James McMurtry Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Re: James McMurtry Thread

Post by Smitty »

also a great new post on his blog

I had a record deal when I moved to Austin in 1989. I didn't move for the music, Elena, my fiancée, was in graduate school at UT at the time, but I liked the scene. I played a few gigs at clubs whose names I can no longer remember and some that I can, Headliners East, Ravens. When my first tour looped back through Austin, I got to play Liberty Lunch as the middle act, wedged in between the Del Fuegos, from Boston, and The Beat Farmers, from California. I was nervous and played badly. The Beat Farmers scared me and it's likely that one of them left a scratch on my old Guild guitar. Funny, now that the Beat Farmers are no more, since their legendary front man, Country Dick, collapsed and died onstage, I treasure that scratch.

http://www.jamesmcmurtry.com/blog.html

also check out the one on airport security

The machine made a rather loud noise as the scanning device circled me. I was aware that some poor soul staring at a TV monitor was seeing a good deal more of me than any of us got to see of Diane Keaton in "Sleeper". I was told to step out. The woman with the Glock (come to think of it, I guess they all had Glocks, or some such modern polymer framed hi-cap semi auto) went through my wallet and told me I was cleared. I walked to the conveyer and reassembled myself. I felt jarred somehow, more so than after the usual screening ordeal, and more jarred than I remember feeling after any of the few times that I've been bodily searched. Why is it assumed, in our culture, that an individual would rather be visually spied on than physically touched? I'm not sure which act is more invasive.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Saw James last night, with the Bottle Rockets. Great show as he played all the "hits" or at least most of my favorite songs.

My buddy, who only knew Choctaw Bingo commented that "he doesn't come off real excited", which made me chuckle.

RustyBolts

Post by RustyBolts »

Iowan wrote:Saw James last night, with the Bottle Rockets. Great show as he played all the "hits" or at least most of my favorite songs.

My buddy, who only knew Choctaw Bingo commented that "he doesn't come off real excited", which made me chuckle.

How were the Bottle Rockets? I was looking for a complete review from you over on CF.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

RustyBolts wrote:
Iowan wrote:Saw James last night, with the Bottle Rockets. Great show as he played all the "hits" or at least most of my favorite songs.

How were the Bottle Rockets? I was looking for a complete review from you over on CF.

HA! I forgot about their even being a discussion over there about these shows.

The BRox were awesome. I only have a couple of their albums, and A Truer Sound's 2 disc sampler (which covers most of the Brooklyn Side), but I think I knew damn near every song they played. They were tight, intense, and having a blast. Really enjoyed their set, and will be catching as many of their shows as I can going forward. I thought they were a little better than McMurtry, although he was really, really good too.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Found an old show I picked up years ago. Acoustic set. I no longer have the info that came with it. Sound quality is not perfect. Sounds a little "watery". Webstream? Don't let that turn you off though, great performance.

http://hotfile.com/dl/117520772/46d05e8 ... 1.zip.html

KUT FM Studio Austin, TX
Sept 8, 1991
Intro/Talkin at the Texaco
Terry
Storekeeper
Candyland
Song for Deckhands Daughter
Crazy Wind (w/Tish Hinojosa)
Safe Side
I'm Not From Here
Dusty Pages
Vague Directions
Where's Johnny?
Angeline (w/Tish Hinojosa)
Don't Waste Away

Clams

Post by Clams »

He's doing another east coast swing next month. I've got tix for the Sellersville, PA show on 6/14. Anyone know if these shows are gonna be solo or with his band?
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

Clams wrote:He's doing another east coast swing next month. I've got tix for the Sellersville, PA show on 6/14. Anyone know if these shows are gonna be solo or with his band?

Not to respond to my own post, but....

I have it on good authority that next month's east coast shows are with his full band. Anyone else going to the Sellersville show?

nutfat

Post by nutfat »

^ thinking about it clams..venue is 10 minutes from my house..softball game is the monkey wrench..could be a last minute thing..

TedsTireFire

Post by TedsTireFire »

There are only 2 songs I cannot listen to without tears welling up and that's Just Us Kids, because I see it happening to me, and Desperado's Waiting On A Train by Guy Clarke. One because I lived the song the other because I'm living the song.
See you at the ROCK SHOW!!!

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Why doesn't anyone ever want to be the journalist who doesn't ask him about his dad?
Beebs is not a ragey man

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I saw a listing yesterday for Southern Culture On the Skids, who are playing their annual week long residency at the Continental Club in Austin. James was also on the bill for last night's show but was listed as "Larry McMurtry".

Clams

Post by Clams »

Anyone else in for McMurtry's show at The Tin Angel in Philly next Friday August 3? Pretty sure it's a solo gig.

Also, just got word that he's doing XPN's free at noon show that same day at World Cafe Live. I'm hoping to make it to that one, too. You can rsvp for that right here: http://xpn.org/free-at-noon/james-mcmurtry

Van

Post by Van »

I signed up for the Free At Noon. I am not sure if I can make it. The Tin Angel is sold out :cry: .

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I hope to see him on the 4th @ the Birchmere. Lookin' forward to it.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I realized the other day that while I consider McMurtry to be one of my favorite artists, I'm really only intimately ( :? ) familiar with two of his albums: Just Us Kids and Live in Aught-Three. I have most of his other ones but haven't given them near as much attention as those two. I should probably rectify that.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Duke Silver wrote:I realized the other day that while I consider McMurtry to be one of my favorite artists, I'm really only intimately ( :? ) familiar with two of his albums: Just Us Kids and Live in Aught-Three. I have most of his other ones but haven't given them near as much attention as those two. I should probably rectify that.

Those are easily my 2 favorite McMurtry records, but you should absolutely seek out the rest of his catalog. I really like Where'd You Hide The Body a lot. If you're looking for a where-to-go-next album, that is my suggestion.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

cortez the killer wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:I realized the other day that while I consider McMurtry to be one of my favorite artists, I'm really only intimately ( :? ) familiar with two of his albums: Just Us Kids and Live in Aught-Three. I have most of his other ones but haven't given them near as much attention as those two. I should probably rectify that.

Those are easily my 2 favorite McMurtry records, but you should absolutely seek out the rest of his catalog. I really like Where'd You Hide The Body a lot. If you're looking for a where-to-go-next album, that is my suggestion.

Case in point: Where'd You Hide the Body (the song) is one of my favorites...but that's the only song I know from that album. I have some work to do.

(I've listened to Live from Europe quite a bit too, but that's basically Just Us Kids Live.)
ain't no static on the gospel radio

kendix

Post by kendix »

Duke Silver wrote:
Case in point: Where'd You Hide the Body (the song) is one of my favorites...but that's the only song I know from that album. I have some work to do.

(I've listened to Live from Europe quite a bit too, but that's basically Just Us Kids Live.)

Arguably his best album. "Rachel's Song" is definitely one of his best songs.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Saint Mary of the Woods & Childish Things are my 2 fav McMurtry albums.
But they're all good.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Saw the man tonight with Mrs Clams and my sister in law. He honored the river that sits only about a quarter mile away from the Tin Angel by opening with Across the Delaware. McMurtry stopped in the middle of Ruby & Carlos and snapped "Will you shut the fuck up?" to a couple of drunks who were right by the stage. They deserved it. He played a bunch of my very favorite songs tonight (Choctaw, Levelland, Hurricane Party, No More Buffalo, etc), and he also played what sounded like a couple of really good new songs. But what caught my attention most was his guitar playing. Damn. He can play. That Martin 12 string and the red Guild, beautiful guitars and man can he play them. A good show.

After the show, I learned that my car had been towed from right outside the Tin Angel. That sucked but not only did they get my car, but it turns out they also towed McMurtry's red Toyota rental car. So I got to be the one to go inside and tell James fucking McMurtry that his red Toyota rental car had been towed and offer him a ride to the impound lot in South Philly. Let me tell you, he was pissed off. Cursing and muttering. He's always seemed like a pretty surly dude to begin with, and I assure you his mood did not improve with this news. After thinking it over (he was worried about leaving his gear and said he also had to collect his money from the venue), he declined my offer to the impound lot and said he'd take a cab to his hotel and pick up the car in the morning. I told him "well, welcome to Philly, man" and he said he doubted if he'd be back to the Tin Angel any time soon. Crazy!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:So I got to be the one to go inside and tell James fucking McMurtry that his red Toyota rental car had been towed...

:shock: :lol: :lol: 8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Clams wrote:Saw the man tonight with Mrs Clams and my sister in law. He honored the river that sits only about a quarter mile away from the Tin Angel by opening with Across the Delaware. McMurtry stopped in the middle of Ruby & Carlos and snapped "Will you shut the fuck up?" to a couple of drunks who were right by the stage. They deserved it. He played a bunch of my very favorite songs tonight (Choctaw, Levelland, Hurricane Party, No More Buffalo, etc), and he also played what sounded like a couple of really good new songs. But what caught my attention most was his guitar playing. Damn. He can play. That Martin 12 string and the red Guild, beautiful guitars and man can he play them. A good show.

After the show, I learned that my car had been towed from right outside the Tin Angel. That sucked but not only did they get my car, but it turns out they also towed McMurtry's red Toyota rental car. So I got to be the one to go inside and tell James fucking McMurtry that his red Toyota rental car had been towed and offer him a ride to the impound lot in South Philly. Let me tell you, he was pissed off. Cursing and muttering. He's always seemed like a pretty surly dude to begin with, and I assure you his mood did not improve with this news. After thinking it over (he was worried about leaving his gear and said he also had to collect his money from the venue), he declined my offer to the impound lot and said he'd take a cab to his hotel and pick up the car in the morning. I told him "well, welcome to Philly, man" and he said he doubted if he'd be back to the Tin Angel any time soon. Crazy!

lots of awesome story in here Clams. Sorry about your ride.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Great story Clams; maybe you should have offered him some doughnuts. One thing I don't understand--how did you offer him a ride to the impound lot if your car was towed? piggyback?
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gator McKlusky wrote:Great story Clams; maybe you should have offered him some doughnuts. One thing I don't understand--how did you offer him a ride to the impound lot if your car was towed? piggyback?

We met my sister in law at the show and she drove us to the lot.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Ah, too bad he didn't accept your offer.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

McMurtry was probably taken back by the way Clams dances.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

:lol:
Dance Clams, dance!

Sorry about the tow Clams, but great story. The grandkids are gonna love the one about grampa (or will that be Clampa?) and the surly singer songwriter. :D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Great story, Clams! Mrs. Slip & I are headin' the door to see him right now. If I get to talk to him, I'm gonna say; "Ya know what pisses me off, gettin' my car towed". Doubt he'll get towed from the Birchmere parking lot.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

clams is a fucking genius.