R.I.P. Chris Porter

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

R.I.P. Chris Porter

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Chris Porter passed away last night after a wreck. I didn't know Porter (as he was generally called) all that well but met him many times over the years and we have mutual friends (including olwiggum). Terrific songwriter. Life is short folks. So very sad.

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Chris Porter

Post by Jonicont »

Just terrible
Always go to the show

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Just started and deleted a thread about this before I saw this one. Damn. What a talented guy. This Red Mountain was one of my favorites of last year.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Just discovered Porter's posthumous record, which came out a week or two ago. Never heard of him before but sounds really good and more than a little heartbreaking. Would appreciate if maybe someone could post a bit about Porter and his band as I hear that there are some 3dd folks who knew him.
Clams wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:Image
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The band was new when he died so I didn't know much about them. He made the last record with Will Johnson, Shonna Tucker, John Calvin Abney and the Mastersons. I met Porter maybe a dozen times and saw him play a few times less than that. We had mutual friends in Shonna, Will, the Dexateens guys, and quite a few other people. People that knew him said nothing but wonderful things about him and his music. I got into his music during his time with Some Dark Holler and have dug everything since. His record with the Pollies, Porter and the Pollies made my top 10 in 2013 and his previous album to the posthumous release spent an awful lot of time on my turntable as well. He was a great songwriter and a good guy. I miss him, and I didn't know him half as well as some.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The band was new when he died so I didn't know much about them. He made the last record with Will Johnson, Shonna Tucker, John Calvin Abney and the Mastersons. I met Porter maybe a dozen times and saw him play a few times less than that. We had mutual friends in Shonna, Will, the Dexateens guys, and quite a few other people. People that knew him said nothing but wonderful things about him and his music. I got into his music during his time with Some Dark Holler and have dug everything since. His record with the Pollies, Porter and the Pollies made my top 10 in 2013 and his previous album to the posthumous release spent an awful lot of time on my turntable as well. He was a great songwriter and a good guy. I miss him, and I didn't know him half as well as some.
Thanks TC. Found this on his website. Looks like it's a few years old from when his first record (This Red Mountain) came out:
https://chrisportermusic.net/about-reviews
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:The band was new when he died so I didn't know much about them. He made the last record with Will Johnson, Shonna Tucker, John Calvin Abney and the Mastersons. I met Porter maybe a dozen times and saw him play a few times less than that. We had mutual friends in Shonna, Will, the Dexateens guys, and quite a few other people. People that knew him said nothing but wonderful things about him and his music. I got into his music during his time with Some Dark Holler and have dug everything since. His record with the Pollies, Porter and the Pollies made my top 10 in 2013 and his previous album to the posthumous release spent an awful lot of time on my turntable as well. He was a great songwriter and a good guy. I miss him, and I didn't know him half as well as some.
Thanks TC. Found this on his website. Looks like it's a few years old from when his first record, This Red Mountain, came out:
https://chrisportermusic.net/about-reviews
If you like this new one I'd listen to This Red Mountain, Porter and the Pollies and Some Dark Holler in that order. I've heard the Back Row Baptist stuff was fantastic but I've never really explored it.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Check out this podcast with a series of artists including Shonna Tucker and Will Johnson on the making of the late Porter's last album.

https://countryfriedrock.org/shonna-tuc ... g24SnlryM8