2016 Album Releases

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

Re: 2016 Album Releases

Post by Bill in CT »

Opeth will release their new album Sorceress on September 30. More information is at the link below.

http://www.opeth.com/news/item/271-sorc ... ember-30th

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The first ever best of from the Connells is out on September 9th. Press release here.

1. Stone Cold Yesterday
2.’74 – ‘75
3. Still Life
4. One Simple Word
5. Crown
6. Carry My Picture
7. Slackjawed
8. Something To Say
9. Scotty’s Lament
10. Over There
11. Fun & Games
12. Get A Gun
13. Maybe
14. Uninspired
15. Just Like That
16. New Boy

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

eastside bulldog
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Dwight Yoakam's releasing a bluegrass album called Swimmin' Pools, Movie Stars on Sugar Hill Records on September 23rd. According to Country Standard Time, they're all songs he's reinterpreted from his back catalog. More here.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:The first ever best of from the Connells is out on September 9th. Press release here.

1. Stone Cold Yesterday
2.’74 – ‘75
3. Still Life
4. One Simple Word
5. Crown
6. Carry My Picture
7. Slackjawed
8. Something To Say
9. Scotty’s Lament
10. Over There
11. Fun & Games
12. Get A Gun
13. Maybe
14. Uninspired
15. Just Like That
16. New Boy
now that's a blast from the past! Haven't thought of them in ages
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Kudzu Guillotine

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:The first ever best of from the Connells is out on September 9th. Press release here.

1. Stone Cold Yesterday
2.’74 – ‘75
3. Still Life
4. One Simple Word
5. Crown
6. Carry My Picture
7. Slackjawed
8. Something To Say
9. Scotty’s Lament
10. Over There
11. Fun & Games
12. Get A Gun
13. Maybe
14. Uninspired
15. Just Like That
16. New Boy
now that's a blast from the past! Haven't thought of them in ages
The current lineup doesn't include George Huntley (or Peele Wimberley) but when they did a 30th anniversary show at Raleigh Little Theatre a couple summers ago Huntley sat in for a few songs, including this one. This was my favorite Connells concert by far. Unfortunately, I only saw them once with the original lineup which was the year that Walnut Creek had one of those Earth Buddies concerts sponsored by WRDU.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
The current lineup doesn't include George Huntley (or Peele Wimberley) but when they did a 30th anniversary show at Raleigh Little Theatre a couple summers ago Huntley sat in for a few songs, including this one. This was my favorite Connells concert by far. Unfortunately, I only saw them once with the original lineup which was the year that Walnut Creek had one of those Earth Buddies concerts sponsored by WRDU.

WRDU, another blast from the past! When I worked at the Record Bar corporate office 89-92 I controlled the sound in my work area- it was the tradeoff several women made to be allowed to smoke at their desks- so when I wasn't playing GD live recordings we often listen to the college station from that Methodist school in Durham :lol: Can't recall the call letters but it was a great station, got turned on to so many things via that station, things I would then go by at Poindexter's.

the last show we saw at Walnut Creek was CSN acoustic on July 4, 1992, the day after seeing Seldom Scene (with Tony Rice on lead vocals) and Emmylou Harris at the Eno festival. Within a few weeks we moved to Austin and I haven't lived in NC since (all my family still there).

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

WRDU, another blast from the past! When I worked at the Record Bar corporate office 89-92 I controlled the sound in my work area- it was the tradeoff several women made to be allowed to smoke at their desks- so when I wasn't playing GD live recordings we often listen to the college station from that Methodist school in Durham :lol: Can't recall the call letters but it was a great station, got turned on to so many things via that station, things I would then go by at Poindexter's.

the last show we saw at Walnut Creek was CSN acoustic on July 4, 1992, the day after seeing Seldom Scene (with Tony Rice on lead vocals) and Emmylou Harris at the Eno festival. Within a few weeks we moved to Austin and I haven't lived in NC since (all my family still there).
Like WQDR before it, WRDU eventually went country. It came back a few years ago at a new frequency (100.7, which was previously WTRG The River) but it resembles WRDU in call letters only. They're a rock station but it's all old stuff.

Hardly any rock shows come to the Creek anymore, most are now at Red Hat Amphitheatre in downtown Raleigh which is kind of like a miniature Walnut Creek. The main draw at the Creek these days is country.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Like WQDR before it, WRDU eventually went country. It came back a few years ago at a new frequency (100.7, which was previously WTRG The River) but it resembles WRDU in call letters only. They're a rock station but it's all old stuff.

Hardly any rock shows come to the Creek anymore, most are now at Red Hat Amphitheatre in downtown Raleigh which is kind of like a miniature Walnut Creek. The main draw at the Creek these days are country acts.
Did the Creek open in 91? I seem to think it did, the first show I saw there was in fall 91, Tom Petty & Heartbreakers with Chris Whitley opening. I mean to get back to Chapel Hill/Triangle to see old friends and take a trip down memory lane, sounds like I won't recognize the place. That certainly happens every time I go home to Asheville

Kudzu Guillotine

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Did the Creek open in 91? I seem to think it did, the first show I saw there was in fall 91, Tom Petty & Heartbreakers with Chris Whitley opening. I mean to get back to Chapel Hill/Triangle to see old friends and take a trip down memory lane, sounds like I won't recognize the place. That certainly happens every time I go home to Asheville
Just looked it up, opening weekend was July 4, 1991. The first show was Widespread Panic but I'm thinking there was a show before that which was free. I may be wrong about that though. The first shows I saw there were a couple weekends later, Jimmy Buffett and Lynyrd Skynyrd (not on the same bill). I saw a good many shows there over the years, several of which were free thanks to comp tickets from when I was working at WSFL in New Bern. I didn't start visiting the Triangle area for shows on a regular basis until the late 90's. Even since then, there's been some significant changes in Raleigh (the closing of the Brewery, Sadlack's, the music hall part of the Berkeley Cafe, etc.) but the music scene itself is still alive and well. There are more record stores now (both new and used), the Casbah in Durham closed but now we have The Pinhook and Motorco; Cat's Cradle in Carrboro has added the Back Room (the back half of what used to be Fleet Sports); the Troika Music Festival in Durham is no more but now we have Hopscotch (in Raleigh) and there's the Haw River Ballroom out in Saxapahaw. There's also plenty of great shows at the American Tobacco Campus in Durham and the Museum of Art in Raleigh. For all the gentrification that's taking place, the music and arts scene is so vibrant here that it will never be killed off. It's a huge part of the lifeblood of this area and is what keeps me here.

Apologies for the thread drift. I believe there's a local/Triangle-based thread around here somewhere.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Here are a few.

Dexateens - Teenage Hallelujah
Out via WarHen (hey that's me!) and Cornelius Chapel on Oct 7

Lambchop - For Love Often Turns Us Still (FLOTUS)
Out via Merge on Nov 4

Jonny Fritz - Sweet Creep
Out via ATO on Oct 14
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Dean

Post by Dean »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Did the Creek open in 91? I seem to think it did, the first show I saw there was in fall 91, Tom Petty & Heartbreakers with Chris Whitley opening. I mean to get back to Chapel Hill/Triangle to see old friends and take a trip down memory lane, sounds like I won't recognize the place. That certainly happens every time I go home to Asheville
Just looked it up, opening weekend was July 4, 1991. The first show was Widespread Panic but I'm thinking there was a show before that which was free. I may be wrong about that though. The first shows I saw there were a couple weekends later, Jimmy Buffett and Lynyrd Skynyrd (not on the same bill). I saw a good many shows there over the years, several of which were free thanks to comp tickets from when I was working at WSFL in New Bern. I didn't start visiting the Triangle area for shows on a regular basis until the late 90's. Even since then, there's been some significant changes in Raleigh (the closing of the Brewery, Sadlack's, the music hall part of the Berkeley Cafe, etc.) but the music scene itself is still alive and well. There are more record stores now (both new and used), the Casbah in Durham closed but now we have The Pinhook and Motorco; Cat's Cradle in Carrboro has added the Back Room (the back half of what used to be Fleet Sports); the Troika Music Festival in Durham is no more but now we have Hopscotch (in Raleigh) and there's the Haw River Ballroom out in Saxapahaw. There's also plenty of great shows at the American Tobacco Campus in Durham and the Museum of Art in Raleigh. For all the gentrification that's taking place, the music and arts scene is so vibrant here that it will never be killed off. It's a huge part of the lifeblood of this area and is what keeps me here.

Apologies for the thread drift. I believe there's a local/Triangle-based thread around here somewhere.
I think that first show was the earth Day show in 91- Dillon Fence and WSP, and maybe the Connells too?

I was there, i should remember...

Kudzu Guillotine

Dean wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I think that first show was the earth Day show in 91- Dillon Fence and WSP, and maybe the Connells too?

I was there, i should remember...
I believe Dillion Fence played at the Earth Buddies show the following year (which was also headlined by the Connells), at least from what I remember. That's the one I attended. Even though I wasn't at the first one during the opening weekend in '91 I tend to get the two confused. According to this article, the bands that played on July 4, 1991 were The Connells, Widespread Panic and Follow for Now.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

The Sword is releasing an acoustic album, featuring alternate versions of the songs from High Country...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/the-sw ... try-album/
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

My favorite Creek show was Allman Brothers/Little Feat on 10/26/91. Had 5th row seats and made a pretty solid tape with Sonic Studios and the trusty D-6. Sadly that was the day after Bill Graham's tragic death. It was late on the east coast when he died so we didn't find out until the next day. Certainly impacted the mood around the show, but nonetheless it was great. Also saw ABB in Raleigh in 1990 at the Memorial Auditorium, just days after coming home from a bunch of summer GD shows. Got to hang out backstage a long time with band after show. Girlfriend at the time's siblings went to high school and she wasn't bashful about letting him know, so we hung with the band. This was the night Warren told me that no matter what, don't turn your back on Dickey! You always want to have him in front of you, given his "unpredictable" nature :lol:

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

My favorite Creek show was Allman Brothers/Little Feat on 10/26/91. Had 5th row seats and made a pretty solid tape with Sonic Studios and the trusty D-6. Sadly that was the day after Bill Graham's tragic death. It was late on the east coast when he died so we didn't find out until the next day. Certainly impacted the mood around the show, but nonetheless it was great. Also saw ABB in Raleigh in 1990 at the Memorial Auditorium, just days after coming home from a bunch of summer GD shows. Got to hang out backstage a long time with band after show. Girlfriend at the time's siblings went to high school and she wasn't bashful about letting him know, so we hung with the band. This was the night Warren told me that no matter what, don't turn your back on Dickey! You always want to have him in front of you, given his "unpredictable" nature :lol:
I was that '91 show. If it's the same one I'm thinking of, it was the first time I saw Derek Trucks sit in with them. It's hard to narrow it down as I've seen so many concerts there but my favorite would probably be the night Bill Berry jumped on stage to play a couple songs with R.E.M. in 2003. We cut out of that show just as soon as it was over to go catch DBT's at the Cradle.

Back to 2016 releases, Southern Culture on the Skids has a new album out on September 16th called The Electric Pinecones which grew out of a "country pysch garage" sideproject called the Pinecones. Press release here. Listen to "Grey Skies" from the album here.
1. Freak Flag
2. Dirt Road
3. Baby, I Like You
4. I Ain't Gonna Hang Around
5. Grey Skies
6. Waiting On You
7. Midnight Caller
8. Swamp Fox
9. Downward Mobility
10. Rice and Beans
11. Given To Me
12. Slowly Losing My Mind
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I was that '91 show. If it's the same one I'm thinking of, it was the first time I saw Derek Trucks sit in with them. It's hard to narrow it down as I've seen so many concerts there but my favorite would probably be the night Bill Berry jumped on stage to play a couple songs with R.E.M. in 2003. We cut out of that show just as soon as it was over to go catch DBT's at the Cradle.
I believe you are correct. IIRC, the very young Derek came out in an Atlanta Braves cap that was way too big for his head and held his own with Les Brers

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I believe you are correct. IIRC, the very young Derek came out in an Atlanta Braves cap that was way too big for his head and held his own with Les Brers
That may have been in there as well but the tune I recall him sitting in on was "One Way Out", dude definitely held his own with Dickey and then some. There's some footage of him on YouTube opening for the Allmans at the Creek but it's not one of the shows I attended.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:[

That may have been in there as well but the tune I recall him sitting in on was "One Way Out", dude definitely held his own with Dickey and then some. There's some footage of him on YouTube opening for the Allmans at the Creek but it's not one of the shows I attended.

I just meant Les Brers in that he held his own with the Brothers, not that they did that song

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

From the upcoming duet album by John Prine, including Suisan Tedeschi, Alison Krauss, Amanda Shires and more...September 30th.

"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Dexateens vinyl pre-order through my label.
https://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/albu ... lelujah-lp
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

TruckerTomer wrote:From the upcoming duet album by John Prine, including Suisan Tedeschi, Alison Krauss, Amanda Shires and more...September 30th.

weird that youtube codes don't work for me anymore... i just see a long vertical black rectangle.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

tinnitus photography wrote:
TruckerTomer wrote:From the upcoming duet album by John Prine, including Suisan Tedeschi, Alison Krauss, Amanda Shires and more...September 30th.

weird that youtube codes don't work for me anymore... i just see a long vertical black rectangle.
Same here. I thought it was just my computer.

Kudzu Guillotine

jr29 wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:

Same here. I thought it was just my computer.
X3

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

yep
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I can see them from my kindle, but I'm unable to play them.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I can see youtube on a tablet, but can't see it from a desk top.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I can see them in Firefox on my PC and Chrome on my phone.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I have been hitting quote, then plugging the key part into another window open to youtube.
Clunky, but it works.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.