r&r cage match 7: auerbach-black keys vs.white-white stripes

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

joelle

r&r cage match 7: auerbach-black keys vs.white-white stripes

Post by joelle »

Image VS Image

so much great work: bands, solo, producers, engineers
midwest roots : ohio/detroit
grammys
multi instrumentalists

both now in nashville

both heavily influenced by the early american blues scene

both known to work with some great "undiscovered" artists as well as, perhaps, invigorating careers for national treasures

auerbach:jessica lea mayfield, hacienda, valerie june,lana del ray, ray lamontagne, nikki lane, lee fields, and Dr.John (* Blakroc)

jack white: the raconteurs, the dead weather,danger mouse, wanda jackson, jerry lee lewis, loretta lynn

**weird fact: both have worked with JEFF the brotherhood

black keys: formed in 2001
8 albums in 12 years
i am not deeply familiar with the early work . Brothers 2010 is my favorite of theirs.
Keep it Hid ( auerbach solo) was my favorite album of 2009

white stripes: formed in 1997
6 albums in 8 years
2 very strong solo albums (lots of collaborations)

such a good match up. lots of excellence from both.

my opinion, after much deliberation, and extensive use of the instant replay...

jack white for the win

bonus points for owning a Cubs shirt

cheers to auerbach though- a good fight

thought?? opinions,assholes

Dean

Re: r&r cage match 7: auerbach-black keys vs.white-white str

Post by Dean »

While Auerbach is a monster guitarist and I like some of their stuff, this isn't even close imo.

Jack's songwriting blows them away. Although, their last release was a step forward in this department.

This comparison is made all the more appropriate by their recent spat.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

White. Easy choice for me.

For one, I think he's been more influential. Hell, when the Black Keys started blowing up, I couldn't help but feel they were kind of ripping White off with the whole "color/object" name and "we don't need no stinking bass" thing.

That said, the Black Keys have put out plenty of really solid albums, and I own the bulk of their discography. Something about Auerbach rubs me the wrong way. White has a little bit of it too, but I think he's a stronger songwriter and I prefer his riffs as well.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Auerbach's more recent work really sours me on him
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

jack white's ego is in danger of suffocating him. and the rest of this planet.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

tinnitus photography wrote:jack white's ego is in danger of suffocating him. and the rest of this planet.
That's what I was alluding to. I'd also argue that Auerbach's is just as bad, and has a few more layers of douche thrown in.

Doesn't stop me from listening to either of them, though, I guess.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

Early Black Keys is a whole other beast. Straight blues band at time, others a little more MC5. Can't say I don't like the new stuff but it's not really in the same game.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Black Keys hands down especially for the reasons StormandStatic mentioned. I find some of Jack's stuff unlistenable but when it's good, it's damn good.

This is a pretty bad ass clip from It Might Get Loud.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Can't we all just get along?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Dean

Post by Dean »

Jack has been pretty upfront about the influence Flat Duo Jets and Dex had on him

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Jack White has said repeatedly that Dan Auerbach is straight copying him. And as much as I hate to give Jack White credit, I kinda agree with him.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Jack knew when his musical tastes had outgrown White Stripes, so he moved on.

Dan hasn't learned that lesson yet
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:Jack knew when his musical tastes had outgrown White Stripes, so he moved on.

Dan hasn't learned that lesson yet
That and Meg wanting to withdraw from the public eye. IIRC, the end of the White Stripes had a lot to do with her wanting to get away from being a celebrity.

But yeah, Jack White is definitely in a different place musically than he was 10 years ago.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i always enjoyed the flak that Billy Childish tossed Jack's way:
http://www.nme.com/news/billy-childish- ... oats/22394

Dean

Post by Dean »

I'd say Jack's winning

joelle

Post by joelle »

Rocky wrote:Jack White has said repeatedly that Dan Auerbach is straight copying him. And as much as I hate to give Jack White credit, I kinda agree with him.
i disagree w this. "straight out copying" is a huge stretch.
auerbach has a unique sound and tremendous talent.
Keep It Hid is an outstanding album.
i am a big fan of his work on Jessica Lea Mayfield and Valerie June's stuff.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Without question, Jack White. A legend and likely on pace as a future two-time Rock and Roll HOF for both White Stripes and solo.

Jack has paid credit to the Flat Duo Jets every occasion he could get to speak about his greatest influence. And as good as they were, Jack White writes more eclectic and more diverse songs to my ears. Critical acclaim aside. (I'll admit though that less knowledge than most on the Flat Duo Jets, just chiming in) So no Flat Duo Jets, likely no White Stripes. So give credit where credit is due.

But compared to The Black Keys, not even a question. Jack White would kick Auerbach's ass in a first fight too.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

joelle wrote:
Rocky wrote:Jack White has said repeatedly that Dan Auerbach is straight copying him. And as much as I hate to give Jack White credit, I kinda agree with him.
Joelle just to be clear Jack White thinks that Auerbach is copying him, not me. However from the two piece band to the similar name to same style music to moving to the same city I have to say I can kinda see his point.

Jack White said "I’ll hear TV commercials where the music’s ripping off sounds of mine, to the point I think it’s me. Half the time, it’s The Black Keys.”
He was also talking about how bands open up certain styles and said “in our absence, you’re gonna find someone to fill that. And you get a band like The Black Keys, who said they never heard of The White Stripes? Sure.”
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Dean

Post by Dean »

Rocky wrote:
joelle wrote:
Joelle just to be clear Jack White thinks that Auerbach is copying him, not me. However from the two piece band to the similar name to same style music to moving to the same city I have to say I can kinda see his point.

Jack White said "I’ll hear TV commercials where the music’s ripping off sounds of mine, to the point I think it’s me. Half the time, it’s The Black Keys.”
He was also talking about how bands open up certain styles and said “in our absence, you’re gonna find someone to fill that. And you get a band like The Black Keys, who said they never heard of The White Stripes? Sure.”

jack is just playing the odds here, seeing as how the Black Keys have licensed half their catalog to commercials

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

joelle wrote:
I agree with all of this.

I think I love that solo album more than all the Black Keys/White Stripes stuff combined---and how can Jack White outgrow the White Stripes (basically himself)--you just find different ways to market and package your talent. I don't think he's come close since---Raconteurs had melody at least (more with BB's contributions, though). Jack White fans are more disciple-ish than a lot of fans of other bands, eating up everything he puts out even when it sounds like garbage. At least the Black Keys get flack for getting commercialized, generitized, pop-sounding, and over-produced. But overall, like someone posted above, White Stripes best is still miles better than BK-the problem is it's so far in between the other stuff he does.

And yeah, they're both assholes---as you can see from most of their interviews. Jack White more embarrassing though, as he reiterates the copying thing in every interview. Like Dan said, he didn't have the market on garage-blues.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Penny Lane wrote:
joelle wrote:
I agree with all of this.

I think I love that solo album more than all the Black Keys/White Stripes stuff combined---and how can Jack White outgrow the White Stripes (basically himself)--you just find different ways to market and package your talent. I don't think he's come close since---Raconteurs had melody at least (more with BB's contributions, though). Jack White fans are more disciple-ish than a lot of fans of other bands, eating up everything he puts out even when it sounds like garbage. At least the Black Keys get flack for getting commercialized, generitized, pop-sounding, and over-produced. But overall, like someone posted above, White Stripes best is still miles better than BK-the problem is it's so far in between the other stuff he does.

And yeah, they're both assholes---as you can see from most of their interviews. Jack White more embarrassing though, as he reiterates the copying thing in every interview. Like Dan said, he didn't have the market on garage-blues.
For the record, I've never cared - nor claimed to care - for the Dead Weather. "Blunderbuss" didn't stick with me much either, but I like it (not love it) when I do take the time to listen.

Dean

Post by Dean »

For the record, I've never cared - nor claimed to care - for the Dead Weather. "Blunderbuss" didn't stick with me much either, but I like it (not love it) when I do take the time to listen.

same here regarding the Dead Weather, love most everything else he does