James McMurtry Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: James McMurtry Thread

Post by cortez the killer »

Bottom line.... Do not fuck with these folks.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

cortez the killer wrote:Image

A photo from Mr. McMurtry's South Philly Impound lot experience (from his FB page).

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

A photo from Mr. McMurtry's South Philly Impound lot experience (from his FB page).

Looking less South Philly & more Delaware Ave. Perhaps the mollusk &/or Gang Green can better verify.

I lived in Philly for 3 1/2 years & those parking authority fuckers are straight-out ruthless. You sneeze wrong, they'll fuckin' tow your ass.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Looking less South Philly & more Delaware Ave. Perhaps the mollusk &/or Gang Green can better verify.

I lived in Philly for 3 1/2 years & those parking authority fuckers are straight-out ruthless. You sneeze wrong, they'll fuckin' tow your ass.

That's the impound lot in South Philly, right near Delaware Ave (now Columbus Blvd) and Oregon Ave. Just a hocker up the street from Tony Luke's and the Walt Whitman Bridge. That's the SS United States in the background. A rusted mess now, but once one of the finest luxury liners in the world. Pretty sure it still holds the record for fastest ship to cross the Atlantic. Been anchored down in South Philly for years. BTW - it's $175 to bail your car out of that lot. :evil:
If you don't run you rust

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Mrs. Slip bailed @ the last minute, but it was her loss as James (we're on a first name basis now) played a very entertaining show @ the Birchmere last night. He was somewhat jovial in his acerbic, surly fashion. At one point he told us we could talk amongst ourselves while he tuned his 12-string. That was in sharp contrast to Clam's show (where he had to shut those fuckers up). The opening act, Will Gravatt (who was pretty good himself), played the Robert Earl Keene song 'I'm Coming Home'. He said he loved it so much he calls it his own. James cracked me up later, when he said he was gonna play a Robert Earl Keene song that really IS his own (Levelland). I have to agree w/Clams, that his guitar playin' might not get talked about enough. Oh, I decided not to broach the subject of gettin' towed w/him. He was in a good mood & I didn't wanna kill his buzz.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Hey Killer, thanks for the Philly props, but I only know the areas between Temple and Center City and north near Cheltenham. But I have seen that boat going over the WW bridge. And I've seen the cops out there with rulers measuring the parallel parking to ensure they are two inches from the curb. Philly is a rough town, and Clams is the one to consult whenever entering the city. Slip thanks for the McMurtry rundown. I can't believe I missed last at the Birchmere.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

James McMurtry wrote:Just a reminder: Video taping is NOT ALLOWED at my shows. It pisses me off. If you see someone filming, feel free to dance directly in front of them. Sabotage that shit. Thanks.

This was posted on his FB page and started a shitstorm.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
James McMurtry wrote:Just a reminder: Video taping is NOT ALLOWED at my shows. It pisses me off. If you see someone filming, feel free to dance directly in front of them. Sabotage that shit. Thanks.

This was posted on his FB page and started a shitstorm.

The last time I saw McMurty, which was on a bill with Jason Isbell roughly six months ago or so, there was a fellow on the rail next to me that was filming the entire show using his iPhone (or similar such device). I wasn't bothered by it all, except it seemed strange that he appeared to be watching the show as much through his phone/camera as he was by using his eyes. To each their own. McMurtry never said a word but perhaps this was before the no video taping policy was in place. Jason, on the other hand, made it clear from the start of his set that no audio or video taping was allowed.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The thing that really bothers me is that a lot of people seem to think that taping an artist's show is some sort of God given right. It's not. It's a privilege and I'm damned glad many of the bands I enjoy allow it. I can also understand how it could be annoying to a performer both on stage and by having poor quality work out there representing him/her. The folks on FB saying that they won't be a fan of McMurtry's anymore over this are out of their damned fool minds. IMHO of course.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The thing that really bothers me is that a lot of people seem to think that taping an artist's show is some sort of God given right. It's not. It's a privilege and I'm damned glad many of the bands I enjoy allow it. I can also understand how it could be annoying to a performer both on stage and by having poor quality work out there representing him/her. The folks on FB saying that they won't be a fan of McMurtry's anymore over this are out of their damned fool minds. IMHO of course.

I agree. When I saw Wilco last Fall here in Raleigh it was made clear before you even entered the venue that no cameras or recording devices were allowed. As we all know, that doesn't stop people from attempting to film using their phones. In my section, security (which just so happened to be an older lady) attempted to stop someone from filming that was using their phone. She called the person down once but she started filming again so the security lady admonished her a second time and she pretended to put away her camera. Just as security was walking away, the girl with the camera pulled it back out again, began filming and starting coming towards security blatantly holding her camera/phone up in the air for all to see and just shoving it in the security lady's face. Of course, since it was her own personal phone there was nothing security could really do about it but why be such a motherfucking asshole about it (I'm referring here to the person filming)? It was no secret that filming wasn't allowed and of course some people are going to attempt to do so anyway but why be such a dick and cram your camera/phone up in security's face? Fuck those people, they should have kicked her sorry ass out of the concert just on general principle.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The thing that really bothers me is that a lot of people seem to think that taping an artist's show is some sort of God given right. It's not. It's a privilege and I'm damned glad many of the bands I enjoy allow it. I can also understand how it could be annoying to a performer both on stage and by having poor quality work out there representing him/her. The folks on FB saying that they won't be a fan of McMurtry's anymore over this are out of their damned fool minds. IMHO of course.

lot of idiotic comments on the FB post. Lot of "you just lost a fan" and " never get another cent out of me" type crap.

I feel confident in saying that ALL MY LIFE I have been aware that some acts allow taping others don't. When technology wasn't so accessible it was less of an issue, but still... So I have no sympathy for the entitled little biyatches that act like McMurtry is out of line for having this policy. Secondly, it's common knowledge that he is serious about this. It's on his website for all to see and 2 of the 3 times I've seen him live he's mentioned it. He's only reinforcing a long held stance.

HOWEVER, McMurtry could (like Isbell) do a better job explaining his stance on the issue. He doesn't really owe anyone an explanation. But explaining that cell phone recordings sound like crap and are a bad representation of him and that he wants to releases live material on his own could go a long way.

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Fuck those people, they should have kicked her sorry ass out of the concert just on general principle.

yes
Beebs is not a ragey man

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:
HOWEVER, McMurtry could (like Isbell) do a better job explaining his stance on the issue. He doesn't really owe anyone an explanation. But explaining that cell phone recordings sound like crap and are a bad representation of him and that he wants to releases live material on his own could go a long way.

Both of them have said it, McMurtry in that very thread, "no taping or videos. sound is often fucking horrible.", and Isbell said it in a few interviews. That being said I agree that they could do a better job of it with, say a permanent statement on their websites. I guess my big thing is for people to realize that they aren't taking away anyone's rights as they didn't have any in the first place.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

McMurtry's had a no-taping policy for years.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I'm glad he's getting grisly over this. I'm at the point of being really turned off from goint to shows stemming from this iPhone in the air bullshit. I don't get it. Sneak a pic and call it a night with the continuos shots and so forth. It's all you see nowadays if you're not up front. Common sense and respect for the artist and patrons.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:McMurtry's had a no-taping policy for years.

Hmmm, I wonder why he didn't say anything to the guy next to me in Raleigh who was obviously making no secret of filming the show with his iPhone. Surly as McMurtry can be he didn't even hit him with a steely glare.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu wrote:
I agree. When I saw Wilco last Fall here in Raleigh it was made clear before you even entered the venue that no cameras or recording devices were allowed.

Weird. There were three prominent, professional looking rigs in the back of the pit on Saturday night.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder why he didn't say anything to the guy next to me in Raleigh who was obviously making no secret of filming the show with his iPhone. Surly as McMurtry can be he didn't even hit him with a steely glare.

No clue -maybe he just gets tired of pointing that out.

Kudzu Guillotine

Zip City wrote:
Kudzu wrote:
I agree. When I saw Wilco last Fall here in Raleigh it was made clear before you even entered the venue that no cameras or recording devices were allowed.

Weird. There were three prominent, professional looking rigs in the back of the pit on Saturday night.

Maybe it was just cameras.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I was wondering that myself. He's certainly not shy about this in all other circumstances i've seen and heard of.

Zip City wrote:
Kudzu wrote:

From Wilcoworld.net

Photo and Taping Policies

1. NO CAMERAS PERMITTED: Still or Video. Professional photographers MUST obtain a photo pass via Wilco's management or publicist. No exceptions. Please be considerate of others.

2. We ask that you refrain from using your cell phones, updating Facebook, checking your e-mail, texting your friends, etc. both while driving and during concerts.

3. Wilco does permit audio taping and trading of live performances wherever it does not conflict with venue or other restrictions beyond our control. We do not allow direct soundboard patches. Wilco supports the free trading of live recordings for non-commercial purposes. We do not allow filming or video of any type without prior written permission.
Beebs is not a ragey man

kendix

Post by kendix »

I was talking before this song started, but I think he said he wanted everyone to tape his new Terry Jones song and put it on teh netz.

I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

kendix, is that at GAMH? Cuz I was there (mostly).
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

kendix

Post by kendix »

Yeah, I'm not sure, but I think he also said that was the first time he had played that song live. I didn't take the video, but I really think he asked the audience to film the song with their iphones and upload it. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, I guess.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

James McMurtry
Saturday near Nashville, TN via mobile
Wrote a new song yesterday afternoon. I'll be trying it out over the next few days on the 12-string. The iPhone video/filming ban is officially lifted. Film away.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't want Terry Jones for my pastor no more.
He claims to be Christian, he fans the flames of war.
And I don't believe that's what churches are for.
I don't want Terry Jones for my pastor no more.

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.
I don't know the Bible but I know the truth.
If to every slight we respond in kind,
Those who remain will be toothless and blind.

Look away all you faithful,
Look away all you damned.
Follow not the path of the hateful,
And put some of your faith in man.

Terry Jones, Terry Jones,yes I know it's true,
The radical sheiks are no better than you.
You may not have noticed you're one and the same,
Seeking the spotlight in some prophet's name.

Follow not in the path of the hateful,
And put some of your faith in man.

If for every life lost a life we must take,
What difference will anyone's righteousness make?

Follow not the path of the hateful,
And put some of your faith in man

And I don't want Terry Jones for my pastor no more.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Nice - ended up checking his site and he's playing Raleigh in about a month.

Never seen a show at the Berkeley Cafe. I assume it's bigger than it looks? In good street view it looks freakin' tiny - like a 15ft street frontage.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tyler wrote:Nice - ended up checking his site and he's playing Raleigh in about a month.

Never seen a show at the Berkeley Cafe. I assume it's bigger than it looks? In good street view it looks freakin' tiny - like a 15ft street frontage.

Yep, he's playing there with Joe Pug soon and you'd be correct about it's size, it's pretty fucking small. He'd be much better suited to the Lincoln Theatre or the Pour House.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Yea, I saw him opening for Isbell at the Lincoln when he came through last.

I'm assuming this is gonna be a solo acoustic set.

Edit: No, full band apparently. Some other shows on the tour are marked Solo but this is not. Still seems odd that he's playing such a small venue - other stops on the tour are much bigger (E.g. Visulite in Charlotte, Workplay in B'ham, etc)

Kudzu Guillotine

Maybe this is another topic that's deserving of it's on thread (if it doesn't already have one) but on the recording/filming/taking photos at shows tip, I found these remarks from a recent interview with Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby (who are in town tonight) to be fitting:

The song most known from those days is “Whole Wide World,” recorded when Eric and his band were on the Stiff Records roster alongside such acts as Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe and Ian Dury. An introductory mention of seeing a classic documentary of those years posted on YouTube brings out a blistering rant from Eric on the state of being a musician today, however.

“I kind of hate YouTube for all that stuff,” he says. “We did a tour with Yo La Tengo in Europe, places with great lights, proper sound; there isn’t one clip online from that tour because the audience were all there for the music. They watched and listened. If you’re playing some s#!thole and the audience is inattentive and the lighting is abysmal, you can bet it will be all over YouTube.”

For his shows with Amy Rigby in those less than ideal locations, Eric says they utilize a printed notice: “The price of admission does not include filming or recording rights, please put your camera and recorder away,” he says.

To read the rest of the interview, click here.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

James McMurtry kicks ass.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Yes and he is touring with the Gourds now on a double bill (alternating opening/closing act). THat would be killer. Any Gourds fans on here?