Take The Money And Run (Pt. 2)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Dean

Re: Take The Money And Run (Pt. 2)

Post by Dean »

I'm a casual fan of their earlier work, and have even seen a show, but there is selling out and there is what the Keys did, which is some next level shit. You couldn't turn on the tv for two solid years without hearing Gold On the Ceiling on some program, sports show, or commercial or other. I'm all for artists making money when and how they can, and it's certainly their right. Also, my right to call bullshit at some point, if it's ok with smitty. Also, not for nothing, but the points TC make are well taken and the sell out quotient only exacerbates them. Lesser douches get more leeway, imo

besides, it was a joke.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

I always love the running feud between Jack White and them. Self-important preening derivative asshole vs. self-important preening derivative assholes.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

lotusamerica wrote:I always love the running feud between Jack White and them. Self-important preening derivative asshole vs. self-important preening derivative assholes.
Self-important preening derivative asshole on self-important preening derivative asshole crime
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

lotusamerica wrote:I always love the running feud between Jack White and them. Self-important preening derivative asshole vs. self-important preening derivative assholes.
Can't argue there, but Jack White has at least made some decent records and Van Lear Rose. He brought us Margo Price as well but I'm still mixed on that one.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Black Keys had a great run of albums early, but I haven't enjoyed their last two very much.

Jack White was smart enough to drop the White Stripes moniker and do something else when his musical aspirations changed
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:
Can't argue there, but Jack White has at least made some decent records and Van Lear Rose. He brought us Margo Price as well but I'm still mixed on that one.
I'll take Dexter Romweber, the original at their games, any day of the week. Flat Duo Jets ftw.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Smitty wrote:
I'll take Dexter Romweber, the original at their games, any day of the week. Flat Duo Jets ftw.
Wow, a Dex mention! Good ol' North Cackilacky boy. Saw the Jets a bunch in Chapel Hill and a few times in Asheville. Loved that band though haven't heard them in ages. Thanks for the blast from the past!

And might as well mention his sister Sara, who was in Let's Active with Mitch Easter
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

They released an album together a couple of years ago which was amongst my top 10 that year.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Smitty wrote:
Every time I bring Romweber up re: Jack White someone reminds me that White acknowledges the Flat Duo Jets as a major influence, so that should count for something. Auerbach won't even acknowledge that the Stripes were an influence which all things considered I see no way around that fact.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I still can't believe I vetoed opening for Flat Duo Jets because they were on a major label. That was really stupid on my part, especially since it was in 1992 and not 1983 or something.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:[Wow, a Dex mention! Good ol' North Cackilacky boy. Saw the Jets a bunch in Chapel Hill and a few times in Asheville. Loved that band though haven't heard them in ages. Thanks for the blast from the past!

And might as well mention his sister Sara, who was in Let's Active with Mitch Easter
Let's Active did a one-off reunion for a cancer benefit at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC a couple years ago. Their first gig in something like 30 years.

Dean

Post by Dean »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Smitty wrote:
I love Dex, seen him many times while in school at UNC and since, but Jack has done far more than just the WS/Flat Duo Jets type stuff.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

The Black Keys did a Junior kimbrough tribute album. I respect them a great deal for that.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

jr29 wrote:The Black Keys did a Junior kimbrough tribute album. I respect them a great deal for that.
I did not know that. It certainly gives them a few points in my book!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Yes, but he built his career on copping the Jets style. He did transcend that though.
I think Jack's made some good records, maybe even a couple great ones. He also has a pretty good track record of supporting talented artist and seems to genuinely give a shit about the music in the face of commerce, which is admirable, especially in this day and age.. But personally I think the fact that he and Dave Grohl are seen as the de facto "ambassadors" of modern rock is a sad statement on modern popular rock. Not that White & Grohl aren't talented, but compared to those before them... I guess I should include Auerbach in that group too but I cant bring myself to do it. I think Auerbach is also obviously talented (although Black Keys albums are at best uneven and many are unlistenable) and has good taste in the artists he produces as well, but in every interview or write-up about them I've read, he & Carney come off as two terribly arrogant douchebags. I can deal with douchey artists if the music is good enough but nothing the Keys have done is good enough to forgive their attitudes. And trust me, I've tried harder to like the Black Keys than I probably have any artist and even tried to trick myself into understanding the hooplah around them but I can't do it.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
jr29 wrote:The Black Keys did a Junior kimbrough tribute album. I respect them a great deal for that.
To me, I loathe anything past Brothers. The Junior Kimbrough "tribute": Chulahoma is still top notch in my book.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

211poundsofpork wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
To me, I loathe anything past Brothers. The Junior Kimbrough "tribute": Chulahoma is still top notch in my book.
El Camino had a few good tracks, but it also had "Gold on the Ceiling", which was everywhere and grew tiresome. Turn Blue is just awful and should've been an Auerbach solo album instead of a Black Keys record
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever