Artist of the Week: 8.2.2010 - Phish

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

211poundsofpork

Re: Artist of the Week: 8.2.2010 - Phish

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Bunch of speculation for tonight's show. Powdered Donut, I believe. Anniv. of J.J. Cale's death. Could we get Cocaine and After Midnight (ahhhh, memories of that After Midnight in the Everglades during that New Years run in '99!)?

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

211poundsofpork wrote:Bunch of speculation for tonight's show. Powdered Donut, I believe. Anniv. of J.J. Cale's death. Could we get Cocaine and After Midnight (ahhhh, memories of that After Midnight in the Everglades during that New Years run in '99!)?
I was in the Everglades for that After Midnight as well. I had forgotten about them playing that. Early set closer on 12/31/99 before they played the midnight to sunrise set, right?

As evidenced by that 29.59 clocked Lawn Boy at Tuesday's "Jam Filled" Donut show, this run has been incredible!

No JJ Cale, which I thought would have been a fantastic touch, but they did Encore with a debut of Neil's "Powderfinger" :lol: They opened with a debut a Capella cover of the Fleet Foxes "White Winter Hymnal" as well. Even though the first set last night was laid back, it had some really strong jams. I'll take any set that has a Cars, Trucks and Buses, Roses are Free, Pebbles and Marbles, and the return of the first time that Tube has gone over 10 minutes in the past 14 years (clocking in at 14:34)
The second set of Carini>Mr. Completely>1999>Jam>Steam>No Quarter>Character Zero kind of speaks for itself I think. :D

I can't wait to board my plane tomorrow morning for the weekend in NYC. Tomorrow can't get here soon enough.
Last edited by Cubfan06 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

211poundsofpork

Awesome! Thank you Cubfan. This has to be the only extended version ever of Lawn Boy, no?

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

211poundsofpork wrote:Awesome! Thank you Cubfan. This has to be the only extended version ever of Lawn Boy, no?

211poundsofpork

Ok Cubfan, I've waited long enough for you to chime in (assuming you returned from you run, no?). I want details! Spill it. ;)

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

211poundsofpork wrote:Ok Cubfan, I've waited long enough for you to chime in (assuming you returned from you run, no?). I want details! Spill it. ;)
Hey man. It was an absolutely fantastic three night run at MSG. Much of the crowd were people in there 30's and 40's like ourselves. There were enough wooks to know that you were at a Phish show, however the wookery wasn't necessarily prominent. Since MSG doesn't have a defined parking lot scene, much of the shakedown was done at bars near the venue or in front of the venue. The crowd was just great though. Respectful, Intelligent, and Electric The electricity in that building was so raucous that you could literally feel the building shaking.
Finally the band looked like they were having as much fun last weekend than they did in '97. They had a huge smile on their face when they stepped to the mics for that a capella Chocolate Rain and that didn't stop until the surprising Wind Cries Mary encore on Sunday. I can't say it enough dude. Come out of retirement next summer for a show. You won't regret it. The crowd and the band are in a good place again.
Series of disjointed thoughts....
Obviously the Destiny Unbound in the first set of night 1 was an unexpected highlight. ( It's crazy that I've actually seen two of those bad boys, as they played it at Fenway '09 while I was there. ) Mike was the superstar of night #1 . Trey was clearly the MVP of night #2. And night #3 was tough to call. Page has an increased arsenal to work with and is better than he ever was....yes ever. ie) The end of I Am The Walrus took a dark turn and while playing he was laying down a vocal loop of Running With the Devil, Your Pet Cat, and The Birds at the same time. So trippy.
I don't know what it sounds like on recording yet, because I haven't had a chance to go back and listen to it. I admit, that attendance bias could come in to play. But set II of 7/29/17 has to be one of the best played sets that I have seen from them. I know on paper it doesn't necessarily look like a '97 or '98 set, but for the playing of those songs it packed a serious punch. During the Alumni Blues>Letter to Jimmy Page>Alumni Blues, Trey and Mike went literally face to face and kept exchanging solos.

Other than that, my body is finally starting to feel normal today. It was an awesome experience. Our crew is going to size up another destination multi-night run next year at a venue we hadn't had a chance to catch them at back in the day. The Gorge, Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, and Hampton are on the shortlist if available....although I digress.

PHISH, FRIDAY 07/28/2017
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
New York , NY

SET 1: Chocolate Rain[1], Ass Handed, Free, Weigh > Undermind > The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony, The Dogs > Destiny Unbound, Divided Sky, Things People Do, Sand

SET 2: Have Mercy, Chalk Dust Torture [2], You Sexy Thing[3] > Mercury -> You Sexy Thing > Backwards Down the Number Line > Rock and Roll

ENCORE: Fee[4], Space Oddity
[1] Phish debut; a cappella, with Page on a midi controller keyboard.
[2] Unfinished.
[3] Phish debut.
[4] Lyrics changed to "have a chocolate donut and catch your breath

PHISH, SATURDAY 07/29/2017
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
New York , NY

SET 1: Llama, Wilson > Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan > Ya Mar, Tela, The Birds > The Line, Water in the Sky, Vultures > Train Song > Horn, I Am the Walrus

SET 2: Blaze On > Twenty Years Later > Alumni Blues > Letter to Jimmy Page > Alumni Blues > Meatstick > Dirt > Harry Hood

ENCORE: Cinnamon Girl

PHISH, SUNDAY 07/30/2017
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
New York , NY

SET 1: The Curtain With > Runaway Jim, Waking Up Dead, Esther, Home, Brian and Robert, Nellie Kane, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird > David Bowie

SET 2: Drowned > A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing , Harpua > Also Sprach Zarathustra[1] > Golgi Apparatus, In The Good Old Summer Time

ENCORE: The Wind Cries Mary[2]
[1] With donut references.
[2] Phish debut.

In addition here is a pretty solid Type II Chalkdust Torture from the first night, which I feel does a pretty good job of exemplifying the energy in at MSG that night.

211poundsofpork

Hey, thanks! Pretty in depth enough for me. Sounds like you had a great time! I've been setlist watching since the MSG run started and it has been fun to reminisce. Loved the "Lawnboy" you posted earlier. Seriously thinking about buying the whole run on disc. As for going to a show again- we shall see. I am not saying it is out of the question. Maybe I'll get in touch with one of my old Phish buddies again whom I went with to most of the 60 shows I've seen from 10/18/96 to IT in 2003. He has asked me a bunch of times since then if I would like to go to a certain show but I have always turned it down.

How many donut flavors are left? Obviously 4, but I have no clue what flavors they could do. They should just do a Zappa flavored donut and do the entire Joe's Garage album and get it over with, if you ask me. :mrgreen:

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

211poundsofpork wrote:Hey, thanks! Pretty in depth enough for me. Sounds like you had a great time! I've been setlist watching since the MSG run started and it has been fun to reminisce. Loved the "Lawnboy" you posted earlier. Seriously thinking about buying the whole run on disc. As for going to a show again- we shall see. I am not saying it is out of the question. Maybe I'll get in touch with one of my old Phish buddies again whom I went with to most of the 60 shows I've seen from 10/18/96 to IT in 2003. He has asked me a bunch of times since then if I would like to go to a certain show but I have always turned it down.

How many donut flavors are left? Obviously 4, but I have no clue what flavors they could do. They should just do a Zappa flavored donut and do the entire Joe's Garage album and get it over with, if you ask me. :mrgreen:
Donut holes tonight
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll