Dave Grohl Is Killing Rock n' Roll

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: Dave Grohl Is Killing Rock n' Roll

Post by tinnitus photography »

:lol:

good rant, and pretty much on target.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I watched the Sonic Highways episode on Chicago the other day. It was kinda enjoyable until I realized it was all preamble to the debut of the new FF single, which really is horrible. What's the point of bringing Buddy Guy, Bonnie Raitt and Rick Nielsen into it if you're just going to squeeze out a generic FF song that incorporates literally zero of those influences?
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Yeah. Or not.

Whether or not you like his music, I've never got the impression Grohl claimed to be anything. The guy is just having fun, playing the music he wants to play, and making a pretty good living off it. He doesn't speak for anyone nor does he claim to be some kind of savior of rock.

If you can't stand the Foo Fighters, there's nothing wrong with that, but this seems pompous and misguided to me.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I thought what Tim wrote wasn't meant to be taken entirely seriously though I'm sure I know of some elitists that will stare down their noses at me for some of my musical tastes that will just eat that shit up.

Can't say I have a real gripe with Grohl because through no fault of his own, he has become the face of rock n' roll over the past several years. I also find it kind of humorous that each time a band like Zeppelin, Rush, Cheap Trick, etc. is being lauded, he's there saying they're his favorite band. He even sang the praises of the Edgar Winter Group during his keynote address at SXSW a few years ago. Cool to see him cut through the bullshit that good music is good music no matter how steeped you may be in punk rock (meaning the roots of Nirvana). All that said, he strikes me as the Phil Collins of the modern age because the guy is every-fucking-where. Again, through no fault of his own.

Dean

Post by Dean »

Pompous douchebaggery is a bigger threat to rock and roll than Dave Grohl.

Watch Sound City and talk shit about Dave. I dare ya.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I thought what Tim wrote wasn't meant to be taken entirely seriously though I'm sure I know of some elitists that will stare down their noses at me for some of my musical tastes that will just eat that shit up.

I don't know what that means, but count me in.
If you don't run you rust

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I thought what Tim wrote wasn't meant to be taken entirely seriously though I'm sure I know of some elitists that will stare down their noses at me for some of my musical tastes that will just eat that shit up.

I don't know what that means, but count me in.

It's got a lot to do with some article I read about Big Star a while back where the author posited that a lot of fans of that band feel that much of the music of the 70's is beneath them. The prog rock bands of the day (namely ELP) usually seem to be a target but it also goes for the likes of Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Skynyrd, etc.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Dean wrote:Pompous douchebaggery is a bigger threat to rock and roll than Dave Grohl.

Watch Sound City and talk shit about Dave. I dare ya.

I agree! Sound City made me hop on the Dave Grohl bandwagon.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

So it seems the author doesn't care much for Dave Grohl. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I don't own a Foo Fighters album but when they come on the radio I usually crank it up instead of changing the station. I don't think he is "killing" rock and roll. Just that there should be a dozen more current bands that I crank up the volume instead of changing the station.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

I think Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are actually doing their best to keep "mainstream" rock alive, whatever that means.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I understand that this is cheeky humor for the most part but I'm sure there is a Dave Grohl hate legion out there. With all the Maroon 5's & Nickelback's in the world do we really need to hate on Grohl who seems to truly love Rock & Roll?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

The author needs a little humor in his rock n roll.

I don't think Grohl has ever claimed to be this artist that is bringing punk to the masses. Sure, he likes punk, and claims it as an influence, but that doesn't mean he should copy it and it should be exactly what his music is today.

For the record, I enjoy most of the Foo Fighters catalog.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

PeterJ wrote:The author needs a little humor in his rock n roll.

I don't think Grohl has ever claimed to be this artist that is bringing punk to the masses. Sure, he likes punk, and claims it as an influence, but that doesn't mean he should copy it and it should be exactly what his music is today.

For the record, I enjoy most of the Foo Fighters catalog.

I do too. I think he's actually underrated in critical circles as a songwriter. Yeah, he has a "formula" so to speak, but Patterson Hood has written how many preacher/murder songs without melodies? Everyone who makes it that long has certain formulas or tendencies. At his best, Grohl is pretty fucking great. At his worst he's boring and self-derivative.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Iowan wrote:Yeah. Or not.

Whether or not you like his music, I've never got the impression Grohl claimed to be anything. The guy is just having fun, playing the music he wants to play, and making a pretty good living off it. He doesn't speak for anyone nor does he claim to be some kind of savior of rock.

If you can't stand the Foo Fighters, there's nothing wrong with that, but this seems pompous and misguided to me.

^^^This.
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

My oldest son and I are Foo fans. We became fans during some tough times and still enjoy their music. Dave Grohl has had a part in lots of music that I like so I don't have a problem with him.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

He seems like a decent dude, fairly grounded all things considered. Musically he's as generic as it gets, but a lot of that's forgiven because of Nirvana and his demeanor.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

tinnitus photography

have all you Grohl fans heard that Probot record?

he should have stopped on a high point.

Dean

Post by Dean »

using that logic, we'd have never heard Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

tinnitus photography

Clapton is Death Valley.

And let me know when Grohl even begins to approach the heights of "Shake Your Blood"

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

tinnitus photography wrote:have all you Grohl fans heard that Probot record?

but doesnt this kinda contradict the "on target rant"?

one of the biggest names in mainstream rock made time to record a pretty well received labor of love project with his childhood underground heroes, and let an underground label like southern lord put it out, yet hes somehow killing rock and roll in the process? he didnt have to give any of those vocalists an easy payday like that, and he certainly didnt need to let southern lord put it out. if dave was the prick this article presents him as he would have sang the songs on that record and had his rca put it out with the standard foo fighters hype machine.

i get that daves omnipresence rubs some people the wrong way, but hes always been a guy that seems to genuinely love music and has never shied away from openly crediting the bands that got him where he is today, whether directly or just as a fan. if theres gonna be one guy being presented as a token rock ambassador these days, you could do a whole lot worse

Dean

Post by Dean »

Stones should have packed it in after Their Satanic Majesties Request

Dean

Post by Dean »

No Double Fantasy either.

or half of Neil Young's entire catalog

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Probot was not the best of the batch.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

tinnitus photography

Shakespeare wrote:

one of the biggest names in mainstream rock made time to record a pretty well received labor of love project with his childhood underground heroes, and let an underground label like southern lord put it out, yet hes somehow killing rock and roll in the process? he didnt have to give any of those vocalists an easy payday like that, and he certainly didnt need to let southern lord put it out. if dave was the prick this article presents him as he would have sang the songs on that record and had his rca put it out with the standard foo fighters hype machine.

i get that daves omnipresence rubs some people the wrong way, but hes always been a guy that seems to genuinely love music and has never shied away from openly crediting the bands that got him where he is today, whether directly or just as a fan. if theres gonna be one guy being presented as a token rock ambassador these days, you could do a whole lot worse

Probot was 10 years ago. that's less than the Beatles' entire career by a couple of years.

was Wasting Light an improvement?

tinnitus photography

Daddy_played_poker wrote:

Probot was not the best of the batch.

tinnitus photography

Dean wrote:Stones should have packed it in after Their Satanic Majesties Request

because the Stones were not a one man band...

are you waiting for Pat Smear's or Courtney Hawkin's next records?

and if you think Grohl's discography even begins to approach the Stones...well, have another one.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:

Probot was 10 years ago. that's less than the Beatles' entire career by a couple of years.

ok but how does this take away from my point at all? the article, which you agreed with, presents dave as a selfish asshole who only ever promotes dave grohl, and projects like probot (and numerous other instances, ranging from greg dulli guesting on the first FF album to bob mould guesting and touring on the most recent album, plus all the sound city/sonic highway collabs, and the hundreds of bands daves referenced and credited in interviews. its not like probot is the only, or even the most recent, example of dave bringing lesser known artists into his spotlight) blatantly contradict that. the guy may be damn good at promoting himself, but hes even better at promoting other bands. your love of probot (which is a fun record, sure, though not daves best work as a drummer or sognwriter) just doesnt jive with defending the dave grohl is killing rock and roll argument.

you dont have to like his music, and you can want him to go away for a bit (hell, i love his music and i still wish hed go away for a bit) but acting like hes somehow hurting rock music is ridiculous, and just reeks of contrarianism. the guys legitimately worked hard for what he has and somehow still acts like a fan more than a performer. its not his fault there arent many guys like him left in rock. hes not the most original songwriter out there, nor does he (or any reasonable fan of his) claim so, but he does have a knack for writing songs for 20,000+ people to scream along to at a concert, and hes done it for long enough its no fluke.

as for wasting light, the consensus ive seen on it was that it was their first great record after a couple mediocre ones. people, incluidng me, generally prefer the first three FF albums over the later ones, but wasting lgiht was very well received.

this afternoon the foo fighters announced a gig for this friday night at the 700 capacity black cat in dc. $20 tickets available at the club a few hours later. like him or not, for an act of their size, thats cool as shit.

fwiw i maintain that daves best work has come as a drummer, but i think people are often too quick to write him off as a songwriter just cuz he doesnt do anyting fancy. theres always room for more huge hooky stadium anthems in my book

Dean

Post by Dean »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Dean wrote:Stones should have packed it in after Their Satanic Majesties Request

because the Stones were not a one man band...

are you waiting for Pat Smear's or Courtney Hawkin's next records?

and if you think Grohl's discography even begins to approach the Stones...well, have another one.

unless you're clairvoyant, your last statement is irrelevant.
Last edited by Dean on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.