aotw mardi gras 2015: the kinks

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: aotw mardi gras 2015: the kinks

Post by Jonicont »

Wonder if he's been following

Always go to the show

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Nice. Looks good on Jay. Who is he with? David Watts?

Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Cortez? Dime? What's the hold up? You aren't done yet! State of Confusion is next!
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I saw this documentary (along with one on Dave Davies, one on the Sex Pistols, and one on The Clash) at Lincoln Center yesterday with director Julien Temple in attendance.

When introducing the 2 Davies documentaries, Temple referred to Oasis and Blur as "nice tribute bands." Well said Mr. Temple. :lol:

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer wrote:I wonder if Pete raised a ruckus.
he knew/knows that he stole it first from you really got me. same producer even, i think.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Really: Kinks’ Ray & Dave Davies Perform Together

Ray Davies (L) performing “You Really Got Me” with brother Dave Davies in London, December 18, 2015.
(Pic via Facebook account of Jonathan Wood)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams

Post by Clams »

This week's American Songwriter Lyric of the Week features The Kinks song Strangers:

When casual fans consider the division of labor in The Kinks, they likely think of Ray Davies as the songwriter and frontman and brother Dave as the flamethrower on lead guitar. But close followers of the band can easily find several times throughout the band’s storied career when Dave Davies took over lead duties, as both songwriter and vocalist, and triumphed. “Death Of A Clown,” listed originally as a solo tune by Dave but included on the band’s wonderful Something Else album, and “Living On A Thin Line,” a moody 80’s anthem, are just two standout examples of many.

Perhaps Dave Davies’ most poignant moment out in front of the band came with his sweetly sorrowful ballad “Strangers,” which can be found on 1970’s Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One. While “Lola” got most of the attention as the hit single and an example of Ray’s clever subversion of societal mores, “Strangers” has endured as one of The Kinks’ most heartfelt ballads.

As Dave explained in a 2010 interview with Stay Thirsty magazine, a thwarted friendship was the impetus for the lyrics. “We were dear friends,” Davies said, talking about his pre-Kinks buddy George Harris. “Actually, George and I were going to start a band, but he got too heavily into drugs and it kind of pulled us apart. The drug thing was like a three-way affair. He died of a methamphetamine overdose. They found him departed … he was young. I always felt it was going to be me and him. I didn’t think at that age that it was going to be me and Ray. So I really kind of wrote it to him; ‘Strangers on this road we are on, we are not two we are one.’ It was like, what might of been if he hadn’t died so tragically.”

“Strangers” acts a kind of companion piece to Ray’s “Days,” another acoustic track that vacillates somewhere between tribute and lament. The narrator of this song addresses a friend who seems to have separated from him on life’s journey. What emerges is not just a portrait of the lost pal but also of the person who’s searching for him.

The repeated line “If I live too long I’m afraid I’ll die” is Davies’ homage to Hank Williams’ “I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive,” and it’s also a telling admission of the narrator’s fear of what lies ahead. It’s why he keeps reaching out to his friend for reassurance, asking him questions and promising him fidelity even in the face of a void between them which can’t be breached. “So I will follow you wherever you go,” Davies sings. “If your offered hand is still open to me.”

The narrator tells how he is beset by company he doesn’t want to keep (“I see many people coming after me”), and promises to shed all burdens just to be reunited with his true companion: “And if I feel tomorrow like I feel today/ We’ll take what we want and give the rest away.” Yet they paths fail to intersect, one always a little bit behind the other: “So you’ve been where I’ve just come.”

For all this frustration and torment (“And my mind is proud but it aches with rage”), the warmth of the song’s sentiment eventually wins the day, especially when we get to the simple, lovely refrain: “We are not two, we are one.” It promises a bond that can’t be torn apart by circumstance, time, even death. These two are “Strangers” to all but each other, and, in this poignant example of Dave Davies’ underrated songwriting opportunities with The Kinks, that’s good enough for them.
https://americansongwriter.com/2017/06/ ... strangers/
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I always thought Dave Davies sounded a lot like Rick Danko. Maybe not quite as expressive, but vocally similar.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

cortez the killer

Clams wrote:This week's American Songwriter Lyric of the Week features The Kinks song Strangers:

When casual fans consider the division of labor in The Kinks, they likely think of Ray Davies as the songwriter and frontman and brother Dave as the flamethrower on lead guitar. But close followers of the band can easily find several times throughout the band’s storied career when Dave Davies took over lead duties, as both songwriter and vocalist, and triumphed. “Death Of A Clown,” listed originally as a solo tune by Dave but included on the band’s wonderful Something Else album, and “Living On A Thin Line,” a moody 80’s anthem, are just two standout examples of many.

Perhaps Dave Davies’ most poignant moment out in front of the band came with his sweetly sorrowful ballad “Strangers,” which can be found on 1970’s Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One. While “Lola” got most of the attention as the hit single and an example of Ray’s clever subversion of societal mores, “Strangers” has endured as one of The Kinks’ most heartfelt ballads.

As Dave explained in a 2010 interview with Stay Thirsty magazine, a thwarted friendship was the impetus for the lyrics. “We were dear friends,” Davies said, talking about his pre-Kinks buddy George Harris. “Actually, George and I were going to start a band, but he got too heavily into drugs and it kind of pulled us apart. The drug thing was like a three-way affair. He died of a methamphetamine overdose. They found him departed … he was young. I always felt it was going to be me and him. I didn’t think at that age that it was going to be me and Ray. So I really kind of wrote it to him; ‘Strangers on this road we are on, we are not two we are one.’ It was like, what might of been if he hadn’t died so tragically.”

“Strangers” acts a kind of companion piece to Ray’s “Days,” another acoustic track that vacillates somewhere between tribute and lament. The narrator of this song addresses a friend who seems to have separated from him on life’s journey. What emerges is not just a portrait of the lost pal but also of the person who’s searching for him.

The repeated line “If I live too long I’m afraid I’ll die” is Davies’ homage to Hank Williams’ “I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive,” and it’s also a telling admission of the narrator’s fear of what lies ahead. It’s why he keeps reaching out to his friend for reassurance, asking him questions and promising him fidelity even in the face of a void between them which can’t be breached. “So I will follow you wherever you go,” Davies sings. “If your offered hand is still open to me.”

The narrator tells how he is beset by company he doesn’t want to keep (“I see many people coming after me”), and promises to shed all burdens just to be reunited with his true companion: “And if I feel tomorrow like I feel today/ We’ll take what we want and give the rest away.” Yet they paths fail to intersect, one always a little bit behind the other: “So you’ve been where I’ve just come.”

For all this frustration and torment (“And my mind is proud but it aches with rage”), the warmth of the song’s sentiment eventually wins the day, especially when we get to the simple, lovely refrain: “We are not two, we are one.” It promises a bond that can’t be torn apart by circumstance, time, even death. These two are “Strangers” to all but each other, and, in this poignant example of Dave Davies’ underrated songwriting opportunities with The Kinks, that’s good enough for them.
Fantastic song! As I noted a few years ago in this thread, "Strangers" has a strong Band/After the Gold Rush vibe to it.

In the middle of a Kinks binge, Clams?
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Clams wrote:This week's American Songwriter Lyric of the Week features The Kinks song Strangers:

Fantastic song! As I noted a few years ago in this thread, "Strangers" has a strong Band/After the Gold Rush vibe to it.

In the middle of a Kinks binge, Clams?
Yeah, I can hear The Band in a big way on that one. Drumming and harmonies.

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote: In the middle of a Kinks binge, Clams?
Yes sir, I guess you could call it that.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Who's the American songwriter?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Who's the American songwriter?
Good point :lol:

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Holy shit! Dave Davies is touring!

14 Feb, 2018: The Roxy Theatre, West Hollywood, California.
16 Feb, 2018: Golden State Theatre, Monterey, California.
17 Feb, 2018: Uptown Theatre, Napa, California.
29 Mar, 2018: Paramount Hudson Valley Theater, Peekskill, New York.
30 Mar, 2018: Suffolk Theatre, Long Island, New York.
31 Mar, 2018: Tupelo Music Hall, Derry, New Hampshire.
2 Apr, 2018: City Winery, New York, New York
3 Apr, 2018: City Winery, New York, New York
5 Apr, 2018: Havana, New Hope, Pennsylvania.
6 Apr, 2018: Infinity Hall, Hartford, Connecticut
9 Apr, 2018: Rams Head, Annapolis, Maryland.
12 Apr, 2018: The Beacon Theatre, Hopewell, Virginia.
16 Apr, 2018: City Winery, Atlanta, Georgia.
19 Apr, 2018: Genesee Theatre, Waukegan, Illinois.
21 Apr, 2018: Medina Entertainment Center, Medina, Minnesota
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

cortez the killer

John A Arkansawyer wrote:6 Apr, 2018: Infinity Hall, Hartford, Connecticut
I'm fairly certain it's in Norfork, CT. I'm pretty excited. 8-)
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Nothing says spring into summer quite like the kinks. Love them this time of year.

John A Arkansawyer

Holy Shitballs!

Ray Davies: The Kinks are officially getting back together

Okay, it is in The Telegraph. But I want to believe! And tell me this doesn't sound like an authentic Ray of Sunshine:
"The trouble is, the two remaining members – my brother Dave and Mick – never got along very well. But I've made that work in the studio and it's fired me up to make them play harder, and with fire," Davies said, adding that he hoped to "recapture those moments...

"The Kinks will probably be playing the local bar."
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

cortez the killer

Multiple news sources are reporting this. Hopefully we get a tour, too!
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Q Awards: The Kinks reunite after 22-year feud & ‘burn the Tories’ punks Goat Girl win
Legendary rock band The Kinks appeared together for the first time in 22 years, when the classic songwriters accepted a special honour at the Q magazine awards.

Sir Ray, 74, revealed that he is working in the studio on new Kinks material with lead guitarist Dave, 71, and drummer Mick Avory, 74. A tour could follow.
I'm still not betting on the tour, but another record as good as Phobia would be very welcome.

And hey! Isn't that lost Dave Davies record he just released something else? I can't believe not one track of that has ever leaked out. There are great singles on that, especially for the prime FM radio era.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

John A Arkansawyer

I didn't believe in Robert Mueller. I do believe in Father Kinksmas.

John A Arkansawyer

I'll take "Things you never expected Dave Davies to say" for a thousand, Alex:

Ray was right about it

John A Arkansawyer

There is nothing quite so depressing and final as realizing you have become a character in a Ray Davies song.

dime in the gutter

or joyous and freeing?

potatoe/potatoe

cortez the killer

Don't go back to him he's a wife beater
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

dime in the gutter

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:03 pm
Tequila Cowboy wrote:by him describing one as being coming out of London and the other coming out of Hollywood I get the sense that he's discussing the sense of place with both but keep in mind that one place is home and the other is not.

Sense of place is hugely important in Davies' writing and I absolutely agree that the one song is rooted in London and the other in Hollywood and that he knows one better than the other. I just don't think they're the same.