I'm Surprised More Folks at 3DD Aren't Fans of...

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

I'm Surprised More Folks at 3DD Aren't Fans of...

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. They have all the hallmarks of what most folks seem to enjoy here, Sarah possesses a rough hewn charm and is an absolute fireball of a live performer. Her band, which includes beau John Howie, Jr. (Two Dollar Pistols, the Rosewood Bluff) is also a firebrand. In his own outfit (the Rosewood Bluff), Howie hearkens back to the days of old school country with a deep baritone and gut wrenching songs of heartbreak. As a Disarmer, he's behind the drumkit where he unleashes the sort of fury long associated with his tenure in Michael Rank's Snatches of Pink. Rounding out the Disarmers are bassist Aaron Oliva (Thad Cockrell's Starlight Country Band) and guitarist Eric Peterson (The Swang Brothers, Sarah Shook & the Devil). At present, Sarah has two records out, her debut (Seven by Sarah Shook and the Devil) and her first with the Disarmers (Sidelong), released in October of 2015. She's received tons of favorable press for Sidelong and is about to embark on a tour that will take her to Atlanta, Richmond, New Haven, Knoxville, New York and various locales in North Carolina. If you're in close proximity to any of these shows, I strongly advise checking her out.

bellevillemusic

Re: I'm Surprised More Folks at 3DD Aren't Fans of...

Post by bellevillemusic »

#5 on my best of 2015. Great record.

sarah shook & the disarmers – sidelong

bellevillemusic

Post by bellevillemusic »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. They have all the hallmarks of what most folks seem to enjoy here, Sarah possesses a rough hewn charm and is an absolute fireball of a live performer. Her band, which includes beau John Howie, Jr. (Two Dollar Pistols, the Rosewood Bluff) is also a firebrand. In his own outfit (the Rosewood Bluff), Howie hearkens back to the days of old school country with a deep baritone and gut wrenching songs of heartbreak. As a Disarmer, he's behind the drumkit where he unleashes the sort of fury long associated with his tenure in Michael Rank's Snatches of Pink. Rounding out the Disarmers are bassist Aaron Oliva (Thad Cockrell's Starlight Country Band) and guitarist Eric Peterson (The Swang Brothers, Sarah Shook & the Devil). At present, Sarah has two records out, her debut (Seven by Sarah Shook and the Devil) and her first with the Disarmers (Sidelong), released in October of 2015. She's received tons of favorable press for Sidelong and is about to embark on a tour that will take her to Atlanta, Richmond, New Haven, Knoxville, New York and various locales in North Carolina. If you're in close proximity to any of these shows, I strongly advise checking her out.

Speaking of Two Dollar Pistols......another great record with an outstanding cover if I do say so myself!

Kudzu Guillotine

bellevillemusic wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. They have all the hallmarks of what most folks seem to enjoy here, Sarah possesses a rough hewn charm and is an absolute fireball of a live performer. Her band, which includes beau John Howie, Jr. (Two Dollar Pistols, the Rosewood Bluff) is also a firebrand. In his own outfit (the Rosewood Bluff), Howie hearkens back to the days of old school country with a deep baritone and gut wrenching songs of heartbreak. As a Disarmer, he's behind the drumkit where he unleashes the sort of fury long associated with his tenure in Michael Rank's Snatches of Pink. Rounding out the Disarmers are bassist Aaron Oliva (Thad Cockrell's Starlight Country Band) and guitarist Eric Peterson (The Swang Brothers, Sarah Shook & the Devil). At present, Sarah has two records out, her debut (Seven by Sarah Shook and the Devil) and her first with the Disarmers (Sidelong), released in October of 2015. She's received tons of favorable press for Sidelong and is about to embark on a tour that will take her to Atlanta, Richmond, New Haven, Knoxville, New York and various locales in North Carolina. If you're in close proximity to any of these shows, I strongly advise checking her out.

Speaking of Two Dollar Pistols......another great record with an outstanding cover if I do say so myself!

Indeed. From a long ago SPITTLEFEST at the Brewery (RIP) in Raleigh, some may recognize the fellow on the far left. He did double duty that weekend playing with DBT's and Two Dollar Pistols. Some may also recognize Steve Howell of the Backslilders on lead guitar in this photo.

Photo by Daniel Coston
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Listened to her older album on Spotify and dug it. The one you're talking about isn't available there.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Sparklehorse.
I go on binges regularly where it's all I listen to; in fact I'm on one currently. I think Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot is a largely forgotten classic and Its a Wonderful Life is a masterpiece. Dreamt and GMS are solid as well. Mark was such a talented and troubled soul; I put him in a rarified class with Chesnutt and Jason Molina.
I wish he was around to work on the rebooted Twin Peaks; his music has always been very Lynch-ian and I hate that it took until his last album to work with Lynch. Surreal, slightly off southern gothic at it's finest.
Mark Linkous even has tangential links to DBT through the Richmond scene (Cracker, House of Freaks) and Vic Chesnutt.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:Listened to her older album on Spotify and dug it. The one you're talking about isn't available there.
It is on Bandcamp if you want to check it out there.

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Smitty wrote:Sparklehorse.
I go on binges regularly where it's all I listen to; in fact I'm on one currently. I think Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot is a largely forgotten classic and Its a Wonderful Life is a masterpiece. Dreamt and GMS are solid as well. Mark was such a talented and troubled soul; I put him in a rarified class with Chesnutt and Jason Molina.
I wish he was around to work on the rebooted Twin Peaks; his music has always been very Lynch-ian and I hate that it took until his last album to work with Lynch. Surreal, slightly off southern gothic at it's finest.
Mark Linkous even has tangential links to DBT through the Richmond scene (Cracker, House of Freaks) and Vic Chesnutt.
Totally agree with this Smitty. Have been a huge fan for a number of years. Got 'Its a Wonderful Life' on vinyl about a year ago. The whole package is a thing of beauty. I was spinning this last Friday night and my 18 year old daughter, who is generally not a fan of anything I like, asked who it was and stated that she really liked it and sat with me to listen. A small miracle perhaps.
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

linkous

Post by linkous »

blessedcurse wrote:
Smitty wrote:Sparklehorse.
Totally agree with this Smitty. Have been a huge fan for a number of years. Got 'Its a Wonderful Life' on vinyl about a year ago. The whole package is a thing of beauty. I was spinning this last Friday night and my 18 year old daughter, who is generally not a fan of anything I like, asked who it was and stated that she really liked it and sat with me to listen. A small miracle perhaps.

Absolutely agree - my username is no accident.

On the original post - crock of shit. She's SOOOOOOOO rebellious dontchaknow :roll:

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I wondered if your username was a reference to Sparklehorse, linkous.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

linkous wrote:On the original post - crock of shit. She's SOOOOOOOO rebellious dontchaknow :roll:
I didn't refer to Sarah Shook as "rebellious" but since you mentioned it, I guess it all depends on how you choose to define that term. If not rebellious, she's certainly outspoken and goes against the grain of how many define country music in 2016. I'm not sure if you're familiar with HB2 but it's oppressive at best and Sarah has certainly been among the most vocal in opposition to it in North Carolina. Then again, she's not alone in that department. Just take a look at the list of folks that have been performing in Mike Allen's series of Stand Against HB2 protest concerts.
Does living in the South impact your music? How?

I’m a vegan, bisexual, atheist, civil rights activist, female in a country band in the south. So yes. There is definitely fallout due to our location. Things might go differently if we were located in, say, New York. Or Chicago. We’re playing a series of anti-HB2 concerts. And sometimes I sit there and look at the “unlikes” on our Facebook page after posting something pro-LGBTQ+ community and I’m like oh the fuck well! Who cares! When my efforts are geared towards fostering the most wildly diverse audience possible, it’s impossible to be bummed out by hateful people saying “nevermind” to my band and my music. Bye Felicia.
Auntie Bellum June 28, 2016
"I think that the truth needs to be out there, and the other thing that is really important to me is having a very diverse audience. This genre of music attracts a certain kind of person sometimes who is very close-minded and I want to tell those people, 'Look, you're welcome to be a fan. But full disclosure, I'm a fucking civil rights activist, and I'm a bisexual, and I'm an atheist, and I'm a vegan,' you know what I mean? That's a whole lot of non-redneck shit right there."
Rolling Stone, July 1, 2016

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
linkous wrote:On the original post - crock of shit. She's SOOOOOOOO rebellious dontchaknow :roll:
I didn't refer to Sarah Shook as "rebellious" but since you mentioned it, I guess it all depends on how you choose to define that term. If not rebellious, she's certainly outspoken and goes against the grain of how many define country music in 2016. I'm not sure if you're familiar with HB2 but it's oppressive at best and Sarah has certainly been among the most vocal in opposition to it in North Carolina. Then again, she's not alone in that department. Just take a look at the list of folks that have been performing in Mike Allen's series of Stand Against HB2 protest concerts.

I’m a vegan, bisexual, atheist, civil rights activist, female in a country band in the south. So yes. There is definitely fallout due to our location. Things might go differently if we were located in, say, New York. Or Chicago. We’re playing a series of anti-HB2 concerts. And sometimes I sit there and look at the “unlikes” on our Facebook page after posting something pro-LGBTQ+ community and I’m like oh the fuck well! Who cares! When my efforts are geared towards fostering the most wildly diverse audience possible, it’s impossible to be bummed out by hateful people saying “nevermind” to my band and my music. Bye Felicia.
"I think that the truth needs to be out there, and the other thing that is really important to me is having a very diverse audience. This genre of music attracts a certain kind of person sometimes who is very close-minded and I want to tell those people, 'Look, you're welcome to be a fan. But full disclosure, I'm a fucking civil rights activist, and I'm a bisexual, and I'm an atheist, and I'm a vegan,' you know what I mean? That's a whole lot of non-redneck shit right there."
Aw come on kudzu, I liked your first response better. You know, the one you deleted. :lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

Clams wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Aw come on kudzu, I liked your first response better. You know, the one you deleted. :lol:
This is the more appropriate response.

linkous

Post by linkous »

... Detroit Techno.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

1989. neil young slathered college radio desert rock. better live than on record. and the records are fucking great.

spotify, bitches.

Kudzu Guillotine

dime in the gutter wrote:
1989. neil young slathered college radio desert rock. better live than on record. and the records are fucking great.

spotify, bitches.
I don't have their album but I remember this band. They got sued by a glorified cover band from North Carolina called Sidewinder that, at one time or another included Robert Kearns (Bottle Rockets, Cry of Love, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cry of Love, Sheryl Crow) and Audley Freed (Cry of Love, Black Crowes, Sheryl Crow, Kevn Kinney, etc.). At the time of the lawsuit, Sidewinder had morphed into more of pop band (that didn't include either Kearns or Freed) that was seeking fame through Star Search. That lawsuit effectively ruined The Sidewinders' career. By the time they worked through all the legal entanglements and re-emerged as the Sand Rubies no one knew who the fuck they were. I've been told not to place the blame on the band, it was more of a case of someone within their ranks that pursued the lawsuit.

This is the song I remember, probably due to 120 Minutes on MTV.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Mekons. I wrote about them in an AOTW so won't repeat it here.

Howard Tate and Paul Pena's first album. Id.

Eric Clapton - He seems to get a lot of grief on here if he's mentioned at all, and no doubt some of it is deserved. Hell, the guy's been making music for a million years, it can't all be great. But plenty of it undoubtedly is.

Los Lobos - They don't get a lot of mention around here but I'm not sure, they may have a lot of fans who just don't talk that much about 'em.

Al Green - I mean, come on, Al Green.

I don't suppose there's any point in listing all the great power pop that gets mostly ignored* around here, but here's a couple just for yucks: Teenage Fanclub, Velvet Crush and The Shoes.

*Matthew Sweet and Big Star excepted
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Nice, Beantown. Just picked up a couple Los Lobos albums recently as a matter of fact including How WIll the Wolf Survive. Been listening to Al Green (Call Me is an excellent record btw) off and on this morning at work on my "Bill Withers" Pandora station (will be playing funk in the afternoon!).

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Los Lobos - They don't get a lot of mention around here but I'm not sure, they may have a lot of fans who just don't talk that much about 'em.
Myself, jonicont and StevieRay are all huge fans. They get some plugs in the listening thread from time to time.
beantownbubba wrote:Al Green - I mean, come on, Al Green.
Not liking Al Green should be a jail-able offense.
beantownbubba wrote: I don't suppose there's any point in listing all the great power pop that gets mostly ignored* around here, but here's a couple just for yucks: Teenage Fanclub, Velvet Crush and The Shoes.
Love me some power pop. Not familiar with Velvet Crush though. If you're going with The Shoes you have to go further down the Chicago Power Pop slide with Material Issue and Off Broadway.

As far as recent power pop I'm not sure anyone is doing anything better than what our guy Jay Gonzales has done the last few years.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Power Pop=Rockpile
Last edited by 4sooner on Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dean

Post by Dean »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Myself, jonicont and StevieRay are all huge fans. They get some plugs in the listening thread from time to time.
beantownbubba wrote:Al Green - I mean, come on, Al Green.
Not liking Al Green should be a jail-able offense.
beantownbubba wrote: I don't suppose there's any point in listing all the great power pop that gets mostly ignored* around here, but here's a couple just for yucks: Teenage Fanclub, Velvet Crush and The Shoes.
Love me some power pop. Not familiar with Velvet Crush though. If you're going with The Shoes you have to go further down the Chicago Power Pop slide with Material Issue and Off Broadway.

As far as recent power pop I'm not sure anyone is doing anything better than what our guy Jay Gonzales has done the last few years.
The Last Shadow Puppets w/ Alex Turner and Miles Kane

The Smithereens

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

That Sarah Shook KG started this thread aboutis really good BTW. I hear some Ronstadt/Stone Ponies in there somewhere. Maybe its just me......

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: If you're going with The Shoes you have to go further down the Chicago Power Pop slide with Material Issue and Off Broadway.
Material Issue for sure. Don't think I know off broadway. Will put 'em on the list to check out. Thanx.
Dean wrote:The Smithereens
That's because Rev Matt doesn't come round much anymore. He's a one man band for the smithereens.

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:The Mekons. I wrote about them in an AOTW so won't repeat it here.

Howard Tate and Paul Pena's first album. Id.

Eric Clapton - He seems to get a lot of grief on here if he's mentioned at all, and no doubt some of it is deserved. Hell, the guy's been making music for a million years, it can't all be great. But plenty of it undoubtedly is.

Al Green - I mean, come on, Al Green.

I don't suppose there's any point in listing all the great power pop that gets mostly ignored* around here, but here's a couple just for yucks: Teenage Fanclub, Velvet Crush and The Shoes.

*Matthew Sweet and Big Star excepted
As much as I hate to say it, when Clapton passes, those that have knocked him (mainly for his solo career) will have a change of heart about his contributions to music, much the same way folks did in regards to the Eagles when Glenn Frey passed. Death of prominent musicians has a profound way of changing one's perspective. A friend, who's a good deal older than me (he grew up in the era when Clapton was new) just wrote a wonderful review of Clapton's newest album, I Still Do, which I've posted below. This is the first I learned of his peripheral neuropathy diagnosis. Though I didn't grow up in the era of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, The Yardbirds or Cream, I started getting into music during the era immediately following that when those artists and "guitar heroes" like Clapton were highly revered. He was often mentioned in the same breath as Hendrix, Page, Beck, etc. In that regard, his impact on rock n' roll has been immeasurable. For whatever reason (maybe the largely less than stellar solo career) has caused Clapton's impact to be marginalized by more than a few.
For Father’s Day my daughter gave a copy of Eric Clapton’s latest CD, "I Still Do." There are twelve tracks, mostly covers, mostly blues. There are two songs from Clapton’s friend and collaborator J.J. Cale ("The Road to Escondido", "The Breeze, an Appreciation of J.J Cale"). There are blues classics from Leroy Carr, Skip James and Robert Johnson. I especially like Clapton’s rendition of Bob Dylan’s “I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine.” There is an interesting version of “I’ll Be Alright” which is the traditional song from which “We Shall Overcome” was morphed. There are two standards. The second one, which is the last song on the CD, is “I’ll Be Seeing You.” There are those who say this is Clapton’s farewell to his fans. He has been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and has developed incurable nerve damage which makes playing the guitar difficult. The one song solely written by Clapton is called “Catch the Blues” and has the repeated refrain, “Living in a world of pain.” Nevertheless, his impairment does not yet seem to have created any adverse effects. If you’re a Clapton fan, you certainly need to add this one to your collection. As a side note, Appalachian string music fans should know that Dirk Powell plays a prominent part of this collection of terrific music.
Though I love Los Lobos, I don't have a lot of their records. Like the original Little Feat before them (and some have even compared their status to the Grateful Dead and The Band), they're massively underrated. Like those bands, they have a devoted, loyal fanbase but have never really caught on with the masses (in the mainstream sense).

On the Power Pop tip, I believe the threads devoted to that here had a bit of traction but I may be remembering that wrong (looks like the first one went up to four pages). This is a link to the second one. I know what it is but it's another one of those genres (or subgenres) that isn't always so clearly defined and that tends to confuse people. At least that's been my experience.

linkous

Post by linkous »

"As much as I hate to say it, when Clapton passes, those that have knocked him (mainly for his solo career) will have a change of heart about his contributions to music, much the same way folks did in regards to the Eagles when Glenn Frey passed."

You want to bet me large amounts of money I never change my opinion about either of them?

Image Image

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

linkous wrote:"As much as I hate to say it, when Clapton passes, those that have knocked him (mainly for his solo career) will have a change of heart about his contributions to music, much the same way folks did in regards to the Eagles when Glenn Frey passed."

You want to bet me large amounts of money I never change my opinion about either of them?

Image Image
I couldn't care less how you feel about these musicians now, later or in the hereafter. But I do wonder why you're so proud of your attitude about it?

linkous

Post by linkous »

beantownbubba wrote:
linkous wrote:"As much as I hate to say it, when Clapton passes, those that have knocked him (mainly for his solo career) will have a change of heart about his contributions to music, much the same way folks did in regards to the Eagles when Glenn Frey passed."

Image Image
I couldn't care less how you feel about these musicians now, later or in the hereafter. But I do wonder why you're so proud of your attitude about it?
I dont need to justify anything to you BB, unless I havent read the rules properly. Kudzu made a sweeping statement, I replied to it.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I love Clapton. I'm even a fan of some of the 1980's poppy stuff.
I am like Kudzu, I am a Los Lobos fan but only own a couple records. That's my fault.

As far as who I'm surprised more 3DD folks aren't into........Kevin Gordon. Seems like he'd be right up the alley of most folks on here but I don't see him mentioned much. He is a top 5 current artist/band for me right now.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

linkous wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Image Image
I dont need to justify anything to you BB, unless I havent read the rules properly. Kudzu made a sweeping statement, I replied to it.
Chill out dude. Of course you don't need to justify anything to me. I asked you a question because I'm curious to hear the answer. Where I come from we call that conversation. Answer or don't answer as you like. But if you think I was pulling an attitude on you that's on you, not me.