RIP David Bowie

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: RIP David Bowie

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
Iowan wrote:Major Tom has stepped through the door.

This seems like the first of the legends to go out as an elder statesman (Entwhistle was older, but died in a very "rock and roll" fashion).

I don't wanna to derail this thread, but I think Lou Reed would have something to say about that.

Speaking of which, a year ago we had Bowie and Lou. The world is remarkably less cool today.
That had crossed my mind after I wrote it.

I guess I put Bowie on a little higher tier of legend, if only due to increased mainstream popularity (while maintaining a similar critical cred).

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:Heroes
TVC15
Suffragette City
Golden Years
Young Americans

Honorable mention: Ashes to Ashes, Changes, China Girl, Rebel Rebel, Fashion
Heroes
Suffragette City
Life on Mars?
Rebel Rebel
Ziggy Stardust

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

shit, i forgot all about this:
Bowie Bonds[edit]
Bowie Bonds are asset-backed securities of current and future revenues of the 25 albums (287 songs) that David Bowie recorded before 1990. Bowie Bonds were pioneered in 1997 by rock and roll investment banker David Pullman.[1] Issued in 1997, the bonds were bought for US$55 million by the Prudential Insurance Company of America.[2][3] The bonds paid an interest rate of 7.9% and had an average life of ten years,[4] a higher rate of return than a 10-year Treasury note (at the time, 6.37%).[3] Royalties from the 25 albums generated the cash flow that secured the bonds' interest payments.[5] Prudential also received guarantees from Bowie's label, EMI Records, which had recently signed a $30m deal with Bowie.[3] By forfeiting ten years worth of royalties, David Bowie was able to receive a payment of US$55 million up front. Bowie used this income to buy songs owned by his former manager.[4] Bowie's combined catalog of albums covered by this agreement sold more than 1 million copies annually at the time of the agreement.[3] However, by March 2004, Moody's Investors Service lowered the bonds from an A3 rating (the seventh highest rating) to Baa3, one notch above junk status.[6][7] The downgrade was prompted by lower-than-expected revenue "due to weakness in sales for recorded music" and that an unnamed company guaranteed the issue.[8]

The Bowie bonds liquidated in 2007 as originally planned, without default, and the rights to the income from the songs reverted to David Bowie.[9]

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:The bonds paid an interest rate of 7.9% and had an average life of ten years,[4] a higher rate of return than a 10-year Treasury note (at the time, 6.37%)
Of course the bonds paid more interest than equivalent length maturity treasury bonds!!! What's amazing that they paid less than 2 points higher (if they sold for face value, which I don't know about). I'm guessing that the author writes more about music than s/he does about finance :lol:

I don't remember if Bowie was the first to do this but he was surely one of the first and as always, was at the head of the innovation pack.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

This seldom heard early version of "It's No Game" seems very appropriate today.

Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

01.11.16 WARREN HAYNES REFLECTS ON THE PASSING OF DAVID BOWIE

"I only had 2 experiences with David Bowie and in both cases he showed himself to be a very nice, genuine person. The first was at the Bridge Benefit in 1996 at Shoreline Amphiteater where he was one of the guests performing a rare acoustic set. For 2 days I observed him sitting side stage, intently and enthusiastically watching every performance by every act and chatting with whomever approached him - never retreating to the comfort and security of his dressing room. We had a nice conversation on one of the days but it's really the next encounter that stands out in my mind.

Fast forward a few years:

My friend Kevn Kinney and myself were walking down the street in New York City when a taxi pulls up and I hear someone call my name. It turned out to be my friend Reeves Gabrels who I only casually knew at that time. He was working in a recording studio close by producing the new (at that time) David Bowie record and invited us to stop by and say "hi". We spent the first 20 minutes or so in the cutting room, checking out the gear and talking, as musicians do, about guitars and amps etc. David poked his head in the room and asked if we would like to hear some mixes of the songs they were working on in the control room. "Of course" I replied, wanting to hear the new music, but also, having been on the other end of the same situation, not wanting to overstay our welcome. He played us one song, then another, both of which I enjoyed very much-very fresh and new but still possessing the Bowie signature stamp. I thanked him for his hospitality and we stood up to leave to which he replied "would you like to hear another one?". This went on for several more songs till we had heard 6 or 7 of the new tunes. Feeling a little guilty I finally said we should be on our way and we started heading for the door. As we were about to walk out he asks me (because of my affiliation with the Allman Brothers) if I'm from Macon, Georgia. I tell him "no, I'm from North Carolina" but the conversation turns to Little Richard, who is from Macon, and who is one of Bowie's favorite all-time artists. I tell him the story of how Gov't Mule had our picture taken in front of the building in Macon that used to be an all-black club called Miss Ann's. He was obviously familiar with the Little Richard song MISS ANN (written about the woman who ran the club) and starts singing it and telling us how he learned every sax solo from every Little Richard record, note for note. Reeves chimes in that sometimes when they are hanging out, drinking late at night, they will put on old vinyl recordings of Little Richard and David would sing and play the sax solos.

By now, I'm really feeling like we're taking up too much of their time-even though, truthfully I could have stayed all night. I thank him again and we head out in to the streets of New York City-worlds away from where we just were, caught up in some Forest Gump moment. I pinch myself sometimes, having had many of these sort of moments, but this one will stand out in my mind.

David Bowie was a major contributor to the world of Rock and Roll and his loss is a big one. He was also, from my perspective, based on those 2 encounters, a genuine human being."

- Warren Haynes
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Iowan wrote:
oilpiers wrote:
Iowan wrote:Major Tom has stepped through the door.

This seems like the first of the legends to go out as an elder statesman (Entwhistle was older, but died in a very "rock and roll" fashion).
John was 57. He was born before Bowie, if thats what you mean, but so was Lennon.
I just meant he was an "old" guy in general at the point he died. Wouldn't say that about Lennon.

Probably not the best choice of words.
OK. So how then was Entwhistle older? That was my point, not Lennon.

tinnitus photography

20 Bowie songs you don't know but should, according to The Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/j ... but-should

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

I am so sad about this.

Nobody comes close to Bowie.

He was my first concert, at age 14, with Iggy Pop opening. It was the Serious Moonlight tour, supporting Let's Dance and it was the beginning of a lifetime of rock shows for me. Somehow I managed to score 2 seats on the floor in row H, 8 rows back from the stage. I was desperate to go and there was no talking me out of it. In retrospect it was one of the smartest things I could have done at that age. It was incredible. The band sounded amazing, the set-list spanned the years and Bowie... there really are no words... that voice and the way he presented himself on that tour and so close. He was matinee idol stunning and he radiated wit and charm. Iggy Pop was pretty cool too, but Bowie... wow. No wonder I'm so difficult to impress. You see something like that at 14 and it's like, "Okay, what's next?"

Since then, I've seen him live 2 other times, read at least one biography, watched countless interviews, videos and movies and listened to his songs and records. Not all has resonated with me, but that doesn't matter. I've never cared. He was an artist in the truest form, ultimately creative, constantly evolving and a courageous risk taker. I'm kind of glad I even hated some stuff. It's more real that way; the full emotional experience.

I am also so happy and thankful that the "David Bowie Is..." exhibit came through Toronto recently. Originally from the V & A, it's a massive and breathtaking tribute to the man, his songs, voice, films, plays, antics, painting, directing, set design, financial acumen, scribbles, costume design, poetry, wit, bone structure, kindness, politics, the Mick Ronson guitar sound, the endless influencing, everything. I spent a few hours there and shed a few tears, being moved by the shear magnitude of brilliance, talent, versatility and creativity. I can't imagine that a truer and more complete renaissance man ever existed. The show is in Holland right now. If you ever have the chance to see it, do not miss it.

There was a text of the news waiting for me when I woke up yesterday. I was like, "Well for my entire life I've shared the planet with the greatest artist who ever lived and now I don't.' For a second, I was like, "Oh kay, settle down with the hysterical hyperbole," which is kinda my usual go to, if I'm being self-aware... " But you know, it might not be such an exaggeration . He may actually have been one of the greatest artists who ever lived. I think anyone who saw that V & A exhibit would be hard pressed to deny that that's arguable. I spent the morning thinking, 'How can I effectively compare him to DaVinci or Shakespeare or whoever else? I mean it really doesn't matter. They were all amazing and we're incomprehensibly lucky to have all of their work. But Bowie was a fucking giant and deserves to be remembered as such.

Because of David Bowie, I did cool things, like visit Berlin, with my best friend and boyfriend, while the wall was still firmly up. We just wanted to hang out where Bowie, Iggy Pop and Lou Reed spent their 'Berlin years." Being there while the wall was still up was a pretty cool experience, if a bit of a blur. That place was wild, like an unregulated Amsterdam; anyone could do whatever they wanted in the west and in the east it was like walking into a very tense time warp, guarded by Dolf Lundgren look-alikes, in leather trench coats.

As for my favourite songs... all the hits are wonderful of course and I love them all, with my ultimate fave hits being Diamond Dogs and Rebel Rebel, but there's so much more to it than that. Panic in Detroit, Always Crashing in the Same Car, Oh You Pretty Things (everything on Hunky Dory, really), Sound and Vision, Queen Bitch, Five Years, Rock n Roll Suicide, Under Pressure,the Queen collaboration ... Something fantastic and obscure, over-looked or forgotten about is always popping up. This new stuff seems pretty great. The videos were actually too upsetting for me before he died. I couldn't deal with the symbolism of him in the blindfold and buttons (because I didn't know at the time that what they represented would be true in like 2 days). But now I've seen most of it and it is really good. It was still upsetting but I had to watch it. Eventually I will see as much as possible. When someone creates great art, it must be observed and I could never disregard his work.

RIP coolest person I ever shared a planet with. I was really hoping you were going to stick around for another 20 or so years.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Reasoning behind Blackstar album title?

http://www.factmag.com/2016/01/12/david ... er-lesion/

linkous

Post by linkous »

PonyGirl wrote:I am so sad about this.

He was my first concert, at age 14, with Iggy Pop opening. It was the Serious Moonlight tour, supporting Let's Dance and it was the beginning of a lifetime of rock shows for me. Somehow I managed to score 2 seats on the floor in row H, 8 rows back from the stage. I was desperate to go and there was no talking me out of it. In retrospect it was one of the smartest things I could have done at that age. It was incredible. The band sounded amazing, the set-list spanned the years and Bowie... there really are no words... that voice and the way he presented himself on that tour and so close. He was matinee idol stunning and he radiated wit and charm. Iggy Pop was pretty cool too, but Bowie... wow. No wonder I'm so difficult to impress. You see something like that at 14 and it's like, "Okay, what's next?"

Since then, I've seen him live 2 other times, read at least one biography, watched countless interviews, videos and movies and listened to his songs and records. Not all has resonated with me, but that doesn't matter. I've never cared. He was an artist in the truest form, ultimately creative, constantly evolving and a courageous risk taker. I'm kind of glad I even hated some stuff. It's more real that way; the full emotional experience.

I am also so happy and thankful that the "David Bowie Is..." exhibit came through Toronto recently. Originally from the V & A, it's a massive and breathtaking tribute to the man, his songs, voice, films, plays, antics, painting, directing, set design, financial acumen, scribbles, costume design, poetry, wit, bone structure, kindness, politics, the Mick Ronson guitar sound, the endless influencing, everything. I spent a few hours there and shed a few tears, being moved by the shear magnitude of brilliance, talent, versatility and creativity. I can't imagine that a truer and more complete renaissance man ever existed. The show is in Holland right now. If you ever have the chance to see it, do not miss it.

There was a text of the news waiting for me when I woke up yesterday. I was like, "Well for my entire life I've shared the planet with the greatest artist who ever lived and now I don't.' For a second, I was like, "Oh kay, settle down with the hysterical hyperbole," which is kinda my usual go to, if I'm being self-aware... " But you know, it might not be such an exaggeration . He may actually have been one of the greatest artists who ever lived. I think anyone who saw that V & A exhibit would be hard pressed to deny that that's arguable. I spent the morning thinking, 'How can I effectively compare him to DaVinci or Shakespeare or whoever else? I mean it really doesn't matter. They were all amazing and we're incomprehensibly lucky to have all of their work. But Bowie was a fucking giant and deserves to be remembered as such.

Because of David Bowie, I did cool things, like visit Berlin, with my best friend and boyfriend, while the wall was still firmly up. We just wanted to hang out where Bowie, Iggy Pop and Lou Reed spent their 'Berlin years." Being there while the wall was still up was a pretty cool experience, if a bit of a blur. That place was wild, like an unregulated Amsterdam; anyone could do whatever they wanted in the west and in the east it was like walking into a very tense time warp, guarded by Dolf Lundgren look-alikes, in leather trench coats.

As for my favourite songs... all the hits are wonderful of course and I love them all, with my ultimate fave hits being Diamond Dogs and Rebel Rebel, but there's so much more to it than that. Panic in Detroit, Always Crashing in the Same Car, Oh You Pretty Things (everything on Hunky Dory, really), Sound and Vision, Queen Bitch, Five Years, Rock n Roll Suicide, Under Pressure,the Queen collaboration ... Something fantastic and obscure, over-looked or forgotten about is always popping up. This new stuff seems pretty great. The videos were actually too upsetting for me before he died. I couldn't deal with the symbolism of him in the blindfold and buttons (because I didn't know at the time that what they represented would be true in like 2 days). But now I've seen most of it and it is really good. It was still upsetting but I had to watch it. Eventually I will see as much as possible. When someone creates great art, it must be observed and I could never disregard his work.

RIP coolest person I ever shared a planet with. I was really hoping you were going to stick around for another 20 or so years.

Thanks for sharing, really thoughtful post.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Some artists pick their favourite Bowie album

http://thequietus.com/articles/19525-da ... ums?page=2

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Don't believe in yourself , don't deceive with belief
Knowledge comes with death's release
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

linkous wrote:
PonyGirl wrote:I am so sad about this.

Thanks for sharing, really thoughtful post.
Agree with linkous. Thanks for posting that.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

whatwouldcooleydo?

always loved this song and found it to be mostly overlooked and underrated.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Glen Hansard went to Bowie's apartment building to pay tribute.

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

from PonyGirl's beautiful tribute:
Not all has resonated with me, but that doesn't matter. I've never cared. He was an artist in the truest form, ultimately creative, constantly evolving and a courageous risk taker.
I think bubba and several others of you said the same thing in your own words, and I think it's the crux of the matter. An artist to the end.

I heard the news before bed Sunday night, and felt sort of numb. But then I woke up to his music just everywhere and I've been very sad. As a riff on what Iowan said, he's the first of the really big time guys (with all respect to Lou Reed) to die without drugs or guns being a factor. He was also one of the younger ones of that set, and I just expected to have him in the world for a longer time.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

When news broke of Bowie's passing, I didn't believe it as so often, these things are a hoax. For instance, Lou Reed must have "died" at least 2 or 3 times online before it became a reality. The difference here was, despite the initial outpouring of disbelief, each time I searched to find different, reliable sources, the hits I received on Google grew each time. That's when it began to sink in.

Bowie's always been one of those artists I was never a huge fan of but for about as long as I can remember, he's been a part of the fabric of rock n' roll whether it was the radio, major events like Live Aid or how he was involved in so many different activities, including movies. Even if I didn't own a single one of his records, he had my utmost respect as an artist. In the past year or so, I discovered Paige Martin's YouTube channel, where, as a member of the YouTube Vinyl Community, she would showcase new purchases as well as her ever expanding record collection in general. Her enthusiasm for Zep, Beatles, the Kinks, Doors, the Who, Stones, etc. was infectious. Same for her love of Bowie. So, I began to listen with new ears and picked up Changesonebowie. I'm not always big on greatest hits collections but when you're talking about someone with as massive a back catalog as Bowie, I don't think it's a bad place to start. I doubt my fandom ever reaches hardcore level but thanks to Paige, I'm all about diving deep into the history of rock n' roll to re-examine artists such as Bowie that I may have never given a fair shake to the first time around.

whatwouldcooleydo?

one belt loop wrote: As a riff on what Iowan said, he's the first of the really big time guys (with all respect to Lou Reed) to die without drugs or guns being a factor.
So just for sake of clarification: are you guys saying that George Harrison isn't a big time guy on the level of Bowie and Lou Reed, or was he just overlooked? No drugs or guns there, just that motherfucker cancer

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
one belt loop wrote: As a riff on what Iowan said, he's the first of the really big time guys (with all respect to Lou Reed) to die without drugs or guns being a factor.
So just for sake of clarification: are you guys saying that George Harrison isn't a big time guy on the level of Bowie and Lou Reed, or was he just overlooked? No drugs or guns there, just that motherfucker cancer
No, you are right - I mentioned him elsewhere but neglected to do so here.

That motherfucker, cancer.

- bubba

tinnitus photography

Hey guys, Lemmy.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Bowie was just so fucking fearless. What all artists should aspire to be. I listened to Blackstar a couple of times Friday night on Spotify and bought the album the next day. I couldn't put my finger on why the record felt so powerful and then I heard the news. An amazing achievement. It's been on repeat all week.

In no particular order:
Station to Station
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I wasn't a big fan in the beginning but I loved going to concerts. I was working that night so I hadn't bought a ticket. My boss at McDonalds could sense
I wasn't really there. When he asked what was wrong I explained there was a concert in town and I wasn't there. He looked at the front counter, said we were
slow and sent me home. I went home told my brother Myron we were going to a show and off we went.
It was the 76 Station to station tour. It started off with the short 1928 film Un Chien Andalou (an andalusian dog) by Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí. What a
flipped out film.

Bowie was unbelievable. Totally blew me away. I became a big fan that night. In 1990 Mrs Swamp and I saw him on the Sound and Vision tour. Again an
unbelievable show.
One of my favorite Bowie tunes

Still can't believe he's gone............RIP Mr Jones
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

linkous

Post by linkous »

Markalanbishop wrote:Bowie was just so fucking fearless. What all artists should aspire to be. I listened to Blackstar a couple of times Friday night on Spotify and bought the album the next day. I couldn't put my finger on why the record felt so powerful and then I heard the news. An amazing achievement. It's been on repeat all week.
I hope you took "the next day" album back to the shop and asked for a refund. You were sold the wrong record!!

boom boom tisch!

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Hey guys, Lemmy.
No, sorry. Not on the same level as Bowie.

- bubba

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

one belt loop wrote:No, sorry. Not on the same level as Bowie.
Agreed but a badass motherfucker though.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

tinnitus photography

one belt loop wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: So just for sake of clarification: are you guys saying that George Harrison isn't a big time guy on the level of Bowie and Lou Reed, or was he just overlooked? No drugs or guns there, just that motherfucker cancer
Hey guys, Lemmy.
No, sorry. Not on the same level as Bowie.
Agreed.

But I'd put him above Harrison, personally.

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography wrote:But I'd put him above Harrison, personally.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?