2017 Album Releases

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: 2017 Album Releases

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

fuck yeah!!!

https://www.amazon.com/When-Wine-Was-Ch ... B01MXPGJNW

Jimmy Smith- When Wine Was Cheap: The Steamy Bowl Tapes '91-99

Disc: 1
1. When Wine Was Cheap
2. Charlotte
3. Flamenco Cabaret
4. Plaid Coat
5. Rugged Roses
6. You'Re Gonna Like It
7. Pint Tar Ramparts
8. Stadium Blitzer
9. Pair Of Goats
10. Let 'Em In
11. Wired Ol' Gal
12. Loudest Bell
13. Drunk Mama
14. My Time Yer Time
15. Window In The Can
16. Coyote With Wings
17. Big Santiago Bust
18. Cut The Cain
19. Gather Up The Trouble
20. Doggone Lonesome
21. Trampled By The Sun
22. I Like Drinkin'
23. Stay In Zee Housin'

Disc: 2
1. Jenny Brown
2. Waterbag
3. When The Money Comes Rollin' In
4. Let It Rain
5. Rat Scratch Fever (Take 1)
6. Dirty Laggard
7. Couple At The Ransom Center
8. Wood Roach
9. Tear Box (Take 1)
10. Lgo
11. Copper Mine
12. Stained
13. Tear Box (Take 2)
14. Ain'T Gonna Have It
15. Owl & The Eye Balls
16. Where'S Yer Light
17. Bad Gumbo
18. Black Shiny Head
19. Prayer That Fell Upon The Mirror
20. Mobile Home
21. Whiskey & Blood
22. Squeeze Box Mexican
23. Biscuit
24. Nashville
25. Down The Line
26. I Come Up
27. All The Labor
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Interesting. Any more info on that anywhere?
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

whatwouldcooleydo?

WarHenRecords wrote:Interesting. Any more info on that anywhere?
what more is it you want to know?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Zip City wrote:Attn: dime, Beebs, tinnitus, etc.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premi ... lp-w467299
they were supposed to play Psycho LV this year but for whatever reason cancelled every show.

tinnitus photography

June can't come fast enough.

tinnitus photography

oh, and the new Grails (Chalice Hymnal) is quite good.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/l ... -six-years

novisad

Post by novisad »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:New Dan Baird, due in early 2017. More info here. Click on the image to listen to a stream of the record.

Cool, didn't know about this one, thanks. Looks like it's already out but "temporarily out of stock" on amazon, will try to order through the band's website.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

novisad wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:New Dan Baird, due in early 2017. More info here. Click on the image to listen to a stream of the record.

Cool, didn't know about this one, thanks. Looks like it's already out but "temporarily out of stock" on amazon, will try to order through the band's website.
I heard him interviewed on Outlaw Country radio last week and he said that there are "issues beyond his control" on the physical release but that he hopes they are resolved soon. I really like what I've heard so far.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Well I wasn't privy to it beforehand, and that Amazon link has basically zero info about the release itself.
Some minor research doesn't give much info either, other than it just being a large collection of demos.
Wondering if there's any more to it. The story behind it, if there even is one.

whatwouldcooleydo?

WarHenRecords wrote:
Well I wasn't privy to it beforehand, and that Amazon link has basically zero info about the release itself.
Some minor research doesn't give much info either, other than it just being a large collection of demos.
Wondering if there's any more to it. The story behind it, if there even is one.
That's pretty much all I found as well, so I have nothing to add regarding backstory. I was long involved in the Gourds board and while it's almost completely dormant these days, once in a blue moon there is a post. Someone posted the Amazon link recently, otherwise I would have been oblivious to this release

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Right on.
I miss The Gourds. Loved that band so much. I don't think they're ever coming back.
I feel like I heard Jimmy left Austin and moved to Montana. That true?

whatwouldcooleydo?

WarHenRecords wrote:Right on.
I miss The Gourds. Loved that band so much. I don't think they're ever coming back.
Pretty sure, that's what I heard, he moved to Missoula. Over the years Missoula had become a sort of spiritual home to the Gourds and their fans, so that may explain it. Gourds fans began to treat Missoula shows akin to how DBT fans view the Athens run

totally miss them also. Saw them a ton of times and got to be friends with most of the band, all of them good people. When they hit the groove on stage they were as good as anyone.
Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

WarHenRecords wrote:Right on.
Pretty sure, that's what I heard, he moved to Missoula. Over the years Missoula had become a sort of spiritual home to the Gourds and their fans, so that may explain it.

totally miss them also. Saw them a ton of times and got to be friends with most of the band, all of them good people. When they hit the groove on stage they were as good as anyone.
Yeah I saw them a handful of times too, including a few shows that I worked. Ended up having a nice relationship with Kev.
I like the Shinyribs stuff but it's just not the same.
And I agree with your "hit the groove" statement. Amazing band when they were hittin' the note.

whatwouldcooleydo?

WarHenRecords wrote:[Yeah I saw them a handful of times too, including a few shows that I worked. Ended up having a nice relationship with Kev.
I like the Shinyribs stuff but it's just not the same.
And I agree with your "hit the groove" statement. Amazing band when they were hittin' the note.
I was tightest with Keith and then slightly less so Jimmy and Claude. Was on a speaking/hang out basis with all of them.

Really miss those guys...... a lot

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

novisad

Post by novisad »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
novisad wrote:

I heard him interviewed on Outlaw Country radio last week and he said that there are "issues beyond his control" on the physical release but that he hopes they are resolved soon. I really like what I've heard so far.
It seems as though his recent releases are carried exclusively by U.K. labels. Actually I ended up placing the order on amazon.co.uk, where it does say "in stock", also pre-ordered his album with Homemade Sin which is scheduled to appear on March 10.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

The new albums I like so far this year. I'm only listing artists since I can't remember album titles:

Strand of Oaks - When a track comes up on my Spotify, I'm surprised by how much it kicks ass. When a song from the album comes up, I ask myself, who is this, I stop what I'm doing, check my phone, and shit, its Strand of Oaks.

Chuck Prophet - I'm hearing a lot of the Modern Lovers. This might be the year I finally start liking Chuck Prophet.

The Sadies - Saw them live last year with Kurt Vile, and they killed it, the new album is just great after a whiskey.

Sun Kil Moon - I was never sure if this guy is ever good, he just rambles like I do after a few martinis, but I can't help but like it. And his busting on Sufjan Stevens is kind of funny.

Black Joe Lewis - I hear everything from the last 40 years of rock n roll in this one

Nikki Lane - Started liking her last year, but paid more attention to Margo Price, but this is Nikki Lane's year, and this could be my number one girls and boys included

Bash n Pop - They live up to their name in this one, which is a good thing

Dan Baird - Yes, just straight forward, rock n roll with a groove.

Old 97s - It's been two days, but I like this better then all their previous albums which goes back to the 90's

Sun Volt - Clearly, Jay Farrar has one of the best voices, or should I say most haunting voices for rock/country, but Sun Volt has fallen a little short in the past for my taste (which I admit isn't the most refined). But most of the the songs are working for me on this new one, which is great, because I love a haunting voice after a few whiskeys.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gang Green wrote:The new albums I like so far this year. I'm only listing artists since I can't remember album titles:

Strand of Oaks - When a track comes up on my Spotify, I'm surprised by how much it kicks ass. When a song from the album comes up, I ask myself, who is this, I stop what I'm doing, check my phone, and shit, its Strand of Oaks.

Chuck Prophet - I'm hearing a lot of the Modern Lovers. This might be the year I finally start liking Chuck Prophet.

The Sadies - Saw them live last year with Kurt Vile, and they killed it, the new album is just great after a whiskey.

Sun Kil Moon - I was never sure if this guy is ever good, he just rambles like I do after a few martinis, but I can't help but like it. And his busting on Sufjan Stevens is kind of funny.

Black Joe Lewis - I hear everything from the last 40 years of rock n roll in this one

Nikki Lane - Started liking her last year, but paid more attention to Margo Price, but this is Nikki Lane's year, and this could be my number one girls and boys included

Old 97s - It's been two days, but I like this better then all their previous albums which goes back to the 90's

Sun Volt - Clearly, Jay Farrar has one of the best voices, or should I say most haunting voices for rock/country, but Sun Volt has fallen a little short in the past for my taste (which I admit isn't the most refined). But most of the the songs are working for me on this new one, which is great, because I love a haunting voice after a few whiskeys.
Good post GG
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Clams wrote:
Gang Green wrote:The new albums I like so far this year. I'm only listing artists since I can't remember album titles:

Good post GG
Though, I see we're not in agreement with Strand of Oaks which is fine. Also, didn't mean to imply I only listen to one woman artist per year with Nikki Lane, I also loved Elizabeth Cook last year, so that's two. Anyway, I tried to give Tift Merritt a shot, but i wasn't quite working for me.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Favs so far:

Ryan Adams - Prisoner
Ty Segall - s/t
Tift Merritt - Stitch of the World
Strand of Oaks - Hard Love
All Them Witches - Sleeping Through The War

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

"Is This the Life We Really Want?" by Roger Waters out May 19

:D :D :D :D
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

This beauty just dropped:

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

My 2017 thoughts:

Old 97's "Graveyard Whistling" - It's not as rowdy and ragged as the last one, but it really works well. Amazing how consistently good they are.

Chuck Prophet "Bobby Fuller Died for Your Sins" - Classic Prophet. Petty meets Ray Davies all over the place. "Alex Nieto" is arguably the hardest rocker he's done.

Bash & Pop "Anything Can Happen" - A perfect 'Mats-esque offering from Tommy Stinson. Clever songs, killer melodies, and that barroom punk meets acoustic folk with a country flair that the best of his old band had in spades.

Son Volt - The rowdiest and most enjoyable SV offering in a while. Loud guitars, great melodies. Jay Farrar seems to be enjoying it.

Ryan Adams "Prisoner" - melds his fixation on 80's rock towards a more Springsteenish sound and drops his best group of songs in a decade.

Shinyribs "I Got Your Medicine" - I found this enjoyable on the couple listens I gave it. Need to spend a little more time here.

Mark Porkchop Holder "Let It Slide" - Gre-he-heasy

Dead Man Winter "Furnace" - AOTY thus far. Gorgeous melodies on heartbraking songs about divorce, loss, relocation, and Midwestern isolation. Dave Simonett should be doing this full time, IMO.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

really looking forward to this album:
http://www.stereogum.com/1928275/mark-l ... ive/music/

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Good write up, Iowan, but I'm giving Ty Segall AOTY so far.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:Good write up, Iowan, but I'm giving Ty Segall AOTY so far.
I rarely buy albums I can't try out, and since Segall isn't fully on Spotify, I haven't heard this yet.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

New Rodney Crowell coming at the end of the month. The stuff I've heard so far sounds great.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:Son Volt - The rowdiest and most enjoyable SV offering in a while. Loud guitars, great melodies. Jay Farrar seems to be enjoying it.
might be the first time I've ever heard any form of "rowdy" use as a descriptor for Son Volt/Jay Farrar :lol:

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Foo Fighters guitarist Chris Shiflett has a new album coming out next month. This tune kicks ass. California country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU765m2_uUI

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:Foo Fighters guitarist Chris Shiflett has a new album coming out next month. This tune kicks ass. California country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU765m2_uUI
That's great. I'm a huge fan of his podcast.