David Allan Coe (a LONG post)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

JJAllin

David Allan Coe (a LONG post)

Post by JJAllin »

Last edited by JJAllin on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty

Re: David Allan Coe (a LONG post)

Post by Smitty »

Can we get an AOTW sticky on this?

I love a ton of DAC's music, mostly the lesser known stuff as his "20 Greatest Hits" was ubiquitous in this area growing up and I've grown tired of the hits. "Mary Magdeline", "I Still Sing the Old Songs", "Heaven Only Knows", his cover of Mickey Newbury's "The 33rd of August" (I disagree with you about "Desperadoes", although I think the definitive version ain't off old No. 1 but off the Heartworn Highways soundtrack) "A Sad Country Song", "Another Pretty Country Song" (played at Ronnie Van Zant's funeral) & "Paranoic Hippie" (ok, just kidding on the last one) are some of my favorites off the top of my head.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smitty wrote:Can we get an AOTW sticky on this?
My thoughts exactly.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

whatwouldcooleydo? would love for you to make him a brilliant DAC compilation!!! I have pretty much the basic official stuff a fan (not huge but fan nonetheless) should have but I would love to hear the obscure stuff. It's been ages since way back in the day when I was still in NC that a friend had a few of the truck stop tapes you mentioned, so it's been forever since I've heard that stuff. Thanks and let me know if I can return the favor. I have literally thousands and thousands of live recordings of acts all over the spectrum
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:whatwouldcooleydo? would love for you to make him a brilliant DAC compilation!!! I have pretty much the basic official stuff a fan (not huge but fan nonetheless) should have but I would love to hear the obscure stuff. It's been ages since way back in the day when I was still in NC that a friend had a few of the truck stop tapes you mentioned, so it's been forever since I've heard that stuff. Thanks and let me know if I can return the favor. I have literally thousands and thousands of live recordings of acts all over the spectrum
Stay away from the Underground stuff - I'm a huge DAC fan, I think he's probably the best lyricist in the outlaw country era (excluding Texas songwriters like Guy or TVZ) but the racist-oriented shit is horrible. If it wasn't for that he'd be right there with Merle & Gary Stewart as my favorite country artist.

BTW I know the justification he gives for the Nothing Sacred stuff, but it's no excuse.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Smitty wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:whatwouldcooleydo? would love for you to make him a brilliant DAC compilation!!! I have pretty much the basic official stuff a fan (not huge but fan nonetheless) should have but I would love to hear the obscure stuff. It's been ages since way back in the day when I was still in NC that a friend had a few of the truck stop tapes you mentioned, so it's been forever since I've heard that stuff. Thanks and let me know if I can return the favor. I have literally thousands and thousands of live recordings of acts all over the spectrum
Stay away from the Underground stuff - I'm a huge DAC fan, I think he's probably the best lyricist in the outlaw country era (excluding Texas songwriters like Guy or TVZ) but the racist-oriented shit is horrible. If it wasn't for that he'd be right there with Merle & Gary Stewart as my favorite country artist.

BTW I know the justification he gives for the Nothing Sacred stuff, but it's no excuse.
nice to see some love for Gary Stewart, the Drinkin' Thing is way underrated..... and appreciate your tip

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote: Stay away from the Underground stuff - I'm a huge DAC fan, I think he's probably the best lyricist in the outlaw country era (excluding Texas songwriters like Guy or TVZ) but the racist-oriented shit is horrible. If it wasn't for that he'd be right there with Merle & Gary Stewart as my favorite country artist.

I don't know much about Coe's music, but I've read up a bit on the racist allegations and his rebuttal against them (which to me isnt exactly convincing). I don't see how you can separate the artist and the songs from the racist stuff. It's enough to keep me away.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

whatwouldcooleydo?

what is his rebuttal/justification?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Smitty wrote:

nice to see some love for Gary Stewart, the Drinkin' Thing is way underrated..... and appreciate your tip
http://www.threedimesdown.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=4566 ;)
Clams wrote:
Smitty wrote: Stay away from the Underground stuff - I'm a huge DAC fan, I think he's probably the best lyricist in the outlaw country era (excluding Texas songwriters like Guy or TVZ) but the racist-oriented shit is horrible. If it wasn't for that he'd be right there with Merle & Gary Stewart as my favorite country artist.

I don't know much about Coe's music, but I've read up a bit on the racist allegations and his rebuttal against them (which to me isnt exactly convincing). I don't see how you can separate the artist and the songs from the racist stuff. It's enough to keep me away.
You're missing out some amazing work, but I can't say I blame you in the least. I already loved his music before I learned of the X-Rated stuff, otherwise I would've steered away too. I hate it so fucking much that he tainted his work with those records.

At the same time, there's incidents involving Eric Clapton, Morrissey, David Bowie, Phil Anselmo hell even Elvis Costello that they seemingly get passes for. That's not to excuse DAC's two deplorable records, but I think it's interesting whose transgressions are forgotten about compared to others'.

*edit: none of this was directed at Clams, btw.
Last edited by Smitty on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:what is his rebuttal/justification?
That they were satirical, that they were pandering to his huge portion of fans who happen to be bikers that buy into that shit because he was desperate for money at the time, and that his drummer on the records was a black guy married to a white woman.

Those records were ubiquitous at parties and in my high school parking lot growing up. He really spread a lot of hate with those records, regardless of his intent.
BTW, as mentioned earlier, Warren Haynes played guitar on those records; when's the last time you've seen that brought up in articles about the Mule or ABB?

DAC comes off as undoubtedly as an asshole, but an interesting and talented asshole nonetheless which is unfortunate as it keeps him from getting the credit his songs deserve. He did it to himself, though.
Hank Jr. & Hank 3 both fit in that category as well. Bocephus had some killer records in the '70's, but his ego in the 80's and his near-fringe right wing views have tainted his music as well.
DAC also wrote some songs like this, even if it was too little too late.
Last edited by Smitty on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clams

Post by Clams »

http://www.countrystandardtime.com/d/ar ... sp?xid=360

whatwouldcooleydo?

to this day I remained stunned by how many people don't know of (or maybe pretend it didn't happen) Clapton's Enoch Powell rant in 1976 at a concert in Birmingham, England. Here's what he said:

Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. Wogs I mean, I'm looking at you. Where are you? I'm sorry but some fucking wog...Arab grabbed my wife's bum, you know? Surely got to be said, yeah this is what all the fucking foreigners and wogs over here are like, just disgusting, that's just the truth, yeah. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. You fucking (indecipherable). I don't want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans and fucking (indecipherable) don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don't want fucking wogs living next to me with their standards. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for fuck's sake? We need to vote for Enoch Powell, he's a great man, speaking truth. Vote for Enoch, he's our man, he's on our side, he'll look after us. I want all of you here to vote for Enoch, support him, he's on our side. Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Clams wrote:
http://www.countrystandardtime.com/d/ar ... sp?xid=360
thanks, first time I've read that from him

whatwouldcooleydo?

ah, the Gary Stewart Artist of the Week was during my hiatus from 3DD

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

both from longhaired redneck lp.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smitty wrote:At the same time, there's incidents involving Eric Clapton, Morrissey, David Bowie, Phil Anselmo hell even Elvis Costello that they seemingly get passes for. That's not to excuse DAC's two deplorable records, but I think it's interesting whose transgressions are forgotten about compared to others'.
The Bowie and Costello things have the advantages of being one-offs which didn't match up with their public personas. That's hard to say about your second LP. Plus their apologies seemed sincere and their explanations credible.

I still haven't forgiven Clapton, and he still hasn't changed.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've never seen that from Clapton.

IMO that's 10x worse that DAC's obviously tongue in cheek stuff. That's some sincere, heartfelt hate.

What a jack off.

Clams

Post by Clams »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:to this day I remained stunned by how many people don't know of (or maybe pretend it didn't happen) Clapton's Enoch Powell rant in 1976 at a concert in Birmingham, England. Here's what he said:

Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. Wogs I mean, I'm looking at you. Where are you? I'm sorry but some fucking wog...Arab grabbed my wife's bum, you know? Surely got to be said, yeah this is what all the fucking foreigners and wogs over here are like, just disgusting, that's just the truth, yeah. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. You fucking (indecipherable). I don't want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans and fucking (indecipherable) don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don't want fucking wogs living next to me with their standards. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for fuck's sake? We need to vote for Enoch Powell, he's a great man, speaking truth. Vote for Enoch, he's our man, he's on our side, he'll look after us. I want all of you here to vote for Enoch, support him, he's on our side. Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!
Count me as one who's never heard of that before. I had no idea. Wow.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Another first timer re the Clapton diatribe. Totally shocking, both in substance and me being unaware of it. But OTOH, see my recent post in the assholes thread - i am oriented to not "following" the artists I enjoy and here's a perfect example of why that's a good thing because this is seriously bad stuff.

I think JohnA's right about Costello & Bowie - one offs that were so at odds w/ their public personas and which (at least in costello's case, don't really know about bowie but assume the same) they fought hard and directly to overcome. Like I've said in other contexts mostly in the politics thread, "controversies" tend to gain steam when they confirm or feed into pre-existing public images. The reverse is also true - if they don't seem consistent, they do seem to fade even if they're a cause celebre in the short term.

I know that DAC's reputation kept me from getting into his music initially but when I started reading positive stuff about him here I did check out some of the recommended music and had no problem enjoynig and appreciating it. OTOH, I've never become more than a casual fan and my original impression probably plays a part in that.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:to this day I remained stunned by how many people don't know of (or maybe pretend it didn't happen) Clapton's Enoch Powell rant in 1976 at a concert in Birmingham, England. Here's what he said:

+1. Rather shocking. This is the guy who made a fortune and became perhaps one of the most respected musicians within a musical style that's a direct product of a multi cultural and multi ethnic society.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

whatwouldcooleydo?

Clams wrote:

Like I said, it's pretty amazing. I know so many people who are incredibly well-read when it comes to all things music and they just have never heard about it. This incident and others were a huge catalyst in the Rock Against Racism movement in the UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Against_Racism

it seems by and large like he never really had to account for his disgusting rant. Lucky for him this wasn't in the cellphone age. From the above link: Clapton later claimed that his remarks were made as a joke, and that he did not know anything about politics at the time. In a 2007 interview, however, he said he still supports Powell, and that he doesn't view Powell as a racist

If you aren't familiar with Enoch Powell I suggest some online research and then you decide if he was a racist

The Clash at the first big Rock Against Racism concert in London

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clapton's shit makes me even madder considering he made his living co-opting black music styles.

JJAllin

Post by JJAllin »

I'm not gonna lie - it was a LONG fucking time into hearing those songs (from the "Underground/X-Rated Records) before it "clicked" for me. Even the biggest offenders, as far as the cursing and just overall "raunch" factor almost always served to make a fool out of the author, in the end ("and finger-fucking Sally - she became my wife") or the last lines of "Susie Shallow Throat".

The only 2 songs that factor into any sorta racism would be (obviously) "Ni**er Fuckers" and "Lay Me Down Some Rails" (which honestly, is only one quick line but is MORE of an "offender", IMO, vs. the former). I actually sat and played that song to a black friend of mine, not this past FRI, but the FRI before and I asked him "what is YOUR opinion of that" - he said "I think it makes Coe look like HE IS the one that got fucked by the black man" - and I said EXACTLY! That is EXACTLY what that song ultimately says. Other than the word "ni**ger" and when he says "greasy", it actually makes the black man look BY FAR more "adequate" and more desirable vs. the author. As for "LMDSR"? Well, that whole damn song is just one big ole silly goof that is making a joke outta pretty much every silly-ass thing. I don't consider the well-known "If That Ain't Country" to be racist.

I just see a man that WAS ONCE "the ni**er" while serving his time. A man that was raised when those words were still used and was likely still tossing that word around quite often through the 70's and potentially even the 80's. I think he finally grew up, along with society and started laying off a bit - that is - until the last decade or so (as, since then, he has simply become one big, cantankerous old man that is incredibly bitter, IMO so, he no longer CARES to rip off one or two of the "X-Rated" songs at a live show any more, after going for a long time never doing that shit and trying to live it down).

Also, when I first heard a song like "Anita Bryant", I actually thought it was an ANTI homosexual song for some odd reason - but it's not. It's a PRO homosexual stance, making Anita Bryant the butt of that particular joke.

I can now, that I'm older and have really thought through these things, HEAR those "X-Rated" songs and her Coe making himself the butt of most of the jokes (there's also an unreleased "X-Rated" track, just known as "Spanish Dirty Song" he used to do in which, again, he is the "butt of the joke"). I could go through the entire 20 songs, but I'll refrain from that.

I just don't think that the guy was ever a "racist". I don't think it's "racist" to go parading around the word "ni**er" - it's just, in this day and time either pure ignorance or purely being rude (think Axl Rose in the GNR song "One In A Million" - guy isn't racist, as, I mean he played next to a bi-racial man for years - but that was pure ignorance on his part to think he could get away with using the word "ni**er" and the word "faggot" in that song). But it doesn't make a man a racist just to say/use that word IMO.

You go back and listen to Coe's (very odd) "Requiem For A Harlequin" LP and there are some pretty blatantly ANTI-RACIST lyrics throughout. So - again - while I don't think he's racist (if he was, I don't think he would allow black members into his band - nor would he be hanging out with certain blacks and/or guys like KID ROCK whom have bi-racial children) - I DO think that he sabotaged a great portion of his career in choosing to use that word. I just think he was trying to up the ante with that whole "outlaw" bullshit and always trying to parade himself around as the biggest and the baddest and the most authentic of the entire lot of 'em. Just my opinion.

Also, I really do NOT want to debate this back and forth with anyone, so I will refrain from that (and acknowledge that anyone and everyone here has a perfectly good right to disagree with everything I wrote above). I don't even LIKE those 2 songs (N. Fucker/Lay Me Down Some Rails), so it was never really that big of an issue for me. I do love some of those "X-Rated" songs, but there's a good hand full or more of 'em that never did much for me ("Linda Lovelace"/"Pussywhipped Again"/"Don't Bite The Dick"...etc.). I do like the sarcastic take on K. Roger's "Gamber" in "Pick 'Em, Lick 'Em & Stick 'Em" (containing one of my favorite lines, maybe ever in "told her love was like a pimple, once you squeeze the juices out, it just goes away :lol: ).

The "magic" of Coe is going from a song like "Longhaired Redneck" or "Sense of Humor" (the more angry/outlaw and ramped up songs) to something so beautiful and tender like "Canteen of Water".

As for the "Desperadoes" opinions (I think it was you Smitty) and your mention of "Heartworn Hwys."? I have heard that version (many times actually, as I LOVE that film), but I still think the Coe version is the superior one. Again, it just reminds me so much of something like what Nirvana did with Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" on the "Unplugged" release (that version of that song is chill-bump inducing to me - even Kurt's vocals on that sucker are just over-flowing in emotion. It surprised me not one little iota when he committed suicide roughly 5 months later as you could hear it in his voice throughout that entire set, and ESPECIALLY as WDYSLN was going through it's last couple of min. or so).

I would most def. urge anyone to NOT allow any preconceived notions of DAC being a "racist" to prevent them from seeking out some of the man's music (and those that have requested me to make them a comp.? I will most def. NOT put any of those tracks on anything like that - anyone that feels the need to hear those can rather easily seek those out for themselves).

Glad to see (especially after an initial post of that great a length) some DAC fans around here. I just think the guy, whether doing his own original material OR taking someone else's song, sticking it in his back pocket and pulling it out later and making it entirely HIS - I think he's a genius at what he does. I'm happy (despite the fact that I certainly do not much care for the man on a personal level) that he is still living (especially seeing his SUV after that truck slammed into it a couple of years back - he could have EASILY been killed in that and I am sorta surprised that he either wasn't OR at least that he wasn't wounded to the point to where he would no longer be able to tour or do music anymore).

JJAllin

Post by JJAllin »

Oh, and I'll also add, I had absolutely NO IDEA about that Clapton shit. WOW :shock:

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Take This Tax Bill And Shove It: Outlaw Country Singer Ordered To Pay IRS Nearly $1 Million

David Allan Coe, pictured during an interview in Nashville, Tenn., May 9, 1983, says he was able to vent some of his emotions while in prison
by writing songs.

AP Photo/Mark Humphrey

gutshot

Post by gutshot »

JJAllin and Smitty,
You named some of my very favorite songs in your posts. Canteen of Water tops my list. Sense of Humor. 33rd of August. I Still Sing the Old Songs. Dime posted another favorite with Spotlight.

Bright Morning Light
Piece of Wood and Steel
Play Me a Sad Song
San Francisco Mabel Joy
Hey Gypsy
Houston, Dallas, San Antone
I've Got To Have You
Whole Lot of Lonesome
Heavenly Father, Holy Mother
Revenge (!!)
Texas Lullaby
Living on the Run
Punkin Center Barn Dance
Laid Back and Wasted
Under Rachel's Wings
Greener Than the Grass We Laid On
Ride Me Down Easy
Cocaine Carolina with Johnny Cash

I never intended to make this list so long but there is so much good DAC music out there that you don't have to ever touch the X Rated or greatest hits stuff.

As far as his live shows go, I've seen him about a half a dozen times. I've always said the best concert I ever saw was a DAC show (a few days after Waylon died) and the worst concert I ever saw was another DAC show. You never know with him
The sun, it rises one more time, and I'm still standing here.

bathmalts

Post by bathmalts »

It's pretty refreshing for me to see appreciation on the site for David Allan Coe and his music. He was probably the first artist that I really got into to the point where I would actually study up on them and their lives. Unfortunately i was born much too late to have seen him when he was still putting on good shows, and I have no interest in seeing him, given the things I've heard about his shows in the last decade or so. If I'm ever coincidentally in the same city as him I'll probably go, but i don't care enough to drive somewhere to see him.

I don't know if anybody has on here yet or if anybody even wants one, but i can make some killer DAC playlists
I've seen Jesus play with flames in a lake of fire