Beck

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

linkous

Beck

Post by linkous »

Unless I am useless at using the search function I could not find a thread about Beck, so thought I'd start one.

I've been a big fan since Odelay, which is a 90's landmark in my book, all the way to last years Morning Phase,which was my album of the year, albeit in a poor year if you ask me.
For the last couple of months I have been on a Beck binge, especially his albums from the previous decade or so such as Guero, The Information and Modern Guilt, which even though I liked at the time I kinda stopped playing them after 6 months or so. Time, and a bit of reflection, has been very kind to these albums I reckon. Any other fans of Beck here?

Beck Top 5

1= Odelay
1= Guero
3 The Information
4. Sea Change
5. Mutations.

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Beck

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

linkous wrote:1= Odelay
1= Guero
3 The Information
I've got Odelay. It doesn't blow me away. Isn't it supposed to? Now, either of those other two, or Midnite Vultures, those blow me away.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Odelay was a huge album in my personal development. It blew me away in 6th grade. I listened to it almost exclusively at that time. I didn't really follow Beck's next set of changes as well. It probably had a lot to do with the influx of testosterone and all the adolescent male stupidity that comes with it. I loved Mellow Gold as well.

I suppose I should get back to his catalog some day.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Pretty big Beck fan.
Sea Change is a desert island disc.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

So on Saturday night I saw Beck at Mempho Music Festival; he wasn’t the highlight of my festival, but I thought he put on a good show. In a similar ambivalent spirit, when I was a high school/college/grad student and Beck was in his heyday, I thought Beck tunes were catchy, but he was never an all-time favorite of mine.

Strangely enough on Sunday am (the night after seeing Beck preform), I am in the Memphis airport with my wife and kids, and a gate or so from mine, I notice Beck sitting and talking to someone (a fellow musician, I’d assume). I was not completely star-struck, but I did walk over to speak, in the same manner I would if I had remembered a fellow fan who’d stood beside me the night before. I didn’t ask for autograph, didn’t try to take a “selfie,” and wouldn’t have even asked him to sign my chest (if I had anything to sign). I simply walked over and said, “excuse me,” and explained that I enjoyed the show, said something about being tired and heading to Disney, and thanked Beck for the show. Beck was cordial enough, but when I extended my hand to shake he did not reciprocate. Being a stubborn creature of habit, I extended my hand agian at the end of our conversation, but agian Beck did not shake.

I was not offended in any way, but I just found this whole interaction intreaguing. Did I break some sort of social code, disregard some sort of celebrity interaction protocol, or did Beck just not notice my hand? I do have rather small (some might say, Trump-esque hands); maybe he didn’t notice my hand.

Regardless, I just found the whole encounter interesting and wanted to share and collect the wisdom of my esteemed 3DD pals!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beaverdam wrote:So on Saturday night I saw Beck at Mempho Music Festival; he wasn’t the highlight of my festival, but I thought he put on a good show. In a similar ambivalent spirit, when I was a high school/college/grad student and Beck was in his heyday, I thought Beck tunes were catchy, but he was never an all-time favorite of mine.

Strangely enough on Sunday am (the night after seeing Beck preform), I am in the Memphis airport with my wife and kids, and a gate or so from mine, I notice Beck sitting and talking to someone (a fellow musician, I’d assume). I was not completely star-struck, but I did walk over to speak, in the same manner I would if I had remembered a fellow fan who’d stood beside me the night before. I didn’t ask for autograph, didn’t try to take a “selfie,” and wouldn’t have even asked him to sign my chest (if I had anything to sign). I simply walked over and said, “excuse me,” and explained that I enjoyed the show, said something about being tired and heading to Disney, and thanked Beck for the show. Beck was cordial enough, but when I extended my hand to shake he did not reciprocate. Being a stubborn creature of habit, I extended my hand agian at the end of our conversation, but agian Beck did not shake.

I was not offended in any way, but I just found this whole interaction intreaguing. Did I break some sort of social code, disregard some sort of celebrity interaction protocol, or did Beck just not notice my hand? I do have rather small (some might say, Trump-esque hands); maybe he didn’t notice my hand.

Regardless, I just found the whole encounter interesting and wanted to share and collect the wisdom of my esteemed 3DD pals!
Maybe he's a germophobe.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

worrierking

Post by worrierking »

Which is a better story: "I shook hands with Beck at the airport" or "Beck refused to shake my hand at the airport"? Consider yourself fortunate! :D