aotw mardi gras 2015: the kinks

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

aotw mardi gras 2015: the kinks

Post by dime in the gutter »

Last edited by dime in the gutter on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clams

Re: kinks thread

Post by Clams »

Anyone see that new rock doc about the Kinks? I DVR'ed it a few weeks ago off of (I think) the local PBS station but I haven't watched it yet.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I need to listen to more Kinks.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:I need to listen to more Kinks.

Indeed.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I suspect that's true of most people on this board (including me). Can't go wrong if u do. Haven't heard of that documentary, Clams, tell us more.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

They're definitely one of those bands I've meant to get more into outside of the standards, just haven't got to it yet.

Just another reminder of how much music is out there, I guess.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:

I suspect that's true of most people on this board (including me). Can't go wrong if u do. Haven't heard of that documentary, Clams, tell us more.

The Kinks played a role in the first conversation I ever had with you, Beantown.

Here's a good un:

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

First concert I ever saw: The Kinks at the Felt Forum in NYC circa 1972. In retrospect that MAY have been one of their first shows in the US after their travel ban was lifted, but I'm not sure. At the time i was not aware of/sensitive to those kinds of "background" issues.

Yep, TC: You, me and the Kinks go way back. Even further than you, me and Greetings :lol:

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Do-It-Aga ... 75?sk=info
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

First album I ever purchased. '81. Strawberries. Cassette.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams wrote:Anyone see that new rock doc about the Kinks? I DVR'ed it a few weeks ago off of (I think) the local PBS station but I haven't watched it yet.

I saw it during the Full Frame Documentary Festival in Durham, NC a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. From what I understand, it's been pretty significantly edited for PBS though so that it would fit into a one hour time slot. When it's released on DVD I believe it will either be restored to it's original length or the stuff that didn't make the final cut will be available as bonus features. I'm pretty sure I posted about either here or on the other board at the time but I'll just say the footage featuring Sting is priceless.

dime in the gutter

cortez posted a kinks "beginner's guide" type thing from rolling stone a few years ago. i jumped in with muswell hillbillies. hooked from the very first lazy acoustic strums on 20th century man.

ray ray is a prickly pear with a sharp eye for truths. almost ambivalent in his delivery...like he knows something the rest of us don't.

have found that the classic era (65-70) is tough to locate in stores. had to buy village green, lola vs., face to face, and kontroversy from amazon.....high brow songwriting told by a common crooner with one foot stuck back in the old days.....show tunes and vaudville.

been digging hard on misfits recently. slicker sound that took some time to appreciate, but well worth the effort. acceptance of a mundane and unworthy lifestyle. rock and roll was supposed to provide our hero better than this.

but, ultimately, does it really matter?

get some.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Some Kinks albums are great. The others are not quite as great. If you see one, buy it. It's that simple. In particular, don't miss Phobia:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If you're not familiar w/ the Kinks one often surprising aspect is how conservative Ray Davies is. He comes out of the 60's hippie era for sure, and the Kinks were one of the few bands that actually were "banned in the USA" but Ray is an old fashioned Englishman longing for simpler times. It's a consistent thread throughout his work w/ the Kinks & solo, always lyrically and then later musically as well. He and Paul McCartney share that love for show tunes/vaudeville/old timey music.

scotto

Post by scotto »

One of my favorite Kinks songs from one of my favorite Kinks albums:

(The Fall's version is pretty cool, too.)

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:If you're not familiar w/ the Kinks one often surprising aspect is how conservative Ray Davies is. He comes out of the 60's hippie era for sure, and the Kinks were one of the few bands that actually were "banned in the USA" but Ray is an old fashioned Englishman longing for simpler times. It's a consistent thread throughout his work w/ the Kinks & solo, always lyrically and then later musically as well. He and Paul McCartney share that love for show tunes/vaudeville/old timey music.

Ray is both conservative in the McCartney sense and also a little right-wing nativist at times, most recently with "Tension". It shows most in the Arista years, I think. It makes me a little uncomfortable to have that sitting next to his deep working-class sensibility. Doesn't keep me from loving the Kinks, though.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

I heard You Really Got Me by Van Halen on the radio in the spring of 78 and loved it. I had never heard the song before and had no idea it was a cover until I bought the VH album later that year. That led me to investigate all things Kinks and within a year they became one of my favorite bands--about this time they were having a "comeback" in the US with Misfits, Low Budget, One More For the Road, etc and once I heard A Rock and Roll Fantasy from Misfits it was all over. I am pretty sure that song is about me :D

I also became obsessed with Muswell Hillbillies; easily my favorite Kinks record. BTB, I envy you seeing them in 72; that must have been on The Muswell Hillbillies tour. Were you at the show in Carnegie Hall that make up the bonus tracks on the Everybody's In Showbiz reissue? According to the liner notes, Andy Warhol and a bunch of his transvestite hanger-ons were there.

I only saw The Kinks live once in 1983 at the Las Vegas Convention Center on The State of Confusion tour. (Scandal opened and they were awful). The show was great and i even witnessed a spat between Ray and Dave. The first song was Around the Dial and 30 seconds or so into it Ray yelled at Dave about messing something up, they stopped playing and everybody went backstage. At first it was funny but then after 10 minutes or so it seemed like a very real possibility they were not going to come back. Everybody started booing and finally they came back out; Ray just said "Sorry" and they launched into Around the Dial again and played a full show.

Anyway, I friggin love The Kinks. All their records are worth getting except I am not too wild about some of the concept albums in the mid 70's.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

dime in the gutter

Gator McKlusky wrote:I heard You Really Got Me by Van Halen on the radio in the spring of 78 and loved it. I had never heard the song before and had no idea it was a cover until I bought the VH album later that year. That led me to investigate all things Kinks and within a year they became one of my favorite bands--about this time they were having a "comeback" in the US with Misfits, Low Budget, One More For the Road, etc and once I heard A Rock and Roll Fantasy from Misfits it was all over. I am pretty sure that song is about me :D

I also became obsessed with Muswell Hillbillies; easily my favorite Kinks record. BTB, I envy you seeing them in 72; that must have been on The Muswell Hillbillies tour. Were you at the show in Carnegie Hall that make up the bonus tracks on the Everybody's In Showbiz reissue? According to the liner notes, Andy Warhol and a bunch of his transvestite hanger-ons were there.

I only saw The Kinks live once in 1983 at the Las Vegas Convention Center on The State of Confusion tour. (Scandal opened and they were awful). The show was great and i even witnessed a spat between Ray and Dave. The first song was Around the Dial and 30 seconds or so into it Ray yelled at Dave about messing something up, they stopped playing and everybody went backstage. At first it was funny but then after 10 minutes or so it seemed like a very real possibility they were not going to come back. Everybody started booing and finally they came back out; Ray just said "Sorry" and they launched into Around the Dial again and played a full show.

Anyway, I friggin love The Kinks. All their records are worth getting except I am not too wild about some of the concept albums in the mid 70's.

great post.

lola vs. has been blowing me up recently. lots of fist shaking at the gods and their many carnations. some great fucking rock and roll.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:If you're not familiar w/ the Kinks one often surprising aspect is how conservative Ray Davies is. He comes out of the 60's hippie era for sure, and the Kinks were one of the few bands that actually were "banned in the USA" but Ray is an old fashioned Englishman longing for simpler times. It's a consistent thread throughout his work w/ the Kinks & solo, always lyrically and then later musically as well. He and Paul McCartney share that love for show tunes/vaudeville/old timey music.

Ray is both conservative in the McCartney sense and also a little right-wing nativist at times, most recently with "Tension". It shows most in the Arista years, I think. It makes me a little uncomfortable to have that sitting next to his deep working-class sensibility. Doesn't keep me from loving the Kinks, though.

Huge Kinks fan, of all eras. I was into Misfits when I was 13 or 14 one summer at camp, and we played that album and One For the Road (surprisingly great!) constantly. One song we had a tough time wrapping our young heads around was Black Messiah. If you're not familiar with it, take a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRdsI0FLPDY. I guess when I listen to it many years later, Ray's just saying we're all different, and that's OK? Still not sure. But that little reggae riff still gets me every time!

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

I'm actually surprised a lot of 3DDers haven't listened to this record:

seems up many people's wheelhouses.

I was never a huge Kinks fan, mostly because my main exposure to them was through the aforementioned VH cover, and then also the jokey (to a kid) Lola. It wasn't until college that I discovered their amazing back catalog and really came to appreciate their songwriting. The Kink Kontroversy is a definite favorite. And obviously you can't screw with the classic Are the Village Green Preservation Society.

I need to seek out that doc. As much as I love their music, I've only touched barely on the stories behind the music.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Flying Rabbit wrote:I need to seek out that doc. As much as I love their music, I've only touched barely on the stories behind the music.

If you're referring to the documentary I mentioned in a previous post (Do It Again: One Man's Quest To Reunite the Kinks), it's not really about the history of the Kinks or the stories behind the songs, it's about Geoff Edgers' attempts at getting them to play together again. Along the way you learn a great deal about the band and their inner workings but I wouldn't say it's any kind of biography or anything. It is very entertaining though. If you're interested in obtaining a DVD of the movie, check out this blog post from Edgers on his website.

dime in the gutter

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Flea

Post by Flea »

Never heard this song until today, on the way home from work listening to Deep Tracks.

Now it's dark.

cortez the killer

Flying Rabbit wrote:I'm actually surprised a lot of 3DDers haven't listened to this record:

seems up many people's wheelhouses.

Required listening for everyone on this message board.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

dave davies is bisexual. (also has several children from multiple baby mamas)

seems that the kinks had numerous songs about sexual gender bending.

lola
out of the wardrobe

others?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image

Spitting image of Conor Oberst:

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:Image

Spitting image of Conor Oberst:

Your chronological struggles continue.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Strike that, reverse it. I know what I meant :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dime in the gutter

international baby mamas.