RIP Prince

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: RIP Prince

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Iowan wrote:Starfish and Coffee has always been my favorite Prince song.
great song from a great great album
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Smitty wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:damn, I held it together til I got to Purple Rain (song)

Yeah, I'm nowhere near a really big Prince fan compared to some of y'all (although when I was younger I was obsessed with him for awhile), but I've always dug the shit out of him and kind of taken his music for granted.

I think I mentioned in my Gary Stewart AOTW thread that "Purple Rain" was a staple in the bars I for all intents and purposes grew up in. I've got a ton of memories tied up in that song. I'm not saying it's his best or anything, but I when I heard earlier today I put it on and it slaughtered me.

I didn't shed a tear when Merle died although I listened to him 10x more than Prince. I felt gutted... but I literally haven't been able to listen to a whole Prince song today without my throat lumping up. A coworker today couldn't understand it and I couldn't explain why when certain musicians (who I've never met) die it affects me more than when some people I actually know die.
Totally get what you said. Big fan of both artists, but Merle was just a bit older than my dad and had been in bad health for a long time. His passing was a gut punch but in no way a surprise. Prince was just 7 years older than me, so it was like having a friend who was in good health until two weeks ago suddenly die. If you had put a good to my head and made me pick, I would have said I would go before Prince.

shifting gears, I can't decide which is crazier: (1) Prince was on New Girl, or (2) my wife and I ever actually watched New Girl (we did, first two seasons- at least for me I had the excuse of watching because of Zoe)

whatwouldcooleydo?

I had this fantasy that I would be in Las Vegas at a time in which both Prince and Santana were doing their respective residencies and that they would do an entire set together with me in the house to see it. Hearing Prince tear up some of the classic early Santana would have been to die for. I always believed that Carlos was as much of an influence on Prince as was Hendrix

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I'm speechless. Another 1 of my main idols passes this year (the other being Bowie). I was late getting the news as I was in chemo yesterday. My friend texted me but I had my phone off until I got home. This hits pretty hard as he was only 2 years older than me. I was into him pretty early, getting real into it around "1999". I saw several memorable shows starting with the "Purple Rain" tour. The best one was a surprise club show in Vegas. Spendy but ultimately 1 of the greatest shows I ever saw. It was 3 hour funk party with Prince in a small venue. RIP Prince, you will be missed.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Too sad for words. RIP. We were basically of the same vintage but if you wanna get technical about it, he was younger than I am. Sucks.

Got a text from my #1 son thanking me for dragging him to a Prince show a number of years ago.

Jonicont, did you see him at the Ritz way back when? That was the first time I saw him and while it wasn't life changing it blew my musical mind in a way that has never really been duplicated. I remember reading that Voice article :). But "Elvis Costello w/ wit?"

The guy did pretty much what he wanted to do whenever he wanted to do it, musically and otherwise and was certainly prolific so there's plenty of music to remember him by. But I'll always regret the same thing I've regretted about his career for many, many years: I wish he had someone, band mate(s), producer, co-writer, whatever, to rein in the excesses and push him towards sounds we've never heard and now will never hear. The guy could do anything.

Thanks for all the clips, folks. I look forward to listening/watching over the coming days.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

speaking of clips, have you seen the one of Prince playing Bowie's "Heroes" at his last show? I don't know how to post it here so I put it on my facebook page. I definitely recommend seeking it out, there or elsewhere. Typical cellphone from the cheap seats quality but it comes through loud and clear anyway.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

First Avenue hosts all-night dance party to honor Prince

http://www.startribune.com/first-avenue ... 6619781/#1

some cool pics here
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

From Doug Wray, a musician friend of mine from college:

"I was a bit late in hearing Prince... I was working in a record store in Cambridge, Mass. and got exposed to the "Purple Rain" soundtrack there. After a few listens, I began to realize that I hadn't been this impressed by pure creativity and imagination since the end of the Beatles. I became a huge fan... no, more than a fan... an awestruck listener.
Name another person with his radical creativity, real virtuosity on multiple instruments, command of recording techniques, versatile vocal ability, MTV-era image manipulation, showmanship, and pop music songwriting savvy. I can't think of anyone. Not one other person.
R.I.P."

"People are going to think I'm pretentious, or just nuts, but Prince's craftsmanship and attention to detail always reminded me of another of my heroes, Igor Stravinsky.
I can't remember which it is, but there's a song on "1999", I think, where Prince creates tension in the intro by noticeably increasing the reverb on the snare drum on the third bar, and then bringing it back down for the fourth. I mean, that's genius stuff right there."

"Just a bit more about Prince.
For me, the appeal was really much more than being entertained by someone who knew how to create excellent commercial product, or being impressed by extreme facility... it was the rare delight I felt witnessing a genius mind being playful.
I think just about every musician I know had the same feeling about Prince."

John A Arkansawyer

Tune in RIGHT NOW! They're playing some live stuff Prince personally sent them.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

I'm not going to say exactly how much older Prince was than me--oh, hell, I guess I am, am I not?--so I am going to live the next seven days as fully as I possibly can.

John A Arkansawyer

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tune in RIGHT NOW! They're playing some live stuff Prince personally sent them.
I think they're done for now, but tonight at SIX, they are doing to start playing all the records, from A to W (no X, Y, or Z titles in the catalog). I'm curious to hear how they bleep Bob George...or if they decide to throw caution to the winds and run it in all its profane glory.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I was lucky enough to see Prince five times over the years. The show I saw at the Rio in Vegas 2007 when he was doing his residency was probably the best concert I've ever seen. (it was also my 30th birthday)-It was this in the round dinner type theater, Maceo Parker on sax, I think Sheila E was playing drums.. the whole band was just tremendous. He came on at 2:30 and played till 6 am. What a night! On stage, the man was half James Brown, half Jimi Hendrix. That son of a bitch was laying down the smoothest dance moves, the most shredding guitar solos all while orchestrating the band. It was truly a thing of beauty.

I was also lucky enough to attend two of the four theater shows he did with 3rd Eye Girl at the 1600 person Ogden here in Denver a few years back. The second show we caught was the final of the four and may well be the second best show I've ever seen. About half way through he puts down his guitar, brings a bunch of girls up on stage, gets behind the keyboards and starts DJing this Prince greatest hits dance party. The place went insane.

Aside from his song writing and guitar playing, the thing I'll always dig about Prince was he did it his way. He never stopped playing music and he never compromised. The fact that the industry and media paid him that huge respect of letting him be Prince is all you need to say. He was that highly regarded. He was his own thing.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I saw Pearl Jam in Columbia SC last night and Eddie Vedder talked about Prince before the band played "Light Years" in tribute to him.

Here's them doing "Yellow Ledbetter" with Mike McCready doing some "Purple Rain" in the latter part of the song.

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

whatwouldcooleydo?

watching the sheriff's press conference regarding Prince and I just had a total, eerie flashback to 1997 and the same kind of press conference for Elvis. I was 11 then and remember it clearly

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Only saw him once, in 2004 on the Musicology tour--first record after Warner Brothers. Hands down the best across the board musicianship show I've ever seen. Looked up the setlist. Holy shit. And Morris Day opened for him. What a night.

Musicology
Let's Go Crazy
I Would Die 4 U
When Doves Cry
Baby I'm a Star
Shhh
D.M.S.R.
A Love Bizarre
The Glamorous Life
I Feel for You
Controversy
Georgia on My Mind
Sometimes It Snows in April
Little Red Corvette
Peach
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Alphabet St.
When Will We Be Payed
17 Days
Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)
On the Couch
Raspberry Beret
Sign “☮” the Times
Pop Life
Let's Work
Lopsy Lu
U Got the Look
Life 'O' the Party
Soul Man
Kiss
Take Me With U

Encore:
The Beautiful Ones
Nothing Compares 2 U
Purple Rain
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Markalanbishop wrote:Only saw him once, in 2004 on the Musicology tour--first record after Warner Brothers. Hands down the best across the board musicianship show I've ever seen. Looked up the setlist. Holy shit. And Morris Day opened for him. What a night.

Musicology
Let's Go Crazy
I Would Die 4 U
When Doves Cry
Baby I'm a Star
Shhh
D.M.S.R.
A Love Bizarre
The Glamorous Life
I Feel for You
Controversy
Georgia on My Mind
Little Red Corvette
Peach
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Alphabet St.
When Will We Be Payed
17 Days
Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)
On the Couch
Raspberry Beret
Sign “☮” the Times
Pop Life
Let's Work
Lopsy Lu
U Got the Look
Life 'O' the Party
Soul Man
Kiss
Take Me With U

Encore:
The Beautiful Ones
Nothing Compares 2 U
Purple Rain
That was the last tour I saw as well, my show was at Arco Arena in Sacramento September 3, 2004. We still talk about how awesome that night was. Setlist below

Musicology
Let's Go Crazy
I Would Die 4 U
When Doves Cry
Baby I'm a Star
Shhh
D.M.S.R.
A Love Bizarre (Sheila E. cover) (Instrumental)
The Glamorous Life (Sheila E. cover) (Instrumental)
I Feel for You
Controversy
Georgia on My Mind (Hoagy Carmichael cover)

Solo guitar set
Little Red Corvette
Cream
Adore
Alphabet St.
On the Couch
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (The Rolling Stones cover)

Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
Call My Name
Let's Work
Lopsy Lu (Stanley Clarke cover)
U Got the Look
Life 'O' the Party
Knock on Wood (Eddie Floyd cover)
Kiss
Take Me With U

Encore:
The Beautiful Ones
Nothing Compares 2 U
Purple Rain

whatwouldcooleydo?

Electric word life
It means forever and that's a mighty long time
But I'm here to tell you
There's something else
The after world

John A Arkansawyer

Purple Reign: Hear Prince's catalogue starting at 6 p.m. CDT Friday

Tonight at SIX, they are doing to start playing all the songs, from A to W (no X, Y, or Z titles in the catalog). Then they're going to do it again.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Beebs wrote:This makes me happy

The awesome starts around 3:20 if you're impatient.
everything about this is just perfect. Dhani Harrison the living, breathing embodiment of his father, Jeff Lynne singing, one of my favorite songs ever, and then Prince says "sit down in that chair right there and let me show ya how's it's done!!!" His guitarface on this is priceless. And then he throws the Telecaster up and it never seems to come down..... I choose to think George reached down and snagged it

the only thing missing is the maniacal Ray Cooper goin' all berserker on a gong

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Last night I saw Old Crow Medicine Show and Margo Price at the Georgia Theatre in Athens. The last song of the night was OCMS and Price doing "Purple Rain" together. I couldn't find a clip of that performance but I did find one from Huntsville, AL which is linked below.

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Glad I watched that before the Fun Police got involved.
Now it's dark.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:

I was pretty shocked it was even up in the first place :roll:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Markalanbishop wrote:Image
C'mon, c'mon, let's twerk together

John A Arkansawyer

Flea wrote:

I was pretty shocked it was even up in the first place :roll:
From Twitter:
Wonderella wrote:Pour 7 out 4 my greatest opponent! (Meanwhile, Ted Nugent has 100 goddamn horcruxes all over the place).

whatwouldcooleydo?

I bought and have Crystal Ball and it's alright :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?