aotw mardi gras 2015: the kinks

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: aotw mardi gras 2015: the kinks

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:The single biggest factor separating career great artists from flashes of greatness artists to say nothing of wonderfully competent artists or your favorite local bar band is songwriting.

One can argue that "You Really Got Me" and "All Day..." are about the riff and that's a good argument and that's dave. But if the kinks are anything they're about their pretty much unique worldview (meaning more or less the subject matter of their songs) and the quality of individual songs and collections of songs and that's pretty much Ray. Take Dave out of the Kinks and Ray has a legendary cult career celebrated by anyone w/ taste. Take Ray out of the Kinks and dave is a professional musician - session work, backing solo artists on tours, forming and breaking up endless bands. Nothing wrong w/ that but unless he pulls off an eddie van halen - "beat it" moment (certainly possible), he spends his career totally in the shadows. To me that adds up to Ray being the Kinks' engine.

So where does "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" figure into your argument? That's one of the great Kinks songs.

I don't understand what your point is.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Ah, in a rare shift, I didn't take "sound" literally. It's late and I'm tired and not thinking well about anything but my immediate reaction is that actual sound-wise, it's pretty close to 50/50 and a lot closer to 50/50 than has been traditionally credited (ray usually getting the lion's share, just to be clear). W/out explanation that probably sounds like a cop out, but that's all i got right now.

Probably too simplistic and certainly a product of my own guesswork rather than actual knowledge, but I'd guess that the rock side of the Kinks comes mostly from Dave and the pop/english music hall/folk side comes mostly from Ray. They grew up in the same house and presumably heard the same influences so I doubt it's such a black and white division but it seems like a handy way to approach the subject. Both sides are evident in the music and each has predominated at different times but overall the kinks aren't really a hard rock band and even less of a blues influenced band and much more of a folk/traditional music influenced band, so again I'd give Ray the nod as having the larger influence on the band's sound but like i said, it's closer than many people think, except for the "opera period" that we're all about to learn a lot more about. That's gotta be mostly Ray.

maybe the 3 year age difference was really like 2 separate generations. ray being born during the war. dave being born post war. cosmically and spiritually and musically fits my ear and 1/2 assed theorizing pretty well.

and the kinks are most certainly a hard rock band.

respectfully.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:So where does "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" figure into your argument? That's one of the great Kinks songs.

I don't understand what your point is.

My point is that I forgot Ray wrote it because I associate it so strongly with Dave singing it. So I win the point--you can't argue with a bad memory. Come to think of it, you can't argue with a good memory, either--and lose the argument. Sounds fair to me.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:and the kinks are most certainly a hard rock band.

Which album would you pick as definitive or most representative of the Kinks as a hard rock band?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:

Which album would you pick as definitive or most representative of the Kinks as a hard rock band?

I'm not dime, but Lola is dripping with hard rock riffage.

dime in the gutter

Iowan wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I'm not dime, but Lola is dripping with hard rock riffage.

yes.

others: very obviously, the first 3. kinks,kinda and kontroversy eras.

from what i have heard.....they have serious riffage on most albums. arthur smokes in many places. face to face. even vgps has some sludge riffs and smokehouse lightning/holwing' wolf. i've been hearing act 1 for the first time in recent weeks. it's got a ton of great hard rock shit going on. misfits, sleepwalker, low budget, schoolboys in disgrace. i will warn you that my definition of hard rock may include a power ballad on occasion.

i never saw them live. what were thoughts on seeing them in the 70s? did they rock hard?

in my opinion.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I tumbled down the rabbit hole today and came upon this. I'm a firm believer in the idea that the best way to demonstrate the brilliance of a given song is to put it in someone else's hands, and watching it shine there.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Iowan wrote:

I tumbled down the rabbit hole today and came upon this. I'm a firm believer in the idea that the best way to demonstrate the brilliance of a given song is to put it in someone else's hands, and watching it shine there.

This captures the glorious noise I hear in my head.
Now it's dark.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

I didn't see them in the 70's so I'll leave that review in btb's very capable hands.
The one and only time I saw them was on the Low Budget tour in early 80's. I was and still am a big Kinks fan. My intro was buying You Really Got Me on a 45 when it came out. That, of course hooked me so I was READY to finally have a chance to see them live when they passed through Norman. It was a very underwhelming show, which made it extremely disappointing for me. They seemed to just be rushing through the set list that night. I wrote it off as "one of those nights" but I've talked to a few people through the years that agreed that they seemed to be mailing it in that night.
This is not to say I don't appreciate this band anymore, just that the one time I saw them was somewhat of a disappointment. And Ray seemed especially condescending.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image
coming soon.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Excellent stuff here Dime and Cortez! I've really enjoyed catching up on this thread. Looking forward to your take on the Preservation records as I have always considered those to be the worst Kinks albums. (I don't even own them anymore and barely remember them- I just remember that I thought they sucked monkey balls) Prove me wrong!
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

cortez the killer

- DPM

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

quick question, not meant to derail or cast a value judgment on whos better or anything:

how many of you kinks people have listened to the pretty things, and if so, thoughts? again, not saying either band is better but their career trajectories were very similar, down to the garage r&b beginning and concept album middle period, yet i dont recall the pretties ever popping up on this board

i realize you can find a popular band:lesser known peer relationship for pretty much every big act in history, but im listening to the first pretty things album now and got curious

cortez the killer

I am completely unfamiliar with The Pretty Things. If I were to dig in, where should I begin?
- DPM

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

before this they did the blown out r&b cover band thing, then recorded a handful of immortal singles all their own. ive youve heard nuggets youve heard a few, if not check rosalyn, midnight to six man, walking through my dreams, defecting grey, etc

then emotions and sf sorrow incorporate a wider range of psychedelic influences. their village green. many people regard sf sorrow as the first rock opera, for whatever thats worth, but the songs hold up on their own as well. balloon burning is another classic single, with an absolutely searing guitar riff. the new drummer on sf sorrow is twink, from the almost equally great and unheralded tomorrow (and, getting a bit heavier, the pink fairies. i love how incestuous 60's/70s rock was)

after sf sorrow they went in more arena/glam directions, but i havent heard enough of that material to personally vouch for it. parachutes comes to me highly recommended though.

nowhere near as prolific as the kinks, and they never had that soundtrack moment pushing them into cult favor, but id be shocked if anyone this down with the davies brothers isnt on board through sf sorrow at least

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

S.F. Sorrow is the one I'm most familiar with. I used to hear it a good deal on XM's Deep Tracks channel.

dime in the gutter

cortez the killer wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:Image
coming soon.
kinks/preservation act 1

released: november, 1973

facts:

*14th album in 9 years.
*i listened to this album for the 1st time ever just a few weeks ago.
*i'm not gonna try and break down the narrative too much....or any.
*another confusing album title.
*big attempt at a rock opera/musical/play that turned out to be so ambitious and long that it had to be split into 2 separate releases.
* preservation act 1-1973 and preservation act 2 (double album), 1974.
*revisits themes and ideals from village green preservation society lp.
*poorly received by critics and fans.
*eclectic mix of sounds and styles....as always....most excellent use of brass and wind and keys.
*i like it.
*plays like a musical bemoaning the all mighty dollar and it's evil root. why can't rock save us?

1. morning song: al jolsony/shirley jonesy technicolor sound scapes. love this. like the opening credits from a disney movie in the 50s/60s.

2. daylight: cool tune with horns and mystical, trippy guitar lines.....and steve mcqueen. that motherscratcher.

3. sweet lady genevieve: mid tempo ray davies sugar.

4. there's a change in the weather: duality. synth keys, horns and fuzz tone guitar giving way to freddy mercury pomp, sashay and drama.

5. where are they now: piano power ballad with excellent right hand action from brother dave.

6. one of the survivors: power chords and love notes to rock and roll. shout out to jerry lee lewis and dion and the bellemonts. dave shines.

7. cricket: typical ray fare. using cricket to extol the virtues of english society.

8. money and corruption/i am your man: irish pub stomp....ending with a plaintive ballad about class and advantage.

9. here comes flash: cartoon race. eastern flourishes from dave.

10. sitting in the midday sun: sounds like a theme song to a 70's sitcom. great vocals from brother ray.

11. demolition: more droll yet urgent delivery from ray. crazy back up vox. obvious who influence.

12. preservation: alice cooper joined the kinks? dave shines.

i enjoy this record for what it is. a diverse collection of weirdly eclectic songs......highlighting ray's sublime, subversive writing, dave's masterfully understated guitar lines and the kinks ability to pull many colored rabbits out of their asses.

still absorbing the narrative and storyline, but it does reveal themes that resonate. as always, kinks records are a process of evolving enjoyment and appreciation.

to be continued.....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I know I've heard this album but I don't remember a single thing from it and remember scratching my head upon its original release back in the day. I suspect I would like it more now (especially if i listened to it as album of songs rather than an "opera") but how much more I don't know.

Because I don't remember the question, this question is asked in the abstract: If an intended rock opera/musical is " a diverse collection of weirdly eclectic songs" is it automatically a failure on its own terms?

Re your earlier question: When I saw the Kinks they mostly rocked out but in sloppy fashion. As I remember it, the set list was oriented towards the rockers/hits.

cortez the killer

A lot of turmoil around the time of the writing, recording & release of this album. Ray’s wife Rasa leaves him in '73. Shortly after, Ray attempts suicide by overdosing on pills before a concert. He announces he is quitting the music industry during the show and is later rushed to the hospital to have his stomach pumped. The duality of stardom taking its toll on Ray.
dime in the gutter wrote:sweet lady genevieve: mid tempo ray davies sugar.

One of the better songs off PA1. Told from the perspective of the story's narrator, The Tramp, it is a plea for his lady to take him back. He acknowledges his flaws & mistakes, but wants another chance. Many have speculated the man in the song is Ray and Genevieve is actually Rasa.

Once under a scarlet sky I told you never ending lies,
But they were the words of a drunken vagabond
Who knew very well he would break your heart before long
Oh forgive me Genevieve.

Now I've come back to see Sweet Lady Genevieve,
This time I'll give you some security
And I won't make promises I can't keep
So will you come back to me Sweet Lady Genevieve.

Let me rock you, hold you,
Take you in my arms.
Forgive me, please,
Smile away all your sadness, put your trust in me.

Oh if you come back to me Sweet Lady Genevieve,
I'm not the impetuous fool that you used to know
I know that I used you and I hurt you so,
But that was so long ago Sweet Lady Genevieve.

Oh, love me,
Take me in your arms.
Let me rock you, hold you,
Smile away all your sadness, put your trust in me.

Once under a starry sky I led you on and told you lies
Drank too much whiskey on that hot summer night.
I acted so slyly because you were acting so shy,
Oh forgive me Genevieve.

If you come back to me Sweet Lady Genevieve,
You're not the child who smiled so innocently
And I'm not the rogue that I used to be,
So will you come back to me Sweet Lady Genevieve.

Oh Genevieve, Oh Genevieve.
- DPM

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:I know I've heard this album but I don't remember a single thing from it and remember scratching my head upon its original release back in the day. I suspect I would like it more now (especially if i listened to it as album of songs rather than an "opera") but how much more I don't know.

Because I don't remember the question, this question is asked in the abstract: If an intended rock opera/musical is " a diverse collection of weirdly eclectic songs" is it automatically a failure on its own terms?
On the surface, this is a valid critique/question of Preservation Act. Act One does not spend a lot of time getting into the actual plot. It sort of introduces us to many of the characters (The Tramp, Mr. Flash, Mr. Black to name some of the more prominent ones) that will play keys roles in the plot-heavy Act Two. I'm still in the process of digesting it all and hope to have a write-up on it soon.
- DPM

cortez the killer

dime in the gutter wrote:preservation: alice cooper joined the kinks? dave shines.

Funky, sleazy 70's Kinks. Love it! It wasn't part of the original release of Preservation Act One, released instead as a single between Act One & Two. In subsequent reissues of the album, it's been tacked on the end.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

beantownbubba wrote: Because I don't remember the question, this question is asked in the abstract: If an intended rock opera/musical is " a diverse collection of weirdly eclectic songs" is it automatically a failure on its own terms?
clever ray. and clever btb. great post.

i hear lots of cool tunes and sounds and songwriting.....but have not put it all together in a broader overall sense.

cortez the killer

Preservation Act 2 (1974)
Ray’s wife Rasa leaves him in 1973. Shortly after, Ray attempts suicide by overdosing on pills before a concert. He announces he is quitting the music industry during the show and is later rushed to the hospital to have his stomach pumped. 1973 saw Dave & Ray get their own recording studio, Konk Studios, in London. Double-edged sword – no studio fees and no time constraints in getting a record recorded. However, a perfectionist like Ray would overly obsess over every little detail. Preservation Act 2 failed to chart and was largely viewed by both critics and fans as an overly self-indulgent project. They might’ve nailed it. Ray refers to the Preservation records as his “lifelong project” and Preservation & Village Green as “my trilogy”. The three albums share the following common themes - community, the working class, enjoying the simple pleasures in life, and nostalgia. This is a rock opera in the truest sense. Where Act 1 set the scene, Act 2 is incredibly heavy on plot and delivered in a matter-of-fact manner. Adding to the overall density, Act 2 is also a double album. We get to better know the two characters introduced in Act 1, Mr. Flash the greedy capitalist and Mr. Black the socialist dictator who overthrows Flash’s capitalist regime. The Tramp returns as well to narrate the affair. Act 2 also contains a series of “Announcements” scattered throughout to help better tell the story. Ray’s obvious influence as a philosopher is obvious – Albert Camus and absurdism.

Announcement
"It has been rumored that a new People's Army has been formed by a certain
'Commander Black'. A few minor incidents have already been reported, and further
unconfirmed reports suggest that this is a definite attempt to overthrow the
present government which is led by Mr. Flash.

"We would like to stress that these are only unconfirmed rumors, but we will
of course bring you up-to-date news and information on these reports as they
come in. Meanwhile we do urge the population not to panic and to remain calm
during the crisis."

Please stay tuned to this station for further bulletins.

Introduction to a Solution
The socialist (Mr. Black) is planning an attack on the capitalist (Mr. Flash). Ray plays the role of The Tramp, not picking a side, simply reporting on what is unfolding. Musically, we get Funky Kinks. Dave has discovered the wah-wah pedal.
While the politicians cover up mistakes that they've made
And all the promises, the lies and deceits.
A military coup has been long overdue

When a Solution Comes
Ray singing from the perspective of Mr. Black. The socialist takeover is underway. Love the acoustic strumming and the pedal steel-sounding keys. Dave lays down some excellent licks. Love the arrangement here - it builds very nicely and showcases several different instruments.
Yeah, I'm gonna change the world
I'm going to use a little manipulation
I'm going to build a new civilization

Money Talks
Bloated 70’s rock track that perfectly matches the swollen subject matter of the song and the record. Layered vocals, female back-up singers, horns and the band getting their trashy glam rock on. Obvious influence is obvious – The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars.
Money can't breathe and money can't see
But when I pull out a fiver people listen to me

Announcement
Announcer 1: "In just a few moments, Mr. Black is due to address the people.
We are now going over to live coverage of his speech."

Announcer 2: "Well the scenes here are absolutely indescribable. I've personally
never seen anything like it before. A crowd of around, what, thirty-thousand people
have been waiting all day for the arrival of Mr. Black and his entourage. And it is
expected that one of the main topics of his speech this evening will be the controversial
Anti-Puppet Corruption Bill, which Mr. Black wants brought into effect immediately
to put an end to the current widespread decline in public moral standards.

"And, just a minute, there he is. I can see Mr. Black now. He's surrounded by, of
course, all his bodyguards. And, as you can hear, the crowd is growing wild with excitement --
it's clapping, it's cheering -- as Mr. Black finally makes his way on that far side
onto the platform. And now -- yes, there he is -- he's about to speak.

Shepherds of the Nation
Ominous music, trumpets and what sounds like monks singing/chanting. It sounds like a high school band covering Black Sabbath. Would not sound out of place in a Monty Python film. Plot wise, Mr. Black is laying down the laws of his new nation state. There is little doubt Roger Waters took careful notes of Ray Davies’ songwriting, arrangements and love of thematic albums.
We are the national, guard
Against filth and depravity
Perversion and vulgarity
Homosexuality
Keep it clean

Scum of the Earth
Ray assumes the role of Mr. Flash. He tries to answer the critiques of Mr. Black and pleads his case as being seen as a human being, as opposed to the money-hungry monster he is portrayed as. Musically, this an over-the-top theatrical production.
They call me the scum of the earth
They say I'm the scab of the nation
But deep inside I'm only human

Second Hand Car Spiv
Flash goes further in trying to humanize himself with a peek into where he came from – a “Dead End Street”-type upbringing. Musically it is just as theatrical and campy as the previous song.
I am a product of mass produced factory fodder
Streets full of tenement blocks, rat infested filth and squalor

He’s Evil
Black responds to Flash’s claims and recasts him as an evil monster. Dave unleashes some great riffs. Far less campy and more of a 70’s rock feel here. Return of the funky keys and wah-wah pedaltry. Sonically, a precursor to the upcoming Arista period.
He comes on smooth, cool and kind
But he wants your body not your mind
He is just the devil in disguise

Mirror of Love
Sung from the perspective of one of Flash’s floozies, Belle, Ray indulges his roraring-20’s themed blues side. Piano, clarinet and trumpet are featured. One of the album’s standouts.
Why I love you though you treat me bad
'Cos when I look at you I'm looking through the mirror of love

Announcement
"News has just reached us of a major victory for Mr. Black and the People's Army.
The battle took place on the outskirts of a small village somewhere in the Northern
Zone. Casualties on both sides are reported to have been very high, indeed. And
our on-the-spot correspondent describes the fighting as some of the fiercest in
living memory. No quarter has been shown on either side."

Nobody Gives
The Tramp returns to provide context without choosing any sides. Plenty of shame and blame to go ‘round. A cautionary tale of apathy run wild.
Nobody gives. Nobody gives a damn any more
The politicians, unions, workers and the militants
The fact of it is nobody gives any more

Oh Where Oh Where Is Love?
The Tramp’s last appearance on the album is a duet. Another nostalgic plea for the good old days, Ray (through The Tramp) wonders where love, romance, kindness, sympathy, trust, joy, faith and sympathy have gone in this mean old world. Strong connection to The Village Green Preservation Society.
Where is love and romance
And appreciation of storybooks, fairytales
And the ordinary things people did long ago

Flash’s Dream (The Final Elbow)
I suppose this play a role in helping tell the story, but this track sucks. Another “announcement” would’ve worked/fit better. It sounds like Darth Vader narrating a part in a remake of A Christmas Carol. This must be the track Gator has in mind when he says these Preservation records suck monkey balls.
You lied and schemed and took over a simple village
And turned it into a vulgar playground
For your own money-making ends

Flash’s Confession
Horns and drums at the beginning make it sound like another announcement is on the way. Not the case. Instead we get more trashy, glam rock Kinks, with the shadow of Bowie looming large. Dave is infatuated with his new guitar effects. Sounds a bit like Frampton. Getting back to the plot, Flash is a beaten, broken man. He is ready to admit defeat and come clean.
I've opened up my body and looked inside
And I'm everything that I once despised

Nothing Lasts Forever
Another duet, Flash makes an unsuccessful last-ditch effort to salvage his relationship with Belle (of “Mirror of Love” fame). Displaying incredible versatility, Ray’s vocals are filled with tender emotion.
Time goes by it takes us all
Nations crumble and empires fall

Announcement
At Six A.M. this morning the victorious People's Army overthrew the corrupt regime
that has been ruling over our country. It is reported that Mr. Flash and his
gang were all been taken prisoner. They have been taken to a secret hideout where
they will be tried for treason by a People's Court.

Artificial Man
Obvious influence is obvious – Mott the Hoople. Themes from Muswell Hillbillies on full display, with Mr. Black and his scientists looking forward to the creation of “antiseptic world, ruled by artificial people.” With the peppy music and female chorus, you’d never know this was such an ominous tale. At times, Ray sounds a lot like Wall-era Roger Waters. Or should I say Roger Waters on The Wall sounds a lot like Preservation-era Ray Davies.
Well here's your chance to be a total automaton
'Cos we've improved on God's creation
An outdated homo sapien

Scrapheap City
Ray’s voice is nowhere to be heard. Sung entirely by female vocalists, this is Belle’s final appearance on the record. She bemoans the new sterile world, stripped of all its beauty, style, quality, and purity. It’s not too far removed from what Ray sang of on Muswell Hillbillies – “They're putting us in identical little boxes, no character just uniformity.” Keeping with the MH influence, heavy country vibe on this track.
They say that good manners belong on a heap
They say they're outdated and they're obsolete
And now they're coming to take me away
To Scrapheap City

Announcement
A state of emergency was declared by the government at Eight A.M. today. It was
stated that this step has been taken in the interest of national security. And the
emergency measures set out in today's announcement will remain in force for an
indefinite period.

"Curfew will take effect as from this evening, and will operate between Nine P.M. and
Six A.M. each day. The curfew will be enforce by patrols from the People's Army,
and severe penalties are to be imposed on anyone found on the streets during the
daily curfew period.

"Food rationing is to be introduced immediately, and shops will only be allowed to
open for a period of three hours each day. Restrictions on the use of petrol start
immediately. Restrictions on the use of electricity, gas and water will also be
announced shortly.

"All places of public entertainment will be closed until further notice. All
television channels are now closed down, and radio broadcasts will operate on this
channel only.

"And now, here is the People's Choir singing the new nation anthem, which led our
victorious troops into battle!

Salvation Road
A Communist/Socialist nation is born. Acoustic guitar and flute get this one started. Lyrically, Ray gives a nod to Huxley’s Brave New World with “Goodbye youth, goodbye dreams, the good times and the friends I used to know. Goodbye freedom, hello fear, a brave new world has suddenly appeared.”
Got no time to live a life
With old worn-out traditions
Swallowed my pride
Changed my ways
And found a new religion
- DPM

cortez the killer

Non-album track from Preservation Act 2 sessions. Shows up on the 1998 reissue of the album. "Dead End Street" --> "Second Hand Car Spiv" --> "Slum Kids" --> "Father Christmas"
- DPM

cortez the killer

Re: aotw mardis gras 2015: the kinks

dime in the gutter wrote:strangers: dave davies. amazing performance and perfect song. beautiful, plaintive, sad, innocent. acoustic with trippy dirge drums at the end. soul bearing. illustrates mindset of our struggling band. one of the kinks best ever.
So you've been where I've just come
From the land that brings losers on
So we will share this road we walk
And mind our mouths and beware our talk
this tune is also an olive branch to his older brother. i think that dave's lifestyle had long irked ray, this song was an attempt to mend that broken fence.
Strangers on this road we are on
We are not two we are one

Incredible song. As you said, one of the Kinks best ever. Strong early 70's-weirdo Neil Young-After the Gold Rush vibe.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

cortez...great job on act 2. digging in now for a 1st spin.

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

Mr. Flash (Ray) & Mr. Black (Dave) with a couple of "floozies".
- DPM

dime in the gutter

cortez the killer wrote:Image
Mr. Flash (Ray) & Mr. Black (Dave) with a couple of "floozies".
looks like one of bono's stage characters.

cortez the killer

Obvious influence is obvious?
- DPM