Grateful Dead Core Four July3-5th Soldier Field

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Grateful Dead Core Four July3-5th Soldier Field

Post by beantownbubba »

Cubfan06 wrote:
Put in the mail order yesterday. Not optimistic given that many Chicagoland post offices and currency exchanges ran out of money orders. But we shall see. I'll go to the aftermarket as a last resort. I will get in. Someone I know who seats at Soldier Field has 2 Cadillac Club tix (200 level section, 50 yard line, open-air, waitress service) who was no interest in the show and was trying to sell their $165/ticket seats for double $330. I passed on that, although I believe that might be cheaper for that quality of ticket than it would be at show time. If I get shut out on mail orders, presale and public onsale, that was likely a hasty risk that I took.

Just extrapolating from what I've read here w/out any other good sources of info, yeah, I think you might want to see if those $330 tix are still available. It seems to me that the biggest problem you have is the number of people traveling to the shows who will be particularly interested in seeing multiple shows as long as they're making the effort/expense. So what starts out at 240,000 tix (or whatever, I'm assuming 80K capacity) is probably closer to half that assuming that folks w/ access to tix for one day's show will have access to the others as well. Add to that the number of people driving around w/ dead head stickers on their Cadillacs (i.e. dead heads w/ money and an absolute "need" to see these shows) and competition for tickets is going to be fierce w/ the obvious impact on prices. I don't think you're going to see much of the selling extras for face value vibe going on around these shows.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Mailed in my order yesterday with some half-assed shabby looking Erd artwork. I'm a mix of worried, optimistic and not giving a shit. Too much damn stress for a Dead show. The post office here in Fightin Irish country had about 8 other folks filling out mail orders. Ugh. Demand is going to be nuts and most of my friends wanting to go are waiting for 2/14. Not 2/12, 2/14. I'm just hoping to get a couple shows at this point. Found some great deals on Home Away vs. paying for the outrageous hotel fees. Hopefully we all cross paths at the show.

In hindsight, they gotta play more dates, right? Folks are going to be super bummed out after get zero tickets. We can only hope.

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

Erdlivz wrote:In hindsight, they gotta play more dates, right? Folks are going to be super bummed out after get zero tickets. We can only hope.

I would be shocked if they didn't add a similar event at least in San Francisco.
have a good time all the time

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Erdlivz wrote:Mailed in my order yesterday with some half-assed shabby looking Erd artwork. I'm a mix of worried, optimistic and not giving a shit. Too much damn stress for a Dead show. The post office here in Fightin Irish country had about 8 other folks filling out mail orders. Ugh. Demand is going to be nuts and most of my friends wanting to go are waiting for 2/14. Not 2/12, 2/14. I'm just hoping to get a couple shows at this point. Found some great deals on Home Away vs. paying for the outrageous hotel fees. Hopefully we all cross paths at the show.

In hindsight, they gotta play more dates, right? Folks are going to be super bummed out after get zero tickets. We can only hope.

I'm going to go for tickets on the 12th online and take my chances. Probably aiming for Saturday night only. I'm excited for this but more in a nostalgic way I suppose. A nosebleed seat and summer in Chicago while the Dead plays one last time and I'm happy.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Sent in mail order yesterday. Hope I get lucky.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

They have to do something in SF. Maybe MSG as well? Of course they'll wait to announce additional shows until after Soldier Field sells out.

That said, of course tickets go on sale when we're all in Athens! Could be worse though, I could be logging on from home
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Hud

Post by Hud »

I was almost sucked into the mail order hype, I just wanted to do it like the old days. I had to make myself not do it. I would definitely go if I lived near Chicago, but I don't. There were times, back in the day, that those dead RFK stadium shows scared the hell out of me when the concrete started bouncing. I am hoping for a webcast
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

I actually think Chicago will be the only shows.....I think that decision rests with Phil (or his wife).
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

The Grateful Dead movie was on Palladia last night and it made me long for the days when Bobby could sing.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Flight and hotel locked in. This has the potential to be SOO good. Core 4 w Trey and Hornsby is an A+ line up, IMO. But the band is going to have to take a hard look back at the last 15 years to see what's worked and what sucks about these post Jerry line ups

1) TEMPOS (looking at you, Bobby) By far my biggest complaint- If the Stones and Charlie Watts can still do it, so can these guys. F the slow tempos
2) Phil should only sing his songs. I'll impale myself on the first nitrous tank I see if I hear Phil warble out another Franklin's Tower
3) setlists- no 'Jam' opener, no stupid transition jams. Do it like the Dead did it
4) Jerry Ballads- They'll have to tread lightly, maybe just avoid the Dew all together. I think Hornsby could do a few of them justice. Don't let Phil or Bob near 'em

I'm kind of scared that they won't adhere to these obvious fixes and what could be amazing send off to the Band Beyond Description will be just another retread with a great frontman. I don't want to come off as too skeptical though, I'm more excited for these shows than I have been for music in a long time.

Hud

Post by Hud »

no transition jams? :shock:
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gaetzi wrote:Flight and hotel locked in. This has the potential to be SOO good. Core 4 w Trey and Hornsby is an A+ line up, IMO. But the band is going to have to take a hard look back at the last 15 years to see what's worked and what sucks about these post Jerry line ups

1) TEMPOS (looking at you, Bobby) By far my biggest complaint- If the Stones and Charlie Watts can still do it, so can these guys. F the slow tempos
2) Phil should only sing his songs. I'll impale myself on the first nitrous tank I see if I hear Phil warble out another Franklin's Tower
3) setlists- no 'Jam' opener, no stupid transition jams. Do it like the Dead did it
4) Jerry Ballads- They'll have to tread lightly, maybe just avoid the Dew all together. I think Hornsby could do a few of them justice. Don't let Phil or Bob near 'em

I'm kind of scared that they won't adhere to these obvious fixes and what could be amazing send off to the Band Beyond Description will be just another retread with a great frontman. I don't want to come off as too skeptical though, I'm more excited for these shows than I have been for music in a long time.

You know the funny thing I'm not the slightest bit excited about this on a musical level. I expect to have fun, see a ton of old friends, hear even more old friends(meaning the songs), see the freaks, hear someone yell "kind veggie burritos" or "heady vegan nachos man" and enjoy summer on the lakefront. It's all about remembering those days for me. Searching for those feeling in the jamband scene for years after Jerry died almost made me forget how great that music was and how fun those times were.

Dean

Post by Dean »

what's the bfd? It's not like these "core four" haven't been in various bands playing the shit out of these same old tired songs the last 15 years

and I wouldn't walk across the street to see Trey or that joke of a band he fronts play for free.

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

the big deal is that it's the 50th and they are returning to the last place the played with Jerry, sure they've played together since he died but just like any partnership that lasts that long, 50 years is worth celebrating. It's more of a time to remember the music and an opportunity to be a part of the scene one last time. As far as the person playing Jerry's parts, let's just be honest here, even if an exact replica was cloned from Jerry's DNA that walked, talked and played just like Jerry did, there would still be some assclown to spoil things by complaining how he didn't sound exactly like Jerry did on the tour in 198whatever. Personally I would have rather seen Warren Haynes have the job but Trey is a great played and is certainly capable of doing the job.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Hud wrote:no transition jams? :shock:

I'm not talking about a classic '77 Scarlet> Fire transition but the stuff the Phil does. this is a PLQ set from 2001 with (IMO) too much wankery and not enough substance:

Caution (Do Not Stop On The Tracks) Jam > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Dark Star > Jam > Tomorrow Never Knows > Jam > Dark Star > Jam > Wharf Rat > Viola Lee Blues > Midnight Hour > Viola Lee Blues

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Trey to Amputate Middle Finger to Appease Deadheads

When reached for comment, Anastasio noted that virulently angry Deadheads gave him no choice, and that if he was going to play Wolf, he was going to do so the way Jerry did – with four fingers and lots of fried food in his stomach.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gaetzi wrote:

I'm not talking about a classic '77 Scarlet> Fire transition but the stuff the Phil does. this is a PLQ set from 2001 with (IMO) too much wankery and not enough substance:

Caution (Do Not Stop On The Tracks) Jam > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Dark Star > Jam > Tomorrow Never Knows > Jam > Dark Star > Jam > Wharf Rat > Viola Lee Blues > Midnight Hour > Viola Lee Blues

The one thing I will say about Phil & Friends is that the lineup with Jimmy Herring, Warren Haynes, Rob Baracco and John Molo was as close to the Dead magic as anything got post Jerry, IMHO of course. Shit was amazing.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Gaetzi wrote:

The one thing I will say about Phil & Friends is that the lineup with Jimmy Herring, Warren Haynes, Rob Baracco and John Molo was as close to the Dead magic as anything got post Jerry, IMHO of course. Shit was amazing.

I haven't had much interest or kept up with any lineup since 2004. I loved Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring playing with various lineups. Haynes definitely added a soulful voice to combat too much Phil and Bobby.

This current incarnation sparked my interest immediately. I'm very excited to see Trey add his flavor to the mix. I'm constantly guessing about guest appearances. I'm sure WH, JH and more will be there. Most of all, as TC suggested, I'm just excited to for an outstanding 4th of July weekend filled with many elements of the Grateful Dead experience.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

What do ya say we forget this whole mess and see if we can get The Cardinals back together instead?
Beebs is not a ragey man

grapico

Post by grapico »

Beebs wrote:What do ya say we forget this whole mess and see if we can get The Cardinals back together instead?

Now you're talking! I do miss that lineup. Casal was nasty.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I was also a huge fan of the PLQ- I probably caught 20+ shows from that band, loved all of them. But sometimes Phil just held down the Jam button for too long. One show at the Beacon we were 4th row and they opened w a 15-20 minute Jam. People were back in their seats before they even played a song! But stuff like Golden Road, She Said, Doin' that Rag, etc.. the list goes on, all fantastic! That band could rage.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

The note on Dead50.net reads, “Wow! We’re excited (and humbled) to discover that your enthusiasm for Fare Thee Well matches our own! We have received an overwhelming number of mail order ticket requests. In an effort to honor the history and spirit of the Grateful Dead, we are going to try to fill as many of these orders as possible. This means there will be no other pre-sales. In order to give the good folks at GDTS TOO time to sort through the 60,000+ (!) envelopes received so far the new public on sale is Feb 28th @ 10 a.m. CST via Ticketmaster.”

http://www.glidemagazine.com/129619/gra ... -requests/
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Everyone still alive? Anyone gotten the dreaded letter yet?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tyler wrote:Everyone still alive? Anyone gotten the dreaded letter yet?

Every single person I know that did mail order got turned down. At least a dozen. These tickets are going to be an impossible get.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Not sure where else I'd post this- a really fascinating and well written article on psychedelics from the New Yorker

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... -treatment

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Every single person I know that did mail order got turned down. At least a dozen. These tickets are going to be an impossible get.

Wow. How many did they request? I was only looking for 1x each night, and I did all 3 price levels. I figure both of those things are in my favor, as they'll probably be wanting singles to fill in holes in the reserved seats, at the very least.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I have not heard back yet, nor has any of my crew. Hope no news is good news at this point. Although , I doubt it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I have not heard back yet, nor has any of my crew. Hope no news is good news at this point. Although , I doubt it.

I saw that some mutual friends of our got their rejection yesterday or the day before. The numbers they received on this were unreal.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I haven't received the pink slip yet. Loaded that envelope with 9 money orders to help get every option. I'm not even bothering with Ticketmaster at this point.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Erdlivz wrote:I haven't received the pink slip yet. Loaded that envelope with 9 money orders to help get every option. I'm not even bothering with Ticketmaster at this point.

i just couldn't swing the mail order. I'm going to give the Saturday show a shot online and if a no go que sera sera.