:

A little known (at the time) local band opened. The Flaming Lips.

At the end of the show, Paul Westerberg thanked the crowd that was in front of the stage, but added "Fuck the rest of you Okie morons," in reference to those at the bar drinking and not paying attention to show.

God I miss the 'Mats. My favorite band of all time.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

sactochris wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:
sellout.

I hope your jokeing.

Is this possable?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

The Replacements reunite for new EP

Hey, so The Smiths might never ever ever reunite, but at least you now have The Replacements. That’s right, I can now write a sentence that may cause heart attacks for our entire editorial staff: The Replacements have reunited!

According to Rolling Stone, core members Paul Westerberg and bassist Tommy Stinson reunited for the first time since 2006 to record a covers EP to benefit their former bandmate Slim Dunlap, who suffered a stroke in February. Joined in the studio by Westerberg solo guitarist Kevin Bowe and drummer Peter Anderson (Replacements drummer Chris Mars chose not to participate), the band recorded Dunlap’s solo song “Busted Up”, “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” from the Broadway musical Gypsy, Gordon Lightfoot’s 1965 song “I’m Not Sayin’”, and “Lost Highway” by Hank Williams.

The songs will be released as a 10″ EP later this year, though only 250 copies will be pressed. Proceeds will benefit Dunlap.

When asked by Rolling Stone if this reunion would lead to further reunion activities, Westerberg said, “It’s possible. After playing with Tommy last week, I was thinking, ‘All right, let’s crank it up and knock out a record like this.’ I’m closer to it now than I was two years ago, let’s say that.”

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Jumping around on the board and remembered this article after reading about NYE with the Dickinsons, An Ode to Vinyl and the Replacements' Covers EP:

http://jimdickinsonslegacy.blogspot.com ... ments.html

Kudzu Guillotine

Replacements in Raleigh on 7.31.87. I'm not sure of the venue.

I can't post this photo here because it's linked to Flicker but it was apparently taken at The Pier in Raleigh on January 1, 1987. The caption reads:

One of the best concerts I've ever seen. It was like they were making up for all the crappy shows they had inflicted on us before ... and they wore suits like the Faces! The show ended with Dan Baird joining them for "Route 66" and "Gimme Shelter."

Kudzu Guillotine

Mystery solved in regards to the above footage. It appears that it comes from The Pier in Raleigh. Still not sure about the photo but in all likelihood it comes from the same show.

"... video was 7/31 at The Pier in Raleigh, NC. This video represents audience taping in its most basic form--a shaky, hand-held camera at a poor audience vantage point. This video is shot from sharp stage right. Tommy, for the most part, is hidden behind a speaker cabinet, Chris is not seen at all, but Paul and Slim are captured reasonably well. The band appears in good form, belting out rockers such as 'Hold My Life,' and 'Bastards of Young.' The usually buttoned down Paul is almost shirtless except for a light vest. My copy is only forty minutes long so it is unclear if this is a fragment of the master or if the master was an incomplete show."

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »