Wrecking Crew plays, director speaks free Oct 14 at UALR!

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Wrecking Crew plays, director speaks free Oct 14 at UALR!

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

In Billboard Magazine, Phil Gallo wrote:The film, which started in 1996 with a roundtable conversation featuring Tommy Tedesco, who died in 1997, Blaine, bassist Carol and saxophonist Plas Johnson, premiered at SXSW in 2008 and has played two dozen film festivals since. But the daunting task of clearing 110 songs – at least 90 of them being top 40 hits such as "Good Vibrations," "These Boots are Made for Walkin'" and "Mr. Tambourine Man" – and paying the session musicians their residuals kept the film in festival-only limbo.
Last edited by John A Arkansawyer on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Markalanbishop

Re: The Wrecking Crew documentary opens March 13th

Post by Markalanbishop »

Finally saw this on Netflix. Was struck by how those guys were pretty much the last of an era. They were fairly old/experienced professional musicians by the time rock and roll hit and could all read like motherfuckers. This is hyperbolic, but I got the impression from the roundtable discussions that they adopted the genre because they were businessmen first and musicians second. The talk always came back to money and how many songs they could cut in a 6 hour session, except for all of them acknowledging that Brian Wilson was a genius savant.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Saw this recently myself. Liked it a lot. There's a companion CD boxset which I may look at. When my current Patti Smith/Lou Reed obsession wanes a bit.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Just saw it myself this week. I found it a little too Tedesco-centric for obvious reasons.

I find it very hypocritical that people used to give The Monkees tons of shit for not playing the instruments on their records when Sonny and Cher, The Mamas And The Papas, The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkle and The Beach Boys were doing the exact same thing.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Wrecking Crew plays, director speaks Oct 14 at UALR!

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I changed the headline because Denny Tedesco is bringing the movie here to Little Rock on Oct. 14. He'll talk about making it at 2PM, then screen it at 7:30PM, with a Q&A afterward. Both events are free. I'm going to have to skip out of choir practice early to catch the whole thing, which is a sacrifice I'm willing to make in this case.

Anyone nearby want to catch it? If so, look me up.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be