Your high school parking lot soundtrack

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RMD

Your high school parking lot soundtrack

Post by RMD »

What albums bring you back to your high school parking lot immediately when heard? A couple of friends of mine were talking about this the other night. Here is my list, but note that these releases were a little earlier than my high school career which is kind of intresting.

Aerosmith- Toys In The Attic and Rocks
Van Halen- s/t
Skynyrd - One From The Road
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus

Iowan

Re: Your high school parking lot soundtrack

Post by Iowan »

A lot of DMB

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Nevermind, The Chronic, Doggy Style, Weezer's Blue Album, Ten, Boys to Men...whatever was most popular from 95-99.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I didn't hang out in the high school parking lot.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Duke Silver wrote:Nevermind, The Chronic, Doggy Style, Weezer's Blue Album, Ten, Boys to Men...whatever was most popular from 95-99.
damn that makes me feel old! Graduated in 84, we had tons of southern rock, Van Halen, Rush, Zeppelin. Hendrix, and from a few of our cars, Grateful Dead
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

My high school didn't have a parking lot.

We did have a hitching post though.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:My high school didn't have a parking lot.

we had a smoking area. Not sure if it was just because it was NC

Clams

Post by Clams »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
damn that makes me feel old! Graduated in 84, we had tons of southern rock, Van Halen, Rush, Zeppelin. Hendrix, and from a few of our cars, Grateful Dead
I was class of 84 too.

Lots of Springsteen, VH, Genesis, Stones, Who, Doors, Led Zep, all the usual classic rock stuff.
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:My high school didn't have a parking lot.

They had high schools back then?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

RMD wrote:What albums bring you back to your high school parking lot immediately when heard?
I graduated high school in 1980. The opening sequence of Dazed and Confused with the GTO and Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion" could have been filmed in our parking lot, though I don't remember it ever looking like a tailgate party. By the time I was old enough to drive, cassettes were in. While I had quite a few pre-recorded ones, a great deal of them were mixtapes. That said, lots of my friends still had 8-track players. This is just a sampling of the sounds of my high school parking lot, including a few selections of my own.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
RMD wrote:What albums bring you back to your high school parking lot immediately when heard?
I graduated high school in 1980. The opening sequence of Dazed and Confused with the GTO and Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion" could have been filmed in our parking lot, though I don't remember it ever looking like a tailgate party. By the time I was old enough to drive, cassettes were in. While I had quite a few pre-recorded ones, a great deal of them were mixtapes. That said, lots of my friends still had 8-track players. This just a sampling of the sounds of my high school parking lot, including a few selections of my own.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I think Nantucket or Mother's Finest opened every single concert at the Asheville Civic Center when I was coming up

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

My high school honestly didn't have much of a parking lot. Most of the socially outgoing people were stoners who were really into jambands, hence the DMB comment. OAR, Phish, and Dispatch were all big deals too.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

In lieu of a parking lot, my best friend and I listened to a lot of:

Metallica
GnR
NiN
Depeche Mode
Nirvana
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Smashing Pumpkins
Bocephus
Skynyrd
CDB
Trick Daddy
Norma Jean
Verbena
Candlebox
Cowboy Mouth
Virgins Merlot
Brand New
Taking Back Sunday
Better than Ezra
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

tom petty
zz top
john cougar mellencamp
def leppard
ratt
inxs
pink floyd
aerosmith
hank jr
billy idol
u2
skynyrd
bto
motley crue
beastie boys
van halen
bruuce
the nuge

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I went to private school in Montgomery, AL from '95-'98 with a bunch of mostly rich, preppy "hippies". Basically what you think of when you think of southern frat boys. The Bama bangs, wallabees, polos shirts, sunglasses with croakies, khaki pants, etc.

It was all classic rock / jam bands.

Dead
Phish
Pink Floyd
Widespread
Allmans

Mixed in with some 90s alt-rock: Pumpkins, Weezer, Nirvana, 311, etc
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

My high school was an anomaly of sorts I think. Early in high school (2002?) you could hear lots of pop and pop/punk. My friends mostly listened to stuff like Sum-41, Simple Plan, Blink 182 etc... But by the time I was a senior, there was a shift. While there was still a solid amount of pop garbage floating around, everyone started listening to classic rock. By the spring of 2005 you were more likely to see people listening to Dazed and Confused than What's My Age Again in my high school parking lot. I got into the Who, and I constantly argued with the Zep die hards. We'd go to parties and listen to Pink Floyd or Jimi Hendrix. We all knew what was popular nationwide, and we tolerated it at dances and such but if you were blasting music in the parking lot, it was written long before we were born.

Weird, right?

I think there were a few factors that went into this:
We had one "pop" radio station that we could get in town, and two or three classic rock stations.
We never had a real music store, just a music isle at K-Mart, and then Walmart after the takeover.
Having been born in the mid-80's our parents were in high school in the early to mid 70's, so we had their influence and record collections.
None of us could buy the parental advisory version of any cd, which was half of what was popular, but there weren't any parental advisory classic rock cds.
Maybe we knew what was timeless and what was just fleeting pop nonsense?

I kinda miss hangin out in the parking lot, singing along to Thorogood's One Bourbon One Scotch One Beer and having no idea what Bourbon or Scotch tasted like. It was a simpler time.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The pop-punk stuff was in back then for sure, and there were a lot of guys who listened to various levels of punk throughout high school. I got into the pop punk stuff in the late 90's, moved towards older, less radio friendly punk during my sophomore/junior years, and by my senior year ('02-'03) I was into a pretty diverse mix of music I don't really care for today. Artsier punkish stuff like Brand New and Saves The Day, as well a lot of jam bands (OAR, Dispatch, Bob Marley) and really liked Weezer.

It just seemed that jam band stuff resonated the most with more people and is immediately what comes to mind when I think about the "music of my high school". In our locker room after football games, people put OAR on the stereo. Not hard rock, or rap, or anything like. There was a talent show at the end of the school year, and it always ended in like a 10 person jam of "No Woman, No Cry".

njMark

Post by njMark »

Depending which part of it you were in it ranged from

NWA
Dr Dre
Snoop
ATCQ

Or

Metallica
Slayer
Ozzy.

I tended to associate with the former rather than the latter until I realized that New Brunswick was right next door and I could hear live music in a basement for a can of soup. I discovered The Bouncing Souls and never looked back to commercial music. Some of my greatest musical memories involve sweating in a basement on Handy street waiting for the PD to break up a show and wondering what the penalty is for underage drinking.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Guns n Roses
Metallica
NWA
2 Live Crew
Def Leppard
Bon Jovi