Artist of the Week 8/9/2010 The Replacements

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Artist of the Week 8/9/2010 The Replacements

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I listened to "Tim" this morning and realized that "waitress In The Sky" sounds exactly like the old song "Mountain Of Love".

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I don't think this has been posted....
Here's a Minnesota Public television segment about chris Mars from a couple years ago. Good stuff about a very cool guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq9O7x91h1I&t=313s

jr29

Post by jr29 »

emandrisdad wrote:a bit more about songs for slim

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/01/p ... s-reunion/
I had never listened to a single Slim Dunlap song until I got into the Bob Mehr book. Some of his stuff is on par with the work of Paul and Tommy. There is some great shit in his limited catalogue.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

New record out last month. Have you guys heard this one yet?

"thankfully, we finally have a document that confirms just how good the Replacements could be when the fates allowed"

https://www.allmusic.com/album/for-sale ... 0003082039
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I have. I was there and it was great. Great sounding trip down memory lane

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

emandrisdad wrote:I have. I was there and it was great. Great sounding trip down memory lane
Wow. Talk about a souvenir!

B-rad G

Post by B-rad G »

Rocky wrote:New record out last month. Have you guys heard this one yet?

"thankfully, we finally have a document that confirms just how good the Replacements could be when the fates allowed"

https://www.allmusic.com/album/for-sale ... 0003082039
I bought it last weekend and am loving it. The local record store was selling it with a note that read "free gift with purchase". I figured it was gonna be some worthless thing they were just trying to get rid of. When I got to the counter the clerk said "you're gonna like this" and handed me a 12 x 18 poster with die cut images of each of the Replacements from that era. They each pop out and can stand on their own! Pretty damn cool - and I got the last one!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^^^ Unbelievable and awesome. I didn't know stuff like this happened any more.

notjosephstalin

Post by notjosephstalin »

Old thread but my 2 cents worth. Replacements and where they are now

Found the Replacements when I caught them on SNL for "that show" I'd never heard them before. Went and bought Tim the next day. Everything else they had released the following week. (Took a trip to Buffalo and Toronto)

I'm from a small town in The Niagara Region 20 mins from the USA border and Buffalo. In the 80's I could barely get Toronto radio and Buffalo was all then same and I couldn't get any of the College stations.
I was listening to punk and stuff but I was getting it all from my brother or friends who went record shopping.

Bastards of Young is still in my top 5. God what a mess, on the ladder of success. You take one step and miss the whole first rung.

Saw them about 15 times including the first Riotfest show in Toronto on the reunion tour. The lousy Petty tour was the low light. Concert hall in Toronto with the REAL Goo Goo Dolls opening was the best. (Iris wasn't even a thought at this point for them) I can be heard yelling out for Johnny's Gonna Die on the bootleg if you can find it.

Saw Westerberg 3x solo it was OK. Enjoyed the albums but it wasn't quite enough?
Chris Mars first solo album was OK, second was not so OK to me.

Tommy Stinson's Bash N Pop however was fucking excellent. Saw them at Lee's Palace on the Friday Night is Killing me tour. (Lee's is where the DBTs had their recent 3 night stay in Toronto) he was bang on. Didn't see them again till he made the new Bash n Pop album Anything Can Happen. I couldn't see the Buffalo or Toronto shows and was pissed off. Got a call at 3 in the morning from a friend in Hamilton ON. His wife had arranged a benefit for the Fort McMurray wildfires that were ravaging Alberta. Bash n Pop had that night off and were going to play. The spot was a music school rehearsal space over the bar/music venue/dive bar This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton Ontario (named after the album from Hamilton's own punk rockers The Forgotten Rebels)

Completely illegal show. Pay what you can and the bar was a table of booze and beer and you just put a "donation" in the cup.
40-50 people standing on top of the band. Tommy blew up an AMP and they played EVERYTHING they could. Steve from the Hold Steady on Guitar, Justin from the Screeching Weasels on bass. Joe from the Mighty Mighty Boss Tones on drums.

Replacements led me to Alex Chilton/Big Star and the Only Ones and for that I thank them as well.
My band still plays The Replacements and we always get a great response, guess no one plays them that much in Canada.
I tried but I could not. Stand in her way.
She stepped over me and was gone.

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Agree with the Westerberg solo stuff as being underwhelming - I would except Stereo/Mono and Suicaine from that generalization though - Stinson is a freaking beast - Slim's solo stuff ain't half bad either - I like your analytical and writing style brother. Too bad I did not meet you at Lee's a couple of weeks back. I think we would have much to talk about.

Outlier question: What is your take on the Headstones? ever see them live? I have not but I kinda want to make that happen....
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I like a few Westerberg solo tunes, but there's no question that Bash & Pop is the best post-Replacements work any of them have done.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:I like a few Westerberg solo tunes, but there's no question that Bash & Pop is the best post-Replacements work any of them have done.
That's a tough call. I think 14 Songs, Suicane Gratification, Stereo and Mono are all excellent and 49:00 is a fucking masterpiece and better than all of them but because it was kind of a mess and got pulled from commercial circulation so quickly that most people didn't notice. The two Bash & Pop records are amazing, the two Perfect records are damned good and One Man Mutiny is a really strong record. So are the Bash & Pop albums the best of that whole group between the two of them? I don't know, maybe but I can't say that definitively. I think Paul is a much better writer but Tommy IS Rock & Roll as surely as Keith Richards is.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

notjosephstalin wrote:Completely illegal show. Pay what you can and the bar was a table of booze and beer and you just put a "donation" in the cup.
40-50 people standing on top of the band. Tommy blew up an AMP and they played EVERYTHING they could. Steve from the Hold Steady on Guitar, Justin from the Screeching Weasels on bass. Joe from the Mighty Mighty Boss Tones on drums.
That sounds amazing!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

notjosephstalin

Post by notjosephstalin »

Headstones are a Canadian legacy. Not quite up there with the Tragically Hip, Rush or Celine Dion :-) but still worth it.

They kick ass live, my friend Dawn is up in the 150 show range I believe. She even bought in when they were crowd sourcing the production costs. She paid for a package that included a night in studio hanging while they recorded. Now the band and her are friends and she is always pulled out at a show or hangs with them a bit.

I would assume you've seen Hardcore Logo? Canadian mocumentary about a punk band getting back together. Hugh Dillon from the Headstones is one of the actors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Core_Logo
blessedcurse wrote:Agree with the Westerberg solo stuff as being underwhelming - I would except Stereo/Mono and Suicaine from that generalization though - Stinson is a freaking beast - Slim's solo stuff ain't half bad either - I like your analytical and writing style brother. Too bad I did not meet you at Lee's a couple of weeks back. I think we would have much to talk about.

Outlier question: What is your take on the Headstones? ever see them live? I have not but I kinda want to make that happen....
Last edited by notjosephstalin on Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I tried but I could not. Stand in her way.
She stepped over me and was gone.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:I like a few Westerberg solo tunes, but there's no question that Bash & Pop is the best post-Replacements work any of them have done.
That's a tough call. I think 14 Songs, Suicane Gratification, Stereo and Mono are all excellent and 49:00 is a fucking masterpiece and better than all of them but because it was kind of a mess and got pulled from commercial circulation so quickly that most people didn't notice. The two Bash & Pop records are amazing, the two Perfect records are damned good and One Man Mutiny is a really strong record. So are the Bash & Pop albums the best of that whole group between the two of them? I don't know, maybe but I can't say that definitively. I think Paul is a much better writer but Tommy IS Rock & Roll as surely as Keith Richards is.
Total body of work, I agree, and it's not really a contest. But the two Bash & Pop are just so damn good. Maybe I need to spend more time with solo Westerberg.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Bruce Springsteen gave huge kudos to Slim Dunlap on his satellite radio show yesterday. He said, among other complimentary things, "Slim Dunlap in my opinion is simply one of the best rock and roll songwriters that we have."
I know Slim has had a tough go of it. I hope that brought him some joy (and maybe some money)