I'm Surprised More Folks at 3DD Aren't Fans of...

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Re: I'm Surprised More Folks at 3DD Aren't Fans of...

Post by Smitty »

any Michael Rank fans here?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:any Michael Rank fans here?
Yup. I've got 2-3 albums of his. There's always about 3-4 songs on each album that blow my doors off, but they don't get a ton of play.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Smitty wrote:any Michael Rank fans here?
Indeed. He just released a new album called Red Hand, which, like his last album, also features Heather McEntire (of Mount Moriah). He says he's about to switch musical gears but I don't hear that reflected on this album (at least from the cuts I've heard). Apparently, the live debut of this new sound is coming up soon but I can't seem to find that specific date at present. If the songs he's been playing on his radio program (Dust Hand Sessions) are any indication, he's heavily into funk and r&B at this point.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Peter Case
Quality songwriting for over 30 years. I became aware of him when the Plimsouls were rolling. Has collaborated with the likes of John Prine. very solid album output.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

4sooner wrote:Peter Case
Quality songwriting for over 30 years. I became aware of him when the Plimsouls were rolling. Has collaborated with the likes of John Prine. very solid album output.
I don't know his work other than the great "a case for case" tribute record.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I dig Peter Case a lot. He's very quietly built a nice body of quality work. Oddly, although they aren't that similar stylistically, I tend to think of Peter Himmelman when I think of Case as they were both making very good records around the same time. Himmelman is also Bob Dylan's son in-law.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Smitty wrote:
I don't know his work other than the great "a case for case" tribute record.
Although I haven't heard a bad record from him my 2 favorites are probably Torn Again and Wig! (the exclamation point is in the title). He may be right in your wheelhouse smitty.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I dig Peter Case a lot. He's very quietly built a nice body of quality work. Oddly, although they aren't that similar stylistically, I tend to think of Peter Himmelman when I think of Case as they were both making very good records around the same time. Himmelman is also Bob Dylan's son in-law.
Never heard anything by him but I have heard the name. Maybe from the Dylan connection.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Peter Case is great! Got to see him in the last year or two at a small house concert here.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Thanks 4sooner, I'm definitely going to check him out.

I probably erroneously associate him with Chris Gaffney, I guess because I got a Gaffney tribute record the same day as the Case one.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I posted about this guy recently, but if you are into Peter case, Chris Gaffney, Dave Alvin..........then Tom Russell should be right in your wheelhouse.
Here are Tom, Peter case and Dave Alvin teaming up on one of Tom's songs. Wonderful tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHZxylapYz0

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

jr29

Post by jr29 »

dee dee wrote:
He has a hundred of those. He's great.
Any Fred Eaglesmith fans ?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yep. Definitely in your win column of recommendations. It's a pretty long column :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

jr29 wrote: Any Fred Eaglesmith fans ?
Fred Heads unite!
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Kudzu Guillotine

David Childers first came onto my radar around 2006 or so with his Jailhouse Religion album that he cut with the Modern Don Juans. It was during this time that he was also doing quite a bit of touring with the Gourds. After taking a break from the business for a while (David's also a lawyer), he's returned in more recent years with albums from the Serpents of Reformation as well as the Overmountain Men, recorded with members of the Avett Brothers and Mipso. His upcoming new album was recorded with Don Dixon and Mitch Easter at Mitch's Fidelitorium studio in Kernersville, NC. This is one of his new songs.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:David Childers first came onto my radar around 2006 or so with his Jailhouse Religion album that he cut with the Modern Don Juans. It was during this time that he was also doing quite a bit of touring with the Gourds. After taking a break from the business for a while (David's also a lawyer), he's returned in more recent years with albums from the Serpents of Reformation as well as the Overmountain Men, recorded with members of the Avett Brothers and Mipso. His upcoming new album was recorded with Don Dixon and Mitch Easter at Mitch's Fidelitorium studio in Kernersville, NC. This is one of his new songs.

As you know Kudzu, I have become quite the Childers fan and a few weeks ago he played in the Nashville area and I couldn't make it up there. I'm afraid that might have been my one chance to see him because he rarely ventures out of the Carolinas.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I feel like I've asked this before on here but, any Scott H. Biram fans ?

Kudzu Guillotine

jr29 wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:David Childers first came onto my radar around 2006 or so with his Jailhouse Religion album that he cut with the Modern Don Juans. It was during this time that he was also doing quite a bit of touring with the Gourds. After taking a break from the business for a while (David's also a lawyer), he's returned in more recent years with albums from the Serpents of Reformation as well as the Overmountain Men, recorded with members of the Avett Brothers and Mipso. His upcoming new album was recorded with Don Dixon and Mitch Easter at Mitch's Fidelitorium studio in Kernersville, NC. This is one of his new songs.

As you know Kudzu, I have become quite the Childers fan and a few weeks ago he played in the Nashville area and I couldn't make it up there. I'm afraid that might have been my one chance to see him because he rarely ventures out of the Carolinas.
Perhaps that will change once his new album comes out. He rarely comes to this area (the Triangle region of NC) but I just missed him over the weekend at Mystery Brewery in nearby Hillsborough.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

jr29 wrote:I feel like I've asked this before on here but, any Scott H. Biram fans ?
I was big on him for awhile, but for one reason or another I haven't kept up with him. Last album I picked up was the one with Broke Ass on it.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Smitty wrote:
jr29 wrote:I feel like I've asked this before on here but, any Scott H. Biram fans ?
I was big on him for awhile, but for one reason or another I haven't kept up with him. Last album I picked up was the one with Broke Ass on it.
I think he's just released one since then. Broke Ass is a classic, great tune.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Smitty wrote:
like him a lot but also haven't kept up. I have Nothin' but Blood and The Dirty Old One Man Band. Never had a chance to see him live. I have a thing for one-man/one-woman bands

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
jr29 wrote:

Perhaps that will change once his new album comes out. He rarely comes to this area (the Triangle region of NC) but I just missed him over the weekend at Mystery Brewery in nearby Hillsborough.
Hopefully he hits the road a little more. Judging by what I read on social media there were quite a few Nashville artists who were excited about the show but it wasn't very well attended. He reminds me of Jim Mize, who is from Conway, Arkansas, near Little Rock. They are both white collar guys (Jim recently retired from the insurance industry) who play very blue collar music and have solid local followings. They also both have ties to more well known acts...Childers to the Avett brothers and Mize worked a lot with Blue Mountain.
There should definitely be more Jim Mize fans on here.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jr29 wrote:
Smitty wrote:
I think he's just released one since then. Broke Ass is a classic, great tune.
If I recall correctly he was a college classmate of little mama. I like his stuff a lot but I forget about him.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Willie Sugarcapps, a Mobile, AL based supergroup of sorts comprised of several solo acts and combos, including Will Kimbrough, Sugarcane Jane and Grayson Capps. I saw them perform at a new park in Dothan Saturday afternoon and picked up their CDs. Great stuff. I used to see Will perform in Alabama bars back in the 1980s but he has come a long ways since then.

http://williesugarcapps.com/

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365527235/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeXRBPOFJ9U

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tim Easton

http://www.timeaston.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Easton

he's taper friendly!

https://archive.org/details/TimEaston

Jesse Malin

http://www.jessemalin.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Malin

super jealous of those able to attend this upcoming show. Someone very much in the know says this:

A performance of the Rolling Stones' Goat's Head Soup with a lot of special guests. Emphasis on "Special." All I can say is that you really don't want to miss this one. You REALLY don't want to miss this.

This person works for an artist who is known to be somewhat of a "boss" in the New Jersey area and said bosslike person is renowned to be tight with Jesse Malin, so...... just sayin'. Another really good friend of Jesse is Ryan Adams, they have been known to sit-in at their respective shows

Kudzu Guillotine

It is my understanding that Ryan is definitely going to be at that show.

Richard Bacchus is a member of D Generation along with Jesse. Richard has been in the Raleigh area since at least around the time when I first moved here (2008). Here, he plays in Richard Bacchus and Luckiest Girls and a band called MSRP. Indyweek did a nice piece on him and D Generation earlier this year.

The Regeneration of D Generation

Photo by Justin Boruck

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Saw Turnpike Troubadours on Saturday here in Charlotte. Excellent show. Pretty packed house (400-500) with 20-30 somethings who were fans. No asshats that I could see. These guys understand the business model. Not a drop of alcohol on stage. Stage monitor/guitar tech swapping out guitatrs during the show. No nonsense pace. Merch flying off the table-20 different shirts, 4 hats in multiple colors. Koozies in 10 colors. And a TOUR BUS!
Always go to the show

whatwouldcooleydo?

Joe Henry

Laura Cantrell

Ike Reilly

Deadstring Brothers

Kudzu Guillotine

Possibly mentioned before but I'm mentioning him again. This is from Matthew's newest album, Hustle Up Starlings. I imagine this is going to be on lot of folks' year end top 10 lists but I don't think I've seen a single mention of it here.

Kudzu Guillotine

The Mighty King of Love