RIP David Bowie

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

RIP David Bowie

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: RIP David Bowie

Post by RolanK »

So sad to hear this. He was my first musical hero and obsession, and it never really faded.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

FUCK! :(
Keep calm and have a cigar

linkous

Post by linkous »

Legend.

Actor Simon Pegg wrote on Instagram: "If you're sad today, just remember the world is over 4 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie."

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I'm watching a video of "Life on Mars" from the last tour now & getting misty. Bowie was one of my first faves & it has never faded. Some words from Tony Visconti:
A tribute from Tony Visconti......

"He always did what he wanted to do. And he wanted to do it his way and he wanted to do it the best way. His death was no different from his life - a work of Art,".

"He made Blackstar for us, his parting gift. I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it. He was an extraordinary man, full of love and life. He will always be with us. For now, it is appropriate to cry."

Comments Visconti previously made to the LA Times about the record now take on a new meaning, suggesting production was a race against time due to Bowie's declining health.

"Because of the secrecy around 'The Next Day,' it sounded like I was out of work for two years. I couldn't mention it," Visconti said. DARKSTAR took a fraction of the time to record, but both albums reflect a new way of composing for Bowie.

An icon and indisputable music legend, Bowie died aged 69 following a "courageous" battle with cancer, surrounded by family.

linkous

Post by linkous »

On national Belgian Radio 1 they had a phone call with Ivo Van Hove, the director of the Lazarus play.

Jan: You probably saw this day coming ?
Ivo: (hesitating) yes, he told me over a year and 3-4 months ago, after we had been working for a few months on the musical Lazarus.
And then he said in confidence that he was badly ill. That he should know this, if Bowie wouldn't show up he'd know why.
I didn't even tell my partner, who is also working on the musical.
I saw this day coming, but when I heard it this morning... Coincidentally I didn't sleep last night so, there must be something in the universe...

Jan: There was a big disbelief this morning when we heard the news. Our first thought was that it was a bad hoax, a very disgusting one.
One just can't believe this...
Ivo: No. You cant, I can of course because I have lived with it, meeting him multiple times, in that very difficult year in which he truly did not
want to die. He still has a very young child, a daughter aged 13,14. He truly is a family man, he is really somebody who likes to be at home.
Likes to watch television, knows all tv series, a true family man. And I have got to know him in that battle.
He really fought like a lion. He did NOT want to die. He made a new album, worked at the musical. I had an immense respect for him, but with tears in my eyes.

Jan: Did you get the chance in your conversations to talk about it, how he saw his death ?
Ivo: No, we didn't. Besides I really saw a man who didn't want to die and didn't want to talk about it. Anyway, Bowie has a reclusive lifestyle. Just his wife and daughter.
I have always respected that, I do think he liked that that I didn't try to get to know stuff about his private life.
When he talked about it, I let him and i never... I felt that he didn't want to talk about that. We did talk in great lenght
about other things, even those last days.

But I knew, the day of the premiere... We were on stage, receiving applause and in "De Volkskrant" (a Dutch paper) in the Netherlands we read that
he was standing there in good health with great energy. But we weren't even down the stairs of the stage and he collapsed. Together with Enda Walsh we have talked for about 15 minutes.
And then I knew, that evening, when he walked out of the door into his car that this would likely be the last time we'd see eachother.
And this turned out to be so.

Jan: Not just the musician, Bowie, but also the man who opened the world for lots of people. Like the emancipation of the entire holebi society.
ivo: indeed, as was the case for me from my local town. I knew aged 11 I was gay, I didn't make a secret about it but I didn't shout it out neither.
And of course, somebody like Bowie, wether he was or wasn't, I didn't ask that either, I don't think it matters. He did a lot... If somebdoy like Bowie
can on stage can make love with his guitarist, then we could do. You see ? A very important statement. Also, because of this past year, I dove into his music.
I was a longtime fan, but I dove into the lyrics, analyzed them. We also talked about them a lot, he was very open about them towards me.
His assistent who was present at the time even said he had never done that before with anyone.

You also feel that this all was a testament, he wanted to leave something behind. Something meaningful. And those songs are all very personal or, and that is
something I found out, about a society in which he didn't feel at home. So many songs are about being in space... Also, the title song lazarus.
If you just play one more song, make it that one, and hear the lyrics. I already knew their meaning but couldn't tell anyone, not even Michael C HAll.

Every sentence has a meaning, look up here I'm in heaven, look up here I'm in danger.
On earth... you see, I feel like a bluebird. See that's me, reincarnated you understand ?
Knowing that you're going to die, wanting to live, hoping that in some way you can stay here on earth.

His songs are full of that, on Blackstar.
That last line on blackstar says it all.
Alas I am not that good in rephrasing it exactly but
"I can't give it all away"

I still need to have some privacy, but I gave everything that I had...

Jan: Clear words indeed. Best of luck to you Ivo, since you still have a week to go with Lazarus.
For you and those around you, stay strong. Thank you.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Nothing to say but this sucks.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I, I wish you could swim
Like the dolphins
Like dolphins can swim

Though nothing, nothing will keep us together
We can beat them, forever and ever
Oh, we can be heroes just for one day

I, I will be King
And you, you will be Queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can be heroes just for one day
We can be us just for one day

I, I can remember
(I remember)
Standing by the wall
(By the wall)
And the guns, shot above our heads fall out of the sky
hanging tree oohlalalala
(Over our heads)
And we kissed, as though nothing could fall
(Nothing could fall)

And the shame, was on the other side
Oh, we can beat them, forever and ever
Then we could be heroes just for one day

We can be heroes
We can be heroes
We can be heroes
copyright <a href="http://elyrics.net" rel="nofollow">http://elyrics.net</a>

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sad. I just listened to Blackstar on Saturday and was struck by how good a work it was from a 69 year old. RIP Ziggy Stardust.

Do you remember, your President Nixon?
Do you remember, the bills you have to pay
For even yesterday?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Major Tom has stepped through the door.

This seems like the first of the legends to go out as an elder statesman (Entwhistle was older, but died in a very "rock and roll" fashion).

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

chuckrh wrote:I, I wish you could swim
Like the dolphins
Like dolphins can swim

Though nothing, nothing will keep us together
We can beat them, forever and ever
Oh, we can be heroes just for one day

I, I will be King
And you, you will be Queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can be us just for one day

I, I can remember
(I remember)
Standing by the wall
(By the wall)
And the guns, shot above our heads fall out of the sky
hanging tree oohlalalala
(Over our heads)
And we kissed, as though nothing could fall
(Nothing could fall)

And the shame, was on the other side
Oh, we can beat them, forever and ever
Then we could be heroes just for one day

We can be heroes
We can be heroes
We can be heroes
copyright <a href="http://elyrics.net" rel="nofollow">http://elyrics.net</a>
Heroes is one of my all time favorite songs.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I know we all gotta go, but it still feels like some of us shouldn't have to.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

That Simon Pegg quote is really cool. And seems to be the only thing that is in the proper perspective for me this morning.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Iowan wrote:Major Tom has stepped through the door.

This seems like the first of the legends to go out as an elder statesman (Entwhistle was older, but died in a very "rock and roll" fashion).
John was 57. He was born before Bowie, if thats what you mean, but so was Lennon.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

oilpiers wrote:

John was 57. He was born before Bowie, if thats what you mean, but so was Lennon.
I just meant he was an "old" guy in general at the point he died. Wouldn't say that about Lennon.

Probably not the best choice of words.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Rocky wrote:That Simon Pegg quote is really cool. And seems to be the only thing that is in the proper perspective for me this morning.
Just FYI, that quote is from another Simon Pegg (not the actor), and he (the non actor Simon Pegg) is claiming he heard it somewhere else, before Bowie's death. I'll update as details in this riveting story come in.
Beebs is not a ragey man

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Clams

Post by Clams »

Saw this on FB this morning

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:Saw this on FB this morning

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'll admit that I was never the world's biggest Bowie fan. I tended to pick and choose, leaning towards his poppier side. But I always knew/felt/believed that having david bowie around making music was one of the coolest things ever about rock n roll. The world was a better place while he was exploring, making music, breaking new ground, melding some sounds and deconstructing others. His androgyny and "is he gay or is he not?" persona was hugely impactful to the development of gay rights and the acceptance of gay culture on both sides of the pond and as usual he was way out in front on all that stuff.

Having just lived through something presumably similar, there is no question in my mind that the making of Blackstar, never mind its quality, represents a huge achievement. The effort, courage and determination it undoubtedly took to make had to have been monumental and is a very different but no less impressive kind of landmark to add to Bowie's resume.

A very sad day and a huge loss.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

beantownbubba wrote: His androgyny and "is he gay or is he not?" persona was hugely impactful to the development of gay rights and the acceptance of gay culture on both sides of the pond and as usual he was way out in front on all that stuff.
In the end this will probably be his most lasting contribution.

I was never a huge fan although everytime he appeared on Top of the Pops over here I would stop and watch. I always had him down as a fast follower, rather than a leader, but he was often the guy that showed the mainstream where the interesting stuff was going on.

About a year ago we were staying with some friends and I ended up listening to Young Americans for the first time. This is probably my favourite Bowie song, absolutely sublime

He also knew how to knock out an awesome Bruce cover

"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Clams

Post by Clams »

His Serious Moonlight tour in 83 at the old Spectrum was one of the first rock shows I ever saw. I remember it being as much a stage production as a rock show, something was was pretty new and foreign to me back then. Great memories of that show, and also of driving around delivering pizzas in my old four speed Toyota Corolla in the 80's with my ChangesOneBowie cassette cranked up loud.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't wanna to derail this thread, but I think Lou Reed would have something to say about that.

Speaking of which, a year ago we had Bowie and Lou. The world is remarkably less cool today.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

From Facebook

Y'all,
DBT has always been made up of folks with very extreme and often diverging tastes.
One constant has always been our unanimous love for David Bowie.

I've personally been a fanatical fan since I was 10. Every point of my development since then has been soundtracked by the various different Bowie personas and the wonderful records that each made.

We've been in studio all weekend and had long discussion last night about the rave reviews that Bowie had been receiving for an album released Friday on his 69th birthday. A very rare feat in the annals of Rock. The news broke as I was about to go to bed and I'm up early being sad. We will all surely raise a glass today for Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, The Thin White Duke, the Berlin Hero, the Diamond Dog and the Black Star.

Thanks for a lifetime of amazing music. RIP David Bowie.

Sincerely,
Patterson Hood
and The DBTs

Clams

Post by Clams »

Heroes
TVC15
Suffragette City
Golden Years
Young Americans

Honorable mention: Ashes to Ashes, Changes, China Girl, Rebel Rebel, Fashion

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

fuck fuck fuck :cry: :cry: :cry:

he was truly one of a kind

one of my favorite live performances that I ever saw was him at Bridge School 96, my first

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

in the 4th grade our teachers would let us bring in 45s to play during breaks and recess. I took in Bowie's "Fame" and to this day I am not sure if the teachers were impressed, frightened, or both. Remember, this was NC in the early 70s, decades before Asheville became the official COTFU (center of the fuckin' universe")
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved