Albums of the year 2014.

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: Albums of the year 2014.

Post by Zip City »

1. Image

The GOASTT - Midnight Sun

16 years after his debut record, Sean Lennon finally feels comfortable. Whether it was feeling the weight of his parents' enormous shadows, or a tumultuous love life (which lead to his Friendly Fire album), Lennon never quite got his sea legs. He wrote a lot of catchy songs, but never stuck with a genre for long. Then he met Charlotte Kemp Muhl, his (now) longtime girlfriend and musical comrade, with whom he formed The Ghost of a Sabre-Toothed Tiger. After their quiet, chamber folk debut (Acoustic Sessions), Lennon and Muhl broadened their horizons and beefed up their sound, culminating in the brilliant, 60's psych-rock record Midnight Sun. THIS is what Lennon should be doing, creating catchy, unexpected melodies with lush accompaniment. Fantastic musicianship top to bottom.

2. Image

Felice Brothers - Favorite Waitress

The Felice Brothers were a band I was always aware of, but never really invested much time in, and after the many bad reviews of Celebration, Florida, didn't think I'd every really pursue. But when their new record came out, and there was talk of "return to form", etc., I gave it a shot. The thing that struck (and continues to strike) me about this album is its ability to surprise. Track to track, you never see whats coming. After setting you up with upbeat, jangly numbers "Bird on Broken Wing" and "Cherry Licorice", who's expecting a song like "Constituents"? How do you have a Whiskeytown-inspired "No Trouble" lead into the Bowie-esque "Alien"? This is one of the few albums from 2014 that I can listen to multiple times in a day.

3. Image

Israel Nash - Israel Nash's Rain Plans

Describe this album to me and I'm sure I'll hate it. An unknown guy aping Neil Young's style? Disaster, right? But even though I can sing Young's lyrics along to Nash's songs, those songs are just so damn good, I don't care. Fabulous musicianship, fantastic production, and great arrangements had me hook, line and sinker.

4. Image

Shovels N' Rope - Swimmin' Time

This was one of my most anticipated albums of the year, after playing the shit out of "O' Be Joyful". SnR really stretched their legs on this record, expanding into different styles and wearing their influences on their sleeves. This record is more collaborative than their last as well, with Cary Ann and Michael sharing the vocals on most songs. Standout tracks include "Evil", with some Patterson-esque lyrics (Every now and then I get evil/I feel ashamed in the shadow of a steeple/I'm a lunatic looking through the peephole/I hit my kids but I don't mean to ) and the gorgeous "After the Storm".

5. Image

Wussy - Attica

This album wasn't even on my radar three weeks ago, but cracked my top 5. There's so much to love about this record, it's tough to know where to start. It's quirky, it's timeless, it's gorgeous, it's catchy, it's heartbreaking. Sometimes it rocks ("Rainbows and Butterflies"), sometimes it whispers ("Acetylene"), sometimes it soars ("Beautiful"). Can't wait to dig and dig and dig

6. Image

Shakey Graves - And the War Came

Shakey Graves (nee Alejandro Rose-Garcia) is an Austin musician who is starting to make a name for himself. After his 2011 debut Roll the Bones, Graves has hit the road hard, playing every bar and festival that will have him. He can perform solo with just his guitar and homemade suitcase drum, or with a drummer and slide guitar player. His new album is catchy, charming (especially the tracks with Esme Patterson), and full of passion. "Dearly Departed" is a candidate for song of the year.

7. Image

Water Liars - Water Liars

It took a little while for me to warm up to the latest Water Liars album, mostly because of how much I loved "Wyoming." While I don't think the self-titled record has the emotional gravity of their previous record, it is still an excellent rock record from a criminally underrated band.

8. Image

Woods - With Light and With Love

My source for new music is generally here on 3DD, or in the "discover" section of Spotify. Woods comes from the latter. Their sound is tough to describe; kinda psychedelic, kinda pop, mostly weird, but terribly catchy. I'm probably missing out on some level of this band by NOT doing drugs while listening.

9. Image

Drive-By Truckers - English Oceans

This was a music year for me that was defined by the word "surprise". "English Oceans" was the opposite of surprise; it was comfort and familiarity. The album is rock-solid, and even though I didn't take a shine to some of the songs that others found so great, it's a reliably great record to keep returning to.

10. Image

Quilt - Held in Splendor

Quilt (along with Shakey Graves) was a discovery from this year's Nelsonville Music Festival. This is another psych-rock band, with a sound layered in reverb and harmony. The lyrics are kind of cheesy, but they have the sound down to a tee.

11. Temples - Sun Structures - Oh look, another throwback 60's band, this time from the UK. Love these guys' sound, but the songs aren't quite as diverse as others higher on the list.

12. Ray LaMontagne - Supernova - LaMontagne joins up with Dan Auerbach to try his hand at a more retro, AM radio vibe.

13.Reverend Horton Heat - Rev - One of my favorite bands of the 90's seemed to be out of good songs, going a decade since their last good album. Luckily "Rev" is a complete return to form.

14. Tweedy - Sukierae - Everything a solo album should be. Like Patterson's "Heat Lightning", the album is both distinctly in the writer's style, yet distinctly not in his band's style. This record is the most likely to climb my list moving forward.

15. Trampled By Turtles - Wild Animals - Didn't take to this one right away, but it's been a steady grower since its release. Looking forward to seeing them live again this summer.

16. Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy - Rice is a very underrated songwriter in the US. I really love his "O" album from a few years back, and his new one continues to expand his arrangements. His lyrics are a little overwrought at times, but he's very much a "heart on his sleeve" lyricist.

17. Natural Child - Dancin’ With Wolves - So much has been said about these guys that I don't have much to add. They're The Dexateens' stoned musical cousins.

18. Ryan Adams - s/t - A solid (if not spectacular) effort from Adams. It's uneven, and not as good as "Ashes and Fire", but a good listen.

19. Conor Oberst - Upside Down Mountain - Nothing unexpected from this record. Oberst does what he does best.

20. Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music - Great record when I'm in the mood for it.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Some interesting thoughts on those first few picks, zip.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip's list reminded me that Favorite Waitress and Rain Plans should have ended up on mine, but I just did 10.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Finally got around to listening to Swans album "To Be Kind". Jesus H Christ but thats some weird but brilliant shit. This band is as tight as can be these days, possibly only the Bad Seeds could match them on this form. Might seriously have to reconsider the top end of my list if subsequent listens prove as rewarding as the first couple.

Spent some time the last few days catching up with lots of the end year lists, finally getting round to reading what the critics were actually saying about the highest rated albums rather than just noting what these lists comprised of in a numerical fashion - eg mostly who was at the top end. The sites Anydecentmusic (http://www.anydecentmusic.com/articles/ ... final.aspx), Metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/feature/criti ... ms-of-2014) and Albumoftheyear (http://www.albumoftheyear.org/ratings/6 ... ted/2014/1) proved invaluable in doing this.

My non scientific survey concludes that the winners this year(at least as far as critics were concerned) were such as War On Drugs, St Vincent, Aphex Twin, FKA Twigs, Caribou, Sun Kil Moon, Run The Jewels and Swans, with notable inclusions for the likes of Beck, Spoon, Sharon Van Etten, Perfume Genius and Future Islands. Only in a far off galaxy called Rolling Stone will you find the laughable high rating given out to U2. I am actually convinced they really are taking the piss on a scale never seen before. Anyway, I actually think that on reflection this has been a pretty decent year (probably the best this decade), and aside from loving albums by The Bug, Thom Yorke, Gruff Rhys and DBT, if we go back to what the critics were raving about I found myself enjoying albums that I never thought I would - St Vincent, Perfume Genius, Beck (even though I'm a big fan I never thought he could pull this stunning album out the bag these days), Angel Olsen, FKA Twigs and SKM. Albums I had hoped I would enjoy more than lived up to expectation - Aphex Twin and Caribou in particular, and the critics certainly agreed conclusively there.
Which tentatively brings me to the elephant in the room, certainly for me anyway. War On Bloody Drugs! I have paid particular attention to what the critics are saying about this album now Adam Granduciel has become the saviour of rock and roll, and I'm sorry but the names that I have noticed as being influences on this record make me want to recoil in horror. Off the top of my head we have Dire Straits, Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Rick Springfield, Fleetwood Mac, and believe it or not I even saw somebody referencing the horror that was Avalon era Roxy Music for fucks sake!! (Roxy's first few albums are great by the way, but after that - oh dear!)
Bob Dylan might be having a quiet chuckle to himself about all this mind you.

claretkid

Post by claretkid »

I felt i had to come on here and thank all the members who have been raving about Lydia Loveless' Somewhere Else album. I always like to check out forum members opinions of the years best albums, and have found some great new artists and albums over the years. Upon first listen, i thought it was ok, nothing particularly special, but pleasant, but over the last 10 days, i've constantly been listening to it, and am having trouble stopping :lol: !! A terrific album, which is resonating with me a great deal at the moment, for various reasons that don't need further explanation. I won't change my submitted list for fear of pissing off the compiler, but safe to say it'd be very near the top.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The Bitter Southerner has their picks for the 25 best Southern albums of 2014 at the link below.

http://bittersoutherner.com/the-best-so ... .VJWvWACI0
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

linkous

Post by linkous »

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

1. Sturgill Simpson-- MMSOCM
2. Against Me!-- Transgender Dysphoria Blues
3. Drive By Truckers-- English Oceans
4. Lee Bains-- Deconstructed
5. Sun Kil Moon-Benji
6. U2-- Songs of Innocence
7. Old Crow Medicine Show-- Remedy
8. Caleb Caudle-- Paint Another Layer..
9. Ryan Adams-- Ryan Adams
10. Fucked Up-- Glass Boys

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The Pazz & Jop poll results are up at the Village Voice site.

http://www.villagevoice.com/pazznjop/albums/
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

linkous

Post by linkous »

Bill in CT wrote:The Pazz & Jop poll results are up at the Village Voice site.

http://www.villagevoice.com/pazznjop/albums/

That list is as predictable as Xmas day falling on 25 December - athough I guess the people canvassed for this were the same people who contributed to all the other various EOY lists. Sturgill at No6 was a shock though, and if this list still carries any real weight will do his career no harm at all.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

why do people expect publications' end of year lists to be surprising? just curious cuz i saw that reaction pretty much everywhere in response to every list this year. if you follow these media sources all year (hell, any media sources) you should already know what their favorite albums are. it wouldnt make much sense for an end of year list to contain albums they never wrote about during the year so im not sure what people are expecting out of this routine

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

this was surprising to me:

602 Mogwai, Rave Tapes
Rock Action/Sub Pop Points: 15 Mentions: 2

602 Israel Nash, Israel Nash's Rain Plans
Loose/Thirsty Tigers Points: 15 Mentions: 2

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Shakespeare wrote:why do people expect publications' end of year lists to be surprising? just curious cuz i saw that reaction pretty much everywhere in response to every list this year. if you follow these media sources all year (hell, any media sources) you should already know what their favorite albums are. it wouldnt make much sense for an end of year list to contain albums they never wrote about during the year so im not sure what people are expecting out of this routine

Every music oriented list I've ever seen posted is subject to surprise, awe, disgust and a number of other emotions.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:why do people expect publications' end of year lists to be surprising? just curious cuz i saw that reaction pretty much everywhere in response to every list this year. if you follow these media sources all year (hell, any media sources) you should already know what their favorite albums are. it wouldnt make much sense for an end of year list to contain albums they never wrote about during the year so im not sure what people are expecting out of this routine

Some people read year end lists to have their excellent judgment confirmed. They can be surprised when it turns out that their judgment isn't so excellent.

Some people read year end lists to see what music they may have missed during the year. They can be surprised when it turns out that they didn't miss much.

Some people don't regularly read the sources of the year end lists they dissect in endless detail. If you don't know what those sources said all year, presumably you can be surprised by their lists.

In 2015, the Pazz & Jop list is probably the only listmaker that attempts to bridge even a reasonable number of the genres and subgenres into which pop (pazz?) music is now split. Presumably if the top of that list doesn't contain some stuff that is new to the reader, that reader is either extremely well and broadly read/heard or surprised to learn that there's not that much going on outside their usual sphere.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Christgau's top pics

Albums

1 Wussy, Attica!
2 Miranda Lambert, Platinum
3 Withered Hand, New Gods
4 Young Thug & Bloody Jay, Black Portland
5 Drive-By Truckers, English Oceans
6 Jason Derulo, Talk Dirty
7 Azealia Banks, Broke With Expensive Taste
8 Jerry Lee Lewis, The Knox Phillips Sessions: the Unreleased Recordings
9 Kool A.D., Word O.K.
10 Angaleena Presley, American Middle Class

Singles

1 Old 97's, "Longer Than You've Been Alive"
2 Drive-By Truckers, "Shit Shots Count"
3 Young Thug & Bloody Jay, "Florida Water"
4 Billy Joe Shaver, "Hard to Be an Outlaw"
5 Angaleena Presley, "Drunk"
6 Beyoncé (ft. Jay-Z), "Drunk in Love"
7 Wussy, "Teenage Wasteland"
8 Pharrell Williams, "Happy"
9 Coathangers, "Follow Me"
10 Withered Hand, "Horseshoe"
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

cortez the killer wrote:Hey, hey, hey
Just think while you been getting down and out about the liars
And the dirty dirty cheats of the world
You could have been getting down to this sick beat

Truer words were never spoken.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Having a hard time ranking my list this year. I have 4 records that could all go number 1, another 10 that could fill the next six and it's a crap shoot after that. The older I get the more I hate ranking.

list your top 3 reasons for hating to rank things.

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be