Chris Robinson Brotherhood

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: Chris Robinson Brotherhood

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image
I’m listening on audiobook. It’s entertaining to say the least.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Iowan wrote:
Mine arrived on Wednesday but haven't started it. Deciding whether to make it take its place at the bottom of the "to be read" hillock or bump it to the top.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Keep us posted about the book. Saw that it was coming out a coupla months ago and figure this could be an interesting read.

211poundsofpork

Surviving members of CRB (incl. MacDougall) reunited to play at a Neal Casal tribute/benefit at the Capitol Theater Wed. They did Forever Young, Loving Cup, Star or Stone, A Smiling Epitaph, and Mandolin Wind. Greg Loiacono filled in on guitar.

whatwouldcooleydo?

211poundsofpork wrote:Surviving members of CRB (incl. MacDougall) reunited to play at a Neal Casal tribute/benefit at the Capitol Theater Wed. They did Forever Young, Loving Cup, Star or Stone, A Smiling Epitaph, and Mandolin Wind. Greg Loiacono filled in on guitar.
here's the entire stream, over 5 hours. CRB comes in around 4:27 mark

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Mine arrived on Wednesday but haven't started it. Deciding whether to make it take its place at the bottom of the "to be read" hillock or bump it to the top.
I bumped it to the top of the hillock :lol: Read the majority Friday night and then mopped up the remainder this morning. Loved it but as a huge Crowes guy it left me angry and sad and full of "what might have been." Well-written with a ton of tales to tell, I highly recommend it for anyone with interest in the band. And in what will come as no surprise to anyone familiar with them, the brothers Robinson are world-class pieces of work. They may even come off worse than you thought going in, and that takes some doing

211poundsofpork

I'd probably feel angry and sad after reading that just like you. The Crowes have had moments of pure rockin' sickness and then they just frustrate you with the b.s. I will check this book out though...
Speaking of Gorman, I see he's revived Trigger Hippy. New tracks are on Spotify and don't sound half-bad.

whatwouldcooleydo?

211poundsofpork wrote:I'd probably feel angry and sad after reading that just like you. The Crowes have had moments of pure rockin' sickness and then they just frustrate you with the b.s. I will check this book out though...
Speaking of Gorman, I see he's revived Trigger Hippy. New tracks are on Spotify and don't sound half-bad.
Great passage from the book:

Give us a head start and a full tank of gas. and we'll drive right into the fucking ditch. We'll fight about who caused the crash, and we'll fight about who's gonna fix it, and we'll fight about who is gonna get credit for fixing it, but then somehow, against all odds, at the last possible second, we'll get back on the track and almost win that fucking race. Almost.

On a good day, it's not every day,
We can part the sea
And on a bad day, it's not every day,
Glory beyond our reach

211poundsofpork

...yeah, that just about says it all.

whatwouldcooleydo?

The real reason Jimmy Page bailed on that tour with the Crowes will infuriate you to no fuckin' end :roll: :roll: :roll:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:The real reason Jimmy Page bailed on that tour with the Crowes will infuriate you to no fuckin' end :roll: :roll: :roll:
I really couldn’t figure out what it was. He implies it was Chris, but I thought it seemed insinuated more than outright stated.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:The real reason Jimmy Page bailed on that tour with the Crowes will infuriate you to no fuckin' end :roll: :roll: :roll:
I really couldn’t figure out what it was. He implies it was Chris, but I thought it seemed insinuated more than outright stated.
Have you finished the book? It's clear as day, and let's just say it wasn't Chris. I think you said you were doing the audiobook, but in the physical book it's explicit on page 311-313. I love how Gorman calls the "reason" "that fucking imbecile, that stupid cocksucker, that raging grease fire of a human being."

If I only had $1 for every time I've been called that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:
Have you finished the book? It's clear as day, and let's just say it wasn't Chris. I think you said you were doing the audiobook, but in the physical book it's explicit on page 311-313. I love how Gorman calls the "reason" "that fucking imbecile, that stupid cocksucker, that raging grease fire of a human being."

I just got to it. Holy fucking shit. Gorman left it hanging a few chapters back.

Wow.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
Iowan wrote: I really couldn’t figure out what it was. He implies it was Chris, but I thought it seemed insinuated more than outright stated.

I just got to it. Holy fucking shit. Gorman left it hanging a few chapters back.

Wow.
We had tickets for the two-day thing he mentioned- Crowes & Page one day, The Who the next. Not getting Crowes & Page was, needless to day, a massive disapointment. At least we got the Who and they were awesome. They came back to the same venue less than two years later, playing what was the second show just days after Entwistle had died.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Had tickets to see The Who and The Black Crowes with Jimmy Page at Madison Square Garden. After the Crowes canceled we got Jakob Dylan's band instead. The Mets were in the playoffs and we watched the game waiting for The Who to come on on a small tv in one of the snack bars at MSG.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

whatwouldcooleydo?

From this book I learned that there was a time where it looked like Neal Casal was gonna be a Black Crowe.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:From this book I learned that there was a time where it looked like Neal Casal was gonna be a Black Crowe.
Based on the description of Rich and his tastes, and Gorman's distaste for the Dead thing, I don't think that would have lasted long.

Of course, nothing really did in that band.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:From this book I learned that there was a time where it looked like Neal Casal was gonna be a Black Crowe.
Based on the description of Rich and his tastes, and Gorman's distaste for the Dead thing, I don't think that would have lasted long.

True on both points, but as the book illustrates, what Gorman did or didn't like didn't mean much to the brothers. Plus, at the time he was considered to join the Dead thing wasn't a big outward component of his playing. He was always a big fan, but up to that point his stint in the Cardinals was really the only time that the Dead came out in his playing, and that seems more Ryan than him. From his earlier solo work you'd really get no indication that he'd ever even listened to the GD, much less was influenced by them

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:

True on both points, but as the book illustrates, what Gorman did or didn't like didn't mean much to the brothers. Plus, at the time he was considered to join the Dead thing wasn't a big outward component of his playing. He was always a big fan, but up to that point his stint in the Cardinals was really the only time that the Dead came out in his playing, and that seems more Ryan than him. From his earlier solo work you'd really get no indication that he'd ever even listened to the GD, much less was influenced by them
Interesting. I'm definitely not that familiar with his solo work, and know him mostly from RA, CRB, and HWA.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Interesting. I'm definitely not that familiar with his solo work, and know him mostly from RA, CRB, and HWA.
I really dig his early solo records. They have a really good LA/Topanga/Laurel Canyon vibe to them. If forced to name an influence, I'd go with Jackson Browne from his glory years, which IMO are pretty fucking glorious. Lots of subtle Beach Boys influence as well, though by no means overt