Hip Hop - Yes or No?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

linkous

Hip Hop - Yes or No?

Post by linkous »

I go through phases of liking/disliking hip hop. The current stuff, and the 10-15 years before that do next to nothing for me. When it all comes down to it, the "golden age" is where it starts and ends for me. I guess the bottom line is I like the more soulful stuff, with inventive bass lines, great samples , and funky guitar etc.
So for me thats Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Bros, De La Soul, EPMD, Boogie Down Productions, Eric B & Rakim, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Naughty By Nature and Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy.
For some reason could never get into Run DMC (how bad is "Walk This Way"?), The Beastie Boys (the music is usually great, but all that constant high pitched shouting/screaming/wailing spoils it), Snoop Dog, LL Cool J and also all that Gangsta Rap like NWA, Wu Tang Clan and all all those "bitches, ho's, guns and bling" groups is where the wheels fell of the wagon for me.

Bottom line is rap/hip hop is quite probably the most enduring and popular style of music from the last 30 years, but the best of it was made from the mid 80's - mid 90's imo.

Shakespeare

Re: Hip Hop - Yes or No?

Post by Shakespeare »

kinda the same boat for me. i realized recently the thing is i tend to prefer simpler beats that dont really compete for the spotlight, and a lot of todays producers dont adhere to that philosophy

tribe and de la are the ones i play the most. those dudes always sounded like theyre having a blast without going overboard like a lot of gangsta acts (which, dre aside, im not that into either). i recently bought strictly business and that scratched the same itch for me. if there were classic rap stations that focused solely on that stuff id be a fairly regular listener

i dont follow modern stuff all that much but i do love danny brown, mf doom and the roots. danny and doom are certainly not for everyone but theyre so over the top in their own ways i love them. the roots are their own thing entirely. hip hop isnt really a genre that ages well but theyve gotten better as they got older. 11 albums in and i feel theyre making the best stuff of their career, while being the best live act around in any genre.

i grew up on the 2000s stuff so my earliest exposure was pop stuff like nelly, ludacris, 50 cent, etc, but i still listen to outkast, and select eminem and jay z albums a lot today.

and despite running blatantly counter to my simple beats preference, i love kanye. but i feel thats a discussion we probably dont need to have :lol:

quick top 10 hip hop for me, though i dont claim to be any sort of expert
10 danny brown - xxx. really good at capturing the sex and drugs party vibe along with some more melancholy stuff.
9 outkast - stankonia. i dont care much for big boi but i could listen to 3000 all day. the love below is actually my favorite outkast thing but its arguably not outkast, or hip hop, so i went with stankonia, but really anything before idlewild is essential. incredibly creative band.
8 madvillain - madvillainy. 21st century de la soul, basically. so much fun, such a wide range of source material. doom and madlib each have such huge catalogs ive unfortunately only heard small chunks of, but what ive heard is great.
7 jay z - american gangster. this and the black album are the only ones of his i still listen to at all. other than those two he was pretty much just a singles act and now more a businessman/pop culture figure than someone with anythign to say, but he earned it.
6 eminem - the eminem show. marshall mathers lp gets a lot of spins too. no need for me to bother with anything after eminem show.
5 kanye west - late registration, but the only kanye albums i dont love are yeezus and the college dropout and those two each have a handful of classics on them. the guys a prick but hes been arguably the biggest pop star in the world for the majority of his career and he hasnt (musically) jumped the shark or even come close to making the same album twice. people who harp on his persona or his extensive casts of collaborators are missing the point. the guy has a clear vision and hes driven to reach it, and we could use more like him.
4 de la soul - 3 feet high and rising. i really hate hip hop album skits but this is the one case where they almost work. almost. great band though. such wicked chemistry between them. i got into de la through gorillaz, naturally.
3 the roots - how i got over. in a genre not known for being kind to old men or talking about feelings the roots have had a fantastic second act of really dark, jazzy rap that focuses on the negative aspects of all the street stuff other acts glorify. their most recent one might not even be considered hip hop at all anymore but it still sounds like the roots, so theres still a lot of ground for them to explore. i dont think youll find any act in any genre in any time with as strong a wortk ethic as these guys the last couple years.
2 a tribe called quest - the low end theory. smooth as can be, musically and vocally. like pink flag was for punk, its the stripped down essence of everything great about the genre
1 beastie boys - pauls boutique. one of my earliest favorite bands, but i get linkous' point. theyre a right place, right time act i think, and i lucked out. licensed to ill is pretty bad in retrospect but they made such a massive leap with this one. not to rehash last weeks sampling debate but this is the pinnacle of the art form in my opinion, and itll sadly never be reached again thanks to some dubious court proceedings

linkous

Post by linkous »

Cheers for the tips Shakespeare, I really need to check out The Roots. It's a name I'm aware of, but never got round to checking out in any great detail. Weren't they the house band for Letterman or something (which I never watched, apart from YoutuBe clips of Llive performances by such as The Replacements, DBT etc)? And how could I forget Outkast - Stankonia, Aquemini and Atliens are fantastic records.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

the roots are jimmy fallons band on the tonight show. at first it seemed weird when they took the gig, but its lead to them collaborating with pretty much everybody and really tightening up as a band, so ultimately its been worth the reduced touring schedule, but man, what a live show they put on.

i dont know if its cuz of their nbc obligations or not but their last few albums have all been in the 40 minute range, which i always appreciate. i think more than any genre hip hop fell victim to the curse of the 80 minute cd capacity. way too many good albums marred by skits and blatant filler.

ive been listening to lets get free by dead prez a lot this past week. some definite shades of public enemy in the beats and the politics there.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I've never cared for rap or hip-hop but I'll be the first to defend it when someone says, "rap isn't music". Believe it not, even all these years later when it couldn't be more evident that it's an established music form, some people still attempt to make that argument as though there's some validity to it. Funny, considering the reception rock n' roll received upon its' inception that no one tries to make the same case there.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Thank you for starting this thread linkous. I thought about starting one like it a week or two back and just never did. Glad you did.

Ok, to answer the question, yes but not that often. What I mean is, there have been a few times in my life that I've listened to almost nothing but rap but I don't listen to it very often anymore.

I'm about the most unlikely rap fan you can imagine. White, Southern, country boy who lives out in the bushes in Georgia. But rap was a pretty big deal for me growing up. I said in another thread that I've never really understood punk. Other than Social Distortion there have never been any punk bands that did a thing for me. I never have understood what the big deal is. I personally attribute that to timing. When I grew up etc. I'm 37. Graduated high school in the mid 90s. Punk just didn't mean anything to me. But boy rap sure did. And I think rap was for me what punk was for some of you.

The first rap music I can re,e,very being aware of was when my older sister bought a copy of Whoodini's Escape From Alcatraz. I didn't know the. That it was called rap but I knew it was different and I liked it. Guys a few years older than me liked Run D.M.C. so I thought it was cool but I didn't fall for rap until a few years later.

I'm sure y'all remember the controversy envolving Luther Campbell and Too Live Crew some time around 1989 or 90 and the ensuing uproar over rap lyrics eventually leading to a warning label on any record containing curse words. At the time, the only thing I knew about this guy that people called Luke Skywalker or Uncle Luke was that he was a big Miami Hurricanes fan and was always at their home games. Naturally, me and my buddies were curious due to all the hoopla over this supposedly horrible music and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. A friend of mine who lived down the road had an older brother that had a copy of Too Live Crew's Banned In The U.S.A. We listened to it and laughed a lot at all the cussing but the novelty and shock value only went so far even for pre teen boys never exposed to this sort of thing. The songs were just dumb. They seemed to just be trying to squeeze as many cuss words into each line as possible. Pretty soon I did t care about it anymore.

It wasn't much longer however before I saw a record by some group calling themselves N.W.A. I knew immediately this was something different from that Too Live Crew nonsense and even Run D.M.C. These guys looked tough. Like they would beat you up or worse. They wore all black. They appeared in pictures toting guns. There was something dangerous about them and pretty soon I would here the, referred to as the world's most dangerous group. I got my friend'so older brother to make me a copy of Straight Outta Compton and my mind was blown. These guys didn't make novelty type songs and they dang sure weren't coming off as goofy or jokey. They were MAD! They laid out in no uncertain terms why they were mad and who they were mad at and they did it with colorful language and over music you could get caught up in as much as any rock music. I could do an entire write up on N.W.A. And I might but that's not what we're here for.

Of course I eventually made my way to Public Enemy. Despite the fact that they just plain seemed to hate white people, I still loved their music.

Soon Ice Cube would go solo, The Beastie Boys would return with Check Your Head, Ice T would release Home Invasion and Dr. Dre would not only go solo but introduce a skinny kid with a laid back flow who called himself Snoop Doggy Dog. It was great! I still loved rock and country but this was different. It was like this music belonged to me. None of my white buddies shared my love of rap. They thought it was weird that I liked it. But all of the black guys I was friends with thought it was cool that I liked it. They couldn't believe that I knew who all these rappers were and knew the words to their songs. They kind of laughed at first but then they loved it that I liked rap.

I agree with all of what has been said about the negatives of gangsta rap. There is a lot about it that is t good. It's vilolent and women are not treated well in the songs. Not to mention homosexuals. And it was as I was entering high school that rap began to u derogatory a change.

All of the sudden the west coast gangster rap craze was being paralleled by something different. A group called Tribe Called Quest emerged out of New York. They did t talk about who they wanted to beat up, shoot, or rob. They didn't talks bout violence. They rapped over jazzy sounding beats with prominent snare drums rather than the fuzzy keyboards and bass of West Coast G funk. These guys had songs that were upbeat. And while Q Tip would occasionally touch on subjects that made him angry, his voice was so dang smooth and calming that he made it seem like it would be ok. Like minded groups such as the Pharcyde began springing up. It was evident that rap could be and was far more than a bunch of cussing. It wasn't just young guys telling tales of crime, poverty, and police brutality. It was a lot more. Rap could be upbeat and fun without being silly. It could be artistic. It was a diverse form of music and could go wherever an artist wanted to take it.

But my love of rap was truly solidified when I was home by myself one day watching Yo! Mtv Raps and this new group from New York was introduced. What I saw that day blew my mind all over again. A group of nine (nine!) rappers from Staten Island, New York calling themselves The Wu Tang Clan laid down about three and shalt minutes worth of one of the coolest things I had ever heard. They took turns leading on verses over a sad piano sample on a song about being broke and wanting to be rich. The song of course was, C.R.E.A.M. (cas rules everything around me) and it was about young guys trying to get rich or just not be poor by whatever means they could. Legal or illegal and all that life brought with it. The record was called Enter The Wu Tang, 36 Chambers.

This was something so original I knew I was seeing something special that would be a part of music history. These guys rapped over really rugged, minimal beats along with sad jazz and soul samples. They mixed it with samples from Kung Fu flicks. They included skits that were actually something you did t want to skip over. And the rappers themselves! They were such dynamic personalities. They could be funny (Method Man, O.D.B.), they could be menacing (Raekwon, Rza,) and they could be downright weird (Ghostface, Gza). They all had alter egos they rapped under. It was unbelievably original and fascinating stuff. And it sounded great.

This post is getting way too long and it's getting away from me so I'll just throw out some of my all time favorite rap records and let that do it for now.

In no particular order;
N.W.A.-Straight Outta Compton
Wu Tang Clan-Enter The Wu, 36 Chambers
Gza-Liquid Swords
Raekwon and Ghostface-Only Built For Cuban Linx
Jay Z-Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, The Black Album
Notorious B.I.G.-everything he recorded
Nas-Illamatic
Eminem-The Marshall Mathers album
Dr. Dre- Chronic, 2001
Eric B. And Rakim-everything they recorded
Kanye West-College Dropout, late Registration
Atmosphere-Overcast
Aesop Rock-labor Days
Tu Pac-most of his catalog

There's a lot more but I've gotta go for now. Good thread.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Cheers for that very insightful post Cole. It's at times like this that I realise I have only just flirted with this genre of music, compared to somebody as obviously knowlegeable as yourself.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

linkous wrote:Cheers for that very insightful post Cole. It's at times like this that I realise I have only just flirted with this genre of music, compared to somebody as obviously knowlegeable as yourself.
Thanks. Some other great records that have come to mind;

Big Pun-anything he recorded. He and B.I.G. Were going to record together. What might have been.

Busta Rhymes- When Disaster Strikes

Outkast-Atliens and Stankonia.

GangStarr-Jazzamatazz

Tribe Called Quest-Low End Theory

Pharcyde-their first record
When I got in high school we would alternate a rap song and a rock song in a list of them that we had picked in the locker room before football games. Usually Public Enemy's Welcome To Athens Terror Dome was the last thing we listened to before leaving the locker room to head to the field.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I love hip hop kind of like how I love country; what I love, I really love, but what I don't, I really don't.

The stuff I like:

Public Enemy
NWA
Kanye
Run the Jewels
Beastie Boys
De La Soul
Roots
Tribe Called Quest
Kendrick Lamar
Boogie Down Productions
Jay-Z
Missy Elliott
Blakroc
Eminem
Outkast
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

I dabble, but I usually buy a few hip hop/rap albums a year, and like Zip Some of it I get and some of it I don't.

Never got the Gangsta thing but Public Enemy blew me away as did De La Soul's Three Foot High and Rising (although I blame them for the interlude thing that a lot of hip hop albums seem to have to have).

Some of my favourites

Company Flow - Little Johnny from the Hospital
DJ Shadow - Entroducing
El-P - Fantastic Damage
Slum Village - Fantastic Vol 2
Mos Def - Black on both sides
Common - Electric Circus
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Kanye West - My beautiful dark twisted fantasy
Outkast - Stankonia
Missy Elliot - Under Construction
Ghostpoet - Peanut Butter Blues and Melancholy Jam
Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five - The Message
Erika Badu - Baduizm
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Kool Keith is pretty much the first and last word for me, in the hip hop world.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

A good place to read about and listen to samples of hip hop songs is at the Aquarius Records site. I've linked their hip hop section below. It's where I learned of a guy who goes by the name Spectre. His work is really good and worth checking out.

http://aquariusrecords.org/cat/hiphop.html
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Bill in CT wrote:A good place to read about and listen to samples of hip hop songs is at the Aquarius Records site. I've linked their hip hop section below. It's where I learned of a guy who goes by the name Spectre. His work is really good and worth checking out.

http://aquariusrecords.org/cat/hiphop.html
that dude's got a good 'fro

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Some of my go-to hip hop records off the top of my head:

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
El-P - Fantasic Damage
Both Run the Jewels records
Eric B and Rakim - Paid in Full
BDP - By All Means Necessary
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Anything by Kool Keith or the Ultramagnetic MC's
UGK - Best of
Outkast - ATLiens & Aquemini
Beasties - Check Your Head
Sole - Selling Live Water
Atmosphere - Overcast
2Pac - All Eyez on Me
Dr Dre - The Chronic and Chronic 2001
Quasimoto - The Unseen
Nas - Illmatic
Gangstarr - Moment of Truth
Biggie - Ready to Die
Lootpack - Soundpieces: Da Antidote!
Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
cLOUDDEAD - Self-titled
Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords
Wu Tang - 36 Chambers
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

laugh at me if you insist, but I absolutely love this album! Nothing else from them is up to snuff but this is an all-time favorite for me. Pretty much the polar opposite of most of the hip hop I like (all stuff already mentioned here) but the way they rap, far more so than what they rap about, just kills me

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As dogstar said, I used to dabble but now I listen to even less hip hop than whatever dabbling amounts to. I realized a while back that I hardly ever listen to the hip hop I know I like so there wasn't much point to continue to listen to new stuff. So I can't claim anything more than casual familiarity w/ the genre. That said, I think there's a provocative argument that Public Enemy is the only hip hop one needs to hear/know. I think there's a less provocative argument that Public Enemy is all the hip hop a rock fan needs to know.

More realistically and less insultingly to practitioners and fans of the genre, given the amount of hip hop we've all heard over the decades and given the periods when it's dominated the music scene, I think it's remarkable how much consensus there is here* about what really matters. Maybe more than any other topic I can remember us tackling. I'm pretty sure that almost everything I'd include is listed above, many multiple times. The "almost" is because I don't recall seeing Neneh Cherry or Lauryn Hill and Raw Like Sushi and The Miseducation of... are among my favorites.

Nice posts, CY and Shakespeare.

*Of course "here" means a bunch of white males whose primary musical interest is rock and whose secondary interest is as likely to be country as anything else.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

jamming this one at the moment:
been a while. probably belongs on that hasty list i posted earlier. certainly not an album that will change any minds about hip hop misogyny or anything (opens with "treat her like a prositute," ends with "lick the balls") but as far as storytelling goes, its one of the best in the genre and its got those great old school beats that are never much more than some drums and a few synth notes

njMark

Post by njMark »

Shakespeare wrote:jamming this one at the moment:
been a while. probably belongs on that hasty list i posted earlier. certainly not an album that will change any minds about hip hop misogyny or anything (opens with "treat her like a prositute," ends with "lick the balls") but as far as storytelling goes, its one of the best in the genre and its got those great old school beats that are never much more than some drums and a few synth notes
Slick Rick is amazing, growing up in the late 80's early 90's you couldn't avoid listening to hip hop. NWA got me grounded when I left my tape where my brother could find it to show my mom. Cypress Hill, Redman, Black Sheep got alot of time in my walkman while doing my paper route.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

fuck no. my favorite parts of rap movies are the end when the no talent assholes get shot :twisted:

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

dbtfan4life wrote:fuck no. my favorite parts of rap movies are the end when the no talent assholes get shot :twisted:
Then here's a movie that's right down your alley:

And the day you do something as good for the world as this is the day I'll take that "no talent assholes" comment seriously:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

im majorly late to the party here but to pimp a butterfly is really something else. i didnt get the hype behind him after good kid maad city at all (nothing about that album stood out to me, but ill be revisiting it now for sure) but this warrants all of it and more. the majority of this arguably isnt even hip hop at all but it doesnt feel like genre hopping for the sake of genre hopping or anything. really shows the potential hip hop still has, musically, lyrically, thematically, the works.

one of the things thats kept me at bay with hip hop over the years is the way albums are recorded (different producers from track to track, features, skits, packing a cd's length wth music, etc) makes it difficult to create a cohesive work that flows well, and im an album kinda guy so that matters to me. this has all of that except skits (kinda. some of the spoken word bits might qualify) and it should easily feel like a mess cuz there are some really insane ideas on here (and only the 2pac conversation misses the mark for me. maybe edited way down i could like that part too, but as is its no good) but its all held together by one clear vision. kendrick himself might not have produced all the tracks but you can tell he was involved every step of the way (ie, didnt just buy a beat, rap over it, call it a day) and this is exactly what he set out to make.

John A Arkansawyer

Food for thought:

Op-Ed: On Kanye West and Black Humility
Martin Douglas wrote:Like, when Noel Gallagher says something self-aggrandizing, most of us just laugh it off as "Noel being Noel." But Kanye could say the exact same thing and it invokes a level-three shitstorm among those he rubs the wrong way.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I've been a big fan of the Kid Frost album East Side Story ever since it came out in 1992. Figured I'd mention it since he hadn't come up in the thread as yet.

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Food for thought:

Op-Ed: On Kanye West and Black Humility
Martin Douglas wrote:Like, when Noel Gallagher says something self-aggrandizing, most of us just laugh it off as "Noel being Noel." But Kanye could say the exact same thing and it invokes a level-three shitstorm among those he rubs the wrong way.
I think if Kanye didn't work so hard at making an ass of himself he would get less criticism. He doesn't offend me. I'm pretty sure he's nuts and seems to cultivate a persecution complex as a means to staying motivated. That's one of the differences between him and Noel Gallagher. Noel is t always whining about something. He's obnoxious for sure. But he manages to be funny while he's being obnoxious.

John A Arkansawyer

More brain chow:

How Political Was N.W.A., Really?

Samhita Mukhopadhyay wrote:Just because sexism was good business didn’t mean feminist hip-hop fans weren’t grappling with the cognitive dissonance between the call for racial justice and casual misogyny. Eisa Davis wrote in the 1994 anthology To Be Real, in an essay titled “Sexism and the Art of Feminist Hip-Hop Maintenance,” that when she listens to hip-hop, “I consume the performance of sexism, thereby assuring myself that the reality of the sexism depicted in the lyrics is happening to an imaginary woman, not a real one.”

When I read this essay 20 years ago, it resonated with me as a young feminist who loved rap music. Reading it now in context of N.W.A., it feels profoundly generous.
Having read To Be Real around the time it came out prepared me for living in the future, which is already in progress.

linkous

Post by linkous »

That latest Kendrick Lamarr album has finally clicked for me. Repeated playings on BBC6 of the single "Alright" made me revisit the album and give it another go.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

linkous wrote:That latest Kendrick Lamarr album has finally clicked for me. Repeated playings on BBC6 of the single "Alright" made me revisit the album and give it another go.
I think it's mostly really good, but overall, too long. Sadly, he'll probably never best "good kid"
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Talent Over Money... John A

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Of course , everyone is entitled to their own opinion but one has to wonder if he says these type of things just to stir the pot, sort of like when he called Elton John out years ago for rewriting the lyrics for "Candle In the Wind" in light of the passing of Princess Diana ("His writing is limited to songs for dead blondes"). He also slams Black Sabbath and Metallica in the interview linked to below. Recent comments he made about Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band were taken out of context by nearly every media outlet that reported on the interview, conveniently leaving out his thoughts on Their Satanic Majesties Request, which he also slammed.

“Rap — so many words, so little said. What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there. All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.”
- Keith Richards, New York Daily News

linkous

Post by linkous »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Of course , everyone is entitled to their own opinion but one has to wonder if he says these type of things just to stir the pot, sort of like when he called Elton John out years ago for rewriting the lyrics for "Candle In the Wind" in light of the passing of Princess Diana ("His writing is limited to songs for dead blondes"). He also slams Black Sabbath and Metallica in the interview linked to below. Recent comments he made about Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band were taken out of context by nearly every media outlet that reported on the interview, conveniently leaving out his thoughts on Their Satanic Majesties Request, which he also slammed.

“Rap — so many words, so little said. What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there. All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.”
- Keith Richards, New York Daily News

He has an album to promote, he's in his 70's and still doesn't give a fuck.I bet Keith liked the early stuff like Planet Rock, The Message,White Lines etc. The album will probably be dull but Keith is a legend.

Candle in the Wind, for that royal bimbo, was an atrocity and Elton John should have been hauled before some tribunal accused of crimes against music.